Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 10:41:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228493 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206654 times)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #840 on: November 08, 2007, 12:49:43 PM »

Did I just see that the Phils got Brad Lidge?? It ran across the bottom of ESPN, but I didn't see all the details.? But he'll certainly improve their pitching.

that's correct.

i don't know how i feel about this deal. lidge seems like a head case. i had just recently gotten comfortable with the idea of Myers being our closer for many years, and now they send him back to the rotation. if he pitches like a legitimate #1 again, that's a real nice 1-2 of myers/hamels. hopefully kendrick is the real deal. moyer is what he is, and if the phils are lucky, eaton will get his head out of his ass.

i liked bourn and think he could turn into a real nice player. costanzo was once considered the phillies top prospect and i thought he was penciled in as the 3B of the future. although he has struggled a bit during the last two seasons.

i'm VERY curious to see what the plans are now for CF. i had been assuming there was no shot at signing Rowand, but now i'm hoping they are able to get something done. i wouldn't be surprised if they are very close to finalizing a deal with someone (rowand or another FA or a trade), cause the "hole" we had in the OF just got alot bigger.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #841 on: November 08, 2007, 02:51:19 PM »

Did I just see that the Phils got Brad Lidge?  It ran across the bottom of ESPN, but I didn't see all the details.  But he'll certainly improve their pitching.

that's correct.

i don't know how i feel about this deal. lidge seems like a head case.

As an NL Central fan, I can say that, when Lidge is on, he's on.  And very, very good.  Everyone wants that truly dominant closer, but there are few who really fit the bill.  I'm not sure Lidge does, either, but he can be dominant for long periods.  If he starts out well (confidence seems to be a factor), he could have a great season. 

Or, to put it simply, I'd take him on my team. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #842 on: November 08, 2007, 05:28:31 PM »

Did I just see that the Phils got Brad Lidge?  It ran across the bottom of ESPN, but I didn't see all the details.  But he'll certainly improve their pitching.

that's correct.

i don't know how i feel about this deal. lidge seems like a head case.

As an NL Central fan, I can say that, when Lidge is on, he's on.  And very, very good.  Everyone wants that truly dominant closer, but there are few who really fit the bill.  I'm not sure Lidge does, either, but he can be dominant for long periods.  If he starts out well (confidence seems to be a factor), he could have a great season. 

Or, to put it simply, I'd take him on my team. 

heard myers will be going back to the rotation and lidge closer.

when he was lights out a couple years ago, he was fucking amazing. he's just a headcase though. he needs to get his game together. i think he could be dominant for philly
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #843 on: November 09, 2007, 02:12:38 AM »

Lawsuit: Cards negligent in running STD text message on ballpark screen

ST. LOUIS -- An Illinois woman is suing the St. Louis Cardinals for allowing a text message that falsely suggested her daughter has a sexually transmitted disease to be posted on the ballpark's message board during a game.

The lawsuit, filed Wednesday in St. Louis Circuit Court, claims the 17-year-old girl was so traumatized by the message last year during a class trip that she stayed out of school the rest of the semester and took her finals in a school office to avoid ridicule.

The lawsuit seeks at least $25,000 in damages from the Cardinals, alleging the ballclub negligently failed to properly screen the messages, which fans may submit for a small fee to display on Busch Stadium's electronic message board.

The Cardinals "published the text consciously disregarding whether the text was true or not," the lawsuit reads.

Messages left Thursday with the Cardinals and the family's attorney, Bob Perica of Wood River, Ill., were not immediately returned.

The lawsuit, which identifies the mother only as "C.B." and the daughter as "A.B.," does not name a classmate who allegedly posted the message.

According to the lawsuit, the teenager was with her classmates at Busch for a game against the Kansas City Royals on May 19, 2006, when a girl schoolmate called the ballpark's message board and, using the daughter's name, texted, "(A.B.) has an STD! Eww!"

Workers for or agents of the Cardinals "approved the message to go on the board," and it was posted during the game that drew a turnout of more than 48,000, the lawsuit claims.

The teenager never has had a sexually transmitted disease, according to the suit.

The Cardinals "owed a duty of reasonable care to all fans in attendance," including the teenager, and breached that by posting the defamatory message "to anyone who could read," the lawsuit alleges.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3100957

rofl rofl rofl

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #844 on: November 09, 2007, 02:21:23 AM »

Gotta love sue happy americans.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #845 on: November 10, 2007, 03:51:11 PM »

that story makes me laugh hihi

been reading in some papers saying that if the Yankees were to go after Santana and trade Hughes/Melky for him, they would sign Andruw Jones or Torii hunter to fill the void in center.

thoughts?
I'm undecided on 'dealing away the farm'.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #846 on: November 10, 2007, 03:57:26 PM »

that story makes me laugh hihi

been reading in some papers saying that if the Yankees were to go after Santana and trade Hughes/Melky for him, they would sign Andruw Jones or Torii hunter to fill the void in center.

thoughts?
I'm undecided on 'dealing away the farm'.
If I were the Yanks I wouldn't hesitate one bit to do that deal.  Melky is a nice CF, but nothing that Jones or Hunter won't make you forget.  And Hughes will never be anywhere close to Johan Santana.  And obviously money is no issue.  I would HOPE the Twins would want more than just Hughes/Melky.  At least have them throw Joba in there or something, that's just not enough.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #847 on: November 10, 2007, 04:14:33 PM »

I'd rather keep Joba, throw in Ian Kennedy? or Humberto Sanchez?

I dont see the Yanks parting with joba.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #848 on: November 10, 2007, 06:51:41 PM »

As good as Santana is no way i make that deal. We would be trading a 22 yr old with an amazing upside for a guy already pushing 30. I wouldn't part with Melky either honestly. He has proven to be a very good center fielder with a great arm. Hal has already said they aren't parting with Huges Kennedy or Chamberlain anyway so this is a moot discussion.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #849 on: November 10, 2007, 09:50:26 PM »

As good as Santana is no way i make that deal. We would be trading a 22 yr old with an amazing upside for a guy already pushing 30. I wouldn't part with Melky either honestly. He has proven to be a very good center fielder with a great arm. Hal has already said they aren't parting with Huges Kennedy or Chamberlain anyway so this is a moot discussion.

I was fine with everything you said up till there. He said that they won't be dealt, for a position player (Miguel Cabrera). If I can find the interview I'll post it but I know he said that.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #850 on: November 10, 2007, 09:52:44 PM »

Source: http://www.nypost.com/seven/11102007/sports/yankees/yankees__mets_expect_han_to_han_combat_128268.htm

Hank Steinbrenner hinted the Yankees would be players in the Santana sweepstakes. After telling The Post earlier this week that none of his top-tier young pitchers - Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy - would be traded for a position player, Steinbrenner offered no comment when asked about the possibility any of the trio would be dealt for another pitcher.

Seems to me the Yanks will deal some of them for a SP if they see fit.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #851 on: November 10, 2007, 11:10:10 PM »

Source: http://www.nypost.com/seven/11102007/sports/yankees/yankees__mets_expect_han_to_han_combat_128268.htm

Hank Steinbrenner hinted the Yankees would be players in the Santana sweepstakes. After telling The Post earlier this week that none of his top-tier young pitchers - Joba Chamberlain, Phil Hughes or Ian Kennedy - would be traded for a position player, Steinbrenner offered no comment when asked about the possibility any of the trio would be dealt for another pitcher.

Hmm i don't like that. I wanna see what those three can do as starters in the majors first. I know Huges was up and down last year but i attribute a lot of that to all the time he missed. He showed me a lot in the playoff game he came into. Joba having 2 plus and 2 above average pitches you gotta give the guy a chance first. Kennedy i liked what i saw from him in his 3 starts in september. I really like Santana he is a great pitcher but why trade away guys that have the potential to be as good as him and are 10 yrs younger.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #852 on: November 11, 2007, 01:14:27 AM »

Kennedy will be an average starter at best in the majors, the typical 3/4 man of the rotation.
Joba has potential to be a great 1/2 starter, as does Phil.

Who knows what will truely happen?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #853 on: November 11, 2007, 01:26:50 AM »

Hmm i don't like that. I wanna see what those three can do as starters in the majors first. I know Huges was up and down last year but i attribute a lot of that to all the time he missed. He showed me a lot in the playoff game he came into. Joba having 2 plus and 2 above average pitches you gotta give the guy a chance first. Kennedy i liked what i saw from him in his 3 starts in september. I really like Santana he is a great pitcher but why trade away guys that have the potential to be as good as him and are 10 yrs younger.
That's a REAL stretch to think that one of those 3 may be as good as Santana one day.  The man is arguably the best pitcher in the game RIGHT now.  Would you relaly not trade a guy who COULD be good one day for one of the best right now?  I don't get that.  And again, Melky is decent but nothing that can't be replaced.  The Twins would HAVE to demand at least two of the three pitchers and Melky, then I could see your possible hesitation (thought I'd still do it).  For just Melky and Hughes though, insane not to make that deal.  And insane for the Twins to even consider that.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #854 on: November 11, 2007, 01:39:15 AM »

That's a REAL stretch to think that one of those 3 may be as good as Santana one day.  The man is arguably the best pitcher in the game RIGHT now.  Would you relaly not trade a guy who COULD be good one day for one of the best right now?  I don't get that.  And again, Melky is decent but nothing that can't be replaced.  The Twins would HAVE to demand at least two of the three pitchers and Melky, then I could see your possible hesitation (thought I'd still do it).  For just Melky and Hughes though, insane not to make that deal.  And insane for the Twins to even consider that.

Time will tell thats why i'd be hesitant to do it. We don't know just how good they will be yet. I want time to see exactly what we've got with them. I think Hughes and Chamberlain definitely have the ability to be as good. Will they? Its just too soon to know for sure. Kennedy i think could be the next moose. A very solid starter for a long time.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #855 on: November 13, 2007, 01:41:15 AM »

Yanks, Posada agree to $52.4M deal; Rivera gets offer
Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The New York Yankees and Jorge Posada agreed Monday night to a $52.4 million, four-year contract that keeps the catcher off the free-agent market.

A five-time All-Star, Posada said Sunday he was "really close" to a deal with the Yankees and his preference was to remain with the only major league team he's played for.

A person familiar with the talks confirmed the deal, speaking on condition of anonymity because the team didn't announce it. The sides were working late Monday on wrapping up details of the agreement, which was first reported by the Daily News on its Web site. Posada must pass a physical before the contract is finalized.

Posada's $13.1 million average salary becomes the highest for a catcher, topping the $10 million Detroit's Ivan Rodriguez and Boston's Jason Varitek currently are guaranteed and the $13 million Mike Piazza averaged under his contract with the New York Mets from 1999-05. Rodriguez will earn $13 million next year, the option season of his contract with the Tigers.

New York also was trying to re-sign Mariano Rivera before Tuesday, when free agents could start talking money with all clubs, but those talks were taking longer to complete.

Posada and his agents, Sam and Seth Levinson, had lunch Monday with Mets general manager Omar Minaya and vice president Tony Bernazard. The Yankees initially offered the 36-year-old Posada a three-year contract but upped their proposal to four years on Monday evening.

Posada hit a team-high .338 this year with 20 homers and 90 RBIs. He set career highs for average, slugging percentage (.543) and on-base percentage (.426).

The Levinsons also represent Boston third baseman Mike Lowell, and the Yankees already have had dialogue with the pair about the World Series MVP, whose preference appears to be to stay with the Red Sox.

Rivera, an eight-time All-Star who turns 38 on Nov. 29, was in the Dominican Republic on Monday, and the closer said if he couldn't reach a deal with New York, he would consider following manager Joe Torre to the Los Angeles Dodgers. He is expected to receive a three-year contract and Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said Rivera already had been given an improved offer.

"The Yankees are my first option," he said in Santo Domingo. "But if that is not possible, there is Joe with the Dodgers."

General manager Brian Cashman said re-signing the pair are his top priorities right now.

"The ball's pretty much in their court now. They've both been made very good offers now, and we'll see where they're at," Steinbrenner said Monday afternoon. "We'll see how committed they are."

Steinbrenner said the Yankees still were trying to gauge what the Florida Marlins might want in a trade for All-Star third baseman Miguel Cabrera, who is being made available.

"We got a couple ideas, what they might be asking for, and it's a lot," Steinbrenner said. "I don't know what's going to happen there, but there's still plenty of time on that."

It's also far too early to determine whether the Minnesota Twins will attempt to trade two-time Cy Young Award winner Johan Santana, who can become a free agent after next season. Steinbrenner said the Yankees certainly would speak with the Twins if he becomes available.

"I think somebody would be foolish to say they have no interest in Santana," he said, "but it depends. It depends on what they're looking for."

No real surprise here. I expect Rivera to do the same in the next few days.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3107197
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #856 on: November 13, 2007, 08:18:31 AM »

For me, the sticking point is actually Melky.  I'd give up Hughes or Kennedy (NOT Chamberlain) for Santana, and LOADS of position players.  But not Melky.  He, along with Cano, are the future All Stars on the Yanks.  I was onboard with giving up Soriano....he had some major holes in his game and the Yanks didn't have the luxury of changing his posiiton.  But I think trading away Melky would be a mistake that would bit the Yanks in the ass.....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #857 on: November 13, 2007, 08:43:28 AM »

That's a REAL stretch to think that one of those 3 may be as good as Santana one day.? The man is arguably the best pitcher in the game RIGHT now.? Would you relaly not trade a guy who COULD be good one day for one of the best right now?? I don't get that.? And again, Melky is decent but nothing that can't be replaced.? The Twins would HAVE to demand at least two of the three pitchers and Melky, then I could see your possible hesitation (thought I'd still do it).? For just Melky and Hughes though, insane not to make that deal.? And insane for the Twins to even consider that.

For me, the sticking point is actually Melky.? I'd give up Hughes or Kennedy (NOT Chamberlain) for Santana, and LOADS of position players.? But not Melky.? He, along with Cano, are the future All Stars on the Yanks.? I was onboard with giving up Soriano....he had some major holes in his game and the Yanks didn't have the luxury of changing his posiiton.? But I think trading away Melky would be a mistake that would bit the Yanks in the ass.....
I pose you this question.  Would you consider Melky to be a better prospect than Hanley Ramirez?  The Sox traded Hanley and Anabel Sanchez for Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell.  Ramirez looks like he'll be a top flight SS for YEARS to come.  He's got all the skills.  Could work on his defense, but he's such a dynamic force on offense.  But the Sox got an ACE in Beckett.  You don't come across those every day.  I'm of the belief you give up a top position prospect (or any prospect for that matter) for a top flight starting pitcher every day and twice on Sunday.  Beckett had a rough year last year while Hanley won the ROY and people in Boston were questioning the deal.  Now it's like, Hanley who?  And you have to sort of take Lowell out of the equation because he was a throw-in for salray dump.  Nobody expected him to produce as well as he has.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #858 on: November 13, 2007, 11:01:57 AM »

I pose you this question.  Would you consider Melky to be a better prospect than Hanley Ramirez?  The Sox traded Hanley and Anabel Sanchez for Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell.  Ramirez looks like he'll be a top flight SS for YEARS to come.  He's got all the skills.  Could work on his defense, but he's such a dynamic force on offense.  But the Sox got an ACE in Beckett.  You don't come across those every day.  I'm of the belief you give up a top position prospect (or any prospect for that matter) for a top flight starting pitcher every day and twice on Sunday.  Beckett had a rough year last year while Hanley won the ROY and people in Boston were questioning the deal.  Now it's like, Hanley who?  And you have to sort of take Lowell out of the equation because he was a throw-in for salray dump.  Nobody expected him to produce as well as he has.

Nope, don't agree.

I think Melky is a better position player than Ramirez is RIGHT NOW.  Melky has been, statistically, one of the top 5 defensive CF'ers in baseball over the past 2 years.  He's also young, swings a good bat, and is a homegrown Yankee talent.

Looking at the Sox deal isn't, really, the best comparison though.  Beckett was no where NEAR the pitcher he is now during the year before he came to Boston.  Beckett, prior to this year, was an above average pitcher who gave up way too many home runs and had blister issues.  It remains to be seen if THIS year is what Beckett has matured into (and I think it is) or not....but the two deals you're talking about are night and day different.

Ramirez was not the every day shortstop for the Sox.  This would be more akin to the Sox trading Ellsbury (assuming he played his way into his position last year...and I think he did) and your "ace in the making"  Clay Buchholz for Santana.  I'd trade Buchholz, but giving up Ellsbury would be the sticking point, for me.  You know it's likely Santana is as good as, if not better than, what Clay will become....but is he worth ALSO giving up what you pretty much KNOW Ellsbury will be?

My opinion is that Melky (and Ellsbury) are the futures of their respective organization.  I'm not sure I'd trade that away so quickly.....Now, if they'd take Hughes or Kennedy and DAMON (yup, back to him again), the deal would be done an hour after they proposed it.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #859 on: November 13, 2007, 05:54:18 PM »

I agree the deals aren't that comparable.  Santana is a better pitcher than Beckett was when the Sox made the deal, so obviously you're gonna have to give up more.  Like a prospect who has played a full season at the major league level, rather than one with just minor league experience.  As a Sox fan I would rather the Yanks hold onto their young guys than trade them for a perennial Cy Young candidate.  That's all I'm saying.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: