Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 10:28:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228491 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206143 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #300 on: August 14, 2007, 03:30:17 PM »

"The Scooter"...Phil Rizzuto...died late last night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2974097

The Scooter will forever be engrained in my memories of the Yankees, and my long time fandom.  I'll never forget him calling the games on NY Channel 11, while my dad and I would sit and watch.  I grew up with Phil calling the games and to me...he was the voice of the Yanks in my childhood.

RIP, Phil.  Thanks for the memories.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #301 on: August 14, 2007, 03:43:31 PM »

"The Scooter"...Phil Rizzuto...died late last night.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2974097

The Scooter will forever be engrained in my memories of the Yankees, and my long time fandom.? I'll never forget him calling the games on NY Channel 11, while my dad and I would sit and watch.? I grew up with Phil calling the games and to me...he was the voice of the Yanks in my childhood.

RIP, Phil.? Thanks for the memories.

I echo those sentiments.  I just heard about this a few hours ago.  I am far from a Yankee fan but I AM a baseball fan and I too remember watching Yankee games with Phil and Bill White I believe it was.  A good man was lost.  And on a lighter note, who can forget Phil's longtime association with 1-800-LOAN-YES.  The amount of times my friends and I would call that # at age 10 and ask to speak to Phil Rizzuto.  Oh the memories.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #302 on: August 14, 2007, 04:45:17 PM »

I met Rizzuto in 1996, towards the end of the year, and I asked him what he thought of the Yankees young shortstop - this kid Jeter

He responded by saying that he loved him, he was a real sweetheart and that he was gonna be a good one for a long time to come - I guess he had that one pegged right!

This is a sad day indeed

A nice man who lived a nice life Cry
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #303 on: August 14, 2007, 06:56:36 PM »

That's the thing...from all accounts, Phil was as good a guy, as good a person, as he was a player and announcer.

The yanks are going to wear his number on their uniforms for the rest of the season.  Scooter, I think, would be proud.

They're doing a huge tribute during the game tonight...and the YES network has been doing stuff all day.  The Yanks pregame has focused on him, and done a great job in paying their respects.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #304 on: August 14, 2007, 07:17:13 PM »

What a sad day Sad I wish i were able to see the pregame to see what they do.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #305 on: August 14, 2007, 09:55:26 PM »

Gagne finally has a so so inning. Tampa Bay hitters helped him out there swinging at everything though!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #306 on: August 14, 2007, 11:13:11 PM »

Gagne finally has a so so inning. Tampa Bay hitters helped him out there swinging at everything though!
Don't discount him TOO much.  He had some nasty stuff that inning.  Sure it was only Tampa Bay, but it was against the heart of their order (Carlos Pena/Delmon Young) and they're really not a slouch of a team offensively.  He made one mistake that Brendan Harris hammered for a double, but other than that he had zip on his fastball, a nasty change going, and even dropped the curve over after he got a feel for it.  You gotta start somewhere, no better time than the present.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #307 on: August 15, 2007, 12:56:20 AM »

Don't discount him TOO much.  He had some nasty stuff that inning.  Sure it was only Tampa Bay, but it was against the heart of their order (Carlos Pena/Delmon Young) and they're really not a slouch of a team offensively.  He made one mistake that Brendan Harris hammered for a double, but other than that he had zip on his fastball, a nasty change going, and even dropped the curve over after he got a feel for it.  You gotta start somewhere, no better time than the present.

Ok, I was going by what mlb gameday was showing. Some of those pitches they were swinging at a good several inches off the plate. Judging by that if the hitters had been more patient that could've been a bad inning for him. Tampa proved its pitching sucks though in the ninth Sad
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #308 on: August 15, 2007, 07:43:59 AM »

Don't discount him TOO much.? He had some nasty stuff that inning.? Sure it was only Tampa Bay, but it was against the heart of their order (Carlos Pena/Delmon Young) and they're really not a slouch of a team offensively.? He made one mistake that Brendan Harris hammered for a double, but other than that he had zip on his fastball, a nasty change going, and even dropped the curve over after he got a feel for it.? You gotta start somewhere, no better time than the present.

Ok, I was going by what mlb gameday was showing. Some of those pitches they were swinging at a good several inches off the plate. Judging by that if the hitters had been more patient that could've been a bad inning for him. Tampa proved its pitching sucks though in the ninth Sad
Yeah, I was impressed with what I saw.  I really haven't gotten to see him pitch since the trade.  I was out at a bar during his first blowup versus Baltimore so I really wasn't paying attention.  He looked like vintage Gagne last night as I didn't know what to expect from him.  Again, it's only one outing but it's a step in the right direction.  Plenty of season left to make up for those 2 BAD appearances.  If they're gonna hold onto their lead, he's gonna be a big reason why.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #309 on: August 17, 2007, 10:50:28 PM »

Wow Gagne implodes again. I'm glad we did not pick this guy up.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #310 on: August 17, 2007, 11:59:53 PM »

Still 5 games up, long ways to go.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #311 on: August 18, 2007, 12:03:37 AM »

Lets see how much longer that lasts with him helping us and not you.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #312 on: August 18, 2007, 11:06:08 AM »

Yeah I've gotta admit it's a little disconcerting.  I have still yet to actually see him implode personally.  The only time I actually watched him pitch he struck out the side.  The 3 times he's blown games I've been out at bars not paying too close attention to the game.  I'll take the blame.  I've just gotta watch the games when Eric pitches from now on.  He's certainly not helping himself out in the free agent market right now.  Still plenty of time to turn it around but with each bad outing I'm sure it's weighing on him and his confidence has got to be waning at this point.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #313 on: August 18, 2007, 07:24:22 PM »

Yeah I've gotta admit it's a little disconcerting.  I have still yet to actually see him implode personally.  The only time I actually watched him pitch he struck out the side.  The 3 times he's blown games I've been out at bars not paying too close attention to the game.  I'll take the blame.  I've just gotta watch the games when Eric pitches from now on.  He's certainly not helping himself out in the free agent market right now.  Still plenty of time to turn it around but with each bad outing I'm sure it's weighing on him and his confidence has got to be waning at this point.

Haha yeah maybe thats the key. You gotta watch when he's in the game and he'll do well.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #314 on: August 18, 2007, 11:25:35 PM »

Yeah I've gotta admit it's a little disconcerting.? I have still yet to actually see him implode personally.? The only time I actually watched him pitch he struck out the side.? The 3 times he's blown games I've been out at bars not paying too close attention to the game.? I'll take the blame.? I've just gotta watch the games when Eric pitches from now on.? He's certainly not helping himself out in the free agent market right now.? Still plenty of time to turn it around but with each bad outing I'm sure it's weighing on him and his confidence has got to be waning at this point.

Haha yeah maybe thats the key. You gotta watch when he's in the game and he'll do well.
I used to be crazy like that and all superstitious.  I'd have to sit in a certain seat, if my team started to struggle I'd have to switch seats or get up.  I had to wear certain clothes on gamedays.  It was pretty crazy.  I've pretty much gotten over that though, sort of, not quite as bad at least.  But if it takes me to watch intently for Eric Gagne to succeed then by golly I'm willing to help the man out.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #315 on: August 18, 2007, 11:32:42 PM »

I used to be crazy like that and all superstitious.  I'd have to sit in a certain seat, if my team started to struggle I'd have to switch seats or get up.  I had to wear certain clothes on gamedays.  It was pretty crazy.  I've pretty much gotten over that though, sort of, not quite as bad at least.  But if it takes me to watch intently for Eric Gagne to succeed then by golly I'm willing to help the man out.

I was the same way with my 1996 Yankees world series championship shirt. Starting the 98 playoffs if i wore the shirt watching one of the games they won. If i wasn't wearing it they lost. This held true until game 7 of the 01 series. God that one still hurts so bad.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #316 on: August 18, 2007, 11:53:05 PM »

Yeah I've gotta admit it's a little disconcerting.? I have still yet to actually see him implode personally.? The only time I actually watched him pitch he struck out the side.? The 3 times he's blown games I've been out at bars not paying too close attention to the game.? I'll take the blame.? I've just gotta watch the games when Eric pitches from now on.? He's certainly not helping himself out in the free agent market right now.? Still plenty of time to turn it around but with each bad outing I'm sure it's weighing on him and his confidence has got to be waning at this point.

I used to be crazy like that and all superstitious.? I'd have to sit in a certain seat, if my team started to struggle I'd have to switch seats or get up.? I had to wear certain clothes on gamedays.? It was pretty crazy.? I've pretty much gotten over that though, sort of, not quite as bad at least.? But if it takes me to watch intently for Eric Gagne to succeed then by golly I'm willing to help the man out.

I was the same way with my 1996 Yankees world series championship shirt. Starting the 98 playoffs if i wore the shirt watching one of the games they won. If i wasn't wearing it they lost. This held true until game 7 of the 01 series. God that one still hurts so bad.
Long live Luis Gonzalez.  Should've had the infield back.  You had quite a good run there though, can't complain too much.  Just like when my Patriots lost a crushing game to the Colts last year in the AFC Championship game.  I've enjoyed 3 Super Bowls in the last 7 years but that one still hurt like hell.  You never get pver tje sting of losing, winning only makes losing more painful.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #317 on: August 19, 2007, 01:58:35 AM »

Long live Luis Gonzalez.  Should've had the infield back.  You had quite a good run there though, can't complain too much.  Just like when my Patriots lost a crushing game to the Colts last year in the AFC Championship game.  I've enjoyed 3 Super Bowls in the last 7 years but that one still hurt like hell.  You never get pver tje sting of losing, winning only makes losing more painful.

Yeah i don't know why we had it in in that situation. Tie game you play back for the double play to get out of the inning. Jeter is where he's supposed to be in that situation and its at least one out easily. Yeah can't complain though 4 in 5 yrs but like you said it still hurts when you lose especially like that.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #318 on: August 19, 2007, 05:13:26 AM »

reyes is so damn exciting, hitting, steals, 63 runs over 90, trpiles 11, 10 something doubles amazing glove on the fiels

wright is doing awesome, batting like 310, 22 hr's, 80 runs scored,  high on base % 79 rbi, his glove is awesome, plus he has stolen 25 out of 28.. He just needs to get his throws under control.. The youth of the team is awesome.. Glavine has been pretty much solid all year.. 301 wins, many blown by the bullpen and lack of hitting..

THey now lead the braves n phillies by 4 and 5.5 games for first.. Now if only delgado beltran n alou can all play atonce and they can get chavez back.. ANyone see easly's ankle get injured last nigh OUCH..  Perez n maine are looking tired .. The bullpen is too shakey, stupid mota needs juice,. what a waste on showenweis... I hope they do it this year, they've been averaging 7 runs a game the last 7-10 games... Have won 5-6..
LETS GO METS..
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #319 on: August 20, 2007, 02:38:03 AM »

my yankees are only 4 games in back of Boston for AL East  Grin
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: