Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 01:48:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Heres a question about Singles (Music you moron)
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heres a question about Singles (Music you moron)  (Read 3117 times)
Randy Jesus
VIP

This Never Happened, It's Just a Dream...

« on: March 16, 2007, 11:17:44 AM »

Doesn't the label dictate what the single is going to be, since they are the ones selling the album? If that is true we might hear a big gun first. Maybe thats why they are trying to pull better of the radio?
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 11:19:39 AM »

It depends on the artist I guess.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Randy Jesus
VIP

This Never Happened, It's Just a Dream...

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 11:24:17 AM »

/jarmo

It is be interesting to see what happens, after it is turned in. If there is a stronger song than better, I would think that Geffen is going to push it as the first single.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 11:27:11 AM »

/jarmo

It is be interesting to see what happens, after it is turned in. If there is a stronger song than better, I would think that Geffen is going to push it as the first single.

And why wouldn't Axl want to release the best song?

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 11:34:40 AM »

i think that axl and the label will decide what is the best choice...with axl getting a bit more say in the matter

I'd like to hope the choice of single has already been worked out Undecided

chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 11:39:04 AM »

/jarmo

And why wouldn't Axl want to release the best song?

?I don't think Don't Cry is the best song on UYI but it was the first single from those albums (Civil War was released on that Romanian Benefit Album and YCBM was on the soundtrack).

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:09:19 PM »

I don't think Don't Cry is the best song on UYI but it was the first single from those albums (Civil War was released on that Romanian Benefit Album and YCBM was on the soundtrack).

Not the best, but most suitable for a single after YCBM had been used. So in that regard it was the best song.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 12:18:17 PM »

In the case of a lot of bands the label has the final say. But I have no doubt that with Chinese Democracy, Axl has the final say on everything. The more established a band, the more that is the case. In other words, if the label needs the band more than the band needs the label, then the band will have more of a say in the decision-making process. Nothing happens without Axl's permission, we've seen that many times so far. The label may make suggestions and have a preference, but without question Axl will have the final say.

Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 12:24:51 PM »

Doesn't the label dictate what the single is going to be, since they are the ones selling the album? If that is true we might hear a big gun first. Maybe thats why they are trying to pull better of the radio?

The record label has a HUGE say in what single is put on the radio..good point...however an established act like Guns N Roses probably has alot more pull than another artist...If you remember the label put "Sweet Child" out as a single and the band got pissed about that...it was originally supposed to be a filler song....but GNR had little say back then because they were a new artist....
spyder8739
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 12:25:44 PM »

Yeah, it's doubtful after this many years of work that Axl would leave something this significant up to a record label.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 12:36:01 PM »

Not the best, but most suitable for a single after YCBM had been used. So in that regard it was the best song

There must be too many best songs to choose.
among them I think a song like Better would be suitable for marking a new epoch.
gangs_n_robbers
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 03:20:28 PM »

i think the whole thing about better not being the big gun and there being a 'better' song is just a rumour, people want to think that there is something bigger than better on the album. i dont blame them, if better is the best song, and we heard it in feb. 2006, it will kind of take away from the anticipation. i know if i get CD and better / the blues / madagascar are the best songs on it,ill be dissapointed. not because the cd will suck, but if thats the case what was all the wait/ hype over? we have heard the best songs. but on the other hand if cd drops and there are a few incredible songs we have no idea about, then it will be a huge event. thats what im hoping for. cmon 'sorry'!
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 03:24:44 PM »

I think we already have a presedan on this issue.
OMG was a single. forced on the band.

there are also other cases when record companies chose the singles.
I thinkthere might have been such issues in the past as well.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
rubinho.ma
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 03:42:00 PM »

I insist TWAT should be the first single! beer It has far more GNR's mood and feeling along with Axl's signature melodies than any other new song, unless they want to use THE BLUES, the only one that draws with or maybe surpasses TWAT. WHY DO SO FEW PEOPLE AGREE?? hihi
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 03:50:11 PM »

I insist TWAT should be the first single! beer It has far more GNR's mood and feeling along with Axl's signature melodies than any other new song, unless they want to use THE BLUES, the only one that draws with or maybe surpasses TWAT. WHY DO SO FEW PEOPLE AGREE?? hihi

Because GnR are primarily a hard rock band. I don't know how you feel TWAT has more of GNR's mood than Better and IRS, which are hard rock songs.

rubinho.ma
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 04:11:59 PM »

Because GnR are primarily a hard rock band. I don't know how you feel TWAT has more of GNR's mood than Better and IRS, which are hard rock songs.

Mainly on BETTER, I can't hear nothing that feels like hard rock on its roots. It's much more an industrial rock song, more like NIN ones. Regardin the GNR's mood and Axl's signature melodies, I was referring to UYIs era, with all that epic power ballads that conquered the world.
asylumdave
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 04:30:01 PM »

http://www.raleighmusicacademy.com/images/shows/bumblefoot/bbf_paul2_11.13.04.jpg
http://www.raleighmusicacademy.com/bbf.html

downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 06:49:30 PM »

In the end, regardless of how established or big a band is, the record company has final say concerning which songs become singles.  What happens a lot of the time is a band will pick three or four songs which they're fine with releasing as singles, and the record execs decide which one comes out first based on market research and focus groups.  Now if Axl and the band insists that a certain song be the first single, I doubt Geffen/Universal/Interscope would fight them tooth and nail unless it was a really bad choice (think Silkworms or My World).

Based on my own research (through informal surveys of my gnr and non-gnr friendly friends), the Blues will definitely NOT be the first single, if a single at all.  You have to be a GNR fan to like this song; it doesn't grab the non-fans like Better, TWAT, or even IRS.  To me it sounds like Axl's trying to write a Broadway musical. 

A first single should be something that sums up the feeling of the album.  Not sure if the first message you want to send to long-ago fans is something called "The Blues."  If I were to guess, Better or something we haven't heard yet will be the new single.  I think due to the leaks (especially the recent leak), Better will not be the first single.  You would think the record company would want to get as much impact as possible; releasing a song that's been heard by many people won't cause the stir that an unreleased song would. 

But those are just my two cents,

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
cybercurves
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 07:27:23 PM »

Yeah, the label has a say as well as the artist, it goes both ways.  But you don't release the best song as a single....since there may be perhaps 3 or 4 potential singles.  You release the most marketable one, which is not necessarily the best tune. 
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 07:41:21 PM »

i don't care either way if its a song we've heard already or if its a new one. I'm almost hoping its a new song 'cause i'm anxiousto hear General or Thyme or Seven and especially Sorry and Prostitute yes

all those song titles sound so Bad ass its unbelieveable, with just the song titles alone you can almost imagine how the song might sound headbanger and they all sound pretty fucking good smoking

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: