Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 05:32:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228137 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Red Hot Chili Peppers thread
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Red Hot Chili Peppers thread  (Read 82515 times)
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #160 on: December 23, 2006, 12:05:46 PM »

oh and steve vai got rejected by zappa. so that shows the standards required to get into his band.

I'm no expert on Zappa, but it sounds like if Steve Vai was rejected by him, it only shows that pure guitar skill wasn't the only factor he was thinking about, and that there were other aspects involved.

he just told him he wasn't good enough, and to go and transcribe classical music by ear, he did it came back and was accepted.

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #161 on: December 23, 2006, 12:34:45 PM »

mrlee, if you think frusciante sucks as a guitar player sorry but you know NOTHING about guitar playing at all, he's easily  one of the most talented guitar players alive today.

the simple fact that he was considered good enough to play for frank zappa shows this. john decided against it due to zappa having a policy on being sober. oh and steve vai got rejected by zappa. so that shows the standards required to get into his band.

anyone like Frusciante's new bald look?

he shaves his head roughly every 2 years.

well if hes that talented why does he do some of the most boring and, possibly by the guitar solos ive heard from many bands, some of the most simple solos from a band to come from out of the 80s and progress through to now.

html sucks
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #162 on: December 23, 2006, 09:23:44 PM »

mrlee, if you think frusciante sucks as a guitar player sorry but you know NOTHING about guitar playing at all, he's easily  one of the most talented guitar players alive today.

the simple fact that he was considered good enough to play for frank zappa shows this. john decided against it due to zappa having a policy on being sober. oh and steve vai got rejected by zappa. so that shows the standards required to get into his band.

well if hes that talented why does he do some of the most boring and, possibly by the guitar solos ive heard from many bands, some of the most simple solos from a band to come from out of the 80s and progress through to now.

because he doesn't feel the need to put self indulgent long winded overly technical guitar solos into a song which requires somthing simple, he plays what is right for the song not just to show off, yet another reason why he's one of the greatest guitarists alive today.

"less is more"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsTTfBnCVoI
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 09:32:59 PM by Alan » Logged

Whoever is telling the story, if enough people read and believe something and there is no argument to the contrary, then it becomes accepted as gospel. - Del James
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #163 on: December 24, 2006, 11:31:04 AM »

Blood Sugar Sex Magik was such a funky, innovative, wonderful album.? So, because of what they're CAPABLE of doing, I always give a new RHCP album a spin...and all the new ones tend to suck big balls.? Where did all that style and attitude go?? ?no

I think its because they're older.  They aren't the sex-obsessed young kids they once were anymore haha.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #164 on: December 24, 2006, 12:04:52 PM »

because he doesn't feel the need to put self indulgent long winded overly technical guitar solos into a song which requires somthing simple, he plays what is right for the song not just to show off, yet another reason why he's one of the greatest guitarists alive today.

"less is more"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsTTfBnCVoI

solos arnt about showing off unless your steve vai.

html sucks
WeHeldTogether
« Reply #165 on: December 24, 2006, 03:21:32 PM »

^Then why did you say it was stupid that his solos are simple?  You basically just contradicted yourself; solos don't have to be fast and complex all of the time.  However i guess that's some people's cup o' tea.
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #166 on: December 25, 2006, 04:35:35 PM »

just got the stadium arcadium tab book, it comes with the actual guitar and bass tracks from the album.

it's awesome hearing the songs without drums or vocals.

and snow is a bitch to play

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #167 on: December 25, 2006, 07:39:16 PM »

^Then why did you say it was stupid that his solos are simple?  You basically just contradicted yourself; solos don't have to be fast and complex all of the time.  However i guess that's some people's cup o' tea.

you were saying anyone who likes to do a full blown solo is showing off which is "what makes john so great".

i said doing solos isnt showing off. id much rather hear an epic slash solo, then a crappy 4 note repeated peice of crap for emotion.

html sucks
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #168 on: December 25, 2006, 08:28:46 PM »

a guitar solo should compliment the song, that is what i'm saying, whats the point of tearing off at 100mph for a song that is slow paced and chilled out. there isn't one, it doesn't add anything in particular.

however when it's required john is perfectly capable of tearing off. for example turn it again on stadium arcadium.

D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #169 on: December 25, 2006, 10:48:30 PM »

just got the stadium arcadium tab book, it comes with the actual guitar and bass tracks from the album.

it's awesome hearing the songs without drums or vocals.

and snow is a bitch to play

I never play or try to learn cover songs, but I am actually gonna go buy the SA Tab tomorrow so I can learn a bunch of these.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #170 on: December 26, 2006, 10:41:42 AM »

good luck with snow, it sounds so simple but it's fucking annoying

WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #171 on: December 26, 2006, 01:24:05 PM »

john frusciante is one of my favourite guitar players....

listen to his solo records before you judge him ok

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Casey Shelton
« Reply #172 on: December 27, 2006, 05:17:15 PM »

I never used to like them.  My girlfriend wanted Stadium Arcadium for Christmas so I got it for her.  Thank god because it is amazing.  I love the guitar playing throughout it.  Phenominal.  Makes me want to finally learn how to play the guitar.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #173 on: December 28, 2006, 04:37:57 PM »

I've had Blood sugar Sex Magik for a few weeks and Its a great album don't get me wrong but I thnk its overrated.

I would rank it  3rd, just ahead of Californication.

ByThe Way and Stadium Arcadium are far superior albums.

The hits off BSSM are more memorable than the hits off BTW or SA but I think BTW and SA are way deeper and emotional.

After the hits on BSSM the other songs are ok, nothing extremely special whereas every song on SA and BTW are excellent and really resonate with me.

I guess the reason BSSM is considered the greatest is due to signature songs like Under The Bridge and Give It Away but personally I'll take Snow over it and Under The Bridge is great but Ill take Venice Queen, Desecration Smile and Wet Sand over it.

I think what makes BTW and SA better records is just the growth of Anthony Kiedis. His lyrics are kind of juvenile and his melodies are ok on BSSM whereas on BTW and SA he is so emotional and deep plus his vocals have improved tremendously.

Frusiciante's guitar is also better on SA as he has elevated his playing to a brand new level.

So ranking them I would put:

1. By The Way
2. Stadium ARcadium
3. Blood Sugar Sex Magik
4. Californication.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #174 on: December 29, 2006, 03:11:55 AM »

You all seem to love Stadium Arcadium so much, that I'm convinced to give it another chance. 
I've had Blood sugar Sex Magik for a few weeks and Its a great album don't get me wrong but I thnk its overrated.

The hits off BSSM are more memorable than the hits off BTW or SA but I think BTW and SA are way deeper and emotional.

After the hits on BSSM the other songs are ok, nothing extremely special whereas every song on SA and BTW are excellent and really resonate with me.

I guess the reason BSSM is considered the greatest is due to signature songs like Under The Bridge and Give It Away but personally I'll take Snow over it and Under The Bridge is great but Ill take Venice Queen, Desecration Smile and Wet Sand over it.

I think what makes BTW and SA better records is just the growth of Anthony Kiedis. His lyrics are kind of juvenile and his melodies are ok on BSSM whereas on BTW and SA he is so emotional and deep plus his vocals have improved tremendously.

I've always really enjoyed the non-hits on BSSM.  Apache Rose Peacock, Naked in the Rain, Mellowship Slinky...they're not the hits, but I truly believe that the "filler" of an album is what makes it great or very typical.  Most albums have a hit or two or three, but the filler is complete garbage.  I love GNR's "filler", and the BSSM filler is something I enjoy, as well.  I haven't listened to By the Way, as I kind of lost interest after Californication, when they really started going in a new direction.  But, this USED to be one of my favorite bands, so they're worth another chance...if it doesn't take, I'll always have that Sex Magik! 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 03:17:52 AM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #175 on: December 29, 2006, 03:23:05 AM »

there is no filler on By The Way or Stadium Arcadium. All the songs are really good.

The difference is, whereas on BSSM u have Under the Bridge and Give It Away which are considered 10's, On BTW and SA every song is like an 8. I'll take an album where u have 28, 8's over an album where u have a couple 10's and then the rest range anywhere from 5 to 8.

I like the songs that are considered filler on BSSM but they dont compare to the songs that are considered filler on BTW and SA. So as far as singles go, sure I can see why people would prefer BSSM, but when it comes to the non hits, I just think BTW and SA destroy BSSM.

There are really no 10's as far as mainstream

To me there are a bunch of 10's, but Im speaking of the general music public.

Alan
VIP

use your head

« Reply #176 on: December 29, 2006, 04:54:30 PM »

Frusiciante's guitar is also better on SA as he has elevated his playing to a brand new level.

So ranking them I would put:

1. By The Way
2. Stadium ARcadium
3. Blood Sugar Sex Magik
4. Californication.

wow, you're one of the few people i've seen rank BTW above californication. i'm still not that impressed with by the way, can't really pin point why, but there is something about it that just doesn't click with me. though there are some great tracks on it, venice queen for example which i was fortunate enough to see them play live.  Grin

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #177 on: December 29, 2006, 05:03:43 PM »

Im sorry but i cant agree, the funk over powers me on blood sugar, also i preffer mothers milk over anything post blood sugar, they just tame down and slow up.

californications alright though, i love the intro track, its stoned out on the chorus.

by the way has too much filler sadly.

stadium...sucks.

html sucks
Lisa
You talkin' to me?
Legend

Here Today..Gone To The syndicate

« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2006, 06:19:14 PM »

don't mean to change the subject but has anyone read Scar Tissue yet? I got it for Christmas and almost finished it....it is very well done and a very good read. Anyone who really likes RHCP I suggest getting it..holds alot of insight into their writing and production. ok

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2006, 06:23:25 PM »

don't mean to change the subject but has anyone read Scar Tissue yet? I got it for Christmas and almost finished it....it is very well done and a very good read. Anyone who really likes RHCP I suggest getting it..holds alot of insight into their writing and production. ok

I'm not familiar with it, but no WAY it beats "The Dirt." 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: