Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 04:31:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228492 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206444 times)
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #700 on: October 26, 2007, 08:29:23 AM »

Though the Rockies lost, it was nice to see a close, exciting game.

Rockies better "wake up" in Colorado, or this is going to be a very short series.
Yeah I'm thinking it's gonna be short, but who knows. ?The home field advantage is probably just about as large for the Rockies as it was for the Sox. ?We'll have to see who the Sox sit (Ortiz, Lowell, Youkilis). ?I have a strange feeling that Dice K is gonna pitch a good game tomorrow. ?I can't say the same for Lester in game 4. ?And obviously I like Beckett in game 5, by that point the series could be over.

Is the layoff effect done with yet or is that still going on? ?You'd have to think going back home will pump some life into them. ?So no more rust I'd say.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #701 on: October 26, 2007, 09:48:07 AM »

New reports are coming out that say Cashman is being given the onus of making the managerial decision for the Yanks.....and the Steinbrenners are doing it to give him either enough rope to hang himself with or to give them good reason to re-up his contract next year.

Cashmans has reportedly been leaning toward Girardi.

We'll see.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #702 on: October 26, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »

New reports are coming out that say Cashman is being given the onus of making the managerial decision for the Yanks.....and the Steinbrenners are doing it to give him either enough rope to hang himself with or to give them good reason to re-up his contract next year.

We'll see.

Yeah, I heard that this morning as well. We'll see.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #703 on: October 26, 2007, 12:47:40 PM »

With Girardi rumored to be going to NYY or LAD, I bet he's glad he didn't take that Orioles offer a while back.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #704 on: October 26, 2007, 03:12:18 PM »

With Girardi rumored to be going to NYY or LAD, I bet he's glad he didn't take that Orioles offer a while back.

You can say that again

Though having Bedard to anchor a staff is a good start, that team is basically a disgrace compared to what they were when Ripken was playing
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #705 on: October 26, 2007, 07:43:12 PM »

We'll see.

Yeah i read that too last night. Its either go with his gut and hire Girardi and if it fails lose his job. Or go with Mattingly who the ownership wants.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #706 on: October 27, 2007, 09:38:23 AM »

Who ever the Yanks choose as manager.... Their first move should be to promote Joe Kerrigan to pitching coach out of the Bullpen. That guy was incredible with the Sox rotation in the late 90's. of course Pedro didn't hurt that staff much either,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #707 on: October 28, 2007, 01:52:33 AM »

Who ever the Yanks choose as manager.... Their first move should be to promote Joe Kerrigan to pitching coach out of the Bullpen. That guy was incredible with the Sox rotation in the late 90's. of course Pedro didn't hurt that staff much either,

Well i don't see that happening. I think its basically AAA pitching coach Dave Eiland's job.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #708 on: October 28, 2007, 01:53:23 AM »

Well i think this world series is pretty much over. Anyone disagree lol.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #709 on: October 28, 2007, 09:29:20 AM »

I think there are still some Rockie fans waving those ridiculous mercy towels around.  I thought we left those behind in Cleveland, apparently not.  We'll see if Lester could wrap it up tonight.  Would be a nice story, with him surviving cancer and everything.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #710 on: October 28, 2007, 07:42:30 PM »

I think there are still some Rockie fans waving those ridiculous mercy towels around.  I thought we left those behind in Cleveland, apparently not.  We'll see if Lester could wrap it up tonight.  Would be a nice story, with him surviving cancer and everything.

Yeah it would be.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #711 on: October 28, 2007, 07:54:03 PM »

I was talking with my brother-in-law, today, and realized that it's been since 2002 that there was a really good, competitive World Series (and unless the Rox win the next three, this will be no different). 

2007:  Huh  Either worthless, or an extraordinary comeback.  The former seems a tad more likely.
2006: Cards in 5
2005: White Sox in 4
2004: Red Sox in 4
2003: Marlins in 6
2002: Angels in 7
2001: D'backs in 7

And before that the Yanks swept a couple.  Snooze.  no

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #712 on: October 28, 2007, 09:08:35 PM »

Yeah they really have been boring the last few years. I blame this years on all the fucking off days. Colorado having to sit around for 8 days is just too long. MLB has got to find some way to address this. I honestly would be in favor of eliminating ALL off days during a series. I mean how many were there in the ALCS 3? Why? Teams play for 2 weeks straight during the season without a day off why do they need so many off during the playoffs. I say eliminate all off days during a series and if one series ends quickly like a sweep the next series should start as soon as possible to cut down on off days. If this had been done this year the rockies would've still had a few days off but not 8. I think they would've had 4-5 off but they waited nearly 3 full days after boston won to start the world series mid week, again why?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #713 on: October 28, 2007, 10:15:58 PM »

Yeah they really have been boring the last few years. I blame this years on all the fucking off days. Colorado having to sit around for 8 days is just too long. MLB has got to find some way to address this. I honestly would be in favor of eliminating ALL off days during a series. I mean how many were there in the ALCS 3? Why? Teams play for 2 weeks straight during the season without a day off why do they need so many off during the playoffs. I say eliminate all off days during a series and if one series ends quickly like a sweep the next series should start as soon as possible to cut down on off days. If this had been done this year the rockies would've still had a few days off but not 8. I think they would've had 4-5 off but they waited nearly 3 full days after boston won to start the world series mid week, again why?

I'm 100% with you on this one.  Not only would it lead to more competitive baseball, but it would also help to shorten a long postseason. 

But the reason for the days off has more to do with $$$ than with any reason that is tied to the actual playing of the game.  FOX probably wants to pick and choose which nights it's willing to show MLB, over its regular lineup.  It would make a lot more sense for ESPN to broadcast these games...they've nothing to really sacrifice!  "Oh, no!  I've missed one of the eight daily broadcasts of Sportscenter!"  Besides, ESPN rolls over for the major sports, anyway.  They'll have a two hour pregame for the NFL and then, not having any games, they'll show bowling or something like that. 

I'd also like to know if the amount paid by a network to show the World Series varies based on the number of games. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2007, 10:19:09 PM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #714 on: October 28, 2007, 10:27:27 PM »

I'm 100% with you on this one.  Not only would it lead to more competitive baseball, but it would also help to shorten a long postseason. 

But the reason for the days off has more to do with $$$ than with any reason that is tied to the actual playing of the game.  FOX probably wants to pick and choose which nights it's willing to show MLB, over its regular lineup. 

Exactly. I know it would affect pitching staffs. The teams wouldn't be always be able to line up the starters the way they want but so what. Its survival of the fittest this time of year. The rockies somehow managed to sweep two series and their pitching had to be tired. They didn't get much rest before either of the first two rounds. Then they get 8 days off before the world series and suddenly the best offense and pitching in the NL sucks? It can't be anymore obvious the 8 days hurt them badly. You're right though its all about the money and not about good baseball. I guess they'd rather have the money over a larger view rating.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #715 on: October 28, 2007, 10:31:38 PM »

You're right though its all about the money and not about good baseball. I guess they'd rather have the money over a larger view rating.

Of course, with more competitive baseball, and longer series, they'd reach more viewers. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #716 on: October 28, 2007, 10:36:58 PM »

You're right though its all about the money and not about good baseball. I guess they'd rather have the money over a larger view rating.

Of course, with more competitive baseball, and longer series, they'd reach more viewers. 

Which is something you would think they'd want.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #717 on: October 28, 2007, 10:55:38 PM »

Bye A-Rod Smiley

Rodriguez opts out of contract with New York Yankees
By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer
October 28, 2007

DENVER (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez opted out of his $252 million, 10-year contract with the Yankees on Sunday in what appears to be the end of his career with New York.

Agent Scott Boras said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that Rodriguez had made the decision.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #718 on: October 28, 2007, 11:10:07 PM »

Bye A-Rod Smiley

October 28, 2007

DENVER (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez opted out of his $252 million, 10-year contract with the Yankees on Sunday in what appears to be the end of his career with New York.

Agent Scott Boras said in an e-mail to The Associated Press that Rodriguez had made the decision.

I thought he wasn't allowed to publicly announce this until AFTER the series was over. Someones gonna get Selig's wrath for this and i hope its that scumbag Boras.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #719 on: October 28, 2007, 11:12:06 PM »

Bye A-Rod Smiley

October 28, 2007

I thought he wasn't allowed to publicly announce this until AFTER the series was over. Someones gonna get Selig's wrath for this and i hope its that scumbag Boras.

The series is basically over dude  Wink

who the yanks got at third now?

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: