Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 12:33:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228495 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206705 times)
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #880 on: November 15, 2007, 01:13:03 PM »

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3111752

Even as the Yankees press ahead in their talks to bring third baseman Alex Rodriguez back into the fold, free agent Mike Lowell remains a point of interest.

If anything, the Yankees are now coming at Lowell from another angle ... or corner.

According to reports in the New York Post and Star Ledger of Newark, the Yankees are talking with Lowell, Boston's third baseman the last two seasons, about moving from third to first.

"All I can say at this time is that the Yankees have engaged us," one of Lowell's agents, Seth Levinson, told the Post.

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein put a new contract for the World Series MVP on the table last week, a three-year offer reportedly worth in the $35 million to $45 million range.

Where the Red Sox were the only team that could negotiate with Lowell through midnight on Monday, others now can make offers. It's not known if the Yankees and Lowell's agents have advanced beyond the discussion phase.

Lowell followed a superlative regular season -- career highs in batting average (.324) and RBIs (120) to go with 21 home runs in 154 games -- with an outstanding October. In Boston's four-game sweep of Colorado, Lowell hit .400 (6-for-15) with four RBIs, three walks and a team-high six runs in winning

He homered, doubled and scored twice in the Game 4 clincher at Denver's Coors Field.

Lowell, who made $9 million last year, was selected by the Yankees in the 20th round of the 1995 amateur draft. He played eight games for New York in the 1998 season before being dealt to the Florida Marlins in February 1999. He was acquired by Boston from Florida in November 1995 in the Josh Beckett trade.

It is likely that Jason Giambi will play out the final season of his Yankees contract as the team's designated hitter. First baseman Andy Phillips is returning in 2008, but Lowell, who turns 34 in February, is known for excellent defense.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #881 on: November 15, 2007, 07:06:21 PM »

Report: A-Rod, Yankees agree on outline of $275 million, 10-year contract
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees have agreed to the outline of a
$275 million, 10-year contract, a deal that potentially would allow him to earn millions more if he sets the career home run record.

The amount of the guaranteed money was revealed by a person familiar with the negotiations who spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because the deal hasn't been finalized. A-Rod met Wednesday in Tampa, Fla., with the Steinbrenner brothers but the parameters of the deal were set in place last weekend.

"Yeah, I could say that," Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said. "The meeting was a final get-together. He wanted to make sure myself and my brother knew that he was sincere and serious."

The Yankees still must draft the agreement with Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3112799

I saw this one coming after they started talking yesterday.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #882 on: November 19, 2007, 08:40:21 PM »

Rivera accepted the 3 year/$45 million contract from the Yanks.
Posada accepts for 4 years/$52 million contract from the Yanks.
A-Rod (likely this week) signing 10 years/$275 million contract from Yanks.

Same team as last year, minus Pettite. Looking good to me.

I think Andy will end up coming back again, the Yankees need him and I think he knows that. Rotation (Pettite, Wang, Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy/Mussina) is looking young, but good. Joba, could, stay in the pen but I've read over and over he'll be in the rotation in '08.

Lineup something like this;
Damon DH
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
A-Rod 3B
Giambi 1B
Matsui LF
Posada C
Cano 2B
Melky CF

looks pretty good to me. Give Shelly some time v. LHP, switch Matsui and Damon once in awhile.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #883 on: November 20, 2007, 12:39:13 AM »

Rivera accepted the 3 year/$45 million contract from the Yanks.
Posada accepts for 4 years/$52 million contract from the Yanks.
A-Rod (likely this week) signing 10 years/$275 million contract from Yanks.

Same team as last year, minus Pettite. Looking good to me.

I think Andy will end up coming back again, the Yankees need him and I think he knows that. Rotation (Pettite, Wang, Hughes, Chamberlain, Kennedy/Mussina) is looking young, but good. Joba, could, stay in the pen but I've read over and over he'll be in the rotation in '08.

Lineup something like this;
Damon DH
Jeter SS
Abreu RF
A-Rod 3B
Giambi 1B
Matsui LF
Posada C
Cano 2B
Melky CF

looks pretty good to me. Give Shelly some time v. LHP, switch Matsui and Damon once in awhile.

Looks good to me too. I love the young rotation. Even if there are growing pains its going to be worth it in the long run. I hope Pettitte comes back but i'm not so convinced he will. If he does i believe it will be his final year. He really wants to be with his family more than anything i think.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #884 on: November 20, 2007, 05:53:29 PM »

J-Roll!!!  ok

back to back MVPs for the phils (maybe a three-peat with Utley?).

i wish the owners would buck up and spend. they have as good a nucleus as there is in baseball, a city starved for a winner, and a beautiful newer stadium. apparently, a few minority owners want to increase the payroll, but continue to get voted down.

although i was shocked to hear the phils made an offer to Lowell, and an aggressive one at that.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #885 on: November 24, 2007, 12:21:06 AM »

Pitcher Joe Kennedy dead at 28

Joe Kennedy, who finished the 2007 season with the Toronto Blue Jays, has died in Florida at the age of 28.

Police said Kennedy collapsed at home and was taken to a local hospital.

Kennedy was 43-61 in seven big league season with Tampa Bay, Colorado, Oakland, Arizona and Toronto.  He had a career ERA of 4.79 in 222 appearances.

Kennedy played for three teams last season, finishing the year with the Blue Jays after signing a minor league deal with Toronto. He played nine games for Toronto, posting a 1-0 record and a 5.12 ERA.

"We are shocked and terribly saddened by the passing of Joe Kennedy.  I offer my deepest condolences and prayers to his wife Jami, and son Steffen," said Paul Godfrey, President and CEO of the Blue Jays.

"This is tragic and stunning news, it is difficult to express the emotions felt by the Blue Jays players and our organization," added Jays GM J.P. Ricciardi.  "My sincere sympathies go to his wife, their son and the entire family."

Kennedy filed for free agency after the season.

Godfrey said Toronto was interested in bringing Kennedy back.

"We had every intention to speak to him,"' he said. "We had him on our list to talk to."

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #886 on: November 27, 2007, 04:24:53 PM »

Yankees are making a big push for Santana.

Supposedly offering Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera and either Ian Kennedy/another prospect.

But with that they'd want Johan to sign an 8 year-$175 Million or similar-contract.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #887 on: November 27, 2007, 04:33:07 PM »

*cough*SALARY CAP!*cough*

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #888 on: November 27, 2007, 06:03:17 PM »

Yankees are making a big push for Santana.

Supposedly offering Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera and either Ian Kennedy/another prospect.

But with that they'd want Johan to sign an 8 year-$175 Million or similar-contract.

Not a deal i would make at all. If its gonna cost us two of our best pitching prospects and our centerfielder. I'll wait for the greedy bastard to hit free agency.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #889 on: November 27, 2007, 06:51:12 PM »

Ian Kennedy will never be more than a number 3 starter. He's good and young, yes, but he wont amount to anything great. Phil has the potential to be an ace in the future, and Melky is a CF who will hit for average, I don't see pop from him.

MY guess is that the Yanks will try to pull this off, then sign a CF (A. Jones, A. Rowand) to fill the void.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #890 on: November 27, 2007, 08:24:40 PM »

Ian Kennedy will never be more than a number 3 starter. He's good and young, yes, but he wont amount to anything great. Phil has the potential to be an ace in the future, and Melky is a CF who will hit for average, I don't see pop from him.

MY guess is that the Yanks will try to pull this off, then sign a CF (A. Jones, A. Rowand) to fill the void.

Maybe he will be but i like what i saw from him in his 3 September starts. Everyone seems to compare him to a young Moose. I'd happily take another workhorse type of guy like that. Huges and Chamberlain are the two i really have no desire to part with. Melky i'm not sure about he is still very young so he could always still develop some power. He is also developing into a very good defender.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #891 on: November 27, 2007, 09:27:32 PM »

Absolutely agree about Melky as a defender, pop, I just think he's too small. He'll be a 1/2/7/8/9 hitter his career. Hit for average, drive in some runs, steal some bases.

Ian did look good in his starts, no doubt. But why not get something for him now rather than him blowup down the line, or just not pan out to be as great as he appeared.

I personally think Johan is worth the trade. Ian, Melky and another prospect for Johan. If it is Phil instead of Ian, I'd have to really think hard about it because Phil is so young and so good, but who knows what'll happen.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #892 on: November 27, 2007, 10:01:40 PM »

Yeah and thats the problem we just don't know how these guys are gonna turn out. I'd love to have Santana especially if Pettitte doesn't come back and i honestly think he might be done. He wants to be with his family. I'm just weary of giving up who we'd likely have to for Santana. Mostly Hughes. He is going to be a lot better then he was last year. The two injuries really slowed his progress but he showed me a lot in the playoff game in relief of Clemens. We'll just have to see how it all plays out it should be interesting. Assuming Santana will even waive the no trade clause.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #893 on: November 27, 2007, 10:13:16 PM »

I'm sure he would with the extension they're talking about.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #894 on: November 28, 2007, 03:08:57 AM »

Yeah thats true. I know i sure would  hihi
sandman
Legend

« Reply #895 on: November 28, 2007, 11:28:05 AM »

i haven't been following the baseball offseason during the last two weeks. Peter King gave his thoughts on the A-rod situation and was critical of the yankees. is this a fair assessment?...

Let me get this straight about the Alex Rodriguez deal. He was making $25 million a year with three years left that he could opt out of. The Yankees told him if he opted out, they would have no interest in talking to him. He opted out. They held firm -- for about 10 minutes. He called the Yankees. They re-signed him ... FOR A RAISE. Now he'll make $27.5 million a year, and if he breaks the home run record, which appears quite likely, they'll pay him $30 million more in bonuses. Assuming he breaks the record, the Yankees will be paying $30.5 million a year over the life of the contract. Boy, those Yankees sure do hold a hard line.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #896 on: November 28, 2007, 11:30:42 AM »

i haven't been following the baseball offseason during the last two weeks. Peter King gave his thoughts on the A-rod situation and was critical of the yankees. is this a fair assessment?...

Let me get this straight about the Alex Rodriguez deal. He was making $25 million a year with three years left that he could opt out of. The Yankees told him if he opted out, they would have no interest in talking to him. He opted out. They held firm -- for about 10 minutes. He called the Yankees. They re-signed him ... FOR A RAISE. Now he'll make $27.5 million a year, and if he breaks the home run record, which appears quite likely, they'll pay him $30 million more in bonuses. Assuming he breaks the record, the Yankees will be paying $30.5 million a year over the life of the contract. Boy, those Yankees sure do hold a hard line.

rofl  Steinbrenners are funny.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #897 on: November 28, 2007, 01:23:14 PM »

That's the story...but not the WHOLE story.

He's taking less than Boras wanted him to, or "advised" him to.  Less than Boras told the Yankees they had to offer for A-Rod NOT to opt out....heck, less than the price Boras required the Yanks to meet to even TALK to A-Rod.  So you could easily take the above story, reverse the slant (and it IS slanted), and show it was A-rod and Boras who didn't hold much of a hard line.  Things changed.  I'd assume the Yanks "hard line" was in direct opposition to Boras' demands/requirements/expectations.  When it became apparent those were going to be significantly lowered......

They both "bent", and they both seem to be getting what they wanted. 

And I STILL say that A-rod's wife is about 70% of the reason it looks like he's staying in NY.  JMHO.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
sandman
Legend

« Reply #898 on: November 28, 2007, 05:07:38 PM »

as for the yanks offering ALOT for johan, i think it's the right move. SPs are always a risk, but with their current rotation, they are not a championship team. they would likely have similar results to this year.....great offense, average pitching, and another loss in the playoffs.

WITH santana, they are much more of a threat to win it all.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #899 on: November 28, 2007, 06:57:18 PM »

Well it all depends on how Hughes Chamberlain and Kennedy perform in their first and second full season. But i or probably anyone doesn't expect them to be great immediately. I'm sure there will be some growing pains.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: