Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 04:32:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 205851 times)
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #400 on: September 21, 2007, 04:28:27 PM »

^ but during the allstar break, Jeter said they could catch the red sox... they were what? 10 games out then??
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #401 on: September 21, 2007, 04:39:12 PM »

^ but during the allstar break, Jeter said they could catch the red sox... they were what? 10 games out then??

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that.  There isn't a team that says "yeah, we're playing to get to .500 and to have a shot at the wildcard."  If you're alive in the division, you play for the division, and you SAY you're playing for the division...until you're mathematically eliminated.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #402 on: September 21, 2007, 05:25:35 PM »

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on that.? There isn't a team that says "yeah, we're playing to get to .500 and to have a shot at the wildcard."? If you're alive in the division, you play for the division, and you SAY you're playing for the division...until you're mathematically eliminated.

Read sandmans quotes.. Thats exactly what Torre and Pettit were sayin  hihi
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #403 on: September 21, 2007, 05:42:25 PM »

Maybe the wrong choice of words.  I don't mean that the Red Sox are not concerned or don't care if they win the division.  Of course they WANT to win the division.  That's one goal when the season starts.  BUT, the ultimate goal is to win the world series and it's been proven in the fact that a wild card has just as good a shot at winning it all.  I beileve a wild card team one 4 straight titles a few years back or so?  So while it would be great to hold of the Yanks and win the AL East, that is not the ultimate goal.  What good would it do to rush Manny, Youkilis, and Crisp back?  Pitch Dice K and Okajima till their arms fall off to win the division and then not have any of them for the playoffs?  This is just a belief of mine, I could be wrong.  Of course I want them to win the division, I won't be happy staggering into the playoffs as the wild card.  I just think if they didn't have the wild card to fall back on they may be doing things a little differently down the stretch.  Guys may play hurt, guys may pitch with tired arms, etc.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Misfits 138
Headliner

who came along for the ride???

« Reply #404 on: September 21, 2007, 10:57:56 PM »

horray for the cubs!!! so yea...i still hate the fact that the cubs have 2 off days in the future and the brewers keep playing with no rest...it scares me a bit if the brewers win both games on the off days they gain a full game on us...so we need to dominate from here on out...and hope the brewers forget how to hit and throw...and keep playing good baseball...Zambrano should be better next start since he would have his usual rest...last night he didnt have it...he had no snap in his pithes. but yea...only a few more games left to play...lets do this cubbies!!!!!!

Yeah, but the Cubs have the Pirates, Marlins, and Reds (again), while the Brew Crew have the Braves, Cards, and Padres.? And I'd rather be up one than in the Brewers' position.? Schedule favors the Cubs...though they still have to go out there are play like they want it.? I do think they host the tiebreaker w/ Milwaukee, if it comes to that.

right, i forgot about the marlins series....hehehe..go cubs go go cubs go, hey chicago what do ya say..the cubs are gonna win today! anyway...yea..definately the schedule favors us..plus i dont have to worry about the offdays and brewers gaining ground, since they lost yesterday. meanwhile, what a game the cubs had today! our bats need to do that from here on out. i can smell that division clincher!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #405 on: September 21, 2007, 11:35:19 PM »

Too bad Bobby Cox felt the need to leave Tim Hudson in a few batters too long.   no

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Misfits 138
Headliner

« Reply #406 on: September 22, 2007, 12:57:42 AM »

yea...i was happy caus brewers were dominated tonight..untill like the 8th...i was excited caus i thought we would be at 2 and a half games in first. and yea..just damn! ah well..i hope the cubs do good tomorrow, and brewers loose...but like right now, in the standing and everything what is the magic number for the cubs?? does it go down to like the last game of the season for them to clinch it?? caus yea, i just feel that its our time, and i feel we will do good in the playoffs, just as long as soto starts as catcher though...i like kendall but soto is the man, and he at least gets runners out at second, and has good power. and i believe that soto is the only minor leagur who can actually heat major league pitching at this point, pie is good, but hes not as good as he can be. but we have a strong team here, i believe we will do great in the post season, big z needs to give us quality starts, and soto needs to start, and everything should be fine.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #407 on: September 22, 2007, 10:39:04 AM »

Maybe the wrong choice of words.? I don't mean that the Red Sox are not concerned or don't care if they win the division.? Of course they WANT to win the division.? That's one goal when the season starts.? BUT, the ultimate goal is to win the world series and it's been proven in the fact that a wild card has just as good a shot at winning it all.? I beileve a wild card team one 4 straight titles a few years back or so?? So while it would be great to hold of the Yanks and win the AL East, that is not the ultimate goal.? What good would it do to rush Manny, Youkilis, and Crisp back?? Pitch Dice K and Okajima till their arms fall off to win the division and then not have any of them for the playoffs?? This is just a belief of mine, I could be wrong.? Of course I want them to win the division, I won't be happy staggering into the playoffs as the wild card.? I just think if they didn't have the wild card to fall back on they may be doing things a little differently down the stretch.? Guys may play hurt, guys may pitch with tired arms, etc.

gotcha. based on your previous post, and pilferk's comment about the "tact" they are taking, i thought maybe they were resting players or something.

and in this post you're contradicting yourself. is this a belief of yours, or is there evidence that players are being rested?

winning the division should be the goal. still, you have to be smart and make sure you have your top players for the playoffs. because of all the wins they racked up this year, they are not in a desperate situation and can afford to be a little conservative when making decisions regarding who should play.

besides, it's not like using backups guarantees they lose and end up with the wild card. just as using somewhat injured or tired players doesn't guarantee they play well and win the division.

they could have the best of both worlds - the division and a healthy team.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #408 on: September 22, 2007, 04:25:11 PM »

...and suddenly the Cubs offense is coming out hot, and their power numbers are up.  That's the way I WANT them to go into the playoffs (if they make it...can't jinx them with my hubris). 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #409 on: September 22, 2007, 07:01:53 PM »

Maybe the wrong choice of words.? I don't mean that the Red Sox are not concerned or don't care if they win the division.? Of course they WANT to win the division.? That's one goal when the season starts.? BUT, the ultimate goal is to win the world series and it's been proven in the fact that a wild card has just as good a shot at winning it all.? I beileve a wild card team one 4 straight titles a few years back or so?? So while it would be great to hold of the Yanks and win the AL East, that is not the ultimate goal.? What good would it do to rush Manny, Youkilis, and Crisp back?? Pitch Dice K and Okajima till their arms fall off to win the division and then not have any of them for the playoffs?? This is just a belief of mine, I could be wrong.? Of course I want them to win the division, I won't be happy staggering into the playoffs as the wild card.? I just think if they didn't have the wild card to fall back on they may be doing things a little differently down the stretch.? Guys may play hurt, guys may pitch with tired arms, etc.

gotcha. based on your previous post, and pilferk's comment about the "tact" they are taking, i thought maybe they were resting players or something.

and in this post you're contradicting yourself. is this a belief of yours, or is there evidence that players are being rested?

winning the division should be the goal. still, you have to be smart and make sure you have your top players for the playoffs. because of all the wins they racked up this year, they are not in a desperate situation and can afford to be a little conservative when making decisions regarding who should play.

besides, it's not like using backups guarantees they lose and end up with the wild card. just as using somewhat injured or tired players doesn't guarantee they play well and win the division.

they could have the best of both worlds - the division and a healthy team.
I tend to think they are resting their players by necessity.  In other words, I truly don't think Manny or Youkilis are ready to play, so they're being rested.  Crisp came back last night and went 0-4 with 3 K's, but he did play.  Ortiz is hurting a little but he played last night against Kazmir (who he doesn't have good #'s against) and on artificial turf (not good for the balky knees).  He got 3 hits including a homer and 3 RBI's.  Okajima has hit a wall, needs rest.  The only one I'd really question is Dice K.  I believe he could USE the rest, but his last time out against the Yanks was his best game in quite some time.  So if they absolutely were fighting for their playoff lives I think they could've used him on his regular rest instead of pushing him back a few days.  That's my take on things at least.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Misfits 138
Headliner

« Reply #410 on: September 23, 2007, 11:14:59 PM »

wow, another great game by the cubs, Zambrano was on his A game today, and it was amazing to watch! and also the wrigley fans doing that tamahawk chop in wrigley when they posted the final of the braves vs brewers game! and now our magic number is 4, which by my caculations, i believe Zambrano is pitching on friday, so we could win it on his last start of the regular season. i can smell post season in the cubs future, i cant wait for some baseball at wrigly in october!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #411 on: September 23, 2007, 11:32:29 PM »

wow, another great game by the cubs, Zambrano was on his A game today, and it was amazing to watch! and also the wrigley fans doing that tamahawk chop in wrigley when they posted the final of the braves vs brewers game! and now our magic number is 4, which by my caculations, i believe Zambrano is pitching on friday, so we could win it on his last start of the regular season. i can smell post season in the cubs future, i cant wait for some baseball at wrigly in october!

I tried to buy NLDS tix today but, needless to say, I failed in my attempt.  As long as Bartman didn't get any...

But the Cubs are starting to play in postseason form.  The offense and power are both up, the "stars" are really coming through, and Big Z was dominant today.  Off tomorrow, while the Brew Crew hosts St. Louis.

Man, is San Diego starting to slide...I wouldn't mind seeing the best rotation in the NL not make the playoffs, though I'm not sure substituting them with the best offense is what most have in mind. 

And congrats to any Anaheim (excuse me...Los Angeles OF Anaheim, whatever the hell that means) and Cleveland fans on their division crowns.  I gotta say that I'm really pulling for the Indians in the AL.  Do they still have Rick Vaughn?   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #412 on: September 24, 2007, 08:04:26 AM »

that's not exactly true. torre has said he just wanted to win games and find a way to be playing in october. and not think about Boston. then there's this...

"When we were 14 1/2 back, ... I just never really thought about the division. I didn't," Andy Pettitte said after the Yankees swept the Baltimore Orioles. "I wanted to make the playoffs, and then I knew if we continued to play well maybe that would be something that we could set our sights on."

There have been exceptions (you noted a couple above).  Largely, that's not what they've said.  The "company line" has been they are out to win the division....even when they were 14 1/2 games back.

My comments on the Sox were centered around both the actions, and the comments, of Francona.  He was adjusting his rotation for the playoffs VERY early, taking the extra 3 days rest for his pitchers earlier than he needed to.  He had also talked of resting Ortiz (which he ended up not doing) and Crisp once they clinced the play offs.  When asked why, his comments seemed to minimize the division, since they were pretty much assured of making the playoffs.  I understand you want your guys healthy going into the playoffs, but...years ago...without the wild card as a safety net, I think they would have played things differently.  My opinion (and it is entirely my own) is that the way they were doing things minimized the division title to the point where it was almost "anti-sports" or "anti-competitive spirit".

AFTER that, though, he clarified (after my post, actually) when the media came down on him about it.  He said something like (and this isn't a direct quote) "We're going to get a rest period, eventually, before the playoffs anyway.  It's the way the schedule works out.  I wanted to take it early so the players can shake off any rust before the playoffs".

THAT I have no problem with.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #413 on: September 24, 2007, 07:38:55 PM »

Well two games separate the yankees and sox and 6 to play. I still think the remaining games favor the yankees. It should be an exciting finish.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #414 on: September 24, 2007, 08:07:03 PM »

FLASHBACK:

On June 27th, 2007, the Milwaukee Brewers were a season high (I think) 14 games over, at 46-32, with their nearest competition, the Cubs, 7.5 games behind them. 

Had they just played .500 ball since then, they'd currently be either 84-71 or 85-70, and either 1.5 or 2.5 games ahead of the Cubs for the division lead.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #415 on: September 25, 2007, 10:27:10 AM »

Six left, and the Phils are now tied with the Pads for the wildcard.  This'll be a fun one to watch.  But the division leads in the NL are starting to look safer than a week ago. 

Here's to a great final week!  beer
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:32:42 AM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #416 on: September 25, 2007, 10:40:22 AM »

Six left, and the Phils are now tied with the Pads for the wildcard.  This'll be a fun one to watch.  But the division leads in the NL are starting to look safer than a week ago. 

Here's to a great final week!  beer

Given the loss of Bradley and Cameron (who will likely be limited, at least...but how effective can he play with a blown ligament in his hand?), I'd say the advantage is the Phils right now.

Looks like the Yanks will make the playoffs....and while the Sox lead is razor thin, they'll probably hold on.  They'd have to implode for the Yanks to catch them (though the Yanks have the D-rays and Baltimore, while the Sox are facing the Twins and Oakland, so....), I think.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #417 on: September 25, 2007, 10:46:25 AM »

The Sox HAVE secured a playoff spot...just not the division.  So, they're safe for October play, though losing their lead like this isn't how you'd like to go into the playoffs.

I agree on the Pads.  It's surreal watching the Bradly ACL footage.  He got into it with the first base ump, had to be restrained by his OWN MANAGER, and fell to the ground, tearing his ACL.  Yeah.  Weirdest thing I've seen in a while. 

If I had to pick 'em, I'd say Mets, D-backs, Cubs, Phils, which would mean Cubs @ Mets and Phils @ D-backs to start.  While I'd rather the Cubs not play the Mets, the truth of it is that they didn't do well against ANY of those teams (or San Diego, for that matter) and they'll have to play them better than they did during the regular season.  Too bad we won't see Phils vs. San Diego.  I'd love to see that offense against that pitching. 

BTW, in the last three games, the Pads are pitching Maddux, Young, and Tomko at the Brewers, though they could pitch Peavy on three days rest, instead of Tomko, if they need that game.  Should be an important series.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 10:49:41 AM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #418 on: September 25, 2007, 01:37:18 PM »

i can't believe the phils are tied right now. i just picked up tix for the last 6 games...hoping to go to 3 or 4 of them.

the pads are a mess and the mets are choking as bad as the red sox. but things can change on a dime. it's gonna be an exciting week. look out for the rockies...if i had to bet, my money would be on them getting the WC. the phils have some rough pitching matchups this week.

it is truly remarkable what the phils have accomplished in light of all their injuries and poor pitching. their bullpen has been attrocious, and here's their probables the rest of the way:

Moyer 5.01
Lohse 5.05
Eaton 6.33 (although they should move his start to friday and pitch kendrick vs. the braves on thursday)
Kendrick 3.83
Hamels 3.54

phils have missed the playoffs the last couple years by just a couple games, so i'm expecting the same. but if they were to get in, they could really make some noise. two good starters and a savvy veteran pitching games 1-3, and the most potent offense in the NL.

the cubs will win an easy series vs. the mets. they are folding like a cheap suit. and i love it.  rofl

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #419 on: September 25, 2007, 01:44:49 PM »

the cubs will win an easy series vs. the mets. they are folding like a cheap suit. and i love it.  rofl

Please tell me that in real life, you're Miss Cleo.  hihi

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: