Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 12:27:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228495 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206694 times)
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #860 on: November 14, 2007, 01:00:38 PM »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3109894

Looks like A-Rod and the Yankees may be negotiating again.  Is this a case of him crawling back after finding no takers for his $350M asking price?  And when the Yankees say he has to "give back" the $21M subsidy from Texas, does that mean that he simply needs to mark down to $329M and then they have a deal?

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #861 on: November 14, 2007, 01:13:40 PM »

Looks like A-Rod and the Yankees may be negotiating again.  Is this a case of him crawling back after finding no takers for his $350M asking price?  And when the Yankees say he has to "give back" the $21M subsidy from Texas, does that mean that he simply needs to mark down to $329M and then they have a deal?

Is Texas now completely free of any more A-rod payments?  I hope so...that's hamstrung them for far too long. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #862 on: November 14, 2007, 02:24:06 PM »

Looks like A-Rod and the Yankees may be negotiating again.? Is this a case of him crawling back after finding no takers for his $350M asking price?? And when the Yankees say he has to "give back" the $21M subsidy from Texas, does that mean that he simply needs to mark down to $329M and then they have a deal?

Is Texas now completely free of any more A-rod payments?? I hope so...that's hamstrung them for far too long.?

Yes, they got off the hook the moment he opted out.  Of the 3 parties involved, they probably needed the $$ most.

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #863 on: November 14, 2007, 03:21:47 PM »

Is Texas now completely free of any more A-rod payments?  I hope so...that's hamstrung them for far too long. 

Yes, they got off the hook the moment he opted out.  Of the 3 parties involved, they probably needed the $$ most.

Not true, they still owe him $9 million (I believe) for a signing bonus or something. I'll look it up.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #864 on: November 14, 2007, 03:27:35 PM »

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21677531

Rangers still owe $9 million to A-Rod
Texas saved $21.3 million because of decision to opt out of New York
The Associated Press
updated 5:37 p.m. ET, Wed., Nov. 7, 2007

ORLANDO, Fla. - Alex Rodriguez will still be on the Texas Rangers? books for quite a while.

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said Wednesday the team must fund the original $9 million in deferred payments Rodriguez was owed for the remainder of the $252 million, 10-year contract he signed with the team before the 2001 season.

That money, $3 million for each of the next three seasons, was reconfigured into an assignment bonus at the time of A-Rod?s 2004 trade to the New York Yankees.

?Anything that was part of the assignment bonus is considered earned at the time to the trade,? Daniels said.

That means Rodriguez walked away from $72 million when he opted out of the contract: salaries of $24 million owed by the Yankees in each of the next three seasons.

Texas did save $21.3 million because of A-Rod?s decision to opt out, according to Daniels. As part of the payment schedule agreed to at the time of the trade, Texas agreed to pay the Yankees $8,116,000 in 2008, $7,101,500 in 2009 and $6,087,000 in 2010.

Rodriguez?s $36 million assignment bonus will accrue interest at 2 percent annually and will be paid to the player each June 15 from 2016-25.

While most teams have downplayed their interest in Rodriguez, the Los Angeles Angels have said they are exploring whether they?d want A-Rod. Agent Scott Boras said last weekend he wasn?t going to detail his conversations with clubs about Rodriguez.

?We had an initial conversation with Scott, and it was introductory,? new Angels general manager Tony Reagins said. ?He probably makes any team that he?s a part of better.?

Reagins said if talks progressed, the Angels would welcome a chance to speak with Rodriguez. Reagins acknowledged that marketing, as well as baseball skills, would play a role in a decision to sign A-Rod.

?In this day and age, I think that is a part of it,? he said.

Rodriguez, likely to win his third AL MVP award, is expected to sign another record deal. Before A-Rod terminated his contract with New York, Boras told the Yankees they had to offer $350 million just to get a meeting with the third baseman.

? 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #865 on: November 14, 2007, 04:07:58 PM »

Yes, they got off the hook the moment he opted out.? Of the 3 parties involved, they probably needed the $$ most.

Not true, they still owe him $9 million (I believe) for a signing bonus or something. I'll look it up.

My bad, cotis.  Thanks.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #866 on: November 14, 2007, 05:56:52 PM »

Yep and satan i mean Boras is not allowed to be part of it and A-Rod seems willing to comply.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #867 on: November 14, 2007, 06:05:35 PM »

Looks like A-Rod and the Yankees may be negotiating again.? Is this a case of him crawling back after finding no takers for his $350M asking price?? And when the Yankees say he has to "give back" the $21M subsidy from Texas, does that mean that he simply needs to mark down to $329M and then they have a deal?

Yep and satan i mean Boras is not allowed to be part of it and A-Rod seems willing to comply.

Thing is, some are saying the Yankees would have violated the Collective Bargaining Agreement by refusing to deal with a player's agent... unless Boras is no longer his agent???

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #868 on: November 14, 2007, 06:38:52 PM »

Who's to say Alex can't have a friendly conversation with Hank and Hal, where some 'numbers' are accidentally thrown around and Alex likes them? They can then setup a meeting and A-Rod accept, he tells Boras what to do, not the other way around.

It was the team's intention to increase its offer, perhaps to nine or 10 years, so that Rodriguez, in the end, would make something in the range of nine years and $260 million, or 10 years and $289 million.
--from ESPN.

Also, just heard on the news here, WCBS 2 that the Yanks are in talks with A-Rod on a 10 year-$280 million contract where A-Rod could make up to $55 million the first year with incentives. Thats crazy.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #869 on: November 14, 2007, 06:58:50 PM »

Thing is, some are saying the Yankees would have violated the Collective Bargaining Agreement by refusing to deal with a player's agent... unless Boras is no longer his agent???

Players are allowed to negotiate on their own as far as i know. Garry Sheffield did the same when he signed with the yankees.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #870 on: November 14, 2007, 07:00:48 PM »

Players are allowed to negotiate on their own as far as i know. Garry Sheffield did the same when he signed with the yankees.

he however didn't have agents at the time.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #871 on: November 14, 2007, 08:10:12 PM »

he however didn't have agents at the time.

Andruw Jones apparently did the same thing with his last contract too. He and his dad negotiated the contract and he is a Boras client.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #872 on: November 14, 2007, 08:44:28 PM »

Source: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7446572

The Yankees will be in violation of baseball's collective-bargaining agreement if they exclude agent Scott Boras from their negotiations with his client, Alex Rodriguez.

"That clearly is a violation of the Basic Agreement," Michael Weiner, the general counsel of the players' union, told FOXSports.com on Wednesday.

"Once a player designates an agent, a club cannot refuse to meet with that agent."

Rodriguez, a free agent, is again discussing a contract with the Yankees, according to the New York Daily News. The team wants to bypass Boras in the negotiations, the Daily News says.

"We will not negotiate with Scott Boras," a Yankees source told the paper. "He cannot be in the room."

However, Yankees officials likely know that they cannot exclude Boras, sources say.

The Yankees can avoid Boras only if Rodriguez fires the agent and chooses either to represent himself or pick another representative.

Rodriguez gives no indication that he is ready to fire his longtime agent.                   

He can go against his advice and accept a contract like A-Rod did in 1996 with the Mariners, he doesn't HAVE to go with what his agent says. But I believe he must be present if he is A-Rod's agent.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #873 on: November 14, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »

Source: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7446572

The Yankees will be in violation of baseball's collective-bargaining agreement if they exclude agent Scott Boras from their negotiations with his client, Alex Rodriguez.

"That clearly is a violation of the Basic Agreement," Michael Weiner, the general counsel of the players' union, told FOXSports.com on Wednesday.

"Once a player designates an agent, a club cannot refuse to meet with that agent."

Rodriguez, a free agent, is again discussing a contract with the Yankees, according to the New York Daily News. The team wants to bypass Boras in the negotiations, the Daily News says.

"We will not negotiate with Scott Boras," a Yankees source told the paper. "He cannot be in the room."

However, Yankees officials likely know that they cannot exclude Boras, sources say.

The Yankees can avoid Boras only if Rodriguez fires the agent and chooses either to represent himself or pick another representative.

Rodriguez gives no indication that he is ready to fire his longtime agent.                   

He can go against his advice and accept a contract like A-Rod did in 1996 with the Mariners, he doesn't HAVE to go with what his agent says. But I believe he must be present if he is A-Rod's agent.

Well it doesn't matter because that demand is apparently false. I just read this on the yankee website. But a baseball source at the meetings with knowledge of the negotiations said that the Yankees now have an open dialogue with Rodriguez. The source also denied a report published on Wednesday that the Yankees specifically told A-Rod that they would not negotiate with Scott Boras, his agent.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #874 on: November 14, 2007, 08:52:49 PM »

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071114&content_id=2300695&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

NAPLES, Fla. -- The New York Yankees are getting close to re-signing third baseman Alex Rodriguez to a multi-year contract that would pay him as much as $290 million, multiple baseball sources told MLB.com as the owners gathered here Wednesday for the final quarterly meetings of the year.

Though one source cautioned that the Yankees "don't have a deal yet," the possibility of it happening was the main topic of conversation as committees met on Wednesday in preparation for Thursday morning's joint session of the 30 owners and/or their representatives.

The news came only hours after Rodriguez confirmed making direct contact with the Yankees with the hope of reviving his future in New York.

In a statement posted on AROD.com, Rodriguez's official Web site, he said that he had spoken directly with the Steinbrenner family and is taking part in continuing dialogue with the club.

"After spending time with [wife] Cynthia and my family over these last few weeks, it became clear to me that I needed to make an attempt to engage the Yankees regarding my future with the organization," Rodriguez said.

"Prior to entering into serious negotiations with other clubs, I wanted the opportunity to share my thoughts directly with Yankees ownership. We know there are other opportunities for us, but Cynthia and I have a foundation with the club that has brought us comfort, stability and happiness."

Randy Levine, the team's president who is in town for the meetings, declined to comment on the Rodriguez situation, saying only that he didn't want to "negotiate in the press."

But a baseball source at the meetings with knowledge of the negotiations said that the Yankees now have an open dialogue with Rodriguez. The source also denied a report published on Wednesday that the Yankees specifically told A-Rod that they would not negotiate with Scott Boras, his agent.

The source added that Rodriguez "reached out" to the Yankees, but that the team has "no right to tell anyone who should represent" any player.

A team, of course, can talk directly with a player as long as it doesn't try to circumvent his representation.

The Padres did just that last week with right-hander Greg Maddux, another Boras client, when the San Diego club and pitcher came to a verbal agreement on a one-year extension to his contract worth $10 million. The paperwork on the deal, said Padres general manager Kevin Towers at the time, was being handled by Boras.

Citing his comfort in New York, Rodriguez confirmed that he approached the Yankees through a third-party intermediary.

"I reached out to the Yankees through mutual friends and conveyed that message," Rodriguez said. "I also understand that I had to respond to certain Yankees concerns, and I was receptive and understanding of that situation.

"Cynthia and I have since spoken directly with the Steinbrenner family. During these healthy discussions, both sides were able to share honest feelings and hopes with one another, and we expect to continue this dialogue with the Yankees over the next few days."

The Yankees are apparently unconcerned that Rodriguez's overture could be a ploy to generate interest in the 11-time All-Star and probable 2007 American League MVP. While most clubs would love to add a player of Rodriguez's magnitude, teams with the financial wherewithal to realistically do it this offseason have proven scarce.

Even the Players Association released a statement last week saying it was concerned that teams were colluding against Rodriguez by sharing monetary information about his status, a strict abrogation of the Basic Agreement.

The Yankees originally backed away from Rodriguez after Game 4 of the World Series when Boras delivered word that Rodriguez had opted out of his contract and forfeited the remaining three years and $81 million on his deal.

At the time, Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner dismissed talk of pursuing A-Rod, saying, "It's goodbye." Yankees general manager Brian Cashman reiterated numerous times that the Yankees could not fiscally pursue Rodriguez if he opted out, citing the loss of a $30 million subsidy the Rangers agreed to pay when the Yankees acquired him prior to the 2004 season in exchange for second baseman Alfonso Soriano.

In fact, the makeup of the new deal, if it is signed, will probably have Rodriguez forgoing that money at the front end while the Yankees pay more per annum at the back end of the deal, a practice the club favors in its long-term contracts.

Rodriguez, 32, is the clear-cut favorite to be named AL MVP when the award is announced on Monday. It would be Rodriguez's third time bringing home the honor in his career, and the second in four seasons as a member of the Yankees.

Rodriguez led the Major Leagues in home runs (54), RBIs (156) and runs scored (143) in 2007, batting .314 with 24 stolen bases while helping the Yankees dig out of an early hole and attain the AL Wild Card before falling to the Indians in the AL Division Series. He also clubbed his 500th home run on Aug. 4 against the Royals, becoming the youngest player in history to reach that mark.

To be honest, I'm glad they're negotiating and that Alex, appears to be, headed back to NY. No matter who else we planned plugging in there, no one compared to Alex, IMO.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #875 on: November 14, 2007, 09:08:24 PM »

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071114&content_id=2300695&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

NAPLES, Fla. -- The New York Yankees are getting close to re-signing third baseman Alex Rodriguez to a multi-year contract that would pay him as much as $290 million, multiple baseball sources told MLB.com as the owners gathered here Wednesday for the final quarterly meetings of the year.

Though one source cautioned that the Yankees "don't have a deal yet," the possibility of it happening was the main topic of conversation as committees met on Wednesday in preparation for Thursday morning's joint session of the 30 owners and/or their representatives.

The news came only hours after Rodriguez confirmed making direct contact with the Yankees with the hope of reviving his future in New York.

In a statement posted on AROD.com, Rodriguez's official Web site, he said that he had spoken directly with the Steinbrenner family and is taking part in continuing dialogue with the club.

"After spending time with [wife] Cynthia and my family over these last few weeks, it became clear to me that I needed to make an attempt to engage the Yankees regarding my future with the organization," Rodriguez said.

"Prior to entering into serious negotiations with other clubs, I wanted the opportunity to share my thoughts directly with Yankees ownership. We know there are other opportunities for us, but Cynthia and I have a foundation with the club that has brought us comfort, stability and happiness."

Randy Levine, the team's president who is in town for the meetings, declined to comment on the Rodriguez situation, saying only that he didn't want to "negotiate in the press."

But a baseball source at the meetings with knowledge of the negotiations said that the Yankees now have an open dialogue with Rodriguez. The source also denied a report published on Wednesday that the Yankees specifically told A-Rod that they would not negotiate with Scott Boras, his agent.

The source added that Rodriguez "reached out" to the Yankees, but that the team has "no right to tell anyone who should represent" any player.

A team, of course, can talk directly with a player as long as it doesn't try to circumvent his representation.

The Padres did just that last week with right-hander Greg Maddux, another Boras client, when the San Diego club and pitcher came to a verbal agreement on a one-year extension to his contract worth $10 million. The paperwork on the deal, said Padres general manager Kevin Towers at the time, was being handled by Boras.

Citing his comfort in New York, Rodriguez confirmed that he approached the Yankees through a third-party intermediary.

"I reached out to the Yankees through mutual friends and conveyed that message," Rodriguez said. "I also understand that I had to respond to certain Yankees concerns, and I was receptive and understanding of that situation.

"Cynthia and I have since spoken directly with the Steinbrenner family. During these healthy discussions, both sides were able to share honest feelings and hopes with one another, and we expect to continue this dialogue with the Yankees over the next few days."

The Yankees are apparently unconcerned that Rodriguez's overture could be a ploy to generate interest in the 11-time All-Star and probable 2007 American League MVP. While most clubs would love to add a player of Rodriguez's magnitude, teams with the financial wherewithal to realistically do it this offseason have proven scarce.

Even the Players Association released a statement last week saying it was concerned that teams were colluding against Rodriguez by sharing monetary information about his status, a strict abrogation of the Basic Agreement.

The Yankees originally backed away from Rodriguez after Game 4 of the World Series when Boras delivered word that Rodriguez had opted out of his contract and forfeited the remaining three years and $81 million on his deal.

At the time, Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner dismissed talk of pursuing A-Rod, saying, "It's goodbye." Yankees general manager Brian Cashman reiterated numerous times that the Yankees could not fiscally pursue Rodriguez if he opted out, citing the loss of a $30 million subsidy the Rangers agreed to pay when the Yankees acquired him prior to the 2004 season in exchange for second baseman Alfonso Soriano.

In fact, the makeup of the new deal, if it is signed, will probably have Rodriguez forgoing that money at the front end while the Yankees pay more per annum at the back end of the deal, a practice the club favors in its long-term contracts.

Rodriguez, 32, is the clear-cut favorite to be named AL MVP when the award is announced on Monday. It would be Rodriguez's third time bringing home the honor in his career, and the second in four seasons as a member of the Yankees.

Rodriguez led the Major Leagues in home runs (54), RBIs (156) and runs scored (143) in 2007, batting .314 with 24 stolen bases while helping the Yankees dig out of an early hole and attain the AL Wild Card before falling to the Indians in the AL Division Series. He also clubbed his 500th home run on Aug. 4 against the Royals, becoming the youngest player in history to reach that mark.

To be honest, I'm glad they're negotiating and that Alex, appears to be, headed back to NY. No matter who else we planned plugging in there, no one compared to Alex, IMO.

I agree there is no one they could've replaced him with that will put up those #'s. The price tag is ouch $290 million but hey if thats what it takes. I'm really starting to wonder if he really wanted to leave or even opt out. I think he listened to Boras too much.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #876 on: November 14, 2007, 09:13:10 PM »

Or Boras did a great job convincing him he could get $350+ Million.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #877 on: November 14, 2007, 09:15:34 PM »

That could be too. I guess he realized thats not realistic.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #878 on: November 15, 2007, 08:17:59 AM »

That could be too. I guess he realized thats not realistic.

Given the "accusations" of collusion that were making the rounds a week ago...my guess is that there has been little to no interest in A-Rod at the price tag Boras was floating....especially with the Sox (Lowell is reportedly very close to a deal) and the Yanks putting themselves out of the running.

I'm just hoping that, with the Yanks back in, Boras isn't going to use them as a bargaining chip.  I think the arbitration offering from the Yanks also helped.  Having to pay Arods salary AND give up 2 draft picks makes signing him even more risky.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #879 on: November 15, 2007, 01:08:57 PM »

It's also reported the Yanks are going after Lowell for first base. Offering four years.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: