Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 22, 2024, 10:05:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228098 Posts in 43259 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  My 'Welcome to the Jungle' essay
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: My 'Welcome to the Jungle' essay  (Read 4217 times)
gangs_n_robbers
« on: March 12, 2007, 02:39:49 AM »

Hey my name is Matt . im in my 3rd year at Dalhousie university in Halifax, Nova Scotia (went to the nov 20th gnr show) and I am in a course here "the history of rock n roll". Our term paper is supposed to be "_________ is one of the greatest songs of all time because _____" so we get to pick the song / band and then we have to argue for them. I choose GNR obviously, im a gnr freak as most of you probably are. I decided on Welcome to the Jungle because i think its an anthem for L.A in the 80's. I had to be careful because my professor grew up in Hollywood and was 20 in 1985, he saw gnr when they jsut started so this is a guy who knows his shit. Anyways, here is my paper. Please let me know what you think, and any suggestions, its not due till april 4th. Remember that i have guidelines to write on, so if something doesnt seem to fit to you, point it out, but dont freak out because i might have put it in there just to meet the essays requirements. I hope you enjoy and i encourage all comments  beer

It wouldn't let me post the entire essay due to length issues, so here is a link to the essay:

http://pic1.piczo.com/daubs/?g=27716703
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:27:46 AM by gangs_n_robbers » Logged
EstrangedReality
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 02:43:47 AM »

No offense, but if that's your term paper? There's a lot of stuff you should fix - basic grammatical errors, for example. Also, watch your repetition. You used the word "dominated" twice in the first two sentences. And never refer to yourself when writing an essay (e.g. "I am of course referring to Guns N' Roses..."). Professors will take points off.

I'm an English major, so I'm just trying to help you, not be a prick. I'm hoping that's what you were looking for?

Good luck.
gangs_n_robbers
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007, 03:07:50 AM »

No offense, but if that's your term paper? There's a lot of stuff you should fix - basic grammatical errors, for example. Also, watch your repetition. You used the word "dominated" twice in the first two sentences. And never refer to yourself when writing an essay (e.g. "I am of course referring to Guns N' Roses..."). Professors will take points off.

I'm an English major, so I'm just trying to help you, not be a prick. I'm hoping that's what you were looking for?

Good luck.

its 4am and i just wrote it in the last hour. it has not been proof read by anybody, myself included. i put it together and put it on the site. it isn't due for a month so there is a lot of reworking to go. also the whole not referring to yourself in a paper thing is fucking bullshit! i hate it, it does not take away from your paper at all. i wouldn't do it for any other paper but this specific professor told us:

"feel free to refer to yourself in the first person in your paper because the whole idea that you aren't allowed to is complete crap and has no foundation" and then he got a standing ovation from the students, true story.

anyways thanks for your insight, the grammatical stuff i can fix myself, thats not the input i'm looking for, i'm more interested in the message of the paper. and the ideas, not the syntax. but thanks for reading! 
EstrangedReality
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007, 03:17:53 AM »

Fine, if you're looking for a response to the message of the essay, then I suppose it's fine. I just thought you wanted feedback in general to improve your essay.

also the whole not referring to yourself in a paper thing is fucking bullshit! i hate it, it does not take away from your paper at all. i wouldn't do it for any other paper but this specific professor told us:

"feel free to refer to yourself in the first person in your paper because the whole idea that you aren't allowed to is complete crap and has no foundation" and then he got a standing ovation from the students, true story.

Is Robin Williams your professor?  Huh

There's a reason for the self-reference rule. It DOES have foundation. If your professor is ignorant of this, I'd suggest not enrolling in his class next semester.
gangs_n_robbers
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 03:22:20 AM »

i personally dont believe in it. What difference does it make. I'm a history major. So alot of my papers turn into positional pieces. then it is hard sometimes to remove 'i' from the essay. Also, this guy is a music professor, and im a history major. clearly you as a english major are going to have a different view of it. I respect your opinion.
gangs_n_robbers
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 03:24:36 AM »

also i should say, this class is painfully informal. people sit there and literally talk about how they cant believe its a class. right now i have a A+ average. so im not killing myself to make this an academic article. this is a bird course so i can focus on my legit classes. So im really not worried about its scholarly merits at the moment. I posted it to this board to discuss the content of its message, not the structure.
EstrangedReality
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 03:33:47 AM »

That's cool dude.

In terms of its content, I would maybe stress a bit more how it's really a criticism against LA rather than a tribute to it. Axl was trying to expose the filth he saw around himself, rather than glorify it. That's also what helped separate GN'R from glam metal bands like Motley Crue. Compare "Girls Girls Girls" to "Rocket Queen."
gangs_n_robbers
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 03:37:45 AM »

thats what im looking for, i like it.
Grasshopper
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2007, 08:36:51 AM »

Dalhousie is a crappy school, go to a better school like Acadia.
markpeterhughes73
Headliner

Waiting, waiting, waiting some more... Chin Dem?

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 08:40:49 AM »

I agree with Russian Roulette on the context but was very ingrossed reading your essay.  I was into GNR in their early days and your essay re-captured it.  Well Done.
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 09:02:15 AM »

erm... let me get this straight... at Universities in the US you write essays on why a particular rock band is the best in the world.....? Roll Eyes

As far as the content, I dont really agree with the remarks about how illusions is how it is because the band became wealthy and no longer represented the voice of the 'streets' or whatever. Illusions has those raw, dirty riffs accompanied with immature angry lyrics, like appetite, the band just purposefully tried to outdo appetite and that meant a double album with many styles n tastes. Many of the tunes predated appetite infact so its not like they changed direction.. they just beefed the sound up with keyboards n stuff on many songs.

AND....

Ive never ever thought of GnR as influencial. They marked the end of the cock rock era, al be their music more sophisticated than the likes of Motley and Poison! But who exactly did GnR influence considering grudge came along with britt pop in the UK and marked the end of gnr who were very 80s in style.

The only band from the UK that came after GnR that Ive heard openly site gnr as an influence were the manic street preachers, and possibly the ex drummer of the stereophonics lol. Apart from them the UK music scene has been built on the likes of the beatles obviously then bands like the stones,? stone roses, oasis, n all that stuff.

GnR aint influencial in that sense if you ask me.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 09:19:51 AM by kriss_boy » Logged
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 09:17:57 AM »

erm... let me get this straight... at Universities in the US you write essays on why a particular rock band is the best in the world.....  Roll Eyes

ahahah
come on!
HISTORY  !

who wants to hear about Kant, Epicure, Medieval themes and renaissance, it's so old ...

Smiley

kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 09:24:34 AM »

Hmm... well if its meant to be a serious essay for a university course then its wayy too informal. And perhaps the author needs to try and back the argument up with maybe record sales... awards... quotes from other established bands and musicians?
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 10:18:30 AM »

i didn`t read the whole essay, but this occured to me:

You know where you are
You're in the jungle baby
You're gonna die

In the jungle, you don?t get out alive. According to a speech given by Axl before a performance of Jungle at the Ritz in New York in 1988 this is a quote from a man he met when he first arrived in Los Angeles. It adds to the song, this was a warning from a broken man to a kid arriving in the Jungle.

wasn`t it a black guy in new york, who said this to him?

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
kriss_boy
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 11:08:25 AM »

I cant remember, check on you tube.
cheeser
Rocker

Guns N' Roses

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 11:23:11 AM »

wasn`t it a black guy in new york, who said this to him?

Axl: I slept one night in a schoolyard in Queens with a big fence around it. This black guy came up to me and said, 'You know where you are? You are in the jungle! You gonna die! 'So we put it in [the] song.

found that here:  http://www.gnrsource.com/songinfo/afd/wttj.htm

that site has info on all of the albums and all of the songs, could be a good reference for your paper

As for you essay, definatly needs some revision and overall cohesiveness, but i think the message is great.  i'm not in school anymore so i dont really want to give you any suggestions, b/c i was never really good with papers anyway.

good luck

erm... let me get this straight... at Universities in the US you write essays on why a particular rock band is the best in the world.....  Roll Eyes

I believe gangs_n_robbers is from canada buddy:

Hey my name is Matt . im in my 3rd year at Dalhousie university in Halifax, Nova Scotia
  As far as I know, that is the US's neighbor to the north. 

All the love in the world couldn't save you...
cheeser
Rocker

Guns N' Roses

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 11:23:58 AM »

btw, Queens would be New York

All the love in the world couldn't save you...
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 12:48:17 PM »

Have you thought about using quotes and footnotes?
gangs_n_robbers
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 01:17:13 PM »

wholy shit your right about the jungle being in queens. i never really thought, he said it at the ritz in new york, "a few years ago my friend and i hitch hiked HERE" your right thnaks for the heads up..

and again, 1.this essay hasent been proofread, revised or anything, this is a copy i wrote in like 1/2 an hour. i just spit it all out. i will go back later and make it not terrible. i wanted to hear what you thought of the overall message.

and the class this is for is extremely informal. last essay i wrote 20 minutes before it was due and i got a A-. the class is a joke. so im not relaly worried about writing a scholary masterpiece. its going to be a informal essay, ie. no qoutes, no sources.

thanks for the comments on illusions. keep em coming.
gangs_n_robbers
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 01:21:45 PM »

i considered record sales and awards, but i dedicded not to put them in just because its not so much about the success of the song, or the album, i was more concerned about the legacy. i liked the section on sports and hockey. to me that is the true legacy of the song. if your going into overtime they play welcome to the jungle and everybody gets pumped up and ready to go.

gnr might not be influential... i just assumed they are. they must have influenced somebody/ come on they are gnr, its a given. they might not have influenced nirvana or grunge but its not fair to say they didnt influence anybody.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: