Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 10:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228557 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Better" - discuss it in this thread
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 138 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Better" - discuss it in this thread  (Read 254523 times)
mr_yoshimaroka
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1160 on: February 23, 2006, 11:56:13 PM »

If u dont like "Better" then id almost guess u are a "My Chemical Romance" or "Fallout Boy" fan.

Cause if u cant see the genius in "Better" I feel sorry for you honestly.

Problem is, cause music is so shitty these days, people have actually been dumbed down quite a bit and when complex,great, challenging music comes out, they are unable to appreciate it.

GNR isnt easy digestible SHIT music, it takes listens to appreciate everything goin on.

The thing is (for me) it shouldn't take more than one listen to figure out what's going on in the song. It should be digestible to the ear and make sense in one take: that is the mark of genius.

I couldn't name you one song by Chemical Romance or Fallout Boy. Prince, Brian Wilson, The Beatles, Pat Metheny, Herbie Hancock, Steely Dan are some of artists amongst whom I listen to and are also able to write structurally complex songs and keep it sounding cohesive.
loretian
VIP

It would take a lot more time than you...

« Reply #1161 on: February 23, 2006, 11:58:09 PM »

If u dont like "Better" then id almost guess u are a "My Chemical Romance" or "Fallout Boy" fan.

Problem is, cause music is so shitty these days, people have actually been dumbed down quite a bit and when complex,great, challenging music comes out, they are unable to appreciate it.

GNR isnt easy digestible SHIT music, it takes listens to appreciate everything goin on.

The thing is (for me) it shouldn't take more than one listen to figure out what's going on in the song. It should be digestible to the ear and make sense in one take: that is the mark of genius.

I couldn't name you one song by Chemical Romance or Fallout Boy. Prince, Brian Wilson, The Beatles, Pat Metheny, Herbie Hancock, Steely Dan are some of artists amongst whom I listen to and are also able to write structurally complex songs and keep it sounding cohesive.

I see your point, but I still disagree.  Some of the most enjoyable music I've ever listened to took more than one listen to "get."  That's usually a good sign in my mind - if, after the first listens, it sounds good, but you don't get all parts, just keep listening.

Brian Wilson's Smile for example.

If I start to break down, it's from the love that I've found
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #1162 on: February 23, 2006, 11:58:51 PM »

dude, its just a demo..... of course there is alot of stuff going on they are still experimenting with stuff. the final version will be more organized structurally

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #1163 on: February 24, 2006, 12:01:26 AM »

is there an unedited version?

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
spacebrain5000
Rocker

feelin' like a space brain one more time tonight..

« Reply #1164 on: February 24, 2006, 12:03:27 AM »

why do things need to be cohesive?

edit: all i'm saying... people have fixed ideas of what 'good' music sounds like, what 'music' sounds like period. i don't get it. why do things need to be a certain way?
as far as i'm concerned...... this song is fucking kickass awesome x 1000000, who gives a shit?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:06:39 AM by spacebrain5000 » Logged

robots.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #1165 on: February 24, 2006, 12:05:47 AM »

someone edited the song and took out the Bucket Part and the middle section....good but generic...this is unique.... the way it is now make sit that much more juicy and wanna fuk something up....

The finished product will be amazing...

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
mr_yoshimaroka
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1166 on: February 24, 2006, 12:06:13 AM »

I see your point, but I still disagree.? Some of the most enjoyable music I've ever listened to took more than one listen to "get."? That's usually a good sign in my mind - if, after the first listens, it sounds good, but you don't get all parts, just keep listening.

Brian Wilson's Smile for example.

I think it's the production or something on Better. Sounds rushed, sloppy, cut n' paste type of thing. It needs to fixed.

Smile was complex and I didn't see a lot of things coming, but it made sense in the overall picture.

It's all subjective? but if you like it, it's great that you enjoying it!

At least this thread hasn't been bogged down into flaming arguments. ?beer
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #1167 on: February 24, 2006, 12:14:42 AM »

I'd say most of GN'Rs catalogue is easily digestible?

I've given Better multiple listens with an open mind, and it's good... with a possibility of being great, but as it stands it is not one of the greatest songs ever written.  A song can have different sounds and blips and beeps and random riffs and stuff if it's done right.  This song is just "off" a little bit.... Wait for the excitement of hearing Axl to die a little and then give it an honest listen.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #1168 on: February 24, 2006, 12:49:53 AM »

the part at 4:18 and up is kinda cool and differnt but still hate the robot noise at 3:16 and the "hardcore"? shit Axls a real good singer and shouldnt waste his voice on that shit

I'm sorry, but THAT ain't hardcore singing, it's no different to Axl's aggressive vocals on songs like Perfect Crime and alike, and I f**Kin love it! ok
It is different its alot more aggresive and rough than anything else It will probabley sound better on Chinese democracy,and I hate using that word when Im talking about the song

You're right, it is more aggressive, but it's comparable to Axl yelling "You know where the fuck you are!?!?!" before Jungle when they play it live. And I love hearing the aggression because that's part of what attracted to me to GN'R in the first place. ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
True Believer
Opening Act

« Reply #1169 on: February 24, 2006, 01:09:33 AM »

Kind of strange that the longer version is lower quality than the shorter.  Is there a full version at the better quality that is floating around.  I'm kind of an audiophile. 
BluesGNR
The Liberator
Legend

Here Today... Out for Lunch

« Reply #1170 on: February 24, 2006, 01:36:58 AM »

Kind of strange that the longer version is lower quality than the shorter.? Is there a full version at the better quality that is floating around.? I'm kind of an audiophile.?

Good call.. I'm crossing my fingers that the shorter one will be on the album and the longer one was scrapped.. we'll see!

You'll Find Your Inspiration GN'F'nR

2002: 12.6&8
2006: 5.12&14&15&17 11.5&10&13&24
2011: 11.15 12.10
2012: 2.19&24 11.17
2014: 5.13&28&30
2016: 4.1&8&9 6.23 7.1&3. 8.9&12
DOASHK
p00p yea
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1171 on: February 24, 2006, 01:39:56 AM »

Kind of strange that the longer version is lower quality than the shorter.  Is there a full version at the better quality that is floating around.  I'm kind of an audiophile. 

i dont think its better quality, someone just booted it up to 192 when they did that
Bubba St. Rose
Headliner

Jim Norton is my dad. O&A Party Rocks!

« Reply #1172 on: February 24, 2006, 01:42:14 AM »

Bottom line - Better is fantastic. one of the best songs I've heard in years. that middle section that some people are complaining about - it's awesome. The screaming, the music. All the changes going on is what makes axl just a little bit better than the rest. Quite frankly - and I've been a fan since I bought AFD in 1987 - this is one of the BEST GNR songs ever. It isn't your standard four chord crap that is so popular today. It's definately has that Queen style of throwing strange shit into the song. And it's about 1000 times better than IRS. Now that's a generic song. 1000 times better than generic song Chinese Democracy. 1000 times better than Rhiad. In my opinion, this is the order of best to worst of new gnr so far:
1. Better
2. Twat
3. The Blues
4.  Madagascar
5. Oh my god
6. IRS
7. Chinese Democracy
8. Rhiad

Opie and Anthony XM Satellite Radio 202 High Voltage Spread the Virus
Strother Martin
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1173 on: February 24, 2006, 02:26:02 AM »

Thanks everyone.  My decade is officially made.  peace
Mr.Intensity
Banned
Legend

Intensity, Integrity, Intelligence

« Reply #1174 on: February 24, 2006, 02:30:12 AM »

Thanks everyone.  My decade is officially made.  peace

There's more to come as well my friend, Mr. Intensity is working night in day to bring you another track.. its E.T.A is within a few days... be on the look out... I have a feeling someone is going to bite on my $100.00 offer for a track soon.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 02:43:42 AM by Mr.Intensity » Logged
Megaguns
« Reply #1175 on: February 24, 2006, 03:28:33 AM »

HOLY FUCK, i just got home from work, got the full version of better! That part that goes:     I never wanted you to be so full of anger
I never wanted you to be somebody else
I never wanted you to be someone afraid to know themselves
I only wanted you to see things for yourself

It ripped my fukin head off,   it sound sso evil!!!!! I love it, that last solo rules too. Sounds very disorganised at the end though. like its a demo or something?  Wink
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1176 on: February 24, 2006, 03:49:47 AM »

Really? The full version of better is out? Please tell me that its a vast improvement on that clip.....

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #1177 on: February 24, 2006, 03:52:02 AM »

Really? The full version of better is out? Please tell me that its a vast improvement on that clip.....

Depends if you like heavy guitar riff madness and Axl going off like a mad banshee or not... ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #1178 on: February 24, 2006, 03:54:40 AM »

Aaaargh I certainly do!

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
prolog
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1179 on: February 24, 2006, 04:10:12 AM »

OMG!! The full version of the demo really rocks, Buckethead owns this track. I could not get enough of the way they unleashed that huge energy and vibe. I thought that this song would be one-dimensional listening to the earlier clip, oh boy was I wrong.

I would even go out on a limb to say that they seemed holding out even during the middle part. I think they can still push it some more...

and to all those who think BH is better than Finck or vice versa, this track proves they can work together and rock.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 138 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: