Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 04:29:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228492 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206432 times)
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #160 on: June 01, 2007, 07:36:24 AM »

pilferk - your analysis makes sense, and i agree with torre's decision.

but i'm guessing if the yankees were within striking distance of the red sox, clemens would be pitching this weekend. at the very least, it would have given torre more of a reason to consider it.

In early June?  I don't think it would matter if they were 2 games out...you stick with your 1 -3 (of course, if they were 3 games out, they're 1 - 3 would likely be doing much better, so it's tough to play that "what if" card).  In late August?  Maybe so, but some of the same issues come up, and then you're jockying (assuming you're in playoff contention) to make sure your rotation ends the season set up right.   But it's not late August, or the playoffs...I honestly don't think, at this stage of the game, the defecit matters as much as positioning your pitchers so that you can consistently win.

I see what you are saying, but if your rotation is setup properly... Mike Mussina isn't in the 1-3 spots. I'd look at Pettitte, Wang, Clemens, Mussina, and (who ever is healthy)
At his point it is early to be looking at games out of first and games out of the Wild Card, but it is important to keep an eye on games remaining in regular season series with division and league opponents... nothing makes up more games over the course of the season than head to head games. Right now they are down 6-3 in the season series with the Sox.

Except to get your rotation to be what you're suggesting, above, you would have to completely screw with their days on.....throwing in 2 or 3 "band-aid starters" to bridge gaps, which means praying you get good starts from the "band aids" to try to shuffle the rotation.  Moving Pettitte fom 3 to 1 and Mussina from 2 to 3 isn't a matter of just doing it...there's games to be played in the middle of that process.  You can't just stop things to shuffle and shoehorn.

They can't afford to do that right now.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #161 on: June 01, 2007, 07:44:50 AM »

I absolutely HATE, DESPISE Gay-Rod.  Ever since swiping the ball out of Arroyo's glove like a little bitch, and then whining to the umpire like he did nothing wrong.  Then blatantly throwing a shoulder at Pedroia AFTER his slide was completed, and then last night.  He's a punk, plain and simple.  One of the most hated guys in the league this side of Barry Bonds.  He could've very easily said "MINE" last night which is the same as "I got it".  Regardless, that was bushleague.  They were gonna win the game anyway so I'm not gonna say it had an impact on the outcome, he's just a ferry.  I don't think he ever pulled this stuff in Texas or Seattle, at least you never heard about it.  New York has NOT been a good move for him.

If little league players can catch fly balls with kids screaming at them/around them....I would think a major leaguer could too.  Third baseman, first baseman, and catchers get heckled all the time when chasing pop ups near the opponents dugouts.  They just ignore them.  I stand by "funny as fuck".

You can clearly see, on the closeup, he didn't yell "mine"  It was a one syllable word (sound), with no hard consonant starting it (because you can see his mouth wide open when he yells).  He might not have yelled "HA"...maybe he yelled "HEY", or something like that, but....still.  It's not against the rules.  It's not "poor sportsmanship".  It's doing that little something extra to get your team a W, like screening off a throw or sliding hard into 2nd to break up a double play.

Any player as good as A-Rod is, on another team, is bound to inspire hatred.  And yet, if he opts out at the end of this year.....you'll be praying your team picks him up.  That simple, really.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 09:41:58 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #162 on: June 01, 2007, 08:10:04 AM »

I absolutely HATE, DESPISE Gay-Rod.  Ever since swiping the ball out of Arroyo's glove like a little bitch, and then whining to the umpire like he did nothing wrong.  Then blatantly throwing a shoulder at Pedroia AFTER his slide was completed, and then last night.  He's a punk, plain and simple.  One of the most hated guys in the league this side of Barry Bonds.  He could've very easily said "MINE" last night which is the same as "I got it".  Regardless, that was bushleague.  They were gonna win the game anyway so I'm not gonna say it had an impact on the outcome, he's just a ferry.  I don't think he ever pulled this stuff in Texas or Seattle, at least you never heard about it.  New York has NOT been a good move for him.

If little league players can catch fly balls with kids screaming at them/around them....I would think a major leaguer could too.  Third baseman, first baseman, and catchers get heckled all the time when chasing pop ups near the opponents dugouts.  They just ignore them.  It stand by "funny as fuck".

You can clearly see, on the closeup, he didn't yell "mine"  It was a one syllable word (sound), with no hard consonant starting it (because you can see his mouth wide open when he yells).  He might not have yelled "HA"...maybe he yelled "HEY", or something like that, but....still.  It's not against the rules.  It's not "poor sportsmanship".  It's doing that little something extra to get your team a W, like screening off a throw or sliding hard into 2nd to break up a double play.

Any player as good as A-Rod is, on another team, is bound to inspire hatred.  And yet, if he opts out at the end of this year.....you'll be praying your team picks him up.  That simple, really.

Well said!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2007, 08:13:23 AM »

I'm saying that you are only 1/3 of the way thru a 162 game season and MAy 31st is too early to count anyone (nevermind the Yankee's) out of the division lead in October. I'd focus on getting as many head to head victories against the AL East as possible. The Sox could very easily play sub .500 ball the rest of the way and the Yankees catch fire. Trust me stranger things have happened up here, I can't count the Yanks out before they are officially eliminated from the division crown.

i don't disagree with your reasoning either.

pilferk - you said clemens was brought in as the #4 guy. what does that mean exactly? who said that? there's still some things about baseball that i don't understand. at mid-season, what's the significance of someone being named a #3 vs a #4?

and for the record, i would not want the phillies to sign A-Rod. i would be very disappointed. your team (the yanks) can afford anyone, so you don't need to get as much value for each dollar spent. the ROI for each player isn't as important. the phils (and most teams) need to consider value. and A-Rod isn't worth 20% of a team's payroll. especially considering how he disappears in october.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #164 on: June 01, 2007, 08:30:37 AM »

It's doing that little something extra to get your team a W, like screening off a throw or sliding hard into 2nd to break up a double play.

Any player as good as A-Rod is, on another team, is bound to inspire hatred.? And yet, if he opts out at the end of this year.....you'll be praying your team picks him up.? That simple, really.

Like the slide into second against the Sox where he completed the slide then lept off the bag and threw an elbow into Pedroia's groin?

As far as inspriring hatred, the last three years are the only times I can remeber this kind of hatred directed towards him... and the uniform has nothing to do with those feeling towards him. BUT I do think that uniform is the cause of his "despiration" to make things happen. They picked up "The Best" player in Baseball and he hasn't done anything to make them better, I'd be desperate if I were him too.

Hey I'd love to see him in a Sox uniform, and frankly thought we had him 3 years ago... I have a feeling this would go away in another environment, probably not Boston though (same pressure), so I'd be torn about the pickup.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #165 on: June 01, 2007, 09:22:31 AM »

pilferk - you said clemens was brought in as the #4 guy. what does that mean exactly? who said that? there's still some things about baseball that i don't understand. at mid-season, what's the significance of someone being named a #3 vs a #4?

and for the record, i would not want the phillies to sign A-Rod. i would be very disappointed. your team (the yanks) can afford anyone, so you don't need to get as much value for each dollar spent. the ROI for each player isn't as important. the phils (and most teams) need to consider value. and A-Rod isn't worth 20% of a team's payroll. especially considering how he disappears in october.

Honestly, it doesn't mean much...it's simply the spot you fill in the roation for most of the season.  It's much more important come playoff time.  The thing is, though, once you've set that rotation, the pitchers get into a routine...and most like to pitch every 5th day (earlier and your arms is still tired, so you have no velocity and longer and you're too strong and control suffers).  Their spot is their spot and staying in it usually helps them get into a groove (something the Yanks pitchers certainly need).  My point was (and the Torre and Cashman both implied it) there was never any intention, on their part, to "shuffle" the routine/current rotation, and screw up their "core" rotation to bring in Clemens.  The "benefit" of using him sooner, I assume, wasn't enough to justify screwing with the other guys routine enough to get the rotation Coma suggested (which, FYI, I agree would probably be their best bet.....if they were starting the season today).

Since your #1 - 4 guys tend to pitch more regularly than your #5 (who you usually only use during weeks with no off day), that's where you put Clemens...especially since it's been (for 2 years or so) where the Yanks have been weakest.   People posting here are implying the order has significance as far as ability.  That's not always the case.  Often, your Ace is #1, largely because you want him there at the end of the season/ during the playoffs...but not always (witness the Red Sox, who, I think, have Shill in the #1 hole and I don't think he's their ace this year...and neither do the numbers).  Beyond that, it's about keeping the hitters off balance.  You're not likely to pitch 2 hard throwing power pitchers, especially if they have similar delivery, two days straight.  So, really, to get Clemens into the top 3, you'd have to do what Coma suggests for a rotation to get the best use of everyone, and keep the hitters off balance.  Maybe when the all-star break hits, they can do that sort of "reboot".  But short of that.....again, it's about doing what is going to get Yankees wins the fastest and most consistently.

If the Phillies could pay Arod, and you were only assured of the types of numbers he's putting up RIGHT NOW, you're saying you wouldn't want him on your team?  And all you'd lose is your 3rd baseman or shortstop...everybody else stays put?  Sorry, I don't believe it.   And, more importantly, I KNOW no front office in the league would feel that way.  His "bad" seasons have been better than 85%+ of the rest of the league.

While he may disappear in October....he has at least once GOTTEN the Yanks to October (2 years ago), was a stretch contributor last year post-Boston Massacre 2, and this year they're something like 11-24 when Arod doesn't hit a home run...and 11-5 when he does.  Sounds like he might be keeping them somewhat afloat this year, too.  There are 2 seasons in MLB.  You need to win BOTH of them to win a WS.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 09:48:44 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #166 on: June 01, 2007, 09:39:14 AM »

Like the slide into second against the Sox where he completed the slide then lept off the bag and threw an elbow into Pedroia's groin?

As far as inspriring hatred, the last three years are the only times I can remeber this kind of hatred directed towards him... and the uniform has nothing to do with those feeling towards him. BUT I do think that uniform is the cause of his "despiration" to make things happen. They picked up "The Best" player in Baseball and he hasn't done anything to make them better, I'd be desperate if I were him too.

Hey I'd love to see him in a Sox uniform, and frankly thought we had him 3 years ago... I have a feeling this would go away in another environment, probably not Boston though (same pressure), so I'd be torn about the pickup.

The Pedrio slide was against the rules (you're not supposed to initiate contact after the slide).  Yelling as you run behind someone on your way to a base isn't.

When you're in NYC, you're a lightening rod (no pun intended).  When you earn the type of money he does, you're a lightening rod.  When you go through the high profile free agency process in the manner that he did, everyone hates you (small market because they wish they could afford you, big market because you didn't choose their team). Ditto when you go through the high profile trade process he then went through. Everybody who's not a Yanks fan, HATES the Yanks.  They're the evil empire.  Wrap all that up, and you have the reasoning behind much of the hate.  Yes, he's done some boneheaded things on the field (the "swipe" and the "elbow", for example).  But this was not one of them.  He's not desperate.  He has a drive to win.  I don't think that's a bad thing....at least there's fire in his belly..something more of the Yanks need right now.  Maybe sometimes he needs to temper that drive with more discretion (again, not this time)...sure...but I'd rather he have the drive and have to talk to him about how to "use" it than have him not have the drive at all.

Hasn't done anything to make them better?  Did you watch them in '05?  He basically won them the division and carried them into the playoffs?  This year? In games he doesn't hit a home run, they're like a .333 team?  Sure sounds like he's making them better.  I don't think anyone can honestly, objectively look at this lineup and say Arod doesn't make it better, or would be better without him in it.  That's just crazy.

Now, if you mean: Hasn't improved the way they end the season, fair enough.  But I think trying to place all that at Arods feet is hogwash.  Their rotation/pitching has easily had as much to do with that (Thanks Randy!!) than anything Arods bat has (or hasn't) done in the post season.  If you look at the Yanks lineup, top to bottom, he's not the only bat that's gone cold...but he's the only one who gets bagged on.  Why, do you think?  See "lightning rod paragraph", above.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 09:40:46 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #167 on: June 01, 2007, 10:08:48 AM »

The Pedrio slide was against the rules (you're not supposed to initiate contact after the slide).? Yelling as you run behind someone on your way to a base isn't.

When you're in NYC, you're a lightening rod (no pun intended).? When you earn the type of money he does, you're a lightening rod.? When you go through the high profile free agency process in the manner that he did, everyone hates you (small market because they wish they could afford you, big market because you didn't choose their team). Ditto when you go through the high profile trade process he then went through. Everybody who's not a Yanks fan, HATES the Yanks.? They're the evil empire.? Wrap all that up, and you have the reasoning behind much of the hate.? Yes, he's done some boneheaded things on the field (the "swipe" and the "elbow", for example).? But this was not one of them.? He's not desperate.? He has a drive to win.? I don't think that's a bad thing....at least there's fire in his belly..something more of the Yanks need right now.? Maybe sometimes he needs to temper that drive with more discretion (again, not this time)...sure...but I'd rather he have the drive and have to talk to him about how to "use" it than have him not have the drive at all.

Hasn't done anything to make them better?? Did you watch them in '05?? He basically won them the division and carried them into the playoffs?? This year? In games he doesn't hit a home run, they're like a .333 team?? Sure sounds like he's making them better.? I don't think anyone can honestly, objectively look at this lineup and say Arod doesn't make it better, or would be better without him in it.? That's just crazy.

Now, if you mean: Hasn't improved the way they end the season, fair enough.? But I think trying to place all that at Arods feet is hogwash.? Their rotation/pitching has easily had as much to do with that (Thanks Randy!!) than anything Arods bat has (or hasn't) done in the post season.? If you look at the Yanks lineup, top to bottom, he's not the only bat that's gone cold...but he's the only one who gets bagged on.? Why, do you think?? See "lightning rod paragraph", above.

I understand the lightning rod comment, because if there is one MLB city that compares it's Boston. I think my point may have come across wrong. That was a sorry attempt on my part to defend his "desperate" actions (while yelling behind a fielder isn't illegal, it is pretty cheap if you intention was to make the 3rd basemen think he was being called off (which is the general concensous)). Obviously a player that puts up the numbers he does is helping a team, you were right. My point was in the three years that he's been in there, he wasn't there in October. He could hit .400 with 70 HR's and 200 RBI's and if he fell on his face in October (especially playing 20 feet from Jeter (Mr. Clutch) night after night) those numbers would be forgoten by most of NY. Unless he wins them a Championship he will never be a "Yankee," and that must be hard to deal with day after day.

As I said in an earlier Yankee post, I don't think ARod is the reason why they haven't won since 2000, It's a string of bad personel decisions.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #168 on: June 01, 2007, 11:09:47 AM »

I understand the lightning rod comment, because if there is one MLB city that compares it's Boston.

You know, I appreciate that Boston fans think their "frenzy" compares to that of the Yanks, but...I've seen both.  While Boston might trump every other market in MLB in that respect, the NY market, concerning the Yanks especially, makes Boston look like KC.  I think, perhaps, the AMOUNT of press coverage might be close to equal, but the press directed at NY (mostly from NY outlets) is MUCH more brutal.  Boston has a love/love relationship with every team they have.  The NY relationship is more love/hate.

I think my point may have come across wrong. That was a sorry attempt on my part to defend his "desperate" actions (while yelling behind a fielder isn't illegal, it is pretty cheap if you intention was to make the 3rd basemen think he was being called off (which is the general concensous)).

His intent (he says) was to distract the fielder.  Not make them think he was calling for the ball.  He wanted him to lose focus or drop the ball, not think someone was calling for it.  And, FYI, from most of the sports reports I've read, that have actually looked at the tape, the consensus is THAT'S what he was doing. Trying to startle or distract the fielder.  Again, I suspect you don't like it more because it was Arod doing it than because you feel real outrage at what was done.....

Again, it wasn't desperate, nor was it illegal.  If you dislike it, I expect you to take issue with every opposing dugout when they start trying to do the same thing to first baseman, third baseman, and catchers chasing a foul pop up....or a catcher chattering behind his mask to destract the hitter.....or the first baseman chattering to a runner to distract him from the pickoff move coming.  But you won't....because it's part of the game.  It's not against the rules, it's something that goes on pretty much from the very begining of organized baseball in one form or another (it just doesn't usually work past pee wee ball).  This is like stealing home base.  It works early on in organized baseball because the pitchers throw slower than the batters run.  But once you hit college and the minors...people stop doing it.  So you actually gain an advantage trying it a bit later on, because the other team is just not expecting you to do it.   I think the "characterization" of THIS event is being made more because of the player, than the play.

Obviously a player that puts up the numbers he does is helping a team, you were right. My point was in the three years that he's been in there, he wasn't there in October. He could hit .400 with 70 HR's and 200 RBI's and if he fell on his face in October (especially playing 20 feet from Jeter (Mr. Clutch) night after night) those numbers would be forgoten by most of NY. Unless he wins them a Championship he will never be a "Yankee," and that must be hard to deal with day after day.

As I said in an earlier Yankee post, I don't think ARod is the reason why they haven't won since 2000, It's a string of bad personel decisions.

Don Mattingly never, ever won a WS.  I don't think you could find another player alive today who any Yanks fan would define as more of a Yankee.  Now, I'm not saying that Arod is going to be Mr. Donny Baseball, but it's not like you can point and say "You have to win championships to be a Yankee", either.

As for most NYer's...unless your name is Derek Jeter....they'll find a reason, at some point. to boo you or heckle you or generally piss on you.  It's part and parcel of playing for that organization.  Amazing pressure from the fans vs amazing money and opportunity for success.  I think, perhaps, last year Arod was really coming to terms with that.  This year...from the looks of things...he's not really caving to the pressure you're talking about.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 11:15:38 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #169 on: June 01, 2007, 11:47:14 AM »

You know, I appreciate that Boston fans think their "frenzy" compares to that of the Yanks, but...I've seen both.? While Boston might trump every other market in MLB in that respect, the NY market, concerning the Yanks especially, makes Boston look like KC.? I think, perhaps, the AMOUNT of press coverage might be close to equal, but the press directed at NY (mostly from NY outlets) is MUCH more brutal.? Boston has a love/love relationship with every team they have.? The NY relationship is more love/hate.

Like I said, it the only city that close to the scrutiny of NY, I never said same level, but I wouldn't make it out to be as large a gap as you do though.

His intent (he says) was to distract the fielder.? Not make them think he was calling for the ball.? He wanted him to lose focus or drop the ball, not think someone was calling for it.? And, FYI, from most of the sports reports I've read, that have actually looked at the tape, the consensus is THAT'S what he was doing. Trying to startle or distract the fielder.? Again, I suspect you don't like it more because it was Arod doing it than because you feel real outrage at what was done.....

Again, it wasn't desperate, nor was it illegal.? If you dislike it, I expect you to take issue with every opposing dugout when they start trying to do the same thing to first baseman, third baseman, and catchers chasing a foul pop up....or a catcher chattering behind his mask to destract the hitter.....or the first baseman chattering to a runner to distract him from the pickoff move coming.? But you won't....because it's part of the game.? It's not against the rules, it's something that goes on pretty much from the very begining of organized baseball in one form or another (it just doesn't usually work past pee wee ball).? This is like stealing home base.? It works early on in organized baseball because the pitchers throw slower than the batters run.? But once you hit college and the minors...people stop doing it.? So you actually gain an advantage trying it a bit later on, because the other team is just not expecting you to do it.? ?I think the "characterization" of THIS event is being made more because of the player, than the play.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/01/sports/baseball/01arod.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

It's not as black and white as you say...http://youtube.com/watch?v=9hYZA_s_E8M... I see "Mine"

Don Mattingly never, ever won a WS.? I don't think you could find another player alive today who any Yanks fan would define as more of a Yankee.? Now, I'm not saying that Arod is going to be Mr. Donny Baseball, but it's not like you can point and say "You have to win championships to be a Yankee", either.

? As for most NYer's...unless your name is Derek Jeter....they'll find a reason, at some point. to boo you or heckle you or generally piss on you.? It's part and parcel of playing for that organization.? Amazing pressure from the fans vs amazing money and opportunity for success.? I think, perhaps, last year Arod was really coming to terms with that.? This year...from the looks of things...he's not really caving to the pressure you're talking about.

The pressure never seems to quite get to him durring the season (at least not at the plate), if he has gotten corfortable with anything in the last 3 years it's 3rd base. We'll see how the pressure mounts if they hit October this year.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #170 on: June 01, 2007, 12:43:02 PM »

Like I said, it the only city that close to the scrutiny of NY, I never said same level, but I wouldn't make it out to be as large a gap as you do though.

No Boston fan would....but it is.

I suspect you see it because it's what you want to see.  But watch his actual mouth and chest.  There's no MMMMM sound being made there. No tightening and curling of the lips to make that sound.  There's also no "NNNN" sound in there, which would predicate a closing of the mouth, closing of the teeth, and then a reopening to get out the "eh".   Just one big open with a close at the end. I saw it live (meaning the upclose Yes 3rd base camera replay when they showed it), in high def, and rewound it over and over again (as if the analysts didn't do it enough). There just can't be, unless the guy is a ventriloquist and can make sounds without moving his mouth (and foil lip readers), any way he said mine. By the time there's breath taken and expelled to make a sound, his mouth is wide open.  If you choose to believe otherwise...well, that's your choice.  But it's a VERY analyzed piece of tape, I haven't heard a single analyst say that Arod is "lying" (at least not one outside of Toronto).  In addition, more reports are coming (and you can see some mention of it in the times piece) that Arod does this all the time....it just never works.  Given that, I think we'd have LOTS more reports if what he was saying was "mine".

Clark doesn't play 3rd base much. This is his first game in '07.  He heard "something" and assumed he was being called off...then got embarrassed so said he heard "mine".  I think it's a pretty easy scenario to imagine when you're a guy who's mistake could cost you playing time with the club.

Add to that the fact Larry Bowa HEARD him say "Hey Hey" (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/31/sports/baseball/31pins.html?fta=y) and I think we can assume that's what he said.  Bowa's not going to lie....he'd just play stupid.

As for the times article, it pretty much says exactly what I did...and doesn't offer any opinion, simply an explanation of what both sides say happened,and offering differing opinions from other sources.

"But White Sox Manager Ozzie Guill?n, a former shortstop, said that it happened all the time. ?It?s the first time it worked at the big-league level,? he said."

"Torre, Rodriguez and others said that such attempts to break the concentration of fielders, if not fool them completely, were common, at least in foul territory.

?When a catcher comes over to the opposing dugout, everybody yells, ?I got it. I got it,? ? Torre said.

There is little doubt that the play has been scrutinized because it involved Rodriguez, always a magnet for controversy who has been accused of schoolyard antics before.

?I think it?s more because it?s A-Rod than anything else,? said Fernando Vi?a, who spent 12 years mostly as a second baseman and is now a baseball analyst for ESPN. He said he did not think that Wednesday?s play was a dirty one. "

The pressure never seems to quite get to him durring the season (at least not at the plate), if he has gotten corfortable with anything in the last 3 years it's 3rd base. We'll see how the pressure mounts if they hit October this year.

Again, 2 seasons.  If he manages to help them win the first.....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 01:07:12 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #171 on: June 01, 2007, 02:06:51 PM »

If the Phillies could pay Arod, and you were only assured of the types of numbers he's putting up RIGHT NOW, you're saying you wouldn't want him on your team?? And all you'd lose is your 3rd baseman or shortstop...everybody else stays put?? Sorry, I don't believe it.? ?And, more importantly, I KNOW no front office in the league would feel that way.? His "bad" seasons have been better than 85%+ of the rest of the league.

While he may disappear in October....he has at least once GOTTEN the Yanks to October (2 years ago), was a stretch contributor last year post-Boston Massacre 2, and this year they're something like 11-24 when Arod doesn't hit a home run...and 11-5 when he does.? Sounds like he might be keeping them somewhat afloat this year, too.? There are 2 seasons in MLB.? You need to win BOTH of them to win a WS.

those are some major IF's, not to mention a completely different scenario from what i said. do you follow the NFL? if so, you understand how overpaying someone screws your team. the phils basically have a cap of $100M. overpaying A-Rod, or anyone else, would cripple them.

NY sports teams get scrutinized more by the media because of the high volume of media outlets. and those outlets have pressure to be different and controversial.

if you're talking fans, that's a whole other story. cause there are plenty of fans that are more die-hard/brutal/demanding than NY fans.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #172 on: June 01, 2007, 06:01:55 PM »

those are some major IF's, not to mention a completely different scenario from what i said. do you follow the NFL? if so, you understand how overpaying someone screws your team. the phils basically have a cap of $100M. overpaying A-Rod, or anyone else, would cripple them.

NY sports teams get scrutinized more by the media because of the high volume of media outlets. and those outlets have pressure to be different and controversial.

if you're talking fans, that's a whole other story. cause there are plenty of fans that are more die-hard/brutal/demanding than NY fans.
'
But that's the point...you're talking money, not talent.  People want him on their team for his talent......and are "jealous" (for lack of a better term) of his talent being on another team...not of his paycheck being PAID by another team.  See what I mean.

No, I'm strictly talking media coverage.  There are plenty of equally (or more) rabid fanbases in both baseball and other sports.

Together again,
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #173 on: June 01, 2007, 10:24:33 PM »

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2890628&type=story

BOSTON -- Even Joe Torre says Alex Rodriguez was out of line.
The New York Yankees manager concluded A-Rod shouldn't have distracted a Toronto fielder this week during a popup, joining a chorus of baseball people who said the two-time AL MVP broke the sport's unwritten code.
"He may have been excited about the fact that we were leading the ballgame," Torre said before his team's series opener at Boston. "It was probably inappropriate to do it at the time he did it, but you can't change it, unfortunately."
The play occurred in the ninth inning of New York's 10-5 win at Toronto on Wednesday night.
With the Yankees leading 7-5, Rodriguez was on first base and ran hard when Jorge Posada popped up. As he ran near third baseman Howie Clark, Rodriguez said something -- 'Hah!' according to Rodriguez, 'Mine,' according to Clark. The ball dropped for a run-scoring single.
He may have been excited about the fact that we were leading the ballgame. It was probably inappropriate to do it at the time he did it, but you can't change it, unfortunately. 
Yankees manager Joe Torre
When the game ended, many Toronto players stayed on the bench, staring at Rodriguez and New York players.
"They were angry," Torre said. "Oh, there's no question. I can't say I blame them, but what are you going to do about it? What's happened has happened."
Torre said he spoke with Rodriguez after the game.
"It's probably something he shouldn't have done," Torre said. "I don't sense he's going to do it again."
sandman
Legend

« Reply #174 on: June 03, 2007, 08:30:22 AM »

"I don't sense he's going to do it again."

i'd love to have heard that conversation.  hihi

sandman
Legend

« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2007, 10:19:51 PM »

i love bobby abreu!  rofl

and people wondered why philly fans were so happy to get rid of such a "great" player. it's so satisfying to see his lack of defensive skills and lack of hustle on display at the national level.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2007, 11:04:56 PM »

That is one of the worst misplays i've ever seen.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #177 on: June 04, 2007, 08:16:07 AM »

That is one of the worst misplays i've ever seen.

It was bad, but..well, then he robbed Ortiz of a hit in the 9th.

A-rod just earned at least a couple more of those pinstripes last night.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2007, 08:19:50 AM »

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2890628&type=story

BOSTON -- Even Joe Torre says Alex Rodriguez was out of line.
The New York Yankees manager concluded A-Rod shouldn't have distracted a Toronto fielder this week during a popup, joining a chorus of baseball people who said the two-time AL MVP broke the sport's unwritten code.
"He may have been excited about the fact that we were leading the ballgame," Torre said before his team's series opener at Boston. "It was probably inappropriate to do it at the time he did it, but you can't change it, unfortunately."
The play occurred in the ninth inning of New York's 10-5 win at Toronto on Wednesday night.
With the Yankees leading 7-5, Rodriguez was on first base and ran hard when Jorge Posada popped up. As he ran near third baseman Howie Clark, Rodriguez said something -- 'Hah!' according to Rodriguez, 'Mine,' according to Clark. The ball dropped for a run-scoring single.
He may have been excited about the fact that we were leading the ballgame. It was probably inappropriate to do it at the time he did it, but you can't change it, unfortunately. 
Yankees manager Joe Torre
When the game ended, many Toronto players stayed on the bench, staring at Rodriguez and New York players.
"They were angry," Torre said. "Oh, there's no question. I can't say I blame them, but what are you going to do about it? What's happened has happened."
Torre said he spoke with Rodriguez after the game.
"It's probably something he shouldn't have done," Torre said. "I don't sense he's going to do it again."

Odd that you'd actually pick this article....because before the game on Saturday Joe held a PC JUST to let everyone know that the "headlines" got it wrong.  He wasn't taking him to task, he wasn't bagging on what A-rod did, and he wasn't telling him to "shut up".  He was simply offering HIS opinion.  One I, and a whole host of others (witness the commentary from the national media during the Fox and ESPN broadcasts) disagree with.

And while Joe said exactly what I'd expect a dimplomatic manager who has to face a team quite a few more times this season would say, others disagree.

And how anyone can take A-rod to task over yelling "HEY", while giving Lowell a pass on his "tackle" of Cano, is beyond me (and I'm not specifically talking about those here......though I'd like to hear comments on THAT play).  It made A-rod's elbow to Pedrio look like a love tap...and was just as "out of the play".
« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 08:21:47 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2007, 08:42:41 AM »

abreu screwed up saturday night as well. luckily for him, his teammates bailed him out last night. i know philly fans are tough on players, but at some point the yankee faithful will lose patience with his lack of effort on the defensive side.

as for the lowell hit on cano....fair/hard-nosed/clean baseball. it happened DURING a play - he was trying to make a play for his team.

even torre said it was clean.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: