Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 10:33:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228491 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206168 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #280 on: August 01, 2007, 07:34:03 AM »

boston got gagne???

WOW.

that bullpen is deadly.

That one makes no sense to me, actually.

They've got Okajima in the setup roll, and Papelbon as their closer.

Why do they need Gagne?  As insurance in case Papelbon's arm "dies" again this year? I mean...I guess you could use him as your "7th inning guy", but....is that something they really need?  I agree with faldor...they needed a bat, not an arm.

Just don't get it...maybe a sox fan can explain it to me.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 07:37:09 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #281 on: August 01, 2007, 08:04:49 AM »

boston got gagne???

WOW.

that bullpen is deadly.

Why do they need Gagne?? As insurance in case Papelbon's arm "dies" again this year? I mean...I guess you could use him as your "7th inning guy", but....is that something they really need?? I agree with faldor...they needed a bat, not an arm.

Well, you make some good ponits.? On the surface it doesn't look like they really needed to make the deal.? And I still believe they really needed a bat more than a closer who's gonna serve as a setup man.? But, the deal does make sense and will help them out.? Both Okajima and Papelbon have been lights out this year, and Manny Delcarmen has come on nicely of late as a 7th inning guy.? But the Sox have been careful with Papelbon all year, trying not to pitch him on consecutive days or in multiple innings.? For that reason Okajima's workload has increased.? He has been used quite frequently.? The Japanese season is shorter than the MLB season and his high in IP over there was 54.2.? He's already at 49.2 with 2 full months to go, he's gonna far surpass 54.2.? So hopefully with Gagne they won't have to use him in every close game.? They can mix and match a little better, keep guys more rested.? It is a good deal, and a fair one.? Texas got some good chips but who knows if Gabbard can keep going the way he's been going.? He scuffled in his last start and he was never considered a top prospect.? I have a feeling once the league gets a better look at him he won't be quite as effective.? He could be a back end of the rotation starter, maybe a 3 at best, certainly not a front line guy.? David Murphy is a former #1 pick, a left-handed hitting OF.? They have 2 other high regarded left-handed hitting OF's at AAA, making him expendable.? And the other guy they traded was like 18 so who knows what he'll turn out to be.? If the Sox don't re-sign Gagne, which I doubt they will, they'll receive a compensatory draft pick and a sandwich pick.? So those 2 picks will help replace some of what they gave up.? Again, a good deal, I was just hoping they could've gotten a bat as well.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 08:12:04 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #282 on: August 02, 2007, 03:38:20 PM »

i went to yankee stadium last night. had a real good time. it was interesting to check out a stadium with so much history. the vibe in the stadium was awesome, as was the whole scene outside near all the bars. i never knew the fans in the bleachers did that "roll call" thing. that's pretty freakin cool.

i was pulling for stray-rod to hit #500, but it didn't happen.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #283 on: August 02, 2007, 03:43:21 PM »

i went to yankee stadium last night. had a real good time. it was interesting to check out a stadium with so much history. the vibe in the stadium was awesome, as was the whole scene outside near all the bars. i never knew the fans in the bleachers did that "roll call" thing. that's pretty freakin cool.

i was pulling for stray-rod to hit #500, but it didn't happen.

Oh yeah?  Fantastic, dude.  Where did you sit?  And is it true that the place reeks of urine?

Gonna go to Yankee Stadium next year, no matter what.
novemberparadise23
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #284 on: August 02, 2007, 04:27:30 PM »

^ Garry i belive you are thinking of shea stadium.

Yankee stadium is fantastic i go there a couple times a year for games. Ive been to about 5 or 6 stadiums and none of them can match the history of yankees stadium. If your a baseball fan you will love the atmosphere.

"life sucks, but in a really beautiful kind of way."
sandman
Legend

« Reply #285 on: August 03, 2007, 09:02:51 AM »

i sat in section 19, row C. they were decent seats - 2nd level, between 1st and the right field foul pole. nice view - i didn't feel too far from the action at all. they were $42 face, but i got them on e-bay a couple weeks ago for $25. i'm guessing deals are harder to come by now since the yanks are back in the thick of things, and stray-rod is going for 500.

the stadium seemed clean to me. i think they take better care of it than shea.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #286 on: August 04, 2007, 03:08:27 PM »

Alex Rodriguez hits his 500th career home-run.
[/size]

good article on A-Rod right here.

you guys think he'll be a Yankee at the start of next year?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #287 on: August 04, 2007, 05:10:22 PM »

Alex Rodriguez hits his 500th career home-run.
[/size]

good article on A-Rod right here.

you guys think he'll be a Yankee at the start of next year?
I would think with the year he's having he would stay a Yankee.  He finally seems fully acclimated to NYC, the fans finally appreciate him unconditionally.  BUT, it seem clear that he will opt out of his contract and become a free agent.  If it comes down to money the Yankees certainly are not afraid to open their wallets and I don't think they could be outbid.  BUT, they did trade for Betemit (a possible replacement for A-Rod) at the deadline.  I'm a Red Sox fan and many people in the Boston media are convinced that the Sox are going to make a serious run at him.  I have hated gAy-Rod ever since that fight with Varitek and then the pussy move knocking the ball out of Arroyo's glove in the LCS.  But I can't deny his talents.  He IS the best player in the game right now, will continue to be for the next couple years at least, the marketing possibilities are endless as he continues to hit HR's and near 600, 700.  If the Sox ended up getting him I'd have to learn to not hate him I guess.  It's happened before, I used to hate Jose Canseco and he joined the Sox.  I learned to live with it.  All things being equal though, I'd rather A-Rod go to the NL.  Re-join former manager Sweet Lou Pinella in Chicago.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #288 on: August 04, 2007, 07:37:19 PM »

I'm still not completely convinced he's going to opt out of it. I think he genuinely likes and wants to stay in new york. I think he opts out if he listens too much to his greedy agent and not to himself.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #289 on: August 04, 2007, 10:15:53 PM »

Yankees said though if he opts out, they're not going to resign him. I believe that was all over ESPN when the Yankees wanted to negotiate awhile ago.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #290 on: August 04, 2007, 10:36:05 PM »

I guess Bonds didn't want to let A-Rod have the spotlight.

Barry just hit 755 vs. Clay Hennsley.

Historic day for baseball.
Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #291 on: August 05, 2007, 12:59:57 AM »

I hope Barry Bonds chokes to death in his sleep tonight  rant
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #292 on: August 05, 2007, 04:04:44 PM »

? ?

Bonds was destined for the Hall of fame regardless of the juice, but he was not breaking this record without the juice. And for that, you should appreciate the likes of Hank Aaron all the more.

Not really a historic day in the true sense of the word
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #293 on: August 06, 2007, 07:44:30 AM »

Yankees said though if he opts out, they're not going to resign him. I believe that was all over ESPN when the Yankees wanted to negotiate awhile ago.

What the Yanks say, as a form of "negotiating in the press without negotiating", and what they'll do are vastly different. Smiley

I think A-rod will use the opt out as a bargaining chip to get the best offer on an extension he can get from NY, but I don't think he'll get to the point of using it.  I think it's likely he'll accept it.  I actually think them getting to the WS would be the only stumbling block in the process....because I think he has 9 days from the end of the WS to use his opt out (or some relatively short time period) and he's said he won't negotiate until the Yanks season is over.  Heck, the Yanks were willing to break their longstanding tradition of NOT negotiating during the year to get an extension done now (which I'm sure made Jorge and Mariano "happy").  What does that tell you about a) how much the yanks want to keep him and b) how much cash they're willing to throw at him.

I think it's about 70-30 that Arod will be a Yank next year.  But, if he IS a yank next year....I think we'll see Arod retire as a yank (or pretty close to it).  It will be that kind of unprecedented $$ for years move.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #294 on: August 06, 2007, 07:45:59 AM »

Bonds was destined for the Hall of fame regardless of the juice, but he was not breaking this record without the juice. And for that, you should appreciate the likes of Hank Aaron all the more.

Not really a historic day in the true sense of the word

A-rod's got the best chance of breaking Barry's (since it will be Barry's, eventually) record, right now.

I'm not the biggest Bonds fan, but it's interesting watching these two guys right now.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #295 on: August 13, 2007, 07:38:26 AM »

boston got gagne???

WOW.

that bullpen is deadly.

Why do they need Gagne?? As insurance in case Papelbon's arm "dies" again this year? I mean...I guess you could use him as your "7th inning guy", but....is that something they really need?? I agree with faldor...they needed a bat, not an arm.

Well, you make some good ponits.? On the surface it doesn't look like they really needed to make the deal.? And I still believe they really needed a bat more than a closer who's gonna serve as a setup man.? But, the deal does make sense and will help them out.? Both Okajima and Papelbon have been lights out this year, and Manny Delcarmen has come on nicely of late as a 7th inning guy.? But the Sox have been careful with Papelbon all year, trying not to pitch him on consecutive days or in multiple innings.? For that reason Okajima's workload has increased.? He has been used quite frequently.? The Japanese season is shorter than the MLB season and his high in IP over there was 54.2.? He's already at 49.2 with 2 full months to go, he's gonna far surpass 54.2.? So hopefully with Gagne they won't have to use him in every close game.? They can mix and match a little better, keep guys more rested.? It is a good deal, and a fair one.? Texas got some good chips but who knows if Gabbard can keep going the way he's been going.? He scuffled in his last start and he was never considered a top prospect.? I have a feeling once the league gets a better look at him he won't be quite as effective.? He could be a back end of the rotation starter, maybe a 3 at best, certainly not a front line guy.? David Murphy is a former #1 pick, a left-handed hitting OF.? They have 2 other high regarded left-handed hitting OF's at AAA, making him expendable.? And the other guy they traded was like 18 so who knows what he'll turn out to be.? If the Sox don't re-sign Gagne, which I doubt they will, they'll receive a compensatory draft pick and a sandwich pick.? So those 2 picks will help replace some of what they gave up.? Again, a good deal, I was just hoping they could've gotten a bat as well.

So, about that gagne trade?

He's not having a good time with Beantown.....

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #296 on: August 13, 2007, 08:07:09 AM »

boston got gagne???

WOW.

that bullpen is deadly.

Why do they need Gagne?  As insurance in case Papelbon's arm "dies" again this year? I mean...I guess you could use him as your "7th inning guy", but....is that something they really need?  I agree with faldor...they needed a bat, not an arm.

Well, you make some good ponits.  On the surface it doesn't look like they really needed to make the deal.  And I still believe they really needed a bat more than a closer who's gonna serve as a setup man.  But, the deal does make sense and will help them out.  Both Okajima and Papelbon have been lights out this year, and Manny Delcarmen has come on nicely of late as a 7th inning guy.  But the Sox have been careful with Papelbon all year, trying not to pitch him on consecutive days or in multiple innings.  For that reason Okajima's workload has increased.  He has been used quite frequently.  The Japanese season is shorter than the MLB season and his high in IP over there was 54.2.  He's already at 49.2 with 2 full months to go, he's gonna far surpass 54.2.  So hopefully with Gagne they won't have to use him in every close game.  They can mix and match a little better, keep guys more rested.  It is a good deal, and a fair one.  Texas got some good chips but who knows if Gabbard can keep going the way he's been going.  He scuffled in his last start and he was never considered a top prospect.  I have a feeling once the league gets a better look at him he won't be quite as effective.  He could be a back end of the rotation starter, maybe a 3 at best, certainly not a front line guy.  David Murphy is a former #1 pick, a left-handed hitting OF.  They have 2 other high regarded left-handed hitting OF's at AAA, making him expendable.  And the other guy they traded was like 18 so who knows what he'll turn out to be.  If the Sox don't re-sign Gagne, which I doubt they will, they'll receive a compensatory draft pick and a sandwich pick.  So those 2 picks will help replace some of what they gave up.  Again, a good deal, I was just hoping they could've gotten a bat as well.

I'm loving the trade! Best trade Boston has made in years!  rofl
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #297 on: August 13, 2007, 08:43:00 AM »

boston got gagne???

WOW.

that bullpen is deadly.

I'm loving the trade! Best trade Boston has made in years!? rofl
Give it some time.  It's only 2 games.  I'll take his career track record over one bad weekend.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #298 on: August 14, 2007, 07:48:12 AM »

Give it some time.  It's only 2 games.  I'll take his career track record over one bad weekend.

The thing is....the Yankess have done the same thing with pitching before...and been burned.  When you trade at the deadline, it doesn't matter a whit what his career stats are....you're looking for, usually, instant impact.

The guy, in 5 appearances (4 total innings), has given up 7 runs on 10 hits.  That's more than "a bad weekend".

Over his last 7 apperances...his ERA is over 20....for his 5 in Boston, it's a bit better: 15.75.

I'm not quite sure that's the "instant impact" the Sox were looking for.... Smiley

He MIGHT manage to turn it around, but compare what Gagne has done with what Chamberlain has done so far for the Yanks.  The Yanks were considering Gagne, too...but ultimately passed to bring up some young talent.

So far, that's worked in the Yanks favor, and to the Sox detriment....as the dwindling lead in the AL East shows.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 07:50:48 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #299 on: August 14, 2007, 08:11:58 AM »

Give it some time.? It's only 2 games.? I'll take his career track record over one bad weekend.

The thing is....the Yankess have done the same thing with pitching before...and been burned.? When you trade at the deadline, it doesn't matter a whit what his career stats are....you're looking for, usually, instant impact.

The guy, in 5 appearances (4 total innings), has given up 7 runs on 10 hits.? That's more than "a bad weekend".

Over his last 7 apperances...his ERA is over 20....for his 5 in Boston, it's a bit better: 15.75.

I'm not quite sure that's the "instant impact" the Sox were looking for.... Smiley

He MIGHT manage to turn it around, but compare what Gagne has done with what Chamberlain has done so far for the Yanks.? The Yanks were considering Gagne, too...but ultimately passed to bring up some young talent.

So far, that's worked in the Yanks favor, and to the Sox detriment....as the dwindling lead in the AL East shows.

Oh absolutely, no doubt about it.  But there's still a long way to go.  I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: