Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 06:26:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228556 Posts in 43275 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Better" - discuss it in this thread
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 138 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Better" - discuss it in this thread  (Read 254360 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1080 on: February 23, 2006, 08:05:16 PM »

I love the 2:06

Gotta wait till I get home to hear the full version.

I think its one of the best GNR songs ever.

Doesnt sound at all like GNR though but thats not a bad thing.

Im proud Axl isnt tryin to sound like vintage GNR.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #1081 on: February 23, 2006, 08:06:56 PM »

The full version kicks ass, if you read the majority of reactions, people here love it.

The great thing about this song is that nobody can agree on any part of the song. Some like the heavy bit, some like the Robin solo, some like the beginning, and so on.

As for transitions/smoothness - this is only a demo.

The sudden change is great because it suckerpunches you and then rocks hard. It's good to hear GN'R rocking hard after all this time. Many of the great GN'R songs have these sudden changes - Locomotive, Coma, November Rain, Rocket Queen.....

Axl just got raw on our asses, and it's about time!

@#$%Funker

What you think is a great thing about this song I think is a pretty bad thing about it...if you love part of it but hate the other and I hate part of it, but love the other then nobody REALLY likes the entire song.  I'd rather be hearing people say I hated it 100%, or I loved it 110% (which some do seem to be saying).  I think the avg. person is goin to say, its cool in some parts, but kinda wierd....and move on to the next song out there.

As for the songs you mention..the transitions are MUCH MUCH better and smoother.  Listen to the changes in Oh my god...they are horrible.  When that little guitar riff comes in...just sounds SOOO bad.  the first time i heard it i cringed. 

Honestly, some of you REALLY LOVE the robot noises???  they sound horrible and wreck the song.  I can't help but feel like people are making excuses for them just b/c its GNR.  To each their own though.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1082 on: February 23, 2006, 08:09:04 PM »

does anyomne feel the 2 minute 6 seconds was the version that had the most potential..? I feel that way with some tunes n tweaks witht eh rest.. Big mess going there..
GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #1083 on: February 23, 2006, 08:09:18 PM »

God this full version makes me a saaaad panda.

awwww dont be a sad panda ?Sad

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1084 on: February 23, 2006, 08:09:45 PM »

Ive been tryin to tell people for years now.

to appreciate this u better get ready to expand your boundaries.

this isnt some 21 century cookie cutter easy digestible rock shit.

So u better get ready to listen outside the box if u are even gonna attempt to like this.

mlewis
Rocker

« Reply #1085 on: February 23, 2006, 08:10:44 PM »

Well I'm much more convinced by this full version. I thought the 2.06 demo was just uninteresting- but it's really just laying the basic themes. Frankly, I don't want an easy, 3 minute pop song of any kind- these kind of complex but rewarding songs is what brought me to GnR in the first place.

I'll agree it's a bit disjointed- but this is just a demo, that's the kind of thing that is fairly easy to remedy on the final track.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1086 on: February 23, 2006, 08:12:11 PM »

So u better get ready to listen outside the box if u are even gonna attempt to like this.

D most people are acting like they never heard a guitar solo before..  People on these bopards are going ga ga over everything regardless of it's complication..
SecondSucks
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1087 on: February 23, 2006, 08:12:40 PM »

I don't really like that guitar part from 2:18 to 2:30. Doesn't seem to fit the flow of the song. I also don't like how after the 2:06 part ends the whole "No one ever told me when...." part (which I think sounds completely KICKASS) isn't thrown in there anymore until the very end. Use that part more in the second half, even if it's in the background of something else that's going on.

Good song though, otherwise. Axl's yelling part and the lead-up to it is awesome. Can't wait to hear the final version.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:17:23 PM by SecondSucks » Logged
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #1088 on: February 23, 2006, 08:13:11 PM »

The full version kicks ass, if you read the majority of reactions, people here love it.

The great thing about this song is that nobody can agree on any part of the song. Some like the heavy bit, some like the Robin solo, some like the beginning, and so on.

As for transitions/smoothness - this is only a demo.

The sudden change is great because it suckerpunches you and then rocks hard. It's good to hear GN'R rocking hard after all this time. Many of the great GN'R songs have these sudden changes - Locomotive, Coma, November Rain, Rocket Queen.....

Axl just got raw on our asses, and it's about time!

@#$%Funker

What you think is a great thing about this song I think is a pretty bad thing about it...if you love part of it but hate the other and I hate part of it, but love the other then nobody REALLY likes the entire song.? I'd rather be hearing people say I hated it 100%, or I loved it 110% (which some do seem to be saying).? I think the avg. person is goin to say, its cool in some parts, but kinda wierd....and move on to the next song out there.

As for the songs you mention..the transitions are MUCH MUCH better and smoother.? Listen to the changes in Oh my god...they are horrible.? When that little guitar riff comes in...just sounds SOOO bad.? the first time i heard it i cringed.?

Honestly, some of you REALLY LOVE the robot noises?Huh they sound horrible and wreck the song.? I can't help but feel like people are making excuses for them just b/c its GNR.? To each their own though.

Everyone has their own tastes but please don't ever suggest that I would ever defend a song just because it's GN'R (I hope there aren't to many here who would) - I was luke warm on IRS and TWAT although they are good songs. This, however, just blows me away.

Guns N' Roses always had impact, this has impact and it rocks. We needed a song like this because none of the others have rocked hard whch is what I believe GN'R should be doing alongside the likes of Madagascar and THe Blues.

Besides, anyone who isn't willing to open their minds to some new and groundbreaking stuff is gonna be very dissappointed with the album.

@#$%Funker
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:15:07 PM by Mutherfunker » Logged
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #1089 on: February 23, 2006, 08:14:51 PM »

For me, its not a question of being narrow minded musically....its just a poorly put together song...it doesn't sound "right" to me.  Feels like I'm driving at 40 MPH, then you SLAM on the gas and go all the way up to 120...then the car comes to a TOTAL HALT and makes some robot noises and then we're back at 40 MPH.  Not a fun ride (esp the robot noises....I feel like i'm playing legend of zelda or something haha).

I'll say no more on the topic though (well, I'll try not too haha).  I'll wait till we hear the final cut.

Mutherfunker - my comments about people liking the song b/c its GNR weren't directed at you or anyone else in particular for that matter. Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 08:17:21 PM by HannaHat » Logged

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1090 on: February 23, 2006, 08:19:01 PM »

I havent heard it yet Hannah so u  may be right. Im just sayin, this is music that u have to hear more than once or twice to truly appreciate.

Hell after one listen I was ready to slam "Better" now after about 25 listens, i rank it in my all time GNR favorites.

GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #1091 on: February 23, 2006, 08:19:28 PM »

The most shocking thing is probably the riff that kicks in at 2:32, it's cool as hell but soooooooo unlike GNR!! Good to see Axl trying different styles and sounds though.

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #1092 on: February 23, 2006, 08:22:07 PM »

Better, to me, sounds like a perfect Roller Coaster / Amusement park ride type of song.  To me, its meant to be an experience, not just a 'song'.  Maybe I'm crazy, but I like it, alot.

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1093 on: February 23, 2006, 08:22:57 PM »

everyone remember though how we slammed CB cause it was so safe? How they didnt take any chances?

I am proud Axl isnt sticking to the safe side and has his balls out there and tryin new stuff.

GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #1094 on: February 23, 2006, 08:23:13 PM »

Oh and what the fuck is that at ?3:16??! Sounds like a robot masturbating!

Dead N' Bloated
Legend

Too many times to make it home.

« Reply #1095 on: February 23, 2006, 08:26:50 PM »

Oh and what the fuck is that at ?3:16??! Sounds like a robot masturbating!

LOL. Thats fuckin funny. I thought the exact same thing. But I love the song.

peace

10/06/07 Perth
13/06/07 ADL
15/06/07 MELB
16/06/07 MELB
19/06/07 BRIS
20/06/07 BRIS
23/06/07 SYD
24/06/07 SYD
04/12/10 SYD
12/03/13 SYD
13/03/13 NEWCASTLE
20/03/13 BRIS
...and then some
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #1096 on: February 23, 2006, 08:27:26 PM »

hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi hihi

Damn cant wait to hear that, nothing says a hit single more than masturbating robots!

mega_music
VIP

Chinese Democracy Is Coming Some Day!!!

« Reply #1097 on: February 23, 2006, 08:40:24 PM »

Oh and what the fuck is that at  3:16??! Sounds like a robot masturbating!

One of my favorite parts of the song!! This song is so heavy!! I got goosebumps when I heard it break loose! I also agree that there are parts of the song that sound pasted in, however you have to remember these are demos and not the final product.

I'm also loving how the song ends. I cant wait to hear it on my system in my truck. I bet this thing jams!

Chinese Democracy is Coming Someday
-Trevor-
Always
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #1098 on: February 23, 2006, 08:45:11 PM »

some one is screwing with us!!!!!!

this is not the real "better"

its just parts put together
Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #1099 on: February 23, 2006, 08:47:15 PM »

some one is screwing with us!!!!!!

this is not the real "better"

its just parts put together

good one, dude rofl

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 138 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: