Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 08:32:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Catch 22 Concerning Chinese Democracy
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Catch 22 Concerning Chinese Democracy  (Read 4648 times)
novrain91
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« on: February 21, 2007, 12:40:41 AM »

All of the "talk" about a possilbe (or not) reunion sometime got me thinking about something. If/When Chinese Democracy comes out, I fully believe that it'll be a huge hit.  If that's the case then the 2nd album is sure to be a hit as well.  That's great in my opinion, but it's also a Catch 22.  You can pretty much put a nail in the GNR Reunion coffin if the "new" version of GNR hits it huge and keeps releasing new material at a reasonable pace.  I can't wait for Chin. Democracy, but I was just wondering what other people thought about this possible situation?
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 01:09:17 AM »

I actually think the opposite is true.

You take a band like Pearl Jam, who consistently come out with a new album every couple years.... most of the albums are quality, some experimenting in new ways - but ultimately, each album doesn't stand out any more or less than the one before. It's just another Pearl Jam album.

Chinese Democracy is more of an event than just a release - it is "the return of Axl Rose" and the whole world will be watching. Very rarely will this much hype be built up for a single album release.

If a reunion were to happen, it would generate the same kind of attention. Everyone would be interested, not just because its GN'R but because it marks the event of the band reuniting. A reunion down the road would mark the second opportunity for a major event level album release, when there are many many good bands with successful careers that don't get a single one.
novrain91
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 01:14:13 AM »

I think you're right that what GNR's doing is an event, not just a typical cd.? But if this album really hits it big, I highly doubt that Axl would ever consider getting the old band back together. IMO, the only way he would go back to the old line-up is if this album recieves a mediocre (or less) reception.

Oh and concerning Pearl Jam: They couldn't hold a candle to GNR (any line-up) and they make a conscious effort to be an average (in terms of hype and popularity) band. It seems that they couldn't handle or didn't want to be in the spotlight.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:17:07 AM by novrain91 » Logged
Gargh!
Rocker

Danny Cockroach

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 03:25:58 AM »

When Bruce and Adrian returned to Maiden in 1999 it was huge - and look, they still sell out arena tours now.  Their new album was top ten in the states.  If that's anything to go by GnR could still compete with new material should they reunite.

It all comes down to what Axl chooses to do after Chinese Democracy is released - if what they put on CD is the best of last x number of years workk, will Axl be content putting out inferior material on the next album, or will he write the whole thing from scratch again (would the label let him do this?).

Welcome to the ZooFarm: www.myspace.com/dannycockrach

Please check us out and leave us some feedback.  If you live near us, it'd be great to see you at a show or something.  Rock on!
Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 03:30:53 AM »

if CD fails, then there would definitely be no way in hell they'd reunite.
Axl doesnt seem like a quitter. he'd make the followup album so great only to spite everyone who doubted him.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
give_it_a_rest
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 06:42:35 AM »

Oh and concerning Pearl Jam: They couldn't hold a candle to GNR (any line-up) and they make a conscious effort to be an average (in terms of hype and popularity) band. It seems that they couldn't handle or didn't want to be in the spotlight.

I like both GN'R and Pearl Jam very much GN'R live is more show (pyro, lights etc.) But for the music and creativity I like pearl jam much much more. For example they played +100 different songs (23 concerts) during the euro tour 2006, which means every concert a completely different setlist only 5 or 6 of the same songs played everynight and they also play about 28-33 songs everynight. So I think they can hold a candle to GN'R, but I don't think they would like to be compared with GN'R different band, different music  peace

Back to GN'R I think CD will be a huge succes and there is no need of a reunion.

russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 06:59:57 AM »

All of the "talk" about a possilbe (or not) reunion sometime got me thinking about something. If/When Chinese Democracy comes out, I fully believe that it'll be a huge hit.  If that's the case then the 2nd album is sure to be a hit as well.  That's great in my opinion, but it's also a Catch 22.  You can pretty much put a nail in the GNR Reunion coffin if the "new" version of GNR hits it huge and keeps releasing new material at a reasonable pace.  I can't wait for Chin. Democracy, but I was just wondering what other people thought about this possible situation?

Even though this is really just another reunion thread and belongs in Dead Horse, I'll throw my two cents in.

I don't really want to see a reunion of the original GNR for two reasons. First, those guys have proven they don't want to be in this band. I don't want to see people playing music they don't love. And two because the new lineup rocks.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
KaptainKuntra
Rocker

Tres Bizzare, non?

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 07:02:17 AM »

Most of the 'new' line up has nearly been together as long as the old line up by now anyway hasn't it?
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2007, 10:33:17 AM »

Most of the 'new' line up has nearly been together as long as the old line up by now anyway hasn't it?

they've been around longer than the old line-up  hihi

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2007, 10:42:02 AM »

I dont think the whole world is watching, hell GNR played one concert in Ohio this tour and it was 1/3 capacity for a small arena.  I really dont think you have to worry about this album being so big it overshadows the old GNR.  I think it will be moderately successful, in the top 10 in the U.S., but unless it opens on a very dead week I really dont see it going to number 1.  It sucks, but GNR is definitely the band time forgot.  When news outlets report on GNR they do it cause its like watching a trainwreck they dont do it anymore because they cant wait to hear the music, they do it because they like reporting when stars waste their potential or make huge mistakes.
rds.06
Jackie!!!
Rocker

"I'm Melting"

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2007, 10:43:03 AM »

they've been around longer than the old line-up? hihi

But have released no material, thats the difference. And if Chi Dem does come out and is a hit, and somewhere down the line the old members return to tour,

would they play anything off Chi DEm?

I cant see Slash or Duff doing that, that might be another hurdle.

"to live with fortune and fame"
robd788
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 11:25:47 AM »

This reunion stuff is getting silly now
In todays Daily record (a scottish national newspaper) its even in their as quoted by Adler.  It evens says that Axl Rose did festivals last year "under the name GNR"!!!!
It even metions that Slah and Izzy are keen to reunite!!!!! Getting bored now.

A reunion may happen if CD bombs as this maybe the only way to get people interested agian.
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 11:28:54 AM »

I think the former members have already half-way proven that Axl is GN'R with their VR excursion.  When CD sees the light of day it will be 100% official.

IMO, no reunion will be necessary.

BBF Rocks
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 12:00:34 PM »

here's to a nail in the gnr reunion coffin! beer
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2007, 12:06:05 PM »

I think the former members have already half-way proven that Axl is GN'R with their VR excursion.? When CD sees the light of day it will be 100% official.

People like you always crack me up  hihi
redx
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2007, 12:16:59 PM »

They should just get the album out and be done with it. It's like they are scared of failure. If it's taken this long to put an album together, I iguess it's safe to safe to say CD will be Gn'R's finnal 'proper' album. By proper, I'm saying anything after CD will porbably be a mix of rejected tracks, deemed not good enough for CD. There could be a second live album at some point, and possibly a cover album, SI2.
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2007, 12:47:49 PM »

CD needs to come out before there is any reunion.  I am guessing that Velvet Revolver will outsell the New GnR.  I dont like them nearly as much, but the fact is the VR guys came out of the breakup unscathed and Axl came out as a joke.  They also are very keen for publicity and sadly seem to care more about their fans than Axl does.  We hear probably more about CD from former members of the band than the new band.  Im guessing there will be a reunioun, but when the VR guys are ready not when Axl is.
novrain91
Banned
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2007, 02:33:20 PM »

Pearl Jam playing over 100+ songs on their recent tour is exactly my point about them.  I assume most of the fans that came to those shows showed up  to hear the "hits."  I mean PJ only really have 7-9 really good songs, why the f' would u want to hear over a 100 by them.  IMO
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2007, 03:37:09 PM »

I think the former members have already half-way proven that Axl is GN'R with their VR excursion.? When CD sees the light of day it will be 100% official.

People like you always crack me up? hihi

Likewise, which is a good thing.  I need the amusement.

damnthehaters
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2007, 04:42:33 PM »

if CD fails, then there would definitely be no way in hell they'd reunite.
Axl doesnt seem like a quitter. he'd make the followup album so great only to spite everyone who doubted him.

Yeah, and it would take 25 years to make... hihi

2002- Tacoma, WA
2006- New York, NY
2006- Everett, WA
2006- Portland, OR
2011- Denver, CO
2011- Las Vegas, NV
2012- Philadelphia, PA
2016- Seattle, WA
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: