Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 12:34:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228492 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206253 times)
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2007, 10:29:59 PM »

Does anyone in America actually the All Star  game?
What a bore.

Second half questions:

can the Yanks come back to get  a playoff position?
Will George  fire  everyone?
Will Boston fold?
What  is wrong  with the Mets?
Will Atlanta  not  win the division for the second straight  year?
Is Randy Johnson done  forever?
Will Griffey make it  to 600 this  season?
how bout them Cubbies?
Will the White Sox  finish last  in the division and Guillen will be fired?

And  the list  goes on....
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #241 on: July 12, 2007, 11:44:46 PM »

Does anyone in America actually the All Star  game?
What a bore.

I watched most of it.  Cutting out the 45 minutes of pre-game bullshit (yes, including the Mays reach around) would help things along.

Second half questions:

can the Yanks come back to get  a playoff position?

I'd say no, but since they have a "scare" every year, I'd put my money on them making a good run at it.  Usually the scare isn't quite so large or so long...but if they play as capable they have a chance to make a good run.

Will George  fire  everyone?

Depends on answer above.  If they MISS the playoffs, heads will roll.  If they're the wildcard, and perform poorly in the playoffs, heads will roll.  To win the division, they'll have to be hot...too hot to do poorly in the playoffs.  Thus, heads will not roll. 

Will Boston fold?

See two answers above.  hihi

What  is wrong  with the Mets?

Only in NYC can being in first place at the break be a sign of something wrong. 

Will Atlanta  not  win the division for the second straight  year?

No, the Braves will not win the division.  I predict a freak injury involving Mrs. Jones and Chipper's zipper.  rofl

Is Randy Johnson done  forever?

I hope not, but I DO hope he doesn't do the Roger Clemens/Brett Favre cocktease, year after year.

Will Griffey make it  to 600 this  season?

If he isn't traded, it's a certainty.  It he is traded...well, hopefully not to Dodger Stadium!  I'm pulling for him, because he had a chance to be the all time home run king, at one point.  What sick fate it is that Bonds juices up and will get it, but Griffey's probably clean and has been so injury prone. 

how bout them Cubbies?

I'm a big Cubs fan, so I say this having watched most of their games this season.  IT'S ABOUT FUCKING TIME THEY STARTED PLAYING UP TO THEIR POTENTIAL!  Now, Soriano's slow start is no surprise...new players in Wrigley tend to struggle for a month or two (happens every spring), due to the cold, the wind (which blows IN more than out, contrary to popular belief), and the pressure of playing in front of at least 37,000 (usually more) on a daily basis.  Zambrano always starts slow, as well.  But he's on pace for 20, which is impressive considering his first month and a half.  And they cut that Milwaukee from 8.5 (9.5?) to 4.5 over two weeks.  Milwaukee's young, so they may struggle down the stretch.  God I hope so!

Will the White Sox  finish last  in the division and Guillen will be fired?

No and no.   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #242 on: July 13, 2007, 03:28:40 PM »

Would you like to have Mark Cuban as the owner of the Cubbies?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #243 on: July 13, 2007, 03:34:20 PM »

Would you like to have Mark Cuban as the owner of the Cubbies?

I'm not sure I would.  He's done well with Dallas, which was such an ignored franchise for so long, but that isn't the problem the Cubs have.  When the season is over, their attendance will probably have been around 97%.  That's pretty damned good.  I'm sure that, in terms of generating revenue, they're definitely in the top 5.  I know the Yanks are #1, but I can't think of a team that would definitely be ahead of the Cubs, after that.  The Mets aren't up there with the Yanks, St. Louis is too small a market, Dodgers fans show up in the third and leave in the seventh (loss of beer revenue  hihi)...Cubs might be #2 in terms of bringin' in the dough.  SOO, while he did well with Dallas, the Cubs are a completely different horse.  They have a championship problem, not a money or fan problem. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #244 on: July 14, 2007, 12:12:38 AM »

^ I don't really get the post above, but from what I do understand, it is wrong, based upon  incorrect information and a lack of logic.

I live in Dallas. Cuban turned the Mavs around completely. It was not  that they were  "ignored." The problem  was that they were  horrible, they were  losers, and they had a losing culture. Before Cuban, the  Mavs  won  14-15 games a year. Cuban brought a winning attitude, a "can-do" attitude, and he made Dallas one of the most  desirable places (for  players) and profitable  franchises  around. Cuban has  his  faults--the lawsuits  with Nelson is  one  example--but he is an avid  fan and enthusiastic as an owner; he brings a dedication to winning, and that is good. A lot of owners milk their franchises for money but don't really want to step up to win. Cuban wants to win. So, for anyone who is a Cub  fan or wants to see  committed owners in MLB, Cuban is a godsend.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #245 on: July 14, 2007, 12:48:39 AM »

^ I don't really get the post above, but from what I do understand, it is wrong, based upon  incorrect information and a lack of logic.

I live in Dallas. Cuban turned the Mavs around completely. It was not  that they were  "ignored." The problem  was that they were  horrible, they were  losers, and they had a losing culture. Before Cuban, the  Mavs  won  14-15 games a year. Cuban brought a winning attitude, a "can-do" attitude, and he made Dallas one of the most  desirable places (for  players) and profitable  franchises  around. Cuban has  his  faults--the lawsuits  with Nelson is  one  example--but he is an avid  fan and enthusiastic as an owner; he brings a dedication to winning, and that is good. A lot of owners milk their franchises for money but don't really want to step up to win. Cuban wants to win. So, for anyone who is a Cub  fan or wants to see  committed owners in MLB, Cuban is a godsend.

He asked me my opinion, and I gave it.  But good point!  As a Dallas resident, you're more than qualified to tell me who should own the National League baseball franchise in Chicago, for which I am a fan!   rant

Are the championship banners in Dallas neatly pressed?  Oh, that's right, Cuban hasn't brought any!  Which was my point (which, apparently, "lacks logic").  He's improved the team.  He's put asses in seats.  But attendance at Wrigley is great, and the prior ownership just paid out the ass during the off season for top free agents.  So what more is there to do that Cuban is any more qualified to do than any other potential owner?  He's good at getting teams to the playoffs, I suppose, though twice as many teams make the playoffs in the NBA as in MLB, so that would be tough to consistently replicate.   

I'm uncertain what part(s) of my post were "wrong" or based on "incorrect information." 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #246 on: July 15, 2007, 05:42:02 PM »

mets were struggling for a while - something like 14-21 in their last 35 before the break. they had some injury problems, but i think it was deeper than that. wagner said they "underachieved", they made some changes to the coaching staff, and cut franco. the coaching changes didn't make sense and were controversial cause it was willie's buddy that got the axe. clearly, it was a move to shake things up. time will tell. they don't look like the contender they were in may, but they are expecting pedro back in august, and could add another stud at the deadline (willis?).

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #247 on: July 19, 2007, 12:30:58 AM »

mets were struggling for a while - something like 14-21 in their last 35 before the break. they had some injury problems, but i think it was deeper than that. wagner said they "underachieved", they made some changes to the coaching staff, and cut franco. the coaching changes didn't make sense and were controversial cause it was willie's buddy that got the axe. clearly, it was a move to shake things up. time will tell. they don't look like the contender they were in may, but they are expecting pedro back in august, and could add another stud at the deadline (willis?).

Willis wont be dealt at the deadline, let alone to a team in the Marlins division.

My Yanks aren't too many off the pace. Hope they can atleast pull out the wild card, and just waiting in the wings for the Boston collapse Wink
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #248 on: July 19, 2007, 12:41:52 AM »

Willis wont be dealt at the deadline, let alone to a team in the Marlins division.

My Yanks aren't too many off the pace. Hope they can atleast pull out the wild card, and just waiting in the wings for the Boston collapse Wink

Getting closer only 7 now. We get to 4-5 before august the last two months are going to be very interesting.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2007, 01:06:31 AM »

While I tend to root against the Yanks once the playoffs start, I DO realize that it wouldn't be the same without them there.  I just get tired of Boston and NY...every year.  And every year it seems like a team is REALLY close to taking the wildcard away from the AL East, and then falls short the last week.

Of course, after a few years of playoff futility, I'd enjoy seeing the Yanks at least make the ALCS.  Seeing games played in Yankee Stadium is enjoyable.  The crowd is always good. 

My Cubs are doing well.  3.5 out of the division, 3.0 out of the wildcard.  They need to get to 10 over, though.  That's when you can get serious about your chances (unless you're last year's Cards).       

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #250 on: July 19, 2007, 07:34:03 AM »

7 out, 6 in the loss column (the tough ones to make up)

If memory serves me correctly, we were right about the same number back last year...right around the same time.  Now, that might not be a great predictor of what's gonna happen this year (Boston's injuries last year were freakish....and led to their utter collapse) but it at least gives one some hope.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
sandman
Legend

« Reply #251 on: July 19, 2007, 08:32:53 AM »

While I tend to root against the Yanks once the playoffs start, I DO realize that it wouldn't be the same without them there.? I just get tired of Boston and NY...every year.? And every year it seems like a team is REALLY close to taking the wildcard away from the AL East, and then falls short the last week.

Of course, after a few years of playoff futility, I'd enjoy seeing the Yanks at least make the ALCS.? Seeing games played in Yankee Stadium is enjoyable.? The crowd is always good.?

My Cubs are doing well.? 3.5 out of the division, 3.0 out of the wildcard.? They need to get to 10 over, though.? That's when you can get serious about your chances (unless you're last year's Cards).? ? ? ?

i agree with you 100% on the yanks. i work with a few red sox fans and it's funny to see them getting scared these days.  hihi

speaking of the yanks, i'm making my first trip ever to yankee stadium on wednesday, august 1. i'm really psyched for it. just got tix on e-bay for well under face. i'm sure tix will go up if they cut that lead down a little more.

and i really like peniella so i've kinda been pulling for the cubs as well. i love that they have been on a tear since his blowup in early june.

the mets are begging the phils or braves to take control of the NL east, but neither team is really stepping it up. talk about frustrating...phils were down a run in the 8th. the last 2 outs were made by burrell and nunez - both struck out looking. which is annoying, but the real problem was that neither one of them even swung at a pitch!!! they both just stared at 5 pitches, some of which were right down broad street. i almost kicked my TV. then i remembered eagles camp is only 8 days away.  ok

JMack
VIP

Hammerstein NYC 1988

« Reply #252 on: July 19, 2007, 09:25:54 AM »

? ? ?Being from NY and being that I went to the last 2 Yankee games, I can say that the Yanks really looked good and even w/o the scoring of 6 last night, they played great defense and pulled out a nice 2-1 win in the 10th the night before.? A-Rod is playing incredible in the field besides at the plate.? I think with some help in the bullpen, they will make a good run from here on in.
? ? ?The Red Sox better start playing because the Yanks are coming and the Indians are playing well and are in the Yanks rear view mirror too for the wild card if they don't take the division.
? ? ?The Mets seemed to be in a sloppy hitting funk, except for a few regulars that even if they're not hitting, they seemed to get on base.? The fielding is solid (Infield especially).? The out field could be better with less injuries.? The pitching will be better when Pedro returns.? I really like the trade rumors Griffey Jr for Milledge and Heilman?Pelfrey.? I'm not saying it will happen but I wouldn't mind it.? The Mets also need a real solid middle reliever or young starter.? Griffey Jr. will hit over 600? career home runs.? He seems to have a couple of more years to play especially if He were to play left field with days off with the Mets.
? ? ?The Cubs are playing real well and I think they're heading in the right direction with Pinella at the helm.? They're closer to being a perineal playoff team.
? ? ?Atlanta is playing well and have a good schedule ahead.
?
There's more to go but this post is getting a tad long.

"Your not a man until you've hunted man with Your BFFL SLCPUNK."  He's so dreamy.
http://www.thegnrsyndicate.com/
Misfits 138
Headliner

who came along for the ride???

« Reply #253 on: July 19, 2007, 11:50:16 PM »

i am really liking how the cubs are playing this year, i am a huge cub fan, and i used to live not too far from wrigley field. i can sense the team unity that just hasent really been there for a few years. and i can tell that these players want to win. and they try untill the end. this isnt like last years team that seemed to get a "its the 7th, and were down by 2 we give up" type of attitude. these guys are in it to win it. one thing we need to do is resign Zambrano asap!! and then from there just keep winning games, keep taking series and good things will come. the brewers are good, but they cant be good all the time. right now with the injuries it is gonna be hard but we have proven that we can play and we can win without the bigger guys. pinella is a perfect fit as our skipper and i think we will go to the playoffs this year. and i also believe that this definately is the year we go to the world series.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #254 on: July 20, 2007, 11:52:15 AM »

speaking of the yanks, i'm making my first trip ever to yankee stadium on wednesday, august 1. i'm really psyched for it. just got tix on e-bay for well under face. i'm sure tix will go up if they cut that lead down a little more.

I'm not sure HOW you're going (as in...what mode of transport you're taking) but just a word of warning:  Construction for the New Yankee Stadium is causing some major traffic headaches in that area, and a REAL shortage of parking.  If you can, take the subway and walk.  If you HAVE to drive, plan to get there VERY early...or you'll never find a place to park.

Have fun!

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #255 on: July 20, 2007, 12:00:04 PM »

I'm not sure HOW you're going (as in...what mode of transport you're taking) but just a word of warning:? Construction for the New Yankee Stadium is causing some major traffic headaches in that area, and a REAL shortage of parking.? If you can, take the subway and walk.? If you HAVE to drive, plan to get there VERY early...or you'll never find a place to park.

Have fun!

thanks, i'm really looking forward to it.  ok

and thanks for the heads up on traffic....i'm working in newark that week and will be taking trains from there.

Krispy Kreme
« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2007, 11:11:38 PM »

So, who is  going to be  moved before  the July 31 deadline? Who are  the buyers and who are  the sellers?

Rangers are selling Texeria and maybe Gagne, although he wants to  stay.

Royals are  shopping Dotel and the rest of the  roster ( Wink)

The Dodgers and Angels are rumored  to have  a lot of irons in the fire to acquire pitching and hitting.

COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #257 on: July 23, 2007, 02:29:42 PM »

So, who is? going to be? moved before? the July 31 deadline? Who are? the buyers and who are? the sellers?

Rangers are selling Texeria and maybe Gagne, although he wants to? stay.

Royals are? shopping Dotel and the rest of the? roster ( Wink)

The Dodgers and Angels are rumored? to have? a lot of irons in the fire to acquire pitching and hitting.

Something is telling me the Yankees and Mets are both going to be making big splashes in the next few days
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #258 on: July 23, 2007, 08:15:09 PM »

So, who is  going to be  moved before  the July 31 deadline? Who are  the buyers and who are  the sellers?

The Dodgers and Angels are rumored  to have  a lot of irons in the fire to acquire pitching and hitting.

Something is telling me the Yankees and Mets are both going to be making big splashes in the next few days

I disagree about the yankees. Cashman is not gonna trade away our pitching future
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #259 on: July 24, 2007, 07:47:17 AM »

The litmus test as to how active the Yanks were going to be at the trade deadline was how they played after the AS break...in other words, whether their season was over, or not, and whether they were going to start rebuilding or not.

By all accounts, so far, they've played themselves right back into the playoff hunt, so far.  Now, granted, they don't play a team with a record over .500 until early August, when they play Cleveland (which is shaping up to be a HUGE series)....but they've won 9 of 12 over their past 3 series, and got a good start in KC last night.  With Boston and Cleveland beating each other up this week, the Yanks have a nice opportunity to make up some MORE ground.

Given that...I don't think you'll see much movement.  There's just no reason to.  I'm not sure they could really upgrade their rotation (based on what's out there....unless the Marlins decide to move Dontrelle...which they say they're not), Philips is doing fine at 1st base, they just picked up a better defensive catcher to back up Posada....so IF they're making a run...I don't see much they need.  They only would REALLY need to trade if they were going to embark on a rebuilding firesale.  And given their position, there's no reason to do that.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: