Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:18:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What "Chinese Democracy" may look (or sound?) like
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "Chinese Democracy" may look (or sound?) like  (Read 13511 times)
MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2007, 09:49:50 AM »

Contraband is average, while Better is really a very good song.

I don't think VR will be talked about in 20 years, while Better will maybe still be around.
That's the difference.  Tongue
MrBrOwNsToNeR
Rocker

http://www.myspace.com/pellostone

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2007, 09:55:29 AM »

I don't think VR will be talked about in 20 years, while Better will maybe still be around.

you're blind cuz it's a gnr song dude.

whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2007, 10:08:45 AM »

That's the difference.? Tongue

a rs article said that better is one of the best songs gnr have ever written. nothing to add. velvet revolver is just not special, average rock, nothing more. no magic to it, often poor songwriting. this stuff has all been done way better before vr by other bands... after all we are not in the 80's anymore.

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
MrBrOwNsToNeR
Rocker

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2007, 10:13:44 AM »

a rs article said that better is one of the best songs gnr

have ever written. nothing to add. velvet revolver is just not special, average rock, nothing more. no magic to it, often poor songwriting. this stuff has all been done way better before vr by other bands... after all we are not in the 80's anymore.

I don't care about RS... they also said many negative things about GNR.

I don't care ... really.

My ears says that these songs are not unforgivable... i've heard them a little more than VR songs cuz it's GNR songs.
But these songs ae not as great as the old ones... Im' waiting for the studio version to be convinced about it.

My english is bad... sorry.

Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2007, 10:16:02 AM »

Quick song I believe was the working title for Chinese Democracy. Read the Rolling Stone description from back in the day.....

It was describe as GNR's version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or something like that

This post and threads like this in general are why this album needs to come out NOW. I'm so sick of all this, "so and so said Prostitute is the true BIG GUN and the best rocker since AFD....so and so said 'If The World' is a 10 minute epic like Estranged... so and so said 'This I Love' is the new November Rain'.. so and so said Quick Song is GNR's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'.

I guess that kind of rumor mongering sets in when its taken this long, but its getting ridiculous. Remember when Contraband came out? Slither was supposed to be WTTJ, Fall to Pieces was supposed to be November Rain, Superhuman was supposed to be SCOM.

You guys have built up in your head what these songs SHOULD sound like to you based off of tons of unsubstantiated rumors, and for many of these songs it will be impossible to reach their expectations (Prostitute) no matter how good it is. You guys are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Good point well made ZRO.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
whiny
Rocker

a boy with urban needs, plant him some urban seeds

« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2007, 10:17:19 AM »

That's the difference.? Tongue

a rs article said that better is one of the best songs gnr

have ever written. nothing to add. velvet revolver is just not special, average rock, nothing more. no magic to it, often poor songwriting. this stuff has all been done way better before vr by other bands... after all we are not in the 80's anymore.

I don't care about RS... they also said many negative things about GNR.

I don't care ... really.

My ears says that these songs are not unforgivable... i've heard them a little more than VR songs cuz it's GNR songs.
But these songs ae not as great as the old ones... Im' waiting for the studio version to be convinced about it.

My english is bad... sorry.

i know i've said this quite a few times, but "better" and "catcher" - for my ears - are among the best gnr stuff i know. just my humble opinion.

"The universe is shaped exactly like the earth -
If you go straight long enough you'll end up where you were"
Death Cube K
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2007, 10:28:43 AM »

I will talk about Better in 20 years and so will everyone here, the quality of the song is subjective anyway but it will be talked about either way
MrBrOwNsToNeR
Rocker

« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2007, 10:35:45 AM »

I will talk about Better in 20 years and so will everyone here, the quality of the song is subjective anyway but it will be talked about either way

I can't agree with that.
The quality is NOT subjective.

You're sentiments about a song are.

Death Cube K
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2007, 10:50:55 AM »

The quality is NOT subjective.

Some like it, some don't. Throw all your musical knowlegde on the table with pro's or con's but some people will still disagree or agree with you. It doesnt make them anymore wrong or right than you?
MrBrOwNsToNeR
Rocker

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2007, 10:56:58 AM »

hum ... i don't really care about that.

I'm just afraid because the GNR fanatics are really really blind about the new songs... These songs are good rock songs. And THAT'S ALL !

GNR need GREAT UNFORGIVABLE SONGS to sell albums... And come back on the top of the Rock Music.

I'm really a great fan of GNR for 14 years now ... and i'm affraid about the future of GNR ... they need a fuckin' blockbuster song !

src
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2007, 11:50:14 AM »

madagascar was written in 93/4, as Axl said recently.

I would not take too much of this 'info' too seriously. Alot of it is either old or wrong ?hihi (I think it says this in the original post though)

I doubt anyone would actually take the info I give as if it's meaning anything significant. I run a songinfo page, and I gather info. Sometimes I stumble upon sources that are unavailable for others. Now I gave out some info (about "Prostitute") from those kinda sources, but most of it is, as you say old and known.

The info I present may be outdated, and some of these songs may be working titles, or not alternatives for the album. Other than that I just summed up everything the best I could. I'd be more careful with labelling it as possibly "wrong" than what you are though, especially when you present nothing to back up such a claim.

and about "Sorry" (can't quote more... no time). I heard people said both, and I didn't re-read the quote. I was already told about it too... didn't think people would think I'd know something more about it than what I do. That's all.

This post and threads like this in general are why this album needs to come out NOW. I'm so sick of all this, "so and so said Prostitute is the true BIG GUN and the best rocker since AFD....so and so said 'If The World' is a 10 minute epic like Estranged... so and so said 'This I Love' is the new November Rain'.. so and so said Quick Song is GNR's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'.

I just wanna say that I don't want to contribute to that. I don't think I throw in any real rumors, and that's not my intention. I rather want to kill some images of "This I Love" being the masterpiece fans has decided it is. I probably do contribute to the "Prostitute" issue, but it's not really my goal. I just wanted to write that for those who doesn't know all the facts, and I felt it was an OK time to do it, now right before CD is released. Then we can basically see how far away we were (because this is close to all the facts we'll find about the songs).

Madagascar (Pitman/Rose): Written in or before 2000. Axl wrote the lyrics, while at least some of the music was written by Chris Pitman. It's very unlikely someone else than Pitman could put together the solo part of the song.

Not correct. As someone mentioned it being from 93/94, I will also mention that the song was talked about between Axl and this woman sometime in 1998 or 99. Axl told her he just wrote the song and didnt know where he got it from and was very happy about it. It was during this children party thingy Axl hosted in the late 90's. Pitman did the sound effects probably but he shouldnt be put forward in the song writing credits more than lets say Buckethead who obviously wrote the solo.

There's also the thing about Tommy Stinson. Stinson went back to the GNR studio in 04 or 05 and said he wanted to make sure that his input was on the album, and...it was. It's quite obvious Tommy's been doing lots of stuff on the album, alongside Finck. The writing credits would obviously be IMO Axl first, then Finck, Tommy and Buckethead. Smiley

Well, I'm right because I say it's from 2000 or earlier. I didn't hear the 93/94 thing (could you gimme a source?), so I guess I missed that. I also try to stick to sources that are good. Not just some woman who talked to someone. That doesn't do it for me...

Also, I don't want to speculate too much on credits, but yes, I agree Stinson will have credits. I'm quite sure the Pitman fans are right about him writing quite a bit too. I've seen good sources claim Pitman worked one on one with Axl.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 11:55:23 AM by jan_gnrsource » Logged
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2007, 12:29:27 PM »

Quick song I believe was the working title for Chinese Democracy. Read the Rolling Stone description from back in the day.....

It was describe as GNR's version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or something like that

Prolly no one agrees with me that in a way better song sorta smells like Teen Spirit of GNR.
Death Cube K
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2007, 12:40:26 PM »

I'm just afraid because the GNR fanatics are really really blind about the new songs... These songs are good rock songs. And THAT'S ALL !

It's still just your subjective opinion. If you care about such a thing, it's the masses who decides if a song is good or not and none of the new GNR songs have truly been tested to the masses. Better has been a bit on the radio and the feedback was pretty good.

Oh and don't forget, theyre still just demo songs. We're not sitting on any released material. Just demo stuff.
JDA
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2007, 01:39:29 PM »

Sadly, I don't think we will ever know. I now think we will never hear it.  Too much time.
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2007, 02:01:09 PM »

Very biased view.

Better is pretty good as far as songs go, but as far as saying it will be a song talked about in 20 years (such as WTTJ)? Thats pretty ridiculous.
MrBrOwNsToNeR
Rocker

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2007, 02:02:16 PM »

Very biased view.

Better is pretty good as far as songs go, but as far as saying it will be a song talked about in 20 years (such as WTTJ)? Thats pretty ridiculous.

you're right dude

MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2007, 02:49:58 PM »

Very biased view.

you're right dude

Now you have found somebody who is backing you up a little. rofl (only a joke!)

Like I said, this was my opinion. To me "Better" is a kick ass song. And by not knowing me and not knowing that I was and am really into some of the GN'R related things like Snakepit or Izzy or Gilby you would have seen that I ain't "blind" like someone here is claiming. Listening to VR did not satisfy me ever while the new tunes of GN'R did. And I have to admit that I don't share the enthusiasm of other fans as far as Catcher In The Rye is concerned. I don't like that song that much (although I am a GN'R fan since 1987:yes:) But even that song is better than 3/4 of the Contraband album - that's my point.

But back on topic.
I think that the article is a very good read and a very good summary of what has been said or written.
It is easier to write stuff like "I don't believe it" than to point out where a mistake may be.
We will see the truth.
And by the way those articles aren't the reason why the band should release the album, it will be released although there are a lot of ignorant fans who keep bashing the band and all of their work just to promote themselves somehow.
Sharky-dude
Headliner

Silence Isn't Golden When I'm Holding It Inside

« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2007, 03:31:00 PM »

"Like I said, this was my opinion. To me "Better" is a kick ass song. And by not knowing me and not knowing that I was and am really into some of the GN'R related things like Snakepit or Izzy or Gilby you would have seen that I ain't "blind" like someone here is claiming. Listening to VR did not satisfy me ever while the new tunes of GN'R did. And I have to admit that I don't share the enthusiasm of other fans as far as Catcher In The Rye is concerned. I don't like that song that much (although I am a GN'R fan since 1987:yes:) But even that song is better than 3/4 of the Contraband album - that's my point."

all 100% accurate.
This ppointless vr vesus gnr argument belongs in another forum though'

on topic:
the original post is a very exciting read. Intriging and gets me more pumped for the release of cd. (Which will outsell  contraband 10 to 1 no doubt about it.)
sorry couldn't resist

!go Jets go!
MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2007, 03:40:42 PM »

This ppointless vr vesus gnr argument belongs in another forum though'

on topic:
the original post is a very exciting read. Intriging and gets me more pumped for the release of cd. (Which will outsell  contraband 10 to 1 no doubt about it.)
sorry couldn't resist

You are right - in both of the cases
couldn't resist either.

on topic again:
If you consider the fact that some of these - I tend to avoid that term, but - "new" guys are longer a member in the band than others that already left, we will have to give them as much respect as the former members. Of course they have not released anything so far, but they will. And such an article is a good way to think about some stuff. Maybe some infos were wrong, but they have been gathered from various sources that are reliable. Some interviews with band members directly.
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2007, 04:21:49 PM »

why did you leave out rhiad, even though it was written on the setlist from gnr.com?

you say, that prostitute and if the world will most likely be on the record, because they?re mentioned...  following that logic, rhiad is also going to be on the album. there are no facts denying, that catcher in the rye and rhiad will appear on chinese democracy anyways...

dizzy wrote the intro and the bridge to the blues by the way.

most of your "song credits" are baseless speculation anyways...

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: