Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 11:24:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228524 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Nasty little GNR mention in Houston Chronicle
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nasty little GNR mention in Houston Chronicle  (Read 11957 times)
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« on: March 05, 2007, 11:03:53 AM »

Here's the link:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/entertainment/4601793.html

And here's the paragraph with the GNR mention:

At one point last year, 3/6/07 was listed as a release date for a new Guns 'n Roses album. Hah! Luckily the week is filled with great music from non-wash-ups: Gloomy Canadian hipster band the Arcade Fire, gloomy Americana hipster band Bright Eyes, gloomy pop-punk band Good Charlotte and dreamy French hipster band Air. Oh, and Wynton Marsalis, whose From the Plantation to the Penitentiary is ambitious and bold and critical of racism as well as hip-hop culture. In stores Tuesday.

Thousands of GNR fans have died waiting for Chinese Democracy to be released.

www.wonderfulworldofdanny.com
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 11:16:15 AM »

Judging from his tastes in music, im guessing if the album would have came out today the article would have been like, "Dont buy the new GNR cd, buy cd's by these non wash-ups."  Some people just hate GNR, there will be a lot of these, but I love how he uses being critical of racism and hip-hop culture to say how good a certain album is...I bet if Chinese Democracy was entitled "Bush Is a Killer" a lot of these liberal music critics would like it.
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 11:20:02 AM »

I bet if Chinese Democracy was entitled "Bush Is a Killer" a lot of these liberal music critics would like it.

Wow.  Just when I don't think that this forum could get any worse and I'm thinking about completely spending all my GNR time on the "other" board, somebody says something smart.  Nice job man.  It's good to see there are a few people with half a brain around here still.

Chuzeville
Rocker

I'm Serge Lama!

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 11:29:17 AM »

Today I went to the store to get Arcade Fire's CD (great one, btw) and I checked for Chinese Democracy, but apparently it hasn't been released yet.  hihi
Nightfall
The Evil Dutchess
VIP

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 11:34:16 AM »

you're a day to early Tongue

Nightfall On Tour 2012:
NY: Februari 10 & 12
France: June 5, 11, 14 & 19
GeraldFord
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:42:58 AM »

I bet if Chinese Democracy was entitled "Bush Is a Killer" a lot of these liberal music critics would like it.

Wow.? Just when I don't think that this forum could get any worse and I'm thinking about completely spending all my GNR time on the "other" board, somebody says something smart.? Nice job man.? It's good to see there are a few people with half a brain around here still.

I'm a liberal and I love GN'R.

Btw, a lot of pro-Bush Nascar loving hicks wont support Axl's new album because "Axl killed the old band and it doesn't sound like AFD."
Lowrlder54
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:44:25 AM »

wow the words "great music" and "good charlotte" were used in the same sentence
BBF Rocks
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 11:45:20 AM »

they don't know how wrong they are...
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 11:46:12 AM »

I'm a liberal and I love GN'R.

Btw, a lot of pro-Bush Nascar loving hicks wont support Axl's new album because "Axl killed the old band and it doesn't sound like AFD."

I don't think it's a debate between liberal or conservative GNR fans. ?It's about the vast majority of music critics that chastise any music because it in't anti-Bush. ?For some reason right now, music has to be anti-Bush for music critics to like it.

downzy56
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 11:59:55 AM »

Judging from his tastes in music, im guessing if the album would have came out today the article would have been like, "Dont buy the new GNR cd, buy cd's by these non wash-ups."  Some people just hate GNR, there will be a lot of these, but I love how he uses being critical of racism and hip-hop culture to say how good a certain album is...I bet if Chinese Democracy was entitled "Bush Is a Killer" a lot of these liberal music critics would like it.

He doesn't say it's good, he just says its ambitious and bold.  We all love GNR, but they're not the easiest band to love.  If you're not crazy over their music (and that's fine, it's not going to suit everyone), GNR's means and methods can provoke disapproval if not outright hatred.  If I wasn't into their music I'd probably have problems with Axl and co.  Same with being a Leafs fan.  If I didn't live in Toronto, I'd hate the leafs.

Cheers,

Andrew

Detroit '02
Toronto '02
London, ON '02
Boston '02
NYC '02
Philadelphia '02
NYC '06
Paris, FR '06
Toronto '06
Ottawa '06
Quebec City '06
Hamilton '10
London '10
Toronto '10
Hamilton '11
Ganja4Life
Banned
VIP

Peace,Love,Guns N' Roses

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 12:01:22 PM »

haha yeah man what the fucks goin on here its monday hihi

Hi,my name's Dakota
I like Guns N' Roses
They're my favorite band
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 12:04:13 PM »

and who the fuck said GNR is Conservative?
I think not.
I know Tommy doesn't like Bush, I heard it from his own mouth, I know Robin doesn't like him either.

Axl likes to remain ambiguous but he doesn't strike me as being conservative at all......his roots may be from a redneck environment but I don't think that qualifies as conservative, at least we know he's anti-war.

Just use your head and in the end you'll find your inspiration.
Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 12:30:36 PM »

and who the fuck said GNR is Conservative?
I think not.
I know Tommy doesn't like Bush, I heard it from his own mouth, I know Robin doesn't like him either.

Axl likes to remain ambiguous but he doesn't strike me as being conservative at all......his roots may be from a redneck environment but I don't think that qualifies as conservative, at least we know he's anti-war.

Once again.  This is about rock critics giving bad reviews to music that does not bash Bush.  It has nothing to do with the political preference of either the band members themselves or the fans of the band.

GeraldFord
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 12:32:22 PM »

Maybe Bush will invite Axl to the White House and we can get an iconic picture of Axl and Bush, like Elvis and Nixon.
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 12:38:15 PM »

Im not saying GNR is anything, I dont want them to be anything. ?I just think a lot of music critics/industy are highly political liberals. ?I mean who cares if an album is critical of racism...who isnt critical about racism. ?Axl always said a band was like a political party with their own message and a lot of critics see the things Axl writes about as shallow because it doesnt take blatant stances against racism or other issues. ?Again not saying GNR is conservative or liberal, just commenting how if you entitled an Album "12 Reasons Why I Hate Bush" a lot of critics wouldnt say a bad word about it. ?Again not saying one person would like it or not, just saying what critics have been like the past decade or so, just look at the Grammy's.  Not saying I support Bush or hate him...im not going to get into a political discussion on this board, but its hard to argue about critics and the arts medias left leaning.
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 01:05:55 PM »

Im not saying GNR is anything, I dont want them to be anything. ?I just think a lot of music critics/industy are highly political liberals. ?I mean who cares if an album is critical of racism...who isnt critical about racism. ?Axl always said a band was like a political party with their own message and a lot of critics see the things Axl writes about as shallow because it doesnt take blatant stances against racism or other issues. ?Again not saying GNR is conservative or liberal, just commenting how if you entitled an Album "12 Reasons Why I Hate Bush" a lot of critics wouldnt say a bad word about it. ?Again not saying one person would like it or not, just saying what critics have been like the past decade or so, just look at the Grammy's.? Not saying I support Bush or hate him...im not going to get into a political discussion on this board, but its hard to argue about critics and the arts medias left leaning.

Aren't you forgetting what happened to the dixie chicks? both the critics and the media brought hell upon them...

ps: I hate the dixie chicks, but Im just saying , it goes both ways , if someone had an album called 12 reasons why I hate bush, a lot of critics would indeed say bad words about it.

ChrisPittman
Banned
Rocker

There Was a Time

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 01:10:25 PM »

Arcade Fire suck, dont make me laugh, at least the members of Guns N' Roses know how to use their dicks

June 6th 06 @ RDS, Dublin, Ireland
July 29th 06 @ Wembley Arena, London, England
Wooody
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 01:13:41 PM »

Arcade Fire suck, dont make me laugh, at least the members of Guns N' Roses know how to use their dicks

You would think someone bashing a band would at least show good taste. Every band he named is bad, except for Bright Eyes which is very good. Tongue

Danny
VIP

I fucked your llama!

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 01:22:17 PM »

Aren't you forgetting what happened to the dixie chicks? both the critics and the media brought hell upon them...

Actually, a lot of music critics who never really would have talked about the Dixie Chicks before they came out against Bush started praising them as brave souls. ?Also, they probably would never have been on the cover of Entertainment Weekly and countless other magazines if they would have NOT spoken out against Bush. ?For the record, I personally boycotted their "music" long before they became the poster children for the anti-Bush movement.

The point is, if GNR's latest album was known to be album how Iraq is horrible, it would be looked on by most critics as a highly anticipated piece of work and they'd probably be getting more press. ?They would spin it to seem like Axl has been away from the music business for a long time but feels the need to come back and speak his mind about the horrible things Bush is doing to this country. ?Keep in mind though, critics don't really equate to album sales. ?N*SYNC sold a helluva lot of records. ?

Something else that bears some thought is the title of the album...Chinese Democracy. ?It's an irony in and of itself and it sort of assumes that a democracy is a good thing. ?Liberal music critics are probably uncomfortable with that.

DuffRock
Rocker

www.cafepress.com/patiencepays

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2007, 01:33:34 PM »

why is liberal bandied about in america as if its an insult?

"lib?er?al (lĭb'ər-əl, lĭb'rəl) pronunciation
adj.

1. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
         2. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
         3. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
         4. Liberal Of, designating, or characteristic of a political party founded on or associated with principles of social and political liberalism, especially in Great Britain, Canada, and the United States."

how are those bad traits?

anyways back to your post, why are you turning this into something political?? some critics dislike Axl and the new Guns N' Roses, and some critics are appreciative of them; frankly it seems irrelevant to me that this writer is a member of the "liberal" media. He's just someone who dislikes the band and Mr Rose, regardless of his political agenda

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: