Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 07:27:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  UFO science key to halting climate change: former Canadian defense minister
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: UFO science key to halting climate change: former Canadian defense minister  (Read 6269 times)
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

Counting the signs & cursing the miles in between.

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2007, 08:27:21 AM »

You don't need to turn it into something so complicated 25. It's alot simplier than that. Trust me, I don't feel threatned nor am I jealous of him. It's not whining, it's calling Gore a hypocrite for which he simply his. Just because he has a big entourage and alot of people working for him and needs to consume more energy doesn't give him a free pass. How about really leading by example. It doesn't work for me to believe if someone is burning more good energy it's a good thing. As I said before he's the fat kid calling the skinny kid fat.

My constant use of his prviate jets, limousines, mansions, etc., etc., etc. are examples of his over need of energy use. Why should anyone listen, get scared, and think they should cut back on their energy uses when this jerk is using more energy in a year then most people will use in several years? Why not really lead by example?

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 08:53:42 AM »

I've always wondered why they're witholding technology that could help the human race. The likely answer isn't very good news for us.

ever thought they maybe...just maybe...dont have ''alien technology''

Aliens have never visited this planet - its impossible to cover those distances - light speed is not an attainable velocity, and would be inadequate anyway....

we once lived on a cuboid earth where boats would fall off the end of the horizon. ok

html sucks
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 11:47:55 AM »

ever thought they maybe...just maybe...dont have ''alien technology''

Aliens have never visited this planet - its impossible to cover those distances - light speed is not an attainable velocity, and would be inadequate anyway....

"those distances"? Is it because you know the technology they have and where they live, or because you know how long they live and how the universe functions? Even if lightspeed was not attainable (as it seems at the moment), why would it be inadequate?

Of course it's not propable but to state something like that as a fact is a gutsy move.

Well i got guts.

We've watched so much damn scifi we start thinking warp drive has some kind of scientific basis behind it...

and why would aliens waste a million years coming here anyway? Why would they be so incompetant as to crash on earth?

Light-speed is very attainable, light achieves it all the time.

Best. Line. Ever. hihi rofl
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 11:52:25 AM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 02:43:28 PM »

Well i got guts.

We've watched so much damn scifi we start thinking warp drive has some kind of scientific basis behind it...

and why would aliens waste a million years coming here anyway? Why would they be so incompetant as to crash on earth?

I didn't say that they had crashed the earth. I just commented on your statement that they have never visited and never would because it's impossible.

I wasn't speaking about warp drives or such... My theoretical knowledge of physics is nowhere near the level of me even speculating on the existance of such things. Appearently teleporting particles at the speed of light isn't impossible in theory, but I guess the trick would be to teleport a lot of the particles and make them come out exactly in the same order at the other end. But like I said. I don't know about these things really.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 05:08:59 PM »

Well i got guts.

I didn't say that they had crashed the earth. I just commented on your statement that they have never visited and never would because it's impossible.

I wasn't speaking about warp drives or such... My theoretical knowledge of physics is nowhere near the level of me even speculating on the existance of such things. Appearently teleporting particles at the speed of light isn't impossible in theory, but I guess the trick would be to teleport a lot of the particles and make them come out exactly in the same order at the other end. But like I said. I don't know about these things really.

c'mon i dont want to sound beligerant because i truly hope we do reach the stars some time

But even a cursory knowledge of physics tells us that its just not possible - its not a question of doing the research but of distances impossibly huge and power requirements equally big

...and why would aliens be more advanced than us? Isnt it possible we are the most advanced life form out there?

..and how would aliens even find us? 100 trillion stars in 100 trillion galaxies and they find us? What are the odds?

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2007, 05:47:26 PM »

c'mon i dont want to sound beligerant because i truly hope we do reach the stars some time

But even a cursory knowledge of physics tells us that its just not possible - its not a question of doing the research but of distances impossibly huge and power requirements equally big

...and why would aliens be more advanced than us? Isnt it possible we are the most advanced life form out there?

..and how would aliens even find us? 100 trillion stars in 100 trillion galaxies and they find us? What are the odds?

I know about the power requirements... But that's not the issue in itself. Things that were thought impossible a thousand years back are now possible, so I just don't like the "it impossible" attitude on things that are arguable.

Why would aliens be more advanced than us? They might not be. And if they weren't, they most certainly wouldn't be flying in space (we've been able to fly in space for about 50 years, and it's still in very early develepment all in all). And nobody's to say that we're not the most advanced specie there is in the entire universe. It's just pretty unlikely. But if life did exist on another planet, and let's say that it began it's evolution by a relatively small time of 700 000 years before ours. I would say that we can't even begin to imagine our specie and all the innovations and life only a 100 000 years from now.

How would they find us? Who knows. I have no idea... Especially since it's not even known if there is a "they".  The why's and how's are not something I'm trying to explain. And it's not what I was objecting to.

All I was saying, is that there are scenarios in which it is perfectly possible that there is (intelligent) life somewhere else and that they might be able to visit.

The distances are huge, I know. The propabilities are extremely low. I know. It is the way that you stated it as an absolute truth that there was no way this sort of thing could happen. Anyway. It's not really what this topic's about. And I've gotta go sleep. Real, less alien things to do tomorrow morning.

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2007, 03:35:18 AM »

You don't need to turn it into something so complicated 25. It's alot simplier than that. Trust me, I don't feel threatned nor am I jealous of him. It's not whining, it's calling Gore a hypocrite for which he simply his. Just because he has a big entourage and alot of people working for him and needs to consume more energy doesn't give him a free pass. How about really leading by example. It doesn't work for me to believe if someone is burning more good energy it's a good thing. As I said before he's the fat kid calling the skinny kid fat.

My constant use of his prviate jets, limousines, mansions, etc., etc., etc. are examples of his over need of energy use. Why should anyone listen, get scared, and think they should cut back on their energy uses when this jerk is using more energy in a year then most people will use in several years? Why not really lead by example?

So, basically, your reasoning is that Gore is a hypocrite because he doesn't manage to achieve an impossible paradox by traveling the country, giving lectures, making movies and whatever else he does without consuming more energy than he would by staying home and dicking around on the internet? It seems to me that your thinking is flawed. Gore would be a hypocrite if he believed in all the things he says about climate change and energy consumption, and believed that people needed to be informed of those things, yet chose to stay home and do nothing.  That would be hypocritical.

Perhaps if you actually listened to the arguments for limiting energy consumption you'd understand that an individual's consumption isn't the problem. Limiting consumption is considered a solution on the basis that the production of energy from fossil fuels is a major pollutant, and that production of energy rises and drops in response to consumption. Using alternative fuels would be another solution. It's hardly hypocritical to point those things out while also using energy created by fossil fuels, because there is no other option. If Gore was pointing those things out while also running a massive coal-burning power plant, that would be hypocritical.

You also said "It doesn't work for me to believe if someone is burning more good energy it's a good thing."
Unfortunately, that statement pretty much confirms your simplistic and uninformed reasoning. If Gore's entire argument is that we should produce more clean energy and use it instead of fossil-fuel energy (which would clearly be a "good thing" as it doesn't produce the pollution which contributes to the acceleration of climate change which is the heart of the issue) and Gore is using the maximum available supply of clean energy  he's clearly doing his best to live by the same tired dogma that he's spouting.

I'm sure that your argument makes sense to you (and on a base level, after removing the substance and intent of the global warming crusaders and their "message", boiling it down and twisting it into "they want us to become candle-burning luddites," it almost does make sense if you don't give it any more than the most symbolic token of thought) but  it is clearly based on very poor information, it has the ring of an evening news sound-bite.

It's this simple, really; If Gore's message was simply "We all must use less energy," and he's using more energy than anyone else, it would be hypocritical. But Gore's message is something more like "The means of producing usable energy from fossil fuel sources also creates by-products which, in collusion with many other polluting effects of our industrial society,  alter the natural equilibrium of the atmosphere and seem to be contributing to a rapid acceleration of the planet's natural tendancy towards climate change which could see most living things on Earth, our civilization included, destroyed by natural forces in a very short space of time and certainly much quicker than would have occurred naturally had we not polluted the atmosphere to begin with. We should do something about that before we all die." Suddenly shouting "You use more energy than me!" is neither proof of hypocrisy nor a valid counter-argument. If, after reading all that, you can't see why you're both wrong and vastly missing the point, there's nothing more I can do.

For the record, I despise the fact that I've had to waste so many epidermal cells typing a defense of Al Gore. Please make the next blundering, short-sighted judgment about someone I actually like or respect.
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2007, 03:50:23 AM »

Warping space does have a valid theoretical basis, at least as valid as any of the hypothetical spacial anomalies that have found their way into text books (black holes, anyone? Hey, black holes warp space too! Mmm, gravitation). 

I feel pretty confident in saying that, unless it can be clearly observed as a dot of light by a huge and expensive telescope, we have no idea what is/isn't/could be hiding out there in space and without that information we have no real basis upon which to theorize. And neither do any aliens which may or may not exist and may or may not be reading this. Sorry aliens.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2007, 04:03:08 AM »

Gore minimizes his use of automobiles

What about all that jet fuel he burns flying all over the world in his private jet? And those limousines he uses?

He is a hypocrite. I'm sure his 3 or 4 mansions that he has burns more energy in one month than I do in one year or even more. I don't need to be lectured by such a hypocrite. Just because is a rich spoiled fat ass brat doesn't give him the right to lecture the world about their enrgy overuse and how they should minimize there energy levels.  That's the same as a fat kid telling a skinny kid that he eats too much.

Did you know that?

You didn't read one thing he wrote, or chose to ignore it. It's as if you have your hands over your ears and are just blabbing away....

Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2007, 06:57:20 AM »

You didn't read one thing he wrote, or chose to ignore it. It's as if you have your hands over your ears and are just blabbing away....

Once again you jump to conclusions and your wrong again. As you always accuse me of ignoring and not reading simply because I disagree with a point of view. If people don't agree with you, you consider them Ignoring or simply "blabbing" away. Couldn't the same exact be said for alot of your blabbing away. Same could be said for you.

And 25, my judgement is not short-sighted. Al Gore is rolling in his own blunder with his materialistic waste.

"If you keep going over the past, you're going to end up with a thousand pasts and no future." - The Secret in Their Eyes
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2007, 07:12:35 AM »

And 25, my judgement is not short-sighted. Al Gore is rolling in his own blunder with his materialistic waste.
Thanks for taking the time to read the last line of my 5-million-word post.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2007, 07:14:47 AM »

You're acting like we know all the laws of phsyics and the inner workings of the universe. We don't. Every so often there's a scientific 'revolution' where somebody goes "gee, I never thought of that".

The universe is as complex as it is immense. To assume that you know anything for sure will most certainly come back and bite you in the ass. You're basing your assumptions on present knowledge. It's basically refusing the idea of the earth being round because you don't know/believe gravity.

And if Aliens were to visit us they would by default be more advanced. There are possibly billions and trillions of new, old and extinct civilizations out there. If one of them were to visit us it would be one of the advanced ones.

As to why bother. Well, sophisticated technology is a result of curiosity.

As to how to find us. Sending countless bots around to galaxies and potential star systems would be a way, but then again, who knows what technologies they possess. For all we know they use the universe like we use the phonebook.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Drew
milf n' cookies
Legend

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2007, 07:29:26 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to read the last line of my 5-million-word post.

I did read it. But 5 million? It was overdone but it wasn't 5 million. I could've written a short story also but what's the difference, it still would have been blabbering in some peoples views.

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »

it still would have been blabbering in some peoples views.
Yes, it probably would have. But that would have probably been because, had it followed the pattern of your previous posts, it would have basically said "nu-uh!" You don't need many words for that.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: