Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 03:23:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  What "Chinese Democracy" may look (or sound?) like
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: What "Chinese Democracy" may look (or sound?) like  (Read 13525 times)
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2007, 07:51:23 PM »

It was describe as GNR's version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or something like that
yep that was it...the opening riffs to CD are the grungiest riffs we have heard from GNR thus far. So I will assume Quick Song
Always thought IRS fitted that description most - four ascending power chords with lots of muted notes in between - sorta like Smells Like Teen Spirit.

src
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 09:36:27 PM »

Is Jan banned from here or something?

Now I'm here Cool Had to retire an old nick to get "jan" working. Unfortunately that one was already taken! I'll try to comment on some things here now since I don't get bashed like on a certain other forum.

Props to Jan for putting all the legit quotes into one place (there aren't that many once you think about it).

I think Bucket shoud be mentioned at least in Maddy 'cause we all know that he wrote the solo, while Pitman probably came up with the audio clips, I have a feeling it was Axl who wanted them, don't know who came up with the "horn section" probably Axl or Dizzy.

Horn section... I believe it was mentioned that Paul Buckmaster worked on orchestrations for Maddy, The Blues and Prostitute, possibly even some others. Therefore, I'd credit Maddy's horn section to him.

Thanks for that, and yep, there's few. I do have lots of quotes about the album here, but songs only a few (There's some for the known songs that I didn't include there too):

http://www.gnrsource.com/songinfo/cd/

Now on topic: Good points by both, and I agree that it's not unlikely BH will get some credits for "Madagascar". But I don't think Buckmaster worked on more than "Prostitute". I may be wrong... I doubt he'd get writing credits anyway.

Dizzy said Izzy brought in a bunch of lyrics- but Axl didn't use them or like them.
Something about how Izzy lost his creativity- and a song he wrote about going to the dentist called "Toothpuller". I'm assuming that's a track off one of Izzy's solo CDs. If not, "Toothpuller" is a rejected Chi D song. Either way, not very creative.

You should PM MotherGooseLuvR if want to know more.
Everyone assumed Pitman and Dizzy wrote Silkworms- but Axl and Dizzy did. (Axl wrote the chorus)

And I'm pretty sure in some article from a while back- there's a mention of Izzy bringing songs to Axl- so it's not really groundbreaking news.

First, I agree with those who says Izzy could have credits on CD, although I somewhat doubt it. It's more likely for follow ups though.

Also, I think Izzy's last albums has gotten worse, and especially his lyrics got weaker. You're right that he was giving Axl songs back in the mid 90s too, and I think they may have even recorded a song. I can't see why Axl would need him to write lyrics though.

About "Silkworms", that's interesting, because I believe Axl wrote the lyrics, with the other two writing the music. After all Dizzy said they were sending stuff between computers, so I'd think both of them wrote music. Surely, Dizzy could've written some of the lyrics too, though.

Always thought IRS fitted that description most - four ascending power chords with lots of muted notes in between - sorta like Smells Like Teen Spirit.

The problem with this is that "I.R.S." was already known as a songtitle when "Quick Song" info was released. Assuming one song has one title, "I.R.S." is out.
Jackamo!
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 12:43:35 AM »

^ I sent you all the info I got on Silkworms.

It's a good read.

If anyone meets Pitman- ask him what he did writing wise on Silkworms- just in case Dizzy is trying to steal credit. Grin
I think both sides of the story is fair. Dizzy said he wrote it (besides the chorus Axl said he wrote that) and Pitman worked on it after-the-fact.

I think Axl confuses people when he introduces songs like "This was put together by Mr. Chris Pitman and Dizzy Reed" or "This is a Robin song". I can't wait to see the credits on the disc.
GetInTheJungle
Rocker

Rock Out With Your C**k Out

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 09:53:17 AM »

Very good posting.
Some info I was unaware of.
Thanks  ok

12/06/02 Phila
05/14/06 NYC
11/05/06 NJ
11/10/06 NYC MSG
11/17/11 NJ
11/20/11 PA
02/24/12 AC NJ
02/27/12 Phila
11/07/12 Vegas
11/09/12 Vegas
05/13/14 PA
07/14/16 Phila Linc
07/23/16 NY Met
estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2007, 10:10:09 AM »

The problem with this is that "I.R.S." was already known as a songtitle when "Quick Song" info was released. Assuming one song has one title, "I.R.S." is out.

Oh yeah true enough. I don't believe we've heard whatever song was Quick song yet - Chinese Democracy is kinda grungy but doesn't sound enough like SLTS for anyone to say it sounds like it, plus its not a very quick song so I'd say we haven't heard it yet.
^ I sent you all the info I got on Silkworms.

It's a good read.
Any chance you could post this on the forum - im sure everyone would be interested. I understand it was a private conversation but it's about the music which is important, it's not something about their private lives or anything, so I don't think Dizzy would mind you posting publicy about a song.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 10:13:02 AM by estrangedpaul » Logged

estrangedpaul
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2007, 11:17:35 AM »

I'm Sorry (Finck/Rose): Written in or before 2006. Very likely to be on the album. Sebastian Bach mentioned the song, and with him talking about it, the song is most likely considered for release. Bach said the song is "almost like doom metal with Axl singing really clean over this grinding, slow beat that is fucking mean. I cannot get it out of my head." Rumors indicate that Robin Finck co-wrote the song.

Who said it was called "I'm Sorry". Bach said it was just called "Sorry" didn't he? Or was their another source on this song?

Lucky
Legend

There are no tuesdays left in 2006 and/or 2007!!!

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2007, 02:26:40 PM »

madagascar was written in 93/4, as Axl said recently.

typical fan talkin about reunion:  http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/axG5B52_460s.jpg
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2007, 02:40:08 PM »

yea bach said it was sorry  and this guy says it's im' sorry 

don't know?  lets just hope we can have the album soon so all these threads will be fun to look back on

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2007, 02:42:19 PM »

I would not take too much of this 'info' too seriously. Alot of it is either old or wrong ?hihi (I think it says this in the original post though)
give_it_a_rest
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2007, 04:10:10 PM »

Hopefully in 2008 we know what CD may look and sound like   Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
jazjme
Can't get over the past? Let me be your guide!
Legend

...ABSURD!!

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 03:09:11 AM »

I would not take too much of this 'info' too seriously. Alot of it is either old or wrong  hihi (I think it says this in the original post though)

To that Id say till there is an actual Cd and physical evidence presented and tangible liner notes, and hey maybe even a documentary going over all the yrs, about the songs, much of it is indeed speculations, based on old news and perhaps info that isn't right. I'd be more interested if you actually pointed out errors,or at least gave a hint to correct things. But you didn't do that . Because I tend to think you yourself don't  really know, or you can't really talk about it. This isn't an attack, more so  this is
to just spur some conversation if any can be had . While we wait patiently for the real deal! beer

10.16.87 10.23.87 10.30.87 1.31.88 2.2.88 5.9.88 8.16.88 9.15.88
6.17.91 12.9.91 12.10.91,12.13.91
7.18.92 12.5.02 5.12.06 5.14.06 5.15.06 5.17.06 11.17.11 2.10.12 2.15.12
11.9.12 11.10.12 5.24.14
ZRO
Rocker

Does this look infected?

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 03:55:40 AM »

Quick song I believe was the working title for Chinese Democracy. Read the Rolling Stone description from back in the day.....

It was describe as GNR's version of "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or something like that

This post and threads like this in general are why this album needs to come out NOW. I'm so sick of all this, "so and so said Prostitute is the true BIG GUN and the best rocker since AFD....so and so said 'If The World' is a 10 minute epic like Estranged... so and so said 'This I Love' is the new November Rain'.. so and so said Quick Song is GNR's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'.

I guess that kind of rumor mongering sets in when its taken this long, but its getting ridiculous. Remember when Contraband came out? Slither was supposed to be WTTJ, Fall to Pieces was supposed to be November Rain, Superhuman was supposed to be SCOM.

You guys have built up in your head what these songs SHOULD sound like to you based off of tons of unsubstantiated rumors, and for many of these songs it will be impossible to reach their expectations (Prostitute) no matter how good it is. You guys are setting yourself up for disappointment.
MrBrOwNsToNeR
Rocker

http://www.myspace.com/pellostone

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 05:09:24 AM »

Quick song I believe was the working title for Chinese Democracy. Read the Rolling Stone description from back in the day.....

This post and threads like this in general are why this album needs to come out NOW. I'm so sick of all this, "so and so said Prostitute is the true BIG GUN and the best rocker since AFD....so and so said 'If The World' is a 10 minute epic like Estranged... so and so said 'This I Love' is the new November Rain'.. so and so said Quick Song is GNR's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'.

I guess that kind of rumor mongering sets in when its taken this long, but its getting ridiculous. Remember when Contraband came out? Slither was supposed to be WTTJ, Fall to Pieces was supposed to be November Rain, Superhuman was supposed to be SCOM.

You guys have built up in your head what these songs SHOULD sound like to you based off of tons of unsubstantiated rumors, and for many of these songs it will be impossible to reach their expectations (Prostitute) no matter how good it is. You guys are setting yourself up for disappointment.

TRUE !

I think Chinese Democracy will not be better than Contraband... Many expectations but finally it will be just a mainstream rock album...

MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2007, 05:43:51 AM »

Then prepare yourself for something you are not expecting.

Remember that "Better" is better than the whole VR album yes
gunns1
Legend

I am the Soul Monster of HTGTH

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2007, 06:32:02 AM »

any songs better then scott WEISEL weilands album.

Esp catcherrr......

'Awesome! The due is a sick guitar player!!! He's the real deal... and you don't come by the real deal very often.
MrBrOwNsToNeR
Rocker

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2007, 07:46:07 AM »

hum i dont think so.

Better is just a good song ... as good as many VR songs...

I'm waiting for the studio version ... but for instance i didn't heard a GREAT song from GNR 2006/7 ... just good radio formatted songs.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2007, 07:47:40 AM by MrBrOwNsToNeR » Logged

MJ23
VIP

KING OF AUDIO

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2007, 08:05:10 AM »

That's your opinion.

I think Contraband is an average album. It could maybe been better with a different singer. But it is max. a "5 / 10" rating.
Some songs sound nearly the same. And really can you name one VR song that has the same quality as "Better". rofl

It is good that we all have different opinions. yes
Death Cube K
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2007, 08:09:28 AM »

Madagascar (Pitman/Rose): Written in or before 2000. Axl wrote the lyrics, while at least some of the music was written by Chris Pitman. It's very unlikely someone else than Pitman could put together the solo part of the song.

Not correct. As someone mentioned it being from 93/94, I will also mention that the song was talked about between Axl and this woman sometime in 1998 or 99. Axl told her he just wrote the song and didnt know where he got it from and was very happy about it. It was during this children party thingy Axl hosted in the late 90's. Pitman did the sound effects probably but he shouldnt be put forward in the song writing credits more than lets say Buckethead who obviously wrote the solo.

There's also the thing about Tommy Stinson. Stinson went back to the GNR studio in 04 or 05 and said he wanted to make sure that his input was on the album, and...it was. It's quite obvious Tommy's been doing lots of stuff on the album, alongside Finck. The writing credits would obviously be IMO Axl first, then Finck, Tommy and Buckethead. Smiley
knut
Who needs custom titles anyway?
Headliner

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2007, 09:07:15 AM »

There's also the thing about Tommy Stinson. Stinson went back to the GNR studio in 04 or 05 and said he wanted to make sure that his input was on the album, and...it was. It's quite obvious Tommy's been doing lots of stuff on the album, alongside Finck. The writing credits would obviously be IMO Axl first, then Finck, Tommy and Buckethead. Smiley
Tommy said in an radio-interview in '04, I think:

"We all work together... It's a strange prosess I've never done, before but basically it's 8 people collaborating on tit-bits of music or stuff we work up. A number of things... I think all of us so far have brought in pieces of music that we've worked into the new record in one form or another, and for the most part... It's a totall collaborative effort him (Axl) involved and us all involved and kinda moshing stuff around and try to make songs out of it. I think the outcome of that have been extrodinary... Like I haven't done that before. The Replasements was all Paul wrote the songs and dictated what we were gonna do and stuff. Axl is more of an inclusive kinda guy.

MrBrOwNsToNeR
Rocker

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2007, 09:12:53 AM »

That's your opinion.

I think Contraband is an average album. It could maybe been better with a different singer. But it is max. a "5 / 10" rating.
Some songs sound nearly the same. And really can you name one VR song that has the same quality as "Better". rofl

It is good that we all have different opinions. yes

yes it's good.

but if better was on Contraband i'm sure many poeple here would'nt  consider this song as a great song...
This song is an average song... Better is not a Great Song... nobody will talk about Bette in 20 years ... i'm sure of that.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: