Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 04:27:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228492 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206423 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #720 on: October 28, 2007, 11:18:21 PM »

Bye A-Rod Smiley

Rodriguez opts out of contract with New York Yankees
By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
October 28, 2007

DENVER (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez opted out of his $252 million, 10-year contract with the Yankees on Sunday in what appears to be the end of his career with New York.

Agent Scott Boras said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that Rodriguez had made the decision.

I thought he wasn't allowed to publicly announce this until AFTER the series was over. Someones gonna get Selig's wrath for this and i hope its that scumbag Boras.

The series is basically over dude  Wink

who the yanks got at third now?

Yeah but still not technically over Selig is still not gonna be happy it happened during the game or even the same day as a game.

I have no earthly idea quite honestly. I don't think we'll give Bettemit the full time job.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #721 on: October 29, 2007, 12:14:35 AM »

Well another very boring world series comes to an end.
LawsonsLaw007
Back in the saddle again
VIP

Follow me on Twitter! @SammyBoyDpk

« Reply #722 on: October 29, 2007, 01:13:36 AM »

Ahhhh Yea baby home town boys win it!!!!!!!

Peace

Follow me on Twitter!! @SammyBoyDpk 15,000 followers can't be wrong!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #723 on: October 29, 2007, 01:18:52 AM »

Bye A-Rod Smiley

October 28, 2007

DENVER (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez opted out of his $252 million, 10-year contract with the Yankees on Sunday in what appears to be the end of his career with New York.

Agent Scott Boras said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that Rodriguez had made the decision.

I wonder where he'll go.  People will talk about the Cubs, because they have $$$ and he's close with Piniella, but I don't see it happening.  They already spent the money they felt was necessary and, despite their playoff performance, they have a core to compete for years into the future.  If he went to Anaheim, that team would become a fucking juggernaut.  Let the bidding begin!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #724 on: October 29, 2007, 01:32:56 AM »

Bye A-Rod Smiley

October 28, 2007

I wonder where he'll go.  People will talk about the Cubs, because they have $$$ and he's close with Piniella, but I don't see it happening.  They already spent the money they felt was necessary and, despite their playoff performance, they have a core to compete for years into the future.  If he went to Anaheim, that team would become a fucking juggernaut.  Let the bidding begin!

I think the Giants could be a big possibility. I am praying yankee ownership sticks to what they said and doesn't pursue him now. He's a great player but i take him opting out before we could even negotiate with him as a big fuck you. So FUCK HIM back.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #725 on: October 29, 2007, 08:11:48 AM »

Yeah they really have been boring the last few years. I blame this years on all the fucking off days. Colorado having to sit around for 8 days is just too long. MLB has got to find some way to address this. I honestly would be in favor of eliminating ALL off days during a series. I mean how many were there in the ALCS 3? Why? Teams play for 2 weeks straight during the season without a day off why do they need so many off during the playoffs. I say eliminate all off days during a series and if one series ends quickly like a sweep the next series should start as soon as possible to cut down on off days. If this had been done this year the rockies would've still had a few days off but not 8. I think they would've had 4-5 off but they waited nearly 3 full days after boston won to start the world series mid week, again why?

The reasoning is twofold. One business, one not.

The business reason is to "get" the games on a certain schedule so the networks are happy....it allows them to garner more ad revenue, etc.  If it were JUST this reason, I'd agree....but you'd likely have "competing" games on at the same time, especially in the 1st round....and maybe even in the NLCS vs ALCS. 

The 2nd reason is to allow for travel time.  While you DO see teams play 2 weeks straight without an off day, you don't see it happen very often where they go from the East Coast to the West Coast in a 24 hour span.  It happens, but not often.  They build the off days in to "protect" teams from having to do that twice in 7 days, in case you have a series between and East and West Coast team.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #726 on: October 29, 2007, 08:15:48 AM »

Bye A-Rod Smiley

October 28, 2007

I thought he wasn't allowed to publicly announce this until AFTER the series was over. Someones gonna get Selig's wrath for this and i hope its that scumbag Boras.

there was no provision that he had to wait til after the series.  That provision comes from the league, and only applies to decisions and announcements coming from team front offices.  His "provision" was that he had from  the time the Yanks season ended UNTIL 10 days after the world series to decide.  He could make that decision and announce it at any point during that time frame.

I still think his timing sucks....seems sorta bush league to me.  I've defended A-rod on LOTS of things over the past 3 years, but, Yankee or not (and I guess he's not anymore) this move was sorta classless.  It was done to attract attention, and that DISTRACTS attention from the real story:  The games still being played...and, in this case, the Sox winning the WS.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #727 on: October 29, 2007, 08:18:30 AM »

The series is basically over dude  Wink

who the yanks got at third now?

Well, there are no meaningful games to be played for 6 months-ish...so they've got time to answer that question.

They do have Betemit.  His natural position is 3B, so....he can certainly play there.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #728 on: October 29, 2007, 08:22:04 AM »

Angels
Cubs
Mets
Boston (as their SS)

That would be the short list.  There's also the possibility that someone will "pull a Rangers".  Some small market team, with incredibly low payroll, will come in and offer him a mint so they can fill their park.  A team like the Marlins, for example.....

I wonder if this is a game of chicken that Boras and A-Rod might regret.  I think they're banking on the Yanks playing a role in free agency....and I think they're going to be very surprised.  And without the 800 lb gorilla as a threat to drive up his price, I wonder what effect that's going to have on A-Rod's final number...and where he plays.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #729 on: October 29, 2007, 08:28:29 AM »

I think the Giants could be a big possibility. I am praying yankee ownership sticks to what they said and doesn't pursue him now. He's a great player but i take him opting out before we could even negotiate with him as a big fuck you. So FUCK HIM back.

A-Rod wants NO part of AT&T park.  It would NOT be friendly for him....and could actually effect his ability to break records (which, lets face it, is the only reason to go to SF...it's not like they're contenders).

Apparently, the Yanks put a preliminary offer on the table (30 million for 5 years beyond the 3 still on his contract) and Boras didn't like the number OR the term enough to negotiate from that point.  To me, that says that, essentially, they were either going to opt out the entire time because he wants out of NY, or they want the an obscene amount of money from the Yanks and think they can get it by playing the free agency card to get it from them.  If they really think they're going to get better than 33-35 million a year for 8-10 years (which is what you figure the Yanks would have come up to after negotiations from the initial offer) from another team....more power to him.  He should take it.  But honestly, I don't think it's in many teams best interests to pay that.  I can't imagine there's going to be many teams in the market for someone that wants that kind of deal.  I'm sure he'll end up SOMEWHERE, but it'll be interesting to see HOW much more he'll get than the reported Yanks offer was.

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #730 on: October 29, 2007, 10:02:25 AM »

I'll pick the Sox in a sweep.

You're a genius!? Wait... I wrote that.? Well, it's nice to get one sports prediction right every other decade or so.? Congratulations to the Red Sox and their fans.? ?beer

A-Rod's opt-out timing was pathetic, I agree.? Contrary to what Hank Steinbrenner said, however, I'm not sure it means he doesn't want to be a Yankee, he just doesn't want to be a Yankee at anything less than absolute top dollar - which is probably how every other player in the league feels.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #731 on: October 29, 2007, 10:13:27 AM »

A-Rod's opt-out timing was pathetic, I agree.  Contrary to what Hank Steinbrenner said, however, I'm not sure it means he doesn't want to be a Yankee, he just doesn't want to be a Yankee at anything less than absolute top dollar - which is probably how every other player in the league feels.

Which means Boras thinks the Yanks are bluffing about not negotiating with him if he opts out....

I don't think they are.

And when you remove the guys that are willing to pay top dollar (the Yanks), usually above everyone else in the market...what's that going to do to the market.  Especially when the Yanks have been so vocal about letting the rest of the league know they're not in the race.

For my money, that's going to drop A-rods final number, at least a bit.  Because now the competition is in a much smaller pool, and going to be paying a much higher % of their payroll to one player, and they KNOW that the guy who usually outbids them has layed down his paddle in the auction.

A-rod's also just completely pissed of the Red Sox front office (reportedly) with the grandstanding move of announcing he's opting out while they're playing in (and ultimately winning) the world series.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 10:15:33 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #732 on: October 29, 2007, 10:21:43 AM »

Which means Boras thinks the Yanks are bluffing about not negotiating with him if he opts out....

I don't think they are.

And when you remove the guys that are willing to pay top dollar (the Yanks), usually above everyone else in the market...what's that going to do to the market.? Especially when the Yanks have been so vocal about letting the rest of the league know they're not in the race.

For my money, that's going to drop A-rods final number, at least a bit.? Because now the competition is in a much smaller pool, and going to be paying a much higher % of their payroll to one player, and they KNOW that the guy who usually outbids them has layed down his paddle in the auction.

A-rod's also just completely pissed of the Red Sox front office (reportedly) with the grandstanding move of announcing he's opting out while they're playing in (and ultimately winning) the world series.

Makes sense, but wasn't A-Rod essentially in a similar position in 2000, except it was the Mets rather than the Yankees who he would use to drive up the bidding?  In response to Boras' ridiculous demands, the Mets publicly dropped out of the bidding, but then A-Rod still got that ridiculous contract from the Rangers. 

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #733 on: October 29, 2007, 11:04:14 AM »

Makes sense, but wasn't A-Rod essentially in a similar position in 2000, except it was the Mets rather than the Yankees who he would use to drive up the bidding?  In response to Boras' ridiculous demands, the Mets publicly dropped out of the bidding, but then A-Rod still got that ridiculous contract from the Rangers. 

Yup, but the Rangers were the ONLY team offering that kind of money....and almost bankrupted themselves doing it.

That's not to say Boras and A-Rod won't find another team willing to do it...but I'm not sure they're going to be overly happy with the list of them.  It's liable to be short, and THAT short list will be short on powerhouse contenders.

And I'm not sure that the $$'s they see will be THAT much higher than what the Yanks offered, in the end.  Maybe.....

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #734 on: October 29, 2007, 11:12:15 AM »

not a good couple weeks for the yankees organization. and certainly not a good start to the new regime.

who's playing 3rd for the red sox next year? any rumors on where lowell is going and what kind of $$ he's looking at?

i said it before and i'll say it again, i have no interest in the phillies paying that kind of money for one player. but philly would be a nice spot for A-Rod. he'd increase the likelihood of breaking the record and join a young team with a potentially bright future.

but i'm really hoping the phils make a run at lowell. 

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #735 on: October 29, 2007, 11:25:03 AM »

not a good couple weeks for the yankees organization. and certainly not a good start to the new regime.

who's playing 3rd for the red sox next year? any rumors on where lowell is going and what kind of $$ he's looking at?

i said it before and i'll say it again, i have no interest in the phillies paying that kind of money for one player. but philly would be a nice spot for A-Rod. he'd increase the likelihood of breaking the record and join a young team with a potentially bright future.

but i'm really hoping the phils make a run at lowell. 

I think the Red Sox will throw as much money as necessary at Lowell to keep him.  I doubt, especially after winning the WS MVP, that they'll let him get away.  And I don't think it's a situation where Lowell WANTS to leave Boston...

If he's not playing 3rd for the Sox next year, he's more likely to be in pinstripes than anywhere else, IMHO.

Together again,
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #736 on: October 29, 2007, 12:11:45 PM »

Yup, but the Rangers were the ONLY team offering that kind of money....and almost bankrupted themselves doing it.

That's not to say Boras and A-Rod won't find another team willing to do it...but I'm not sure they're going to be overly happy with the list of them.? It's liable to be short, and THAT short list will be short on powerhouse contenders.

And I'm not sure that the $$'s they see will be THAT much higher than what the Yanks offered, in the end.? Maybe.....

I think the Yankees' "opt-out and you're gone" position was a little surprising.  The Texas subsidy amounts to $21 million and while I can't in good conscience use "only" and $21 million" in the same sentence, these are the Yankees we're talking about - not exactly the most fiscally conservative organization - along with the fact that the cost would be spread out over about 10 years.  Maybe they just don't think he's worth it and would prefer to invest in more pitching.

By the way, some articles out there are suggesting that Boras, in violation of MLB tampering rules, has an in-principle deal with another team on the table already. 

C0ma
Legend

« Reply #737 on: October 29, 2007, 05:27:00 PM »

"By the way, some articles out there are suggesting that Boras, in violation of MLB tampering rules, has an in-principle deal with another team on the table already."

I think he does... He did it last year with JD Drew. After the courting that went on between the Sox and ARod in the 03-04 off-season I wouldn;t be suprised if there were some "If I were to have a 3rd baseman on the market, would you be interested?" questions to the Sox front office. Now whether or not he burned a bridge last night...who knows. But the Sox front office does have a history of chasing players who they over value (Julio Lugo, Edgar Renteria, JD Drew, etc...)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #738 on: October 29, 2007, 05:46:39 PM »

"By the way, some articles out there are suggesting that Boras, in violation of MLB tampering rules, has an in-principle deal with another team on the table already."

I think he does... He did it last year with JD Drew. After the courting that went on between the Sox and ARod in the 03-04 off-season I wouldn;t be suprised if there were some "If I were to have a 3rd baseman on the market, would you be interested?" questions to the Sox front office. Now whether or not he burned a bridge last night...who knows. But the Sox front office does have a history of chasing players who they over value (Julio Lugo, Edgar Renteria, JD Drew, etc...)

I wasn't aware that he did that with Drew, but I wouldn't put anything past Boras.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #739 on: October 29, 2007, 06:50:54 PM »

Bye A-Rod Smiley

October 28, 2007

there was no provision that he had to wait til after the series.  That provision comes from the league, and only applies to decisions and announcements coming from team front offices.  His "provision" was that he had from  the time the Yanks season ended UNTIL 10 days after the world series to decide.  He could make that decision and announce it at any point during that time frame.

I still think his timing sucks....seems sorta bush league to me.  I've defended A-rod on LOTS of things over the past 3 years, but, Yankee or not (and I guess he's not anymore) this move was sorta classless.  It was done to attract attention, and that DISTRACTS attention from the real story:  The games still being played...and, in this case, the Sox winning the WS.

It was horrible timing and very classless. I lost a lot of respect for him last night and i say good riddance. Did you by any chance read Buster Olney's article and hear Peter Gammons' remarks? They both tore him a new hole.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: