Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 02:27:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228496 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206753 times)
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #900 on: November 28, 2007, 07:14:40 PM »

Kennedy, Melky & Jackson/Tabata/prospect for Santana.

I can live with that.

Rotation would be;
Johan
Wang
Phil Hughes
Joba
Moose

not bad!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #901 on: November 28, 2007, 08:11:04 PM »

Not sure who i'd be more willing to part with Jackson or Tabata. I haven't heard much about Jackson but i've heard really good things about Tabata already and he's only what 19?
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #902 on: November 28, 2007, 08:15:41 PM »

Jackson had a rough year but then he rebounded and had a strong fall and in AA i think.

Tabata is younger and I think he had a good year in the minors.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #903 on: November 29, 2007, 09:37:57 PM »

red sox are in talks to trade for santana. wow. talk about a 1-2 punch. and schilling as your game 3 starter? that's just insane.

crisp is part of the rumored deal....who would play CF for them? don't tell me they would then land one of the big FAs as well.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #904 on: November 29, 2007, 09:46:48 PM »

ellsbury?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #905 on: November 30, 2007, 10:16:27 AM »

red sox are in talks to trade for santana. wow. talk about a 1-2 punch. and schilling as your game 3 starter? that's just insane.

crisp is part of the rumored deal....who would play CF for them? don't tell me they would then land one of the big FAs as well.
Yeah, Jacoby Ellsbury would probably be their starting CF even if they don't end up trading Crisp (which I think they will).  He was far better in the post-season, he's a sparkplug, lots of speed.  Crisp has been a dissappointment offensively.  Great defensively, but not so much with the bat.  I can't believe the Sox could get Santana for that package (Crisp, Lester, Jed Lowrie, and Justin Masterson/Michael Bowden).  They'd get to hold on the Clay Buchholz AND Ellsbury.  Lowrie is a highly regarded middle infield prospect and the two pitching prospects under consideration are also high on the list, but I would have no qualms whatsoever with that deal.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #906 on: November 30, 2007, 11:57:56 AM »

Yeah, Jacoby Ellsbury would probably be their starting CF even if they don't end up trading Crisp (which I think they will).  He was far better in the post-season, he's a sparkplug, lots of speed.  Crisp has been a dissappointment offensively.  Great defensively, but not so much with the bat.  I can't believe the Sox could get Santana for that package (Crisp, Lester, Jed Lowrie, and Justin Masterson/Michael Bowden).  They'd get to hold on the Clay Buchholz AND Ellsbury.  Lowrie is a highly regarded middle infield prospect and the two pitching prospects under consideration are also high on the list, but I would have no qualms whatsoever with that deal.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Cubs go for a player like Crisp, as he would (defensively) do a lot to sort out their outfield. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #907 on: December 01, 2007, 12:17:02 PM »

Looks like the Yanks may now be willing to include Hughes in the package to get Santana.  I would think the Twins would prefer that package over the Sox (Lester/Crisp).  I'm sure they'll come back and try and get the Sox to give up Ellsbury or Buchholz, but I don't think they'll budge.  They may turn their attention to Dan Haren.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #908 on: December 01, 2007, 12:37:54 PM »

I've got pains in my chest thinking about giving up Phil instead of Ian  Undecided

I wish I was GM for a day I would trade Ian, Melky, Tabata/Jackson and another pitching prospect for Johan in a heart beat.

..if only real life GM had 'FORCE TRADES' like MLB 2K7.  no
sandman
Legend

« Reply #909 on: December 01, 2007, 05:08:16 PM »

Looks like the Yanks may now be willing to include Hughes in the package to get Santana.? I would think the Twins would prefer that package over the Sox (Lester/Crisp).? I'm sure they'll come back and try and get the Sox to give up Ellsbury or Buchholz, but I don't think they'll budge.? They may turn their attention to Dan Haren.

with a rotation that just proved it is capable of winning it all, and arguably the best in baseball, it makes you wonder if the sox are bluffing to get the yanks to give up more. if so, it appears to be working.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #910 on: December 01, 2007, 07:14:16 PM »

The yankee front office is pissing me off adding Huges to the offer. We need to keep these guys and forget about Santana if it means giving up one of the top 3. I'm just waiting for Santana to be another huge New York bust.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #911 on: December 02, 2007, 03:17:28 PM »

sox are willing to include ellsbury. talk about a bidding war. both teams want to add him AND prevent the other from getting him. twins are in a nice situation.

these offers are significant, but if i was a fan of either team, i'd be in favor of doing the deal.

even with ellsbury added to the deal, the yanks offer still seems better to me.

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #912 on: December 02, 2007, 04:33:50 PM »

This is going to be one heck of a bidding war, if both teams are really serious about Johan. It'll come down to who will cave first. Will the Sox give up Clay or will the Yankees give up Ian first?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #913 on: December 02, 2007, 06:47:34 PM »

The yanks seem adamant about not giving up another top prospect other than Hughes. I hope they stick to it. Espn says the twins have until Tuesday to give them an answer or the deal is off the table. As great as Santana is i am hoping that happens. For once i want to see us develop our own and see what we've got.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #914 on: December 02, 2007, 07:39:50 PM »

sox are willing to include ellsbury. talk about a bidding war. both teams want to add him AND prevent the other from getting him. twins are in a nice situation.

these offers are significant, but if i was a fan of either team, i'd be in favor of doing the deal.

even with ellsbury added to the deal, the yanks offer still seems better to me.
I agree, the Yankees offer does SEEM a bit better.  I guess they're just waiting to see if one team goes over the top to outdo the other.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #915 on: December 04, 2007, 09:36:48 AM »

right now it's looking like the Red Sox are the big winners in the Santana sweepstakes. it still seems crazy....i just am not that impressed with their offer. not that they are getting him for nothing, but it's a steal in my opinion. still, there's tons of risk with acquiring SPs. plenty struggle when they change clubs.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3140668

NASHVILLE -- While Hank Steinbrenner set deadlines and publicly lusted after Johan Santana, the Red Sox just bided their time and stayed in the game.

And what do you know? As Monday night turned into Tuesday morning at the winter meetings, suddenly it was the Red Sox who loomed as the favorites to pull off a deal for the best pitcher in baseball.

ESPN the Magazine's Buster Olney reported early Tuesday that the Twins asked the Red Sox for permission to review the medical records of pitcher Jon Lester, amid indications a Red Sox-Twins trade could go down sometime during the early-morning hours.

If the Twins were satisfied with Lester's medicals, it's believed they would accept a swap of him, Coco Crisp, shortstop prospect Jed Lowrie and either highly regarded pitching prospect Justin Masterson or another player.

Or if the Twins reversed field and decided they wanted center fielder Jacoby Ellsbury instead, it's believed that would be a 3-for-1 trade -- with only Ellsbury, Masterson and Lowrie going to Minnesota.

However, the Red Sox apparently remained adamant that while either Ellsbury or Lester was available, they would trade one or the other -- but not both -- in any trade.

The Twins also spent much of Monday night exploring potential 3-for-1 and 4-for-1 trades with the Yankees -- and getting shot down on all their proposals.

According to baseball officials who were aware of those talks, the Twins initially asked for pitcher Ian Kennedy, along with pitcher Phil Hughes and outfielder Melky Cabrera.

After being told Kennedy wasn't available if Hughes was part of the deal, the Twins apparently proposed expanding the trade into a 4-for-1 swap, with players they considered to be lesser prospects than Kennedy. But the Yankees quickly rejected that pitch, too.

All this took place while the Yankees counted down toward their self-imposed Monday night deadline, set against senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner's threats that the Yankees felt they had the best deal on the table and they would walk away if the Twins didn't say yes.

"It's still something that we can't do," Steinbrenner said Tuesday morning, according to The Associated Press. "As far as I'm concerned, it's probably off."

The deadline was intended to nudge the Twins into action. Little did the Yankees suspect it might actually work to the Red Sox's benefit.

New Twins general manager Bill Smith didn't seem concerned about the deadline at any rate.

"We've got good players. We have players that maybe other clubs would like to acquire," he said, according to the AP. "We've had a lot of years where we keep going over and picking up the phone receiver to be make sure the dial tone was still [there]. We couldn't get the phone to ring."

All along, the Yankees seemed to believe that the Red Sox weren't seriously pursuing Santana, that the Boston game plan was to stay just interested enough to force the Yankees to overpay for him. Apparently not.

One source who spoke with the Red Sox delegation told ESPN.com that the Red Sox group was just sitting around its suite Monday night, watching the Patriots-Ravens game, when Smith called and asked to see Lester's medicals.

That got those teams' wheels turning again -- and did so, coincidentally, at the same time the Yankees were almost simultaneously beginning to talk themselves out of this trade.

Officials from other clubs said several of the Yankees' baseball personnel at the meetings had begun openly questioning whether they even wanted to make this trade if the Twins said yes.

"The more this goes on," said one AL executive, "the less they want to do it."

The Twins haven't budged since Friday. They wanted Kennedy then, and they still did on Monday.

Meanwhile, officials from other clubs said some Yankees baseball personnel at the meetings have continued to agonize over the inclusion of Hughes in their offer, out of fear Hughes could come back to haunt them for years. So clearly, the decision to include Hughes in the first place was far from unanimous.

Cashman admitted there's a fear that players he might trade could win Cy Young Awards for another team.

"I'm definitely fully invested in a lot of the young talent. You get attached to it," Cashman said, according to the AP.

And if the Yankees had any inclination whatsoever to waver on their stand a few days ago, the news Monday that Andy Pettitte had decided to return undoubtedly helped ease those concerns.

With Pettitte back, the Yankees can mount a respectable rotation, with or without Santana -- around Pettitte, Chien-Ming Wang, Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy and Mike Mussina. They also are expected to renew their efforts to trade for Oakland's Dan Haren.

But if the Red Sox wind up sweeping Santana out from under them -- and adding him to a rotation that already includes Josh Beckett, Curt Schilling and Daisuke Matsuzaka -- it will be fascinating to see if the Yankees feel the need to respond by reeling in another ace of their own.

"If the Red Sox get Santana," said an executive of one NL team that's grateful to be in the other league, "they might be the best team in the history of the frigging universe."

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #916 on: December 04, 2007, 01:05:32 PM »

right now it's looking like the Red Sox are the big winners in the Santana sweepstakes. it still seems crazy....i just am not that impressed with their offer. not that they are getting him for nothing, but it's a steal in my opinion. still, there's tons of risk with acquiring SPs. plenty struggle when they change clubs.

While seeing Hank Steinbrenner go down in flames would be fun, there's no question that this is bad for baseball. 

But I do agree that this isn't a "sure thing."  He's going from indoor to outdoor (read: COLD in April) and low pressure to high pressure.  His ERA, walks, and homeruns (as well as losses) were all up last year.  Probably a fluke season, and the losses could have been partially due to the Twins having a sub-par season, but there are certainly question marks.  But every team would still want him, without a doubt.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #917 on: December 04, 2007, 06:19:27 PM »

While seeing Hank Steinbrenner go down in flames would be fun, there's no question that this is bad for baseball.?

But I do agree that this isn't a "sure thing."? He's going from indoor to outdoor (read: COLD in April) and low pressure to high pressure.? His ERA, walks, and homeruns (as well as losses) were all up last year.? Probably a fluke season, and the losses could have been partially due to the Twins having a sub-par season, but there are certainly question marks.? But every team would still want him, without a doubt.
There are question marks with every trade, Johan is well worth the risk.  However, the Tigers look like they're gonna acquire Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Willis from the Marlins (deal is pretty much done).  This could throw the Angels into the Santana sweepstakes.  The package they were offering for Cabrera could certainly be used to entice the Twins.  This one is FAR from over.  And as a Sox fan, I'd love for them to get Johan, but I've gotta admit I thought the Yankees deal was better, the Angels may also be able to put together a better package.  We'll see.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #918 on: December 06, 2007, 10:45:30 AM »

WOW...the Dodgers are giving Andruw Jones $36 million over two years, which would make him the fifth highest paid player in MLB. 

Look...people said the Cubs overpaid for Soriano, and giving him eight years was certainly a bit crazy, but at least he didn't hit .222 the year prior.  Jones is great on defense, but he's going to a park that will hurt his power numbers, which is about all the offense he offered up for Atlanta last year.  And his career average is only .263, so even if he was having a down year, it's not like he's a hit machine.  And, of course, if he wasn't having a down year but, in fact, has lost something...well, the Dodgers may have made a big mistake.  At least they were smart enough to only make it a two year deal.

On another note...damn those Tigers should be good!  A little sad to see Renteria go to the AL, as the Cubs still owe him a little something.

Also, looks like the Cards released So Taguchi.  No power, but he's a pesky hitter, and will be a good pickup for a lot of teams. 

On a lighter note, ESPN's player pages give a pronunciation of a players name.  Enjoyed this one: "POO-holes"  rofl
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:53:22 AM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #919 on: December 06, 2007, 12:53:11 PM »

Latest rumour is that the Tigers may trade Dontrelle and possibly Pudge to free up some salary - I guess they just wanted to land Cabrera and had to take Willis?

If A.Jones has a year like he did 2 years ago, then the 18mil may not seem so high
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: