Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 01:17:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The future of war - mechanized robots?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The future of war - mechanized robots?  (Read 7524 times)
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 06:34:26 PM »

I fear the day when we invent advanced A.I.
We should probably try to figure out what intelligence actually is before we try pumping it out on a production line.

Directed-Energy weapons will likely see the battlefield before any sort of truly advanced, self-reliant A.I. device. Which seems to eliminate the need for robo-troops. Besides which, what fun is the technology if you can't r/c it? If we're going to create  surrogate battlefield killing machines, I wanna play.
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 12:08:35 AM »

what you will get though is things that were being looked at for FCS equipment. where you have a smat suit of carbon muscles that you can wear over you skin to increase your own lifting capacity. Aswell you can have an exo-suit in varrying styles that allow for a human to wear a haevy armour suit and carry heavier weapons... down to a extremly light skelton that will make a human capable of jumping 15-20ft in the air or running 100m in 3-4s.....thats what is more likely to appear in the next 10-50yrs for militray combat.

I have read about this and it's extremely fascinating. It would in effect be a 'living' suit using advanced nanotechnology. The suit would form after your body and relax your muscles so that you could run virtually forever, jump high distances and carry/lift very heavy objects. It would also be able to blend with the enviroment making you invicible, and if a bullet or projectile comes your way the suit would detect it and 'armor' itself to withstand the impact.

And it's probably closer to 10 years than 50. I've already seen demonstrations of some of these things.

ya these are more likely to be closer to 10 then 50 yrs, however the problem is manufacturing, the nao strands still have to be grown which takes time, and to make the suits we are talking about you will require about a years worth of growth to make just one. thses soft suits will be the bomb thats for sure.

the most likely is the hard frame exo-skeleton, 90% of the required manufacturing processes are already suited for mass production and can easily be fabbed..... the other 10% is close...... but not quite there.

one of the biggest obsticles still remains making a computer small enough or redundant enough to survie battlefeid conditions and not become a liability for the soldiers that employ them.

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2007, 06:35:06 AM »

I've actually seen some pretty amazing work being done on the LOPES project?at one of our dutch universities...these exoskeletons have always fascinated me...
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: