Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 04:20:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  "Better" - discuss it in this thread
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 138 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Better" - discuss it in this thread  (Read 253396 times)
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #560 on: February 19, 2006, 07:20:34 PM »

I'm a fan since the AFD days and I LOVE these new songs... I guess rather than the classic AFD sound- the thing I always loved about GN'R was just how much a$$ their songs kicked (no matter the sound) in comparison to other bands... I loved how they had 3 songs like WTTJ, PC and SCOM on ONE FREAKIN' ALBUM... or NR, YCBM, DC, CW, Estranged, etc. on one double album.... in both eras (87-89) and (91-93) it just basically made the competition look futile and ineffective.... I just love the fact that whenver they've actually been "active" ?they've dominated the world... an album of AFD rockers won't get them there now... songs like Better and The Blues, among others, will...

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #561 on: February 19, 2006, 07:48:39 PM »

and by that statement your basically telling me nothing can be groundbreaking by this band..
Who said that?? You just see things in posts that you wanna see.

Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #562 on: February 19, 2006, 08:59:22 PM »

so I guess we aint getting the full version of better?  Think I'll head to bed. I'm starting to feel how you feel when the drugs wear off ... last few days have been a total high and now I'm crashing. lol

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #563 on: February 19, 2006, 09:13:52 PM »

Saul, if I "score" while you're asleep, I'll be sure to inject a large dose of speed into the vein of your PM box. hihi

Gaymo, the Hobbit
Banned
Legend

« Reply #564 on: February 19, 2006, 09:19:26 PM »

so I guess we aint getting the full version of better?? Think I'll head to bed. I'm starting to feel how you feel when the drugs wear off ... last few days have been a total high and now I'm crashing. lol

edit
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 09:57:58 PM by Brownstone » Logged

The only son of a bitch with enough piss, vinegar and kill-?em-all attitude to shove an M-80 up rock?s collective ass right now is Axl Rose. [LA Weekly]
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #565 on: February 19, 2006, 10:21:33 PM »

At first i thought Betterwas great like everyone else, but right now i dont know. I'll wait until we get the final product to criticize or praise the song. remember, everyone including me thought IRS was very good until hearing the final version, and now its not considered among the best new songs. I still like IRS more than TWAT, and it may also replace Better.

I mentioned this in other threads but im not blown away but the music or production at all. Some guitar parts or synth start to get a bit annoying. And the production seems hit or miss. Like I dont want to hear an average guitar solo when an amazing orchestra is playing in the background at the same time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 10:27:45 PM by jabba2 » Logged
shaved
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #566 on: February 19, 2006, 11:06:29 PM »

I think IRS sounds absolutely horrid.? I pray this isnt on the album because it is embarrasing to say the least.? I can't even play it in a room without being told to "SHUT THAT SHIT OFF"

I think that "Better" is going to be an incredible song.? Something magical is going to happen after it cuts out.

"There Was a Time" is a great song.?

What scares me though is that so far I have only heard guns and roses.? I want to here GNFNRS!!!.? T.W.A.T and the "Better" clip give me hope, but there better be at least 4 hard hitting songs on ChinDem.? There is no way this album will make it if he doesnt have a HARD rock single.? He got away with it with November rain.. but its been too long for him to bust out an 8 minute ballad as his first single and hope to hit it big.

We'll just have to see if axl still has a set of balls on him.? So far he hasnt shown that, and if you think these songs are hard.. ha..haha.? I am not saying there wont be.. just hoping there will be.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 11:08:59 PM by shaved » Logged
destroier
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #567 on: February 19, 2006, 11:31:52 PM »

Try playing it in Windows Media Player and up the play speed to 1.3 under enhancements.

I like it much better at normal speed.
DOASHK
p00p yea
Banned
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #568 on: February 20, 2006, 12:47:00 AM »

daaaaaaaaang whats up with the sudden lack of leakage, i neeeeed the full version of better
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #569 on: February 20, 2006, 01:22:01 AM »

i feel like this song is a great bridge between the old and the new.. when i first heard the begining i was like wtf is this crap.... but the song really picks up after the intro.. and by by third listen i was digging it.. i can't wait to hear the full version..  the sound to me is unique... it has the gnr sound to it.. but still sounds new.. close to perfect.. just missing that killer bluesy solo..  then  again i've only heard a 2 min clip... so maybe there is a slash solo some where in the middle of song...
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #570 on: February 20, 2006, 02:02:42 AM »

Axls vocals sound great on Better (which lends further weight to my theory that it aint a demo but the first single)

The rest of his vocals on these demos are patchy especially IRS. He's just not projecting on this song -  very much as he wasn't on the live shows of 2002. It's quite probably a range thing - Maddy, CD and Better are all in a good range for Axl to sing now - IRS he's reaching (even on the celebrated 10 sec scream) and not quite pulling it off.

I love the Blues and I'm hoping he does a hell of lot better with the vocals than he did on the 2002 shows. Again, he was really reaching to project on these and not quite cutting it. Thats one of the reasons Im so looking forward to a studio version, to be able to hear that great song with the vocals they deserve

TWAT vocals arent bad - again, IRS and TWAT are clearly demos, Im sure the finished versions will be much better.

But if IRS is the first single, I think thats a mistake and Axl is definitley going to have  to produce a better vocal performance than that if he's to silence his (many) critics.

As always, just my 2 cents

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #571 on: February 20, 2006, 02:25:23 AM »

Have to say Better just rocks, personally I lve the begining, and how it incorprated later on in the tune
\

Good call. I love it when it's in the background during the verses, and is also the chorus melody.

I agree as well - I was gonna mention this earlier

That part works really well, and kind of brings the key chorus melody into focus - very cool

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #572 on: February 20, 2006, 02:36:11 AM »

To the people who are.. I dunno.. sad/disapointed in Axls vocal preformance in IRS or TWAT...

Its important to see that its a demo. Often vocals are put in place before the song is done just to give an idea of what is where. The final vocals will be classic Axl

gnrevolution.com
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #573 on: February 20, 2006, 02:58:56 AM »

I hope Jack and Jimmy are right, because some of these vocals leave alot to be desired. I will go out on a limb that they sound uninspiring at times. But like you guys said, its the demo factor. Listen to Crash Diet, Just another Sunday,Bring it Back Home, etc. as examples. Those songs could have been taken to another level if they had wanted to. There have been more honest opinions about IRS and how it is weak since the newest leak. It will be interesting to see if that plays a factor in whether or not it makes the album.

jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #574 on: February 20, 2006, 03:26:06 AM »

in honestlyu for myself , and hell Im the only one I have to be honest with to live with myelf. IRS is saved by the guitar work, not axls best lyrical perfomance, , I like the tune, but , at the end of the day its more like a Shotguns BLues song, Ill know the words listen to it, here and there, but it doesnt emotionally hit me , but T.W.A.T and Better do absolutely, and knowing that keeps me hanging in!

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
badapple81
« Reply #575 on: February 20, 2006, 03:38:26 AM »

I hope Jack and Jimmy are right, because some of these vocals leave alot to be desired. I will go out on a limb that they sound uninspiring at times. But like you guys said, its the demo factor. Listen to Crash Diet, Just another Sunday,Bring it Back Home, etc. as examples. Those songs could have been taken to another level if they had wanted to. There have been more honest opinions about IRS and how it is weak since the newest leak. It will be interesting to see if that plays a factor in whether or not it makes the album.

The vocals on Better are great.. the really broken voice like November Rain. The 'Better' part between verses 1 and 2 are just angry and insane! I love it!

The vocals on IRS actually remind me of the vocals on Crash Diet at homes. I'm quite happy with them but who knows how they might sound on the finished version.. even better maybe.

I think TWAT is very raw. They remind me of the vocals on Sympathy For The Devil. I'm not sure whether going to a more broken style would suit the song though but I still think they need a little work. They are demos so I am sure they will be a lot different.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #576 on: February 20, 2006, 03:46:06 AM »

The vocals on Better are great.. the really broken voice like November Rain. The 'Better' part between verses 1 and 2 are just angry and insane! I love it!

The vocals on IRS actually remind me of the vocals on Crash Diet at homes. I'm quite happy with them but who knows how they might sound on the finished version.. even better maybe.

I think TWAT is very raw. They remind me of the vocals on Sympathy For The Devil. I'm not sure whether going to a more broken style would suit the song though but I still think they need a little work. They are demos so I am sure they will be a lot different.
I was actually referring to the other songs. I should have made that clear in my post. Better is a much more polished demo than the other two. Sounds great. TWAT vocals dont even come close to that, but its obvious it hadn't been worked on that much. IRS is just a mess. I can see why management doesnt want this stuff all over the radio. It might turn off people who aren't GNR fans that might have bought the album just out of curiousity.

badapple81
« Reply #577 on: February 20, 2006, 03:56:26 AM »

I was actually referring to the other songs. I should have made that clear in my post. Better is a much more polished demo than the other two. Sounds great. TWAT vocals dont even come close to that, but its obvious it hadn't been worked on that much. IRS is just a mess. I can see why management doesnt want this stuff all over the radio. It might turn off people who aren't GNR fans that might have bought the album just out of curiousity.

I love IRS personally but it could probably be better with some mixing and editing. TWAT certainly needs more of the two. Some of the solos, lyrics and the vocals in parts are amazing. I really feel his vocals in parts but overall it needs lots of polishing I agree.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #578 on: February 20, 2006, 05:20:59 AM »

will axl being doing the snake dance when better opens... Seems like a song where he will be doing the snake dance and one legged back peddle Grin also making those orgasm faces peace
Dont Try Me
Life Without You
Legend

« Reply #579 on: February 20, 2006, 05:55:24 AM »

will axl being doing the snake dance when better opens... Seems like a song where he will be doing the snake dance and one legged back peddle Grin also making those orgasm faces peace

that's funny, I can imagina that. I can also imagine TWAT beeing the closer with confetti stuff at the end, fireworks. But we've only heard 33% of democracy really. There will be allot more mindblowing songs then we could imagine.

Guns N' Roses - Dessel (Graspop)- 24 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Rotterdam - 4 juni 2012
Guns N' Roses - Arnhem - 3 oktober 2010 - amazing!!!
Guns N' Roses - Nijmegen - 2 july 2006 - kickass!!!
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 138 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: