Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 06:16:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Frank and BBF
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Frank and BBF  (Read 20197 times)
CDesigner
Headliner

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2007, 02:13:50 PM »

Bumblefoot and Frank are both part of the GN'R family so why not?

Maybe it'll shut some people up when they see that all the band members appear on the album.....

i'm not really sure how it'll "shut people up." personally, i'd rather have a full album recorded by the same lineup than an ever-shifting cast of characters that will make it appear that much more like an axl rose solo album. i saw this band and KNOW they are guns n' roses, but the rest of the world still needs convincing, and an album with drums by 2 different guys, guitars by 5 or more (probably more), 3 keyboard/synth players (i'm assuming axl will play keys along with chris and dizzy) and various additions that we don't even know about yet by former members and non-members is just going to muddy the waters that much more. when CD finally arrives, just like every time a leak has come out, i know i will find myself in the position of defending the band to those who will hate on it unless it sounds like appetite part 2, especially since everyone they know who was involved with axl in GN'R is now gone. having to defend decisions like the one to have two official drummers in the band makes that job that much harder.
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2007, 02:24:13 PM »

Look at the upside. Maybe BBF and Frank will provide some much needed "spontaniety" to the project. More people seemed to be concerned with the fact that every note of this album has been gone over with a fine tooth comb for 8+ years- and that the result is going to be a good album that could have been great if it didn't sound so "calculated" and "polished".

Maybe the new guys can come in and give it a little 2006-07 juice.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about the "core" getting short-shrifted out of all of this- I'm sure when the dust settles almost all of the credit (as well as criticism) will be flowing in the Axl/Dizzy/Robin/Tommy/Chris direction.

One person who might get lost in all of this is Paul Tobias however.... he could possibly have worked on every single track that will be on this album. It will be interesting to see how much of his work- either recorded or written- survives the final cut.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2007, 02:28:18 PM »

an album with drums by 2 different guys, guitars by 5 or more (probably more), 3 keyboard/synth players (i'm assuming axl will play keys along with chris and dizzy) and various additions that we don't even know about yet by former members and non-members

Use Your Illusions?
WhiteRose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2007, 02:28:46 PM »

right, but to all of a sudden record and then mix the final versions....to me, doesn't make sense, doesn't have that "band" feel to it. what if BBF leaves, next guitarist will lay down their solo, then the album will be mixed for release again? the band members should have STAKE in this album....these guys, who are great, are too new. they just got here. Brain should be on drums anyway!!!!!! and just have Robin and Fortus, with just a few BBF additions, but nothing major.....release the songs that were written and worked on for YEARS, not for 12 months.

I understand where you're coming from, but I must respectfully disagree. ?

Personally, I feel that both Ron and Frank bring much more of a "band feel" to GNR. ?Have you attended a concert with those two in the line-up?

As for their possible contributions on the recordings... when you've been searching for something and then you finally come across it, or if you come across something even better... something that either completes or surpasses your artistic vision... I feel it would be foolish to negate such discoveries simply because they're new. ?

I'm looking forward to the new album and I really don't care whose parts are included, or how long they've been in the band. ? peace

Cheers,
W.R.

?

AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2007, 02:38:35 PM »

No offense to all the BBF and Frank lovers out here, but does anyone actually believe that they should be rerecording anything?  I mean seriously, the guys whose parts they are changing are legends in the music industry and these two are Frank and Bumblefoot.  I mean Buckethead is the most amazing guitarist ive ever seen and Brain is a technical genius when it comes to the drums.  The critiques i have heard GNR fans say is that they do not play with as much feeling and Frank and BBF (most likely cause brain and bh have large fan bases outside of GNR so playing in front of 10,000 people is nothing new).  However, i really doubt anyone will say that Frank and BBF are anywhere near as technically proficient, independently successful or have proven themselves anywhere close to the people who recorded on this album before them.  If Axl has to change it for legal reasons, then do it, otherwise put their name on the album anyways no one will know the difference.  i mean seriously does anyone know for sure if Finck actually played guitar on OMG.  Frank and BBF might provide energy to this band, but unless totally needed they need to stay off the cd.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2007, 02:52:15 PM »

No offense to all the BBF and Frank lovers out here, but does anyone actually believe that they should be rerecording anything? 

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2007, 02:54:33 PM »

i'd rather see the current band be the band on the album but maybe its just me Undecided

but i'm sure there will be bh parts and brain parts on it anyway...and brain is still officially in the band anyway so why would his parts be removed?

AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2007, 03:23:14 PM »

No offense to all the BBF and Frank lovers out here, but does anyone actually believe that they should be rerecording anything??

/jarmo

Yes, I know they are part of the family and thats great.  BH went to do his thing and Brain wants to be with his kid (probably a bit isolated too without BH around).  Those two were apart of the GNR family too, for years and helped write those parts, it isnt their fault that there is no cd.  The fact that there hasnt been a CD release is probably why they walked away.  They spent years of effort in making that music and itd be a shame for it to just disappear. 

I am not saying BBF and Frank should never be on a GNR album, but this album has taken forever, has better musician's parts already recorded and those musicians spent their time developing those songs.  The BH guitar at the end of TWAT is amazing and its a shame I'll never get to see it live, I really dont want that touched because out of everything I have played for friends thats what impressed them most.  We all know BBF is a great guitarist, but BH is one of the most talented ever. 

Also this album has taken long enough, again if they are needed legally of course put them on it, but if its just to make a point or to reward them etc... I definitely dont think that things should be touched.

Again i am not trying to disrespect Frank and BBF fans, you are probably right that they fit more with the band live and are probably much better "yes" men and more stable.  However, I just dont think theres an argument that they are on the same musical level as BH and Brain and those two spent years on this album, they wrote the parts, contributed in the forming of the song and shouldnt be replaced because they didnt want to sit around during their prime waiting for a release.  I know Brain may not be gone, but everyday it starts looking more and more that way.
WhiteRose
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2007, 05:43:48 PM »

^^^? As far as the issue of fairness is concerned, I think you've made an excellent point.

Chief
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2007, 05:48:08 PM »

maybe they aren't Rerecording but merely adding some new parts or putting in stuff that wasn't there before.

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
bazgnr
Legend

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2007, 05:49:56 PM »

Yes, please keep asking the band to NOT release the record.

I'm sure everyone on the board will be behind you.

not asking to take more time, im saying the approach should have been: use brain, use robin, use fortus, use tommy, dizzy...the guys who have been here for awhile, THEY are GnR now. Frank and BBF are too new....they just arrived....for an album that has taken over a decade, it shouldnt take less than 12 mos. for guys to record "their" parts.....use the Core of this band: Axl, tommy, robin, fortus, dizzy and brain.

And then ask these same new guys - who have been working with and touring with the band for coming up on a year now to tour behind a record for x number of years that they had no part in writing or recording?

To me, I think that both guys have more than earned a spot on the record, and having them participate in it - no matter how long they've been in the band - will give them both a bigger investment into the band, the touring, and all the other work that goes into it on a daily basis.  Good for them, I say.
Duffio
Rocker

uh oh, they're back...

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2007, 06:04:21 PM »

not asking to take more time, im saying the approach should have been: use brain, use robin, use fortus, use tommy, dizzy...the guys who have been here for awhile, THEY are GnR now. Frank and BBF are too new....they just arrived....for an album that has taken over a decade, it shouldnt take less than 12 mos. for guys to record "their" parts.....use the Core of this band: Axl, tommy, robin, fortus, dizzy and brain.

why not let the band and their own internal management (axl) worry about what should be done, and you worry about your own life..  it's not like GnR dictates what you do and you dictate what they should do.. come on, it's their lives, it's their band    you're screwed trying to get something out of a group of people who do their own thing that is dictated or ran or whatnot, by people actually IN THE BAND. in other words: stop complaining, if there would be no more gnr i'm sure you would be bitching about more stuff.... and if axl changes the name of the song, "oh no i don't like the song's name 'idon'tlikefans' from 'better'"   
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2007, 06:19:29 PM »

I dunno, I think Ron and Frank have both been extremely positive additions to the band. They are both really balls out, creative guys. Everyone should be excited about what they bring to the table. Just because they didn't help create something doesn't mean they can't add anything meaningful to it. (ie, this band didn't write any of the old songs they play, but they play them superbly, addind their own touches)...

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
TrixAreForKids
Silly Rabbit
Rocker

Tongue like a razor.

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 06:31:40 PM »

Do we know for sure that BH's parts has been removed? My feeling is that his parts have been duplicated by BBF (bumble has been in the band for a while now) for replacement. I highly doubt Axl will re-work BH parts.
chineseroses
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 06:32:40 PM »

We know nothing about whos parts have been replaced or whatever, all i can say is i think Ron is a great addition to CD, just listen to what he added to chinese democracy (the song)
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 06:43:57 PM »

what does the mixers do and how long time does it take?
Mark7955
Rocker

Democracy is Here...

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 07:19:04 PM »

they are all part of the band and were on tour so I dont see why they wouldnt get their own inputs on the album

"The fire is burnin' and it's outta control, it's not a problem you can stop, it's ROCK N' ROLL!"
"With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue you get nothin' done"

11/20/06 - Halifax, NS
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2007, 12:31:29 AM »

And then ask these same new guys - who have been working with and touring with the band for coming up on a year now to tour behind a record for x number of years that they had no part in writing or recording?

Hmm... asking new members to tour for x number of years for music they had no part writing or recording, this seems like a bad idea...where have I heard it before?
redx
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2007, 08:24:27 AM »

The good news is that all of the recording for the album has been completed. Drummer Frank Ferrer and guitarist Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal integrated themselves into the recordings seamlessly and will have their presence felt.

seamlessly - does that equate to added to or replaced? as I cannot see the need to have two drummers drumming at once    Wink

Slipdisc
VIP

~Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur~

« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2007, 09:39:08 AM »

It think it?s kinda shortsighted to downsize Ron?s achievements and abilities in comparison to Buckethead?s. Qualify Buckethead as ?the better musician? or ?one of the most talented ever? (hinting simultaneously at Ron being not). Maybe concerning people?s personal tastes he is and that?s fine. But reality doesn?t support such a one-sided conclusion.

Ron is broadly known (for just as many years) as a virtuoso of a similar or even greater caliber as Buckethead. His playing is some of the cleanest, craziest en technically proficient there is. He is one of the very few fretless masters, which demands the utmost from a player in terms of tonality and technique, something that always shines through when playing a conventional guitar. He has ?absolute pitch? and a photographic memory for music. Creatively he is heralded as one of the biggest forces since Zappa with his albums earning huge praises with the virtuoso crowd and especially fellow musicians (Satriani, Metheny, Holdsworth). Albums which are unquestionably more multidimensional than most Buckethead-records (and this is coming from a huge Buckethead fan), albums in which he takens even more on himself than Buckethead (in terms of producing etc.). I think it?s only fair that a current member with such a gigantic musical credibility as Ron?s should have some input on CD. Off course I hope Buckethead is on there too because he indeed is one of the greatest, but I rest assure (being a longtime fan of both) that Ron will have (at least) equally impressive contributions.

-PEACE-
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 09:50:06 AM by Slipdisc » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: