Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:28:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  Experts want new definition of torture
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Experts want new definition of torture  (Read 2252 times)
Prometheus
VIP

I've been working all week on one of them.....

« on: March 06, 2007, 11:42:05 AM »

Experts want new definition of torture? link

Last Updated: Tuesday, March 6, 2007 | 9:55 AM ET
The Associated Press

Prisoners who endure poor or degrading treatment suffer much of the same long-term psychological distress as do captives who are tortured, a new study suggests.

The study was based on interviews with victims of ill treatment and torture while imprisoned in the former Yugoslavia, and experts said the findings underscored the need for a broader definition of torture.

'Ill treatment during captivity ? does not seem to be substantially different from physical torture in terms of the severity of mental suffering they cause.'
? Study conclusions"What is the basis for the distinction between torture and other cruel and degrading treatment? Science should inform this debate," the study's lead author, Metin Basoglu of the Institute of Psychiatry at King's College in London, told the Associated Press in a telephone interview.

The study was published in Monday's issue of the Archives of General Psychiatry.

Steve H. Miles of the University of Minnesota's Center for Bioethics, who was not involved in the study, said the findings "show that the severity of long-lasting adverse mental effects is unrelated to whether the torture or degrading treatment is physical or psychological."

President George W. Bush's administration has said the U.S. uses legal interrogation techniques ? not torture ? to gain information that could head off attacks. It insists that the U.S. complies with the U.N. Convention Against Torture.

Yet Washington's definition of torture, as interpreted by the U.S. Justice Department after reports of American abuses at Guantanamo Bay and in Iraq and Afghanistan surfaced, is fairly narrow.

Citing a Dec. 30, 2004, U.S. Justice Department memo, the researchers said it excludes mental pain and suffering created by acts that do not cause severe physical pain, such as:

Blindfolding.
Hooding.
Forced nudity.
Isolation.
Deprivation of sleep or light.
The document also contends that for an act to be considered torture, there must be proof that it inflicts "prolonged mental harm."

"The implications of such a narrow definition of torture have raised serious concerns in the human rights community," said the study. "These findings suggest that physical pain per se is not the most important determinant of traumatic stress in survivors of torture."

Prisoner interviews
The study involved interviews with 279 victims who suffered ill treatment and torture while imprisoned in the 1990s in the former Yugoslavia.

The researchers said they found that aggressive interrogation techniques, humiliating treatment, verbal abuse, threats against a captive's family and being forced to watch an acquaintance being tortured produced much of the same long-term mental trauma as physical torture.

"Sham executions, witnessing torture of close ones, threats of rape, fondling of genitals and isolation were associated with at least as much if not more distress than some of the physical torture stressors," they wrote.

Such experiences were just as likely as physical torture to lead to depression or post-traumatic stress disorder, the study said.

"Ill treatment during captivity ? does not seem to be substantially different from physical torture in terms of the severity of mental suffering they cause," it concluded. "These procedures do amount to torture, thereby lending support to their prohibition by international law."

Memories of violence like a shadow
Shukrije Gashi, a pro-independence activist in Kosovo, was jailed by Yugoslav authorities in 1983 and spent nearly two years as a political prisoner. Strictly speaking, she wasn't tortured, but 2? decades later it still feels that way, she says.

Gashi was confined to a cramped, unventilated cell and fed small rations of often-rotten food. Allowed to shower just once a month, she endured frequent beatings and verbal abuse.

Today, she still trembles whenever she sees the police. Her ordeal, she says, is "a spiritual burden that stays with you forever."

"The treatment in prison was horrific," she said, saying she copes by writing poetry and running a centre for conflict management. "I remain psychologically burdened. Memories of the violence follow me like a shadow."

? The Canadian Press, 2007

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 11:51:54 AM »

no wonder my previous blocked post.

but i can see how such political concepts can be hard to defined.
same with terrorism.

there is an exelent article in Le Monde Diplomatique about the use of word and their definition in terms of international relations.

Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 11:57:50 AM »

same with terrorism.

there is an exelent article in Le Monde Diplomatique about the use of word and their definition in terms of international relations.

link me

........oh wait..... nooooooo...... How come there aren't any fake business seminars in Newfoundland?!?? Sad? ............
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 12:10:06 PM »

same with terrorism.

link me

it's not online, it's only on the paper right now

it's from a dutch journalist Joris Luyendijk

i found this PDF, 28 pages extract from his book about Middle east
http://www.nlpvf.nl/docs/Luyendijk_Netmensen_screen.pdf

interesting.

the article was mainly going over the fact that "neutral" information centers (cnn? french media? reuters?) cannot be because when they use a "word", they carry a bias.
with the exemple of the portray of the israeli-palestinian conflict.
fighters, soldiers, pilgrims, security, terrorism ...

SLCPUNK
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 02:08:44 PM »

All the neo-cons here love torture and think it is American. They defend it all costs.
Prometheus
VIP

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 02:27:17 PM »

well a hard dfn is needed because at this rate if you sit someone down for questioning and they smoke but wont let them smoke it could be construed as torture

Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 02:53:43 PM »

well a hard dfn is needed because at this rate if you sit someone down for questioning and they smoke but wont let them smoke it could be construed as torture

i dont think we need a definition, because we already have the scope oof what's acceptable. anything outside is not allowed.

like kidnapping imams in the street of milan for example. that is not allowed.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: