Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 27, 2024, 08:26:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228115 Posts in 43261 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  VELVET REVOLVER To Perform For And Induct VAN HALEN Into ROCK HALL
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VELVET REVOLVER To Perform For And Induct VAN HALEN Into ROCK HALL  (Read 43803 times)
hartman
Rocker

Here since 2002

« Reply #140 on: March 13, 2007, 07:08:25 AM »

Ouch....

http://www.vhlinks.com/vbforums/showthread.php?t=36881

Looks like VH fans aren't too happy...
They are bitter because Van Halen didn't play.
A guy shouted "This isn't Van Halen!" during the performance. What a smart guy... When did VR pretend they were VH ? confused

GNR forever !!
snakepipero
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #141 on: March 13, 2007, 07:30:37 AM »

Well, I'm not a Van Halen fan and I don't know the songs but I've just listened to the songs (mp3) and I like how it sounds, I don't know how the originals sound but I liked them
Steve McKagan
VIP

« Reply #142 on: March 13, 2007, 07:40:25 AM »

I really would like to see a video recording of this. If you have one or have found it on youtube, please post!!!

madagas
« Reply #143 on: March 13, 2007, 07:41:13 AM »

Slash was good. Weiland was unbelievably bad and his speech was insincere and just down right embarrassing. Duff looked like a clown with that hat on. Matt is just a smug jackass. Dave, I'm neutral on him. I am an old school Van Halen fan and it was a terrible induction. Diamond should have sang on Ain't Talkin Bout Love and it would have been fine. The second song wasn't even a Van Halen song-at least not one that ANYONE could recognize- and the guy yelled "that's not Van Halen" in response. Seriously, that may have been the worst induction I have ever seen. Then, to top it off, they refused to play Jump! They are there to honor the band, not be an asshole over having to get a keyboard player to play some simple chords. Weiland says they don't use keyboards yet they show them in their recording studio for all the world to see on their website? What a joke that asswipe is. Slash is still my boy, but that band will never get a penny of my money as long as that idiot is fronting them. Angry
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #144 on: March 13, 2007, 08:11:45 AM »

Um, was that Runaround they did at the end?

They must've put about 30 seconds worth of "rehearsal" into that.

Thanks for disrespecting one of my favorite bands? ok

Exceptions for Matt, Duff and Dave - they did their jobs well. Slash did OK but he seemed somewhere else. I don't care that its rock n' roll, its rude to induct someone and make a speech with notes while wearing sunglasses. I really don't think they would've been there if they didn't have an album coming out. Sad. Pathetic.

If I have to say something nice about that performance, I'll say that since Slash missed the intro to ATBL (which sounded ok - its the easiest Van Halen song to cover with the exception of You Really Got Me), at least we know it was actually live.

They did Runaround like that so Sammy and Michael had time perform..

One of the reasons they picked VR was because they were supposed to play for The Sex Pistols last year or something liek that.. But The Sex Pistols put an end to everything...

Anyway, everyone I was watching it with thought VR nailed it big time!!

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2007, 08:15:13 AM »

Let's face it and give them some credit.? No band is going to be able to do a cover song of another band and nail it perfectly and exactly.? They will put their own personality into it.? ?No one asked them to BE Van Halen!? ?No one asked Slash to play exactly like Eddie.?

Plus they had like a weeks notice.. If even that.. Everyone was expecting DLR play with VH for the first time in 23 years... And that isn't making an excuse because short notice ir not, I thought it kicked ass big time.. Much better than I expected.

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2007, 08:47:07 AM »

Slash was good. Weiland was unbelievably bad and his speech was insincere and just down right embarrassing. Duff looked like a clown with that hat on. Matt is just a smug jackass. Dave, I'm neutral on him. I am an old school Van Halen fan and it was a terrible induction. Diamond should have sang on Ain't Talkin Bout Love and it would have been fine. The second song wasn't even a Van Halen song-at least not one that ANYONE could recognize- and the guy yelled "that's not Van Halen" in response. Seriously, that may have been the worst induction I have ever seen. Then, to top it off, they refused to play Jump! They are there to honor the band, not be an asshole over having to get a keyboard player to play some simple chords. Weiland says they don't use keyboards yet they show them in their recording studio for all the world to see on their website? What a joke that asswipe is. Slash is still my boy, but that band will never get a penny of my money as long as that idiot is fronting them. Angry

I hate to say it but I agree 100% with this post. Undecided

GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2007, 09:22:27 AM »

Slash was good.
From the three reviews I heard on the radio this morning, they all said Slash "butchered" the Van Halen song.? Undecided

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
hartman
Rocker

Here since 2002

« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2007, 09:23:18 AM »

Slash was good.
From the three reviews I heard on the radio this morning, they all said Slash "butchered" the Van Halen song.? Undecided
They lied. Slash did a great job.

GNR forever !!
alternativemonkey
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2007, 09:29:21 AM »

Slash was good.
They lied. Slash did a great job.

It was horrible, really awful.  Weiland pranced around the stage like a complete weirdo. The band was off. The band started off with "Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love" and ended with a truncated piece of "Runaround'. "Runaround" was an embarassment. First off, it is minor VH hit and it sounded like nothing. It was unrecognizable.

When the band stopped, you could hear someone scream "That wasn't Van Halen". And, then he yells it again a few seconds later. He was definitely making reference to the horrible interpretation of the VH songs, not the band itself.
Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2007, 09:54:37 AM »

That was awful.  I could barely stand to watch it.  I knew Scott would blow the vocals, but it was even worse than I expected and I had no idea what that last bit was.   I was pissed that I stay up to see that crap. 

Why don't you just....
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2007, 10:10:22 AM »

Scott's vocal style ( and range) is no where close to David Lee Roth's. So expecting him to sound even a little like Van Halen is a stretch. How well could Dave cover a STP or VR song? Slash was ok, but again, he does not play like EVH, so expecting him to sound like that is a stretch as well. They did what they could with a Van Halen song. Did it turn out well? Not really. But to say VR suck is just ignorant.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Steve McKagan
VIP

« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2007, 10:14:03 AM »

I hope they forget it and move along. At least they tried, it could have been success but now it wasn't.
We all know that VR, including Scott, can do much better than this.

hartman
Rocker

Here since 2002

« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2007, 10:20:03 AM »

Some people want to see VR fail. No matter how well VR play, they'll be here posting how awful it sounded.

Having seen GNR twice this past year, I would have to say that Robin stays truer to the original while adding his own style than Slash did or was able to do on ATBL.  The more VR I hear, the more I agree with my assessment that W. Axl Rose was/is the driving force behind GNR.  I honestly believe that Chinese Democracy will be an artistic triumph relative to either Contraband or Libertad.
Yeah sure. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:22:44 AM by hartman » Logged

GNR forever !!
GeraldFord
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2007, 10:59:11 AM »

Hmm in that case try this one:

http://urahost.com/download.php?file=817109
Invalid download link. no
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2007, 11:01:52 AM »

Scott's vocal style ( and range) is no where close to David Lee Roth's. \

David's vocal range isn't that amazing. Infact, Eddie has commented on his limitations during the time David was in the band due to his limited range. As much as I like Dave, Sammy Hagar is a much better singer in terms of range. David isn't a very rangey singer, but I can agree on the style part.  ok
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2007, 11:02:40 AM »

megaupload links for those who missed out on cowboy buddha's links Wink

VR-Ain't Talking Bout Love/Run Around
Sammy Hagar/Anthony Michael/Paul Scheffer - Why cant this be love

CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #157 on: March 13, 2007, 11:09:07 AM »

Messed up intro, weiland is fuckin laughable (and i do like him Undecided)
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #158 on: March 13, 2007, 11:23:01 AM »

GN'R didn't perform, so keep them out of this.

I didn't see the performance yet myself.

Judging by the majority of posts, my initial reaction of "Why VR?" might've been correct...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #159 on: March 13, 2007, 11:25:49 AM »

My Review of the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame 2007 Ceremony.

I thought the tribute to the Founder was nice.

I thought the inductiong of the Ronettes was nice, but the bitch's speech took forever.

I thought Aretha Franklin was the shit and Paul Shaffer's band was amazing.

I thought Patti Smith, was, well, fucked up. I did like something about her, but at the same time, couldn't stand that political shit she started pulling. Especially from Zach De La Rocha, her inducter who had to bach Ronald Regan and George W. Bush? What the fuck do they have to do with rock and roll. Shut your pie hole and rock. I hate when politics enter rock. Not necessary.

Grand Master Flash... What a fucking joke. Had to throw the Hip Hop community a bone. What pieces of shit. Look, Rock n Roll is based from Black American music, but, this shit came after rock n roll. They act like these guys are chuck berry or something. Why are we not inducting Jazz and Country guy, and bluegrass, and Classical too then? They are more related to Rock than Hip hop because they came before rock. Terrible.

Van Halen.... Weiland was not respectful, I don't think. I thought the band did good on "Ain't Talkin Bout Love." Sammy and Michael were robbed by not having a real band to play with and having to settle with the house band.... However, SAMMY CAN STILL SING BALLS OUT! Even on the final group jam he shined. Blew Vedder away for sure.

Neil Young and Plant on the Classic from 1995, OMFG!!! What a joke. Neil Young is the worst ever Jesus Buddah Cheif! Ha, just kidding. And Page never soloed. I don't think Young would let him. And why did Plant insist on proving to us what we already know? He can't play guitar, but is still better than Neil Young.

The blues jam with Eric, Buddy, and BB was freaking awesome.

The Cream replay was terrible. Eric was much better with BB than with Cream.

The Prince Performance with Tom Petty!! OMG! Unfucking believeable. It was from 2005. As My Guitar Gently Weeps. He is a stud!! Wow.

REM, again, Vedder is so freaking Lame, but atleast he took the time to put thought in a decent speach. REM did okay, but their guitar player and bass player made way more mistakes than Slash and it was their own fucking song!!!!!

The Final Jam, it was okay. I liked seeing Keith Richards Solo all over the place. I don't like that Steven Stills though. He is was past his prime. And not in the cool way like Keef is.

How the Fuck is REM and Grand Master Flash and Patti Smith all inducted before Guns N Roses? Hmmmm.. Ha!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: