Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 12:20:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Guns N' Roses: Are they finally ready to release a new album?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guns N' Roses: Are they finally ready to release a new album?  (Read 6090 times)
Jimmy?
You can't really dust for vomit
Legend

Don't you try to stop us now.......

« on: March 02, 2007, 05:05:38 AM »

This article is from The Independant, a newspaper over here in the UK.....

Guns N' Roses: Are they finally ready to release a new album?
In the early 1990s, Guns N' Roses were the biggest band on the planet. Now, eight producers, 15 years and ?7m later, the new album is here
By Fiona Sturges
Published: 02 March 2007

In 1991, Guns N' Roses, the LA rock band led by the tattoo-clad, kilt-wearing, flame-haired singer W Axl Rose, had the world at their feet. Their swaggering 20 million-selling debut Appetite for Destruction was still in the top 10 album chart four years after its release. The twin albums Use Your Illusion I and II had just set a world record - it was the first time two records from the same group had entered the Billboard charts at numbers 1 and 2. The band had also embarked on their biggest world tour to date that would net $30m in ticket sales alone. They were, in short, the biggest band on the planet.

Fast-forward to 2007 and, despite having produced nothing of consequence for more than a decade and a half, Guns N' Roses are far from forgotten. For next month, after 15 years of rumour and expectancy, the band is to release their third proper LP, Chinese Democracy. Possibly.

A letter posted by Rose on the official Guns N' Roses website revealed that the album will hit the shops this Tuesday. But as long-standing GNR fans know, this isn't the first occasion that the release of Chinese Democracy, described by The New York Times as "the recording industry's most notorious white elephant", has been announced. Indeed, the story of Axl Rose, his monstrous ego and his attempts to finish the most expensive album of all time is the stuff of legend. At a cost of ?7m, many believe that democracy will come to China before Chinese Democracy sees the light of day. Over the years, Rose has hired and fired eight producers and at least 20 musicians, while roundly ignoring the pleas of executives at his record company Geffen to finish the job.

The album was originally due to appear in 1996 but was delayed, according to Rose, because of the departure of long-standing band-mates Duff McKagan and Slash. Rose claimed they had left of their own volition, though Slash and McKagan maintain that they were forced to leave after the singer, who has ownership of the band's name, began treating them like a backing band.

In 1998, Rose hired the San Fernando studio where he had recorded Appetite for Destruction and told Geffen, which had already invested heavily in the album, to expect the record at the end of the year. In the event, Rose's visits to the studio were rare and no music materialised. Later in the year, the singer invited Rolling Stone magazine to his house to preview a dozen new tracks, and a new release date was set for 2000, but, once again, nothing appeared.

On New Year's Day 2001, Rose seemed on the brink of delivery. At the House of Blues in Las Vegas, he unveiled his latest line-up and a clutch of new songs. The show was warmly reviewed and a newly energised Rose took his band on the road. Upon his return, Rose went back into the studio but appeared to have a crisis of confidence, firing his producer and ordering the songs to be recorded over again.

By 2004, Universal, Geffen's parent company ran out of patience and informed Rose's management by letter that "having exceeded all budgeted and approved recording costs by millions of dollars, it is now Mr Rose's obligation to fund and complete the album". Rose's studio tab was frozen and the album taken off the schedule. Over a legal challenge from Rose, they released a greatest hits package to help recoup their losses. Without any promotion from the band, it sold 1.8 million copies, proving there was still a market for Guns N' Roses.

Since then, more release dates for Chinese Democracy have come and gone. Early in 2006, Rose told Rolling Stone: "People will hear music this year... It's a complex record. I'm trying to do something different. Some people are going to say, 'It doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses'. But you'll like at least a few songs." Still nothing materialised.

We'll soon know whether there is any substance to Rose's latest announcement, though for once the signs look promising. Sources close to Rose say that Andy Wallace, who engineered Nirvana's Nevermind, has been putting the finishing touches on the album. A few days after Rose's statement, his former manager, Merck Mercuriadis, wrote an open letter to fans saying that the album only needed "two or three more days" before it was completed. He continued: "I promise you that Chinese Democracy is worth it and you should keep the faith ... Next year will see Axl recognised not only as a great singer and rock icon but as one of the greatest artists of all time."

It's more likely, however, that Rose will be remembered as the most egotistical, volatile, downright bonkers front man in the history of rock. This is a man who once kept The Rolling Stones waiting for three hours for the rehearsal of a Rose-Jagger duet.

Back in the mid-Eighties, Rose was already displaying the diva-like behaviour that would be the band's undoing. He frequently failed to show up for gigs and was abusive towards other members of the band. But for Guns N' Roses, the final nail in the coffin was the release of Nevermind in late 1991. At that moment, cock rock was out and introspective indie-rock was in. The band continued to tour until 1993 when they released The Spaghetti Incident?, an album of punk covers. Sales were negligible and for the rest of the decade Rose became a virtual recluse in his Malibu mansion.

Rose's big comeback came in 2002, when he performed at the MTV awards, but he looked out of breath and struggled to sing in tune. The following year, Guns N' Roses announced their first tour in a decade, though it was clear that Rose still hadn't mended his ways. He failed to show up to two shows and was arrested in a state of severe inebriation in Stockholm.

So will we really see a new Guns N' Roses album next week? And, if so, will it have been worth the wait? Only time will tell. Perhaps Rose put it best on his website in 2002. "If you're waiting... don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility, not mine... But if you're really into waiting, try holding your breath for Jesus. I hear the pay-off may be that much greater."

'Chinese Democracy' is released on Tuesday, allegedly

http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/music/f...icle2316893.ece

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?showtopic=91039
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 05:18:47 AM »

A quick call to Universal would have confirmed March 06 wasn't going to happen..no mention of last years tour..this is a bit unfair but all the more reason why the band needs to give a proper update 'soon'

Here today...ready to rock
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 05:22:20 AM »

Give this guy the pulitzer Tongue

What a waste of life.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
DarkFairy
VIP

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 05:23:07 AM »

This is proof of just how reliable newspapers and magazines are sometimes  Roll Eyes

Helsinki 05.07.2006. Helsinki 05.06.2010. Hämeenlinna 01.07.2017. 🔜 London 29.05.2020
quarky
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2007, 05:23:59 AM »

A letter posted by Rose on the official Guns N' Roses website revealed that the album will hit the shops this Tuesday

Compared to the shit that passes for the Sun, Daily Express, News of the World, etc and all the other farcical destructive pieces of hate that pass for newspapers in this country, the Independent is not bad. So where the hell did that line come from??

« Last Edit: March 02, 2007, 05:25:32 AM by quarky » Logged
Jimmy?
Legend

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2007, 05:24:59 AM »

A letter posted by Rose on the official Guns N' Roses website revealed that the album will hit the shops this Tuesday

Compared to the shit that passes for the Sun, Daily Express, News of the World, etc and all the other farcical destructive pieces of hate that pass for newspapers in this country, the Independent is not bad. So where the hell did that line come from??

It came from the March 6th "tentative" date.
quarky
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2007, 05:25:49 AM »

Ah, should have guessed. Someone else who couldn't comprehend Axl's letter.. And these people are supposed to be journalists?
Jimmy?
Legend

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2007, 05:28:20 AM »

Ah, should have guessed. Someone else who couldn't comprehend Axl's letter.. And these people are supposed to be journalists?

To be fair they haven't had an update telling them otherwise til the other day  hihi

Although they should have phoned the record company or something for comfirmation!
quarky
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2007, 06:19:54 AM »

To be fair they haven't had an update telling them otherwise til the other day? hihi

Although they should have phoned the record company or something for comfirmation!

Yeah but even so, the letter does say tentative. Just sloppy journalism if you ask me... Still publicity is publicity  Smiley
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2007, 08:46:00 AM »

Rose's big comeback came in 2002, when he performed at the MTV awards, but he looked out of breath and struggled to sing in tune. The following year, Guns N' Roses announced their first tour in a decade, though it was clear that Rose still hadn't mended his ways. He failed to show up to two shows and was arrested in a state of severe inebriation in Stockholm.

So the 2002 Eurasian/North American tour never happened.

GNR announced their first tour in a decade in 2003, and Axl got arrested in Sweden and failed to appear for two shows.

News to me.? Tongue

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 08:54:59 AM »

I didnt think this article was that bad.  I mean at least theyre talking about Axl...its not purely negative or bashing him.  We would be lucky if all papers wrote articles like this.  Theyre never going to be nice or say, "Axl Rose is the King of Kings etc...."  This puts Axl's name out there, makes him sound like a crazy rock star, talks about the controversy with the band, gives some history and makes it sound like the album might be out soon.  You guys are too picky.  This isnt necessarily the most accurate, but who the hell could read Axl's letter and make out with any certainty what he said.  Hell, we cant even make out with certainty what our founding fathers said in the Bill of Rights.  His letter was cryptic with built in escape hatches.  This wasnt pulitzer worthy or anything, but its the kind of article that will help GNR.
November_Rain
Loyal to death
VIP

The bittersweet honey of your eyes...

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 08:57:52 AM »

This is another exemple of an uninformed journalist Roll Eyes. First, the article says nothing new and also, no mention of the recent update by Del James or the 2006 tour...etc.Simply pathetic.

Nobody will ever love you the way I do...
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 09:16:44 AM »

I really dont know why you people think this is bad.  We are going to know more than any reporters.  Most of us spend hours a week  checking news, discussing the band, downloading videos etc... These reporters have like a day and a half to get their articles ready.  Sure its going to be old to us.  The only thing these reporters will ever get before us are interviews.  People discussing Axl, the album, tours and telling the public that the album is supposed to come out soon is good.  This is much better than no article, and reminds people who may have forgotten the history of the band, who GNR is, and that Axl is coming back.  Most people didnt go to the concerts, dont come to these forums and havent been eagerly anticipating the release. What Axl's note fails to realize is that most people ARENT waiting.  Most people already have moved on with their lives.  Its us few on boards like this who are still here waiting.  Axl should be trying to keep us waiting and getting those people who took a break years ago to come back.  Articles like this help respark those peoples interest.
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 09:31:29 AM »

I THINK THEY ARE!

I have never seen so many tree
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 11:24:35 AM »

The following year from 2002 is 2003.

So I guess according to this newspaper, we're living in the year 2004 now.

Why the hell do journalists often "forget" to do fact checking?

Why does this only mention the cancelled shows and one arrest? No mention of headlining festivals, sold out shows or the surprise shows they played.

It's all about negativity.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
charlesfosterkane
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 11:29:44 AM »

its an article about how if axl doesn't put out an album on tuesday he's merely fulfilling what this writer outlines as his rep as a diva and nut. i don't know how you misread 'tenative' and 'this is not a lie, promise etc etc' so i assume this particular writer is purposely misleading the public.

its all about misleading the public and shaping opinions.
chriskon72
Rocker

Thus spake the Super-Guru...Did you hear that?

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 11:33:15 AM »

How many times do you read good news? Almost never.

? Controversy and bad news sell, Car wreck, rape, murder, misery that shit sells. Run a story about school kids planting trees and your SOL.

?90-95% GNR gigs happen without incident but when Axl gets back to the hotel smashed and has an altercation with security it's on CNN.... that's the way it goes. ?

20.05.88 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
07.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
08.06.91 CNE Grandstand, Toronto
28.05.92 Kanstatterwasen, Stuttgart
26.06.93 Olympiastadion, Munich
07.04.10 Figali, Panama
Crowebar
Sir Puke-a-Lot
VIP

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 11:37:02 AM »

Why the hell do journalists often "forget" to do fact checking?

Why does this only mention the cancelled shows and one arrest? No mention of headlining festivals, sold out shows or the surprise shows they played.

/jarmo

I'll tell you 'why' jarmo...

Because they're useless fucking arseholes.   rant   I  puke  on all of them!!!   rant
redx
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2007, 11:40:02 AM »

Guns N' Roses: Are they finally ready to release a new album?

They'll never be ready. Even when the album is released they won't be ready. Only once the album is out and doing well, will they believe  Smiley
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2007, 01:09:28 PM »

Media lies are what they do. They do it from when we are kids and for some reason we believe them.  Nickelodeon said during one of their "educational" commercials that George Washington Carver invented the peanut... They write this stuff and get away with it because most of the intelligent people in the world disseminate their information through books and are too busy making news than writing it.  Still I think this is a positive thing.  People loving you or people hating you sells...its when they arent writing or saying mediocre things that youre in trouble.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: