Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2024, 01:31:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228527 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Protagonism of the three guitarists
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Protagonism of the three guitarists  (Read 3647 times)
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« on: February 16, 2007, 02:59:15 AM »

No matter what 2006 DVD I am looking, my conclusion is that, besides Axl, the most protagonist band member, the one that everyone looks to, is Robin. I always wondered about this, and sometimes I ask myself if that protagonism is something ''natural'', inherent to Robin charisma, or is it something promoted and planned by Axl.

What do you think? I think we all can see that Robin is THE gnr guitarist onstage, even when he is clearly the less technically gifted of the three.

Also, it's strange that Robin didnt have this enormous protagonism back in 2001/2002. Its obvious that his new look helped, but I think that there are more reasons regarding the abrupt change we now see.

My questions to you all are:

1) Do you agree with me about Robin being the most protagonist band member (live) after Axl?
2) [if you agree] Do you think that this protagonism is ''natural'', i mean, something spontaneous, or do you think it is something promoted and planned by Axl?
3) [about 2001-2002] Could it be that Robin was ''eclipsed'' or ''inhibited'' by Buckethead those days?
4) How would you rank, from more to less protagonism, the current three guitarists?

I hope you understand my rustic english  Grin

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2007, 03:09:33 AM »

1) Do you agree with me about Robin being the most protagonist band member (live) after Axl?

Yes, no doubt. He gets most of the flashy parts, and also looks the most rock n' roll.

2) [if you agree] Do you think that this protagonism is ''natural'', i mean, something spontaneous, or do you think it is something promoted and planned by Axl?

I think it's coincidental.

3) [about 2001-2002] Could it be that Robin was ''eclipsed'' or ''inhibited'' by Buckethead those days?

He was eclipsed by looking like a freak.

4) How would you rank, from more to less protagonism, the current three guitarists?

I wouldn't go that far. This isn't Star Wars.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
supaplex
VIP

just another lazy prick

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 03:15:26 AM »

yes.

it's not something promoted by axl. i think robin impresses more on stage by his stature and the way he moves on stage. when i saw them last year i was really amazed when he was in front of me.

i kinda liked robin more than buckethead in those years but for the most people maybe buckethead's image made people pay more attention to him?

my favorite is richard, but i can't rank them

Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 03:17:37 AM »

I agree that someone learned the word protagonism today and decided to go to town with it! ?Just kidding buddy.

Yes, by far. ?Robin is the man on the axe.....he's gotta have that secondary flare to focus attention from Axl.

Both....I think he changed his appearance to tailor to the crowd more, but he definitely upped his playing in the past tour. ?I was very impressed with his renditions of the songs this time around.

Very much...as far as attention goes, Mr. Bucket was getting most of it, be it bad or good. ?He was either being hailed as a freak or a genius or both by reviewers and fans alike. ?Playing wise, I think Bucket stole the show live with his fierceness.

1. Robin, 2. Richard. 3. Bumblefoot

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Mr. Nik™
VIP

This I Love

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 03:47:24 AM »

yeah

both: Robin attitude is natural, Axl understand his potential.

no. the fact was that the whole band situation was different

can't rank them

my signature... starts now!!?
morally pure, exact, calm, serenity, peace, reighteousness, forgive, eternal, thank, passion, enthusiastic, respect
Jim Bob
Finckadelic
Legend

You are an asshole and everyone knows it

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 06:51:27 AM »

easily.  he's the first thing you see and hear at the beginning of the show.   he gets the most spotlight and the most leads.   he has the best presence on stage, and imo his stage presence is about equal with Axl Rose.

to a point, I would say its a little bit of both.   He naturally stands out, and he's been there longer than the other guys.

Back then Robin still played more leads than Buckethead, but I suppose Buckethead's spectacle image may have detracted from him a bit.   I think more than anything, in 2002 Finck was still in 'NIN' mode and he has since broken free of that.   Plus that tour is where the chemistry was built between these band members.

Robin, and I'd put the other 2 guys pretty equal, just a hair below him.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 07:52:04 AM »

yes

Its natural. Robin's charisma shows through his performances.

Bucket was so strange all eyes fixed on him. Now, things are different. Robin no longer needs to look Goth ( notice when Bucket left, Goth Robin was no more? Robin has better command of the stage on the guitar.

Robin, Richard, B-Foot. ( Ron is so humble I dont think he even cares about who is the most charismatic. He just wants to play & blow the audiences minds,which he does)

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
Adam_Guill
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 12:42:46 PM »

you don't seem to be entirely clear on how to properly use the word protagonist. and you certainly don't understand what the word protagonism means. but yeah, robin's pretty cool for a rock and roll pirate jesus
estebanf
Odio a Aito De La Rua
Legend

Robin Finck

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 03:07:59 PM »

you don't seem to be entirely clear on how to properly use the word protagonist. and you certainly don't understand what the word protagonism means. but yeah, robin's pretty cool for a rock and roll pirate jesus
yes, maybe you're right. My mother language is not english, I just did my best translating the word I'd use in spanish (''protagonismo'') into english.

Anyway, until now, all the posters in this thread have understood my questions and my point perfectly.

1993: 7/17
2010: 3/10 - 3/18 - 3/22
2011: 10/2 - 10/5 - 10/8 - 10/10 - 10/12 - 10/15
2014: 3/28 - 3/30 - 4/1 - 4/3 - 4/6 - 4/12
2016: 6/26 - 7/1 - 11/1 - 11/4 - 11/5
2017: 1/10
2022: 9/30 - 10/0
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 07:54:59 AM »

and also looks the most rock n' roll.

*cough* Fortus *cough*
Chris Axl
All that I wanted was...
Rocker

Axl Got My Sunglasses

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 09:14:54 AM »

No, its Fortus. Hes got the best stage presence after Axl

dident agree...

Im sure Buckethead got alot of attention, but I think Richard was the one with best stage presence back then to

Richard, Robin, Ron

If I were you, I'd manage to abhor the invitation
Of promised love that can't keep up with your adoration
Just use your head, and in the end you'll find your inspiration
To choose your steps and w
CocaineTongue22
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »

You cannot use the word "protagonist" in the manner you are using it. "Most protagonist" is like saying "most antagonist". Grammatically incorrect.

That said, Robin OWNS. He had HUGE shoes to fill, and rather than immitate, he was himself and I am willing to bet his will be the standouts on CD. Richard is the shit. Thal is awesome. But Robin, Tommy, Dizzy and Ax are the core.

Can't wait.
Ganja4Life
Banned
VIP

Peace,Love,Guns N' Roses

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 09:31:43 AM »

No, its Fortus. Hes got the best stage presence after Axl

dident agree...

Im sure Buckethead got alot of attention, but I think Richard was the one with best stage presence back then to

Richard, Robin, Ron

agreed.When I saw him in saint john..he looked like he didnt give a fuck if he was there..richard and ron looked they were havin an awesome time and they showed more charisma than robin" im better than all of you" Finck

Hi,my name's Dakota
I like Guns N' Roses
They're my favorite band
Bartlet
Banned
VIP

Here Today...And Back Tommorrow

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 09:41:40 AM »

yes, maybe you're right. My mother language is not english, I just did my best translating the word I'd use in spanish (''protagonismo'') into english.

Anyway, until now, all the posters in this thread have understood my questions and my point perfectly.

quite right.

I would'nt do that if I were you.
Orgasmatron
Headliner

Hey, Chicken Boy..

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 10:28:54 AM »

I love Robin.. He should still play the first November Rain solo ala RIR3.. He nailed everything that show, I've been a massive fan since. The Blues solo at RIR3 is unsurpassed ok

Robin is my favourite in the band, currently.

The Spaghetti Incident? on NEWGNR.com is quite simply put; God!
Chris Axl
All that I wanted was...
Rocker

Axl Got My Sunglasses

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 12:02:30 PM »

I love Robin.. He should still play the first November Rain solo ala RIR3..

I love Robin.

But damn he played that NR solo so bad at RIR 01' no

he does it better now tough, but I think Fortus and BBF should get NR alone......they make it perfect

If I were you, I'd manage to abhor the invitation
Of promised love that can't keep up with your adoration
Just use your head, and in the end you'll find your inspiration
To choose your steps and w
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 02:21:32 PM »

What do you think? I think we all can see that Robin is THE gnr guitarist onstage, even when he is clearly the less technically gifted of the three.
I don't agree with that statement. I think Robin and Bumblefoot both have a very different and distinct talent and style of playing, and are both important to the current band's sound. In my opinion, Richard is the less gifted of the three, although he's still an excellent player, which is why he remains generally in the shadows of the other two (not to discredit fans of Mr. Fortus, he's great).

Yes.
Natural. It's natural for the lead guitarist anyway, but of the three currently in GN'R he's the most dynamic. He's the most charismatic, and it was inherent in his playing with NIN that he was the focal point right beside Reznor to the fans.
More like Robin's spotlight was dimmed to the overwhelming attention someone with Buckethead's...eccentricities and appearance would garner. To the casual observer, Buckethead's genius talent didn't even register. He was simply too weird and rather than overshadow Robin he just garnered most of his press. It's hard to outdo a man wearing a KFC bucket, Michael Myers-type mask, and coveralls with rain coat, no matter how much better he may or may not play compared to you. Besides, I have 20 of Buckethead's "solo" albums, have always been and will always be a fan. I was happy I got to see him live for a brief moment with my favorite band, but his style simply does not fit with a band like this, no matter how proficiently talented he may be. Robin is THE GN'R guitarist of (I hate to use this expression) New GN'R.
Robin, Bumblefoot (who I love), and Richard.

Edit: I'd just like to add that for the record Robin's "change" in appearance is just a progression of his own unique style, not any pressure from Axl, the band, or the GN'R fan base. If you think his look right now is so drastically different, go look at all the older Robin Finck photos you can and you might realize he has a thing for being outlandish in his appearance, one way or another, and changed it up quite a bit. He never looked like a "goth freak," and his latest style is an expression of where he is now, suites him well, and is appropriate for his age. It's the best he's ever looked, and I've been a fan of Robin's since the mid-90s.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 02:24:47 PM by JonathanvonDoom » Logged
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 03:09:19 PM »

yes

If you'd ever seen him perform with NIN, you'd see that he had exactly the same stage presence then as he does now.  I think the fact he was more inhibited in 01/02 is that they hadn't played many shows together at the time.  The chemistry between the members wasn't there so much because of this, and perhaps even the fact that there was a lot of criticism and hatred for them before they'd even played a show because of who they weren't could have also made him feel a bit nervous and uncomfortable to begin with.

I think Buckethead eclipsed the whole band.  Nothing against Buckethead, but I believe he got all of the attention for all of the wrong reasons.  People weren't seeing a great player, they were seeing a guy with a Jason mask and KFC bucket.  Even now the shadow of Buckethead looms over this band, as there are those who still don't know that he's left... you mention the new Guns N' Roses line-up to these people, and a lot of them will probably snicker and talk about how much of a joke Buckethead is.

Robin, then Richard... I actually believe these two might actually be pretty equal in stage presence.  When they do they're guitar duet, it's a really emotional moment.  Bumblefoot is great too, but he tends to appear for his solos and then disappear again until the next time he gets to solo.
blackvelvet
Banned
Headliner

sexcrimesex

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »

Edit: I'd just like to add that for the record Robin's "change" in appearance is just a progression of his own unique style, not any pressure from Axl, the band, or the GN'R fan base. If you think his look right now is so drastically different, go look at all the older Robin Finck photos you can and you might realize he has a thing for being outlandish in his appearance, one way or another, and changed it up quite a bit. He never looked like a "goth freak," and his latest style is an expression of where he is now, suites him well, and is appropriate for his age. It's the best he's ever looked, and I've been a fan of Robin's since the mid-90s.

Wow.  I am really impressed.  Everyone here is really postive about his playing.  Where are the people who say "Robin Fink sux"  and "call the shit guitar playing police!"

Btw the guy who I have quoted above - totally agree with you mate.  He didnt do this change for anyone except himself.  He may even go back to the goth stage again so be careful what you say.  Though this little era is sexy, this is my favourite one:

Assumptions are the mother of all fuck ups

Myspace Page http://www.myspace.com/babyvicious
Tatu
Rocker

God

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 09:36:11 PM »

Yes, but only at concerts. Bumblefoot has his gift at stage too.

Both, i think.
Axl likes Finck a lot so he help him and he give advice
And part of that is something spontaneous, yo can't do it if not.

Sure, besides his look at that moment didn't help him.

Finck
BBF
FORTUS

But technnicaly i like FORTUS, BBF and FINCK (in order)

take care,

Tatu

You really know who's Maradona!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: