Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 03:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  The future of war - mechanized robots?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The future of war - mechanized robots?  (Read 7527 times)
The Dog
Legend

« on: March 14, 2007, 01:29:22 PM »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lL7QnCAmcWQ

this is pretty awesome looking, i wonder if we'll ever see the day of things like this replacing tanks/armored vehicles.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 01:34:45 PM »

Sooner than you think.

Once the government can put something like this into effect they will have free hands in their foreign war efforts since there will be no kasket pics or crying families on television (not that there's too much of that as it is).

Iraq is only the beginning.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »

Sooner than you think.

Once the government can put something like this into effect they will have free hands in their foreign war efforts since there will be no kasket pics or crying families on television (not that there's too much of that as it is).

Iraq is only the beginning.

right now they're using robots for missions from everything to scouting out areas in caves, disabling bombs, survelliance (predator drones) to even combat missions.

i love FUTURE WEAPONS - great show.  my friend looks just like the host hahah.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 04:11:52 PM »

taht thing looks like it would fall apart if it went to far...def looks cool though

polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 04:14:52 PM »

I fear the day when we invent advanced A.I.

GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 05:59:09 PM »

some of those they have now or are working on them but they're in the testing phase Smiley

it'll be a hands free war Cheesy

hypothetical question here, if there was like a World War III do you think people would be cool about it on the board or do you think board members will turn on eachother? i hope that doesn't happen

Can't we all just get along peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 06:10:14 PM »

terminator anyone?

we're gonna get owned sooner or later

html sucks
Sin Cut
Lovegun
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 06:19:49 PM »

no problemo

"The real reason a man hits on a girl - is to fight masturbation."
acdcUSSR
Rocker

Here Tomorrow...

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 06:22:20 PM »

What's the point of robots fighting robots? Just nuke the mothers.

You dig, what the fuck I'm saying? Homefuck!?
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 06:29:42 PM »

terminator anyone?

we're gonna get owned sooner or later

lol when i first saw how they were gonna make these things on the discovery channel i said the same thing  Cheesy Tongue

technology is getting way out there man.

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
anythinggoes
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 07:19:31 PM »

that reminded me of a cross between Ed209 from Robocop and the mech suit from aliens

i wonder how many of our movie fears will actually come true
Danny Top Hat
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 07:32:16 PM »

Life imitates art, not the other way around. Wink

Yes, it looks like them things from Terminator.  I've also seen the same things in a million anime shows so it's no suprise the Japanese made this first.  I say make these things remote control and teach them to fly, then i'll be impressed.  I'll even save up for one. ok
The Chad Cometh
Mike Stewart is God
VIP

Don't think Axl! Makes my dick itch!

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 08:26:10 PM »

Looks more like this thing from Robocop than anything from terminator ...

hihi

But it doesn't walk, it just slides it's feet ... not going be much good in any sort of terrain except a shed  yes

Are you guys aware that they actually made a working mech when they were shooting Matrix Revolutions?

I was living to the best of my ability, now I'm living in correctional facility
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 08:33:05 PM »

It looked like it was about to fall apart.

But it was still cool nevertheless. i hope im still around when they start using mechs in warfare.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 11:49:08 PM »

Someday, about 200 years from now, some dude will be on CNN saying:

"The Israeli armed robots entered the Gaza Strip today, using their AI gunships to take out a Palestinian supercomputer with known ties to militant robot groups.  This incursion came after armed Palestinian robots fired rockets across the border at Israeli civilian robots.  Of course, at this point the conflict between these two robot forces has gone on for so long, that no one really knows when it began.  What can be clearly stated is that the ongoing violence between these two robot populations has very deep root causes, chief among them being that BOTH populations lay claim to the stockpiles of Pennzoil stashed beneath the Temple Mount."   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
SLCPUNK
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 12:02:57 AM »

If toyota makes one, then I have something to worry about....
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 11:48:33 AM »

Roll Eyes

give me 1500 bucks and ill build ya one......

and you dont have to worry about something like this poping up in the next 25yrs....... individual unit cost for a weaponised version ..... what am i talking about...... if you weaponised that.... you could kill it with small arms fire...... with ease..... so to make one that looks like and preforms like that... it would way 100t....... and you could still take it out with a mine..... and steel cable.... or an rpg.........

the problem is material science is not to a point where we have a readily aviable extremely light and strong compund that could be used in its construction.

the bonus of using "unmanned" units for attack is that you can make em small and make em cheap and have the same or better fire power as a human based unit. so you get many more for teh same cost.

what you will get though is things that were being looked at for FCS equipment. where you have a smat suit of carbon muscles that you can wear over you skin to increase your own lifting capacity. Aswell you can have an exo-suit in varrying styles that allow for a human to wear a haevy armour suit and carry heavier weapons... down to a extremly light skelton that will make a human capable of jumping 15-20ft in the air or running 100m in 3-4s.....thats what is more likely to appear in the next 10-50yrs for militray combat.

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 12:17:46 PM »

That was pretty cool though. Must've taken a while.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 03:39:55 PM »

what you will get though is things that were being looked at for FCS equipment. where you have a smat suit of carbon muscles that you can wear over you skin to increase your own lifting capacity. Aswell you can have an exo-suit in varrying styles that allow for a human to wear a haevy armour suit and carry heavier weapons... down to a extremly light skelton that will make a human capable of jumping 15-20ft in the air or running 100m in 3-4s.....thats what is more likely to appear in the next 10-50yrs for militray combat.

I have read about this and it's extremely fascinating. It would in effect be a 'living' suit using advanced nanotechnology. The suit would form after your body and relax your muscles so that you could run virtually forever, jump high distances and carry/lift very heavy objects. It would also be able to blend with the enviroment making you invicible, and if a bullet or projectile comes your way the suit would detect it and 'armor' itself to withstand the impact.

And it's probably closer to 10 years than 50. I've already seen demonstrations of some of these things.

GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 06:18:22 PM »

Are you guys aware that they actually made a working mech when they were shooting Matrix Revolutions?

they also made a life size/like robot in Terminator III. The T-1 if i remember right.

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: