Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 02:25:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228492 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206279 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #680 on: October 25, 2007, 12:03:15 AM »

Yeah this one really sucked. Its obvious the 8 days affected Colorado's pitching. I hope they can shake the rust off for tomorrow and at least make it a good game.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #681 on: October 25, 2007, 09:20:51 AM »

Colorado had better shake off the rust quick, or this Series is going to be ugly.

I just want good, entertaining games.? This sucks, so far.
Ah, it's only one game.  Personally, as a Sox fan, I'd like every game to go like last night in the Sox favor.  A loss is a loss, whether by 12 or 1, there's always tomorrow.  With that being said, I don't wanna call it a must win, but it would do the Rockies some good to win tonight.  Otherwise this one could be done in 5.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #682 on: October 25, 2007, 10:14:49 AM »

Colorado had better shake off the rust quick, or this Series is going to be ugly.

I just want good, entertaining games.  This sucks, so far.
Ah, it's only one game.  Personally, as a Sox fan, I'd like every game to go like last night in the Sox favor.  A loss is a loss, whether by 12 or 1, there's always tomorrow.  With that being said, I don't wanna call it a must win, but it would do the Rockies some good to win tonight.  Otherwise this one could be done in 5.

As a baseball fan...and I think you have to assume that most people left watching the games are that, rather than specific teams fans at this point....I want close, competitive, exciting games.  Blowouts are going to lead to low ratings for this WS, and low ratings aren't good for baseball....not to mention they're boring as fuck to watch.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #683 on: October 25, 2007, 10:26:33 AM »

I just want good, entertaining games.? This sucks, so far.
Ah, it's only one game.? Personally, as a Sox fan, I'd like every game to go like last night in the Sox favor.? A loss is a loss, whether by 12 or 1, there's always tomorrow.? With that being said, I don't wanna call it a must win, but it would do the Rockies some good to win tonight.? Otherwise this one could be done in 5.

As a baseball fan...and I think you have to assume that most people left watching the games are that, rather than specific teams fans at this point....I want close, competitive, exciting games.? Blowouts are going to lead to low ratings for this WS, and low ratings aren't good for baseball....not to mention they're boring as fuck to watch.
I hear you, but I don't work for MLB and I'm a Sox fan, so I could care less about the ratings.  I'd watch 4 straight 13-1 games, every single pitch.  I know what you're saying though.  An impartial fan would have been hard pressed to sit through last nights game.  I'm sure there'll be some closer games down the line though.  It's only one game.  We'll see how another inexperienced young hurler can perform under the bright lights of Fenway tonight.  I would think the Rockies would put up more runs tonight against Schilling.  Beckett is about as good as you can get these days, no shame in being shut down by him right now.  Could be in for a 7-5 game or so tonight.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #684 on: October 25, 2007, 10:28:11 AM »

I don't buy the layoff

Big difference playing Arizona and Boston

BIGGGGGGGG difference

Colorado havent been on this kind of stage and haven't faced this kind of team.

Josh Beckett is amazing and Colorado had no chance in game 1, I think Colorado should've started a 4th starter against  Beckett and just conceded game 1 and then came back and thrown their ace Francis in Game 2.

Doesn't mean they can't regroup but I see Boston taking this in 6 or less.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #685 on: October 25, 2007, 10:42:04 AM »

I don't buy the layoff

Big difference playing Arizona and Boston

BIGGGGGGGG difference

Colorado havent been on this kind of stage and haven't faced this kind of team.

Josh Beckett is amazing and Colorado had no chance in game 1, I think Colorado should've started a 4th starter against? Beckett and just conceded game 1 and then came back and thrown their ace Francis in Game 2.

Doesn't mean they can't regroup but I see Boston taking this in 6 or less.
It's tough to say whether the layoff had an effect or not.  I don't think it HELPED the Rockies to be off 8 days while the Sox played till the bitter end, getting hot in the process.  I do think the layoff hurt the Tigers last year.  I truly thought they were the best team in baseball, but the Cards got hot at the right time.  But you're right, the Rockies were HUGE underdogs last night for a reason.  Fenway, Beckett, etc.  Their pitching was awful, but I'm sure they had a few games like that during the season.  I think they've pitched over their heads this post-season so far, until last night.  Not that what they did last night is the norm, but it probably lies somewhere in between.  And yes, there is a HUGE difference between the worst offense in the majors (the D'Backs) and a very good offense (the Red Sox).  Point proven in the first inning. 
Anyone notice the complete turnaround Eric Byrnes had in the pre-game show, telling us how surprised we'd all be at how good the Rockies are?  Wasn't he the same guy who said during the NLCS that the Rockies were not better than the D'backs, they were just getting the lucky bounces?  Trying to save a little face are we Eric?  Stand by your convictions damnit.  I predict he'll come on tonight and say how much better the Sox are and how he can't believe how his team lost the Rox.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #686 on: October 25, 2007, 12:00:27 PM »

the layoff definitely had an effect. they were doing all the little things right during their hot streak. not to take anything away from boston since it looks like they are playing their best baseball of the year.

but a perfect example was Holliday misplaying that ball on the Sox 4th run. then the throw to SS was off and the throw to the catcher was off as well. that has nothing to do with the Sox, and previously they were making those plays. they were a textbook team for several weeks.

i normally don't chear for teams that eliminate Philly sports teams, and i get no satisfaction if those teams go on to win it all. this rockies team was an exception - you can't help but respect this team after watching them during their run. hopefully they get back on track and at least make this a series. i was flipping channels by the 4th inning.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #687 on: October 25, 2007, 12:47:33 PM »

Bonds bitter after split with Giants

SAN FRANCISCO - Barry Bonds is just a tad bit bitter about his departure from the San Francisco Giants.

The 43-year-old home run king heard a long list of his accomplishments read during a special speaking forum Wednesday night hosted by the Commonwealth Club, then was asked by KGO Radio host Ray Taliaferro if he'd really done all those feats.

"I did, and then I got fired," Bonds told a group of about 400 people in the audience. "Shame on me, huh?"

Bonds, who broke Hank Aaron's home run record with No. 756 on Aug. 7, was told last month by Giants owner Peter Magowan that he would not be brought back for a 16th season in San Francisco.

Bonds, dressed in a dark suit jacket and tie, entered to a roaring standing ovation and four times was introduced to loud applause from an adoring crowd. They chanted, "Barry! Barry!" One person hollered, "We love you." Others took pictures of the seven-time NL MVP on cell phone cameras.

Yes, this was a glorified pep rally in a swanky downtown San Francisco hotel - for a star baseball player who didn't even stick around when his team paid tribute to him with a video presentation during the final home game of the year. Outside the ballroom where he spoke, Game 1 of the World Series between the Red Sox and Rockies at Fenway Park showed on a TV.

When Taliaferro asked about Bonds' many splash-hit home runs, the slugger replied, "They call it McCovey Cove, but I've rewritten it a little bit."

That part of San Francisco Bay beyond the right field arcade of the Giants' waterfront ballpark is named for Hall of Famer Willie McCovey.

Bonds, who just completed his 22nd major league season, has 762 career homers.

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #688 on: October 25, 2007, 03:36:03 PM »

LOOKS LIKE DONNIE BASEBALL IS GONNA LAND THE GIG ...............

Hearing on ESPN that the Yanks have contacted the Commissioner's office to see if they can announce tomorrow
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #689 on: October 25, 2007, 08:06:34 PM »

Hearing on ESPN that the Yanks have contacted the Commissioner's office to see if they can announce tomorrow

No surprise there really i expected Mattingly to get it. Now who takes his current job? It looks like Girardi could have a chance to manage the dodgers so he might be out as possible bench coach. I personally would love to see Paul O'Neill get the job.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #690 on: October 26, 2007, 01:32:28 AM »

No surprise there really i expected Mattingly to get it. Now who takes his current job? It looks like Girardi could have a chance to manage the dodgers so he might be out as possible bench coach. I personally would love to see Paul O'Neill get the job.

Girardi being bench coach behind Mattingly is a bit of an insult.  He has experience managing.  Mattingly doesn't.  I'm surprised Girardi didn't get the gig, to be honest. 

And Paul O'Neill failed to hit two homers, despite Kramer's promise to the kid in the hospital...so that's a no.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #691 on: October 26, 2007, 01:37:29 AM »

Girardi being bench coach behind Mattingly is a bit of an insult.  He has experience managing.  Mattingly doesn't.  I'm surprised Girardi didn't get the gig, to be honest. 

And Paul O'Neill failed to hit two homers, despite Kramer's promise to the kid in the hospital...so that's a no.

What the hell does that have to do with him being a good coach or not? I mean it sucks that the promise wasn't able to be kept but hitting a homerun is hard enough never mind hitting two. You can't fault a guy for not being able to do what's probably the hardest thing to do in sports hit homeruns.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #692 on: October 26, 2007, 01:40:13 AM »

What the hell does that have to do with him being a good coach or not? I mean it sucks that the promise wasn't able to be kept but hitting a homerun is hard enough never mind hitting two. You can't fault a guy for not being able to do what's probably the hardest thing to do in sports hit homeruns.

Look...Kramer promised the kid, because he needed to get back that birthday card autographed by the Yankees.  George's job depended on it!  And when Paul's in-the-park HR was called a triple and an error...that really threw a wrench into the plan!  I'm not saying he's a bad guy, but not hitting a second homer was a serious lapse in judgment.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #693 on: October 26, 2007, 01:46:44 AM »

Look...Kramer promised the kid, because he needed to get back that birthday card autographed by the Yankees.  George's job depended on it!  And when Paul's in-the-park HR was called a triple and an error...that really threw a wrench into the plan!  I'm not saying he's a bad guy, but not hitting a second homer was a serious lapse in judgment.

Well lets blame the official scorer for calling it a triple and error  hihi
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #694 on: October 26, 2007, 07:53:55 AM »

Yup, looks like Donny Baseball's in....I can't say I'm surprised.

Now, the question is this:

Who will the other coaches be.  Guidry is basically gone, Bowa is pretty much gone, I'm not sure, after being passed over, that Pena stays, and with the promotion, the bench coach seat is empty, too.

It's gonna be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I don't think Tino would be the bench coach....that's typically a coaching job you're promoted into....not one that's your first coaching gig.  Ditto with Paul O'Neil.

It'll be very interesting.  Mattingly is well respected amongst the former MLB players.  It'll be interesting to see who he hires into those roles.  I think we can assume the new pitching coach will be the guy who worked with Kennedy, Chamberlain, and Hughes in the farm system (his name escapes me at the moment).  The rest.....all question marks.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 07:55:36 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #695 on: October 26, 2007, 07:55:16 AM »

Actions on Seinfeld episodes not withstanding.......usually you're not hired into the bench coach job as your first exposure to coaching.  It's a job you get promoted into.....

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #696 on: October 26, 2007, 08:01:19 AM »

Though the Rockies lost, it was nice to see a close, exciting game.

Rockies better "wake up" in Colorado, or this is going to be a very short series.

Together again,
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #697 on: October 26, 2007, 08:04:06 AM »

Yup, looks like Donny Baseball's in....I can't say I'm surprised.

Now, the question is this:

Who will the other coaches be.  Guidry is basically gone, Bowa is pretty much gone, I'm not sure, after being passed over, that Pena stays, and with the promotion, the bench coach seat is empty, too.

It's gonna be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I don't think Tino would be the bench coach....that's typically a coaching job you're promoted into....not one that's your first coaching gig.  Ditto with Paul O'Neil.

It'll be very interesting.  Mattingly is well respected amongst the former MLB players.  It'll be interesting to see who he hires into those roles.  I think we can assume the new pitching coach will be the guy who worked with Kennedy, Chamberlain, and Hughes in the farm system (his name escapes me at the moment).  The rest.....all question marks.

What makes you think Bowa is gonna leave? Pena's comments make me think he'd like to stay as a coach in some capacity. I think Guidry is definitely out and Dave Eiland in though. He did work very well with the young guys so i think that gives him the job. I really am curious about the bench coach job. You would think they'd want someone with previous managing experience to help don along but whoknows.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #698 on: October 26, 2007, 08:05:57 AM »

Actions on Seinfeld episodes not withstanding.......usually you're not hired into the bench coach job as your first exposure to coaching.  It's a job you get promoted into.....

Thats true, Maybe Pena steps into bench coach and O'Neill takes Pena's current position.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #699 on: October 26, 2007, 08:28:24 AM »

What makes you think Bowa is gonna leave? Pena's comments make me think he'd like to stay as a coach in some capacity. I think Guidry is definitely out and Dave Eiland in though. He did work very well with the young guys so i think that gives him the job. I really am curious about the bench coach job. You would think they'd want someone with previous managing experience to help don along but whoknows.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3072979

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=mlb&id=3074828

Because all reports are that he's going to go to the M's.

On Pena...I'm not sure after interviewing for the job, and not getting it, that he'd want to stay around.  Maybe, maybe not.  The same reason Girardi would likely not take a Bench coach job UNDER Mattingly.

Together again,
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: