Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 02:31:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228492 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206308 times)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #660 on: October 23, 2007, 12:15:12 AM »

One huge advantage the NL ALWAYS has is taking the DH away in the NL parks.  The Sox are gonna have to sit Youkilis I would guess at Colorado and he hit .500 in the LCS.  Or they could sit Lowell, who was their team MVP.  Or sit Ortiz, which obviously is NOT an option.  If they wanna get crazy they could put Youk in LF, switch Manny to RF, and sit Drew, but I doubt they'll go that route.  That is a huge advantage to the Rockies in the series.

True, but it's a disadvantage to the Rox in Boston, where their DH (#1 guy off the bench) obviously isn't the caliber of Ortiz.

It's unfortunate that we persist with the DH rule, as it really confuses the game.  Get rid of it (ideally) or let both leagues use it, but different rules for different leagues is silly.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #661 on: October 23, 2007, 10:17:07 AM »

I'm picking the Sox to win.

Why, you ask?

Because I've picked them to lose the first 2 rounds....so I figure I'll either be right OR they'll lose.

Win, win.   beer

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #662 on: October 23, 2007, 10:24:33 AM »

The Rockies are going to push this thing to a 7th game

They'll struggle the first 2, but Boston throwing Dice-K and Wakefield in Colorado is going to let the Rocks right back into the series ok

What the hell,,,, Rockies in 7!
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #663 on: October 23, 2007, 06:52:54 PM »

Wakefield isn't on the WS Roster. So looks like Beckett will be throwing games 1-4-7(if needed)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #664 on: October 23, 2007, 07:56:14 PM »

I'll take the rocks in 7. Wow i wonder if that will come back to bite boston. He hasn't pitched on short rest in quite awhile has he?
sandman
Legend

« Reply #665 on: October 23, 2007, 08:11:55 PM »

Wakefield isn't on the WS Roster. So looks like Beckett will be throwing games 1-4-7(if needed)

there's no way they will go into the series planning to do that. they didn't do it against the indians when they were down 2-1, and they would have had beckett ready for game 7 on his usual 4 days rest.

another big question is who will the red sox sit in games 3, 4 and 5? taking ortiz out of the lineup is a huge loss, but putting him in the field somewhere could be a disaster.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #666 on: October 23, 2007, 08:27:49 PM »

I'm thinking the Sox will put Ortiz at 1st, keep Lowell at 3rd, move Youk into RF, Drew in CF, keep Manny in LF.

The Good thing about keeping Wakefield out of the Series is not having to worry about shifting the people above and pulling Varitek out for Maribelli for one game.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #667 on: October 23, 2007, 08:29:31 PM »

another big question is who will the red sox sit in games 3, 4 and 5? taking ortiz out of the lineup is a huge loss, but putting him in the field somewhere could be a disaster.

Those kinds of decisions give AL "managers" headaches.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #668 on: October 23, 2007, 09:08:41 PM »

And just think if there were no DH the manager would be used to doing this all year and know what would work best already and not have to figure it out in a 7 game series.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #669 on: October 23, 2007, 10:01:25 PM »

I'm thinking the Sox will put Ortiz at 1st, keep Lowell at 3rd, move Youk into RF, Drew in CF, keep Manny in LF.

The Good thing about keeping Wakefield out of the Series is not having to worry about shifting the people above and pulling Varitek out for Maribelli for one game.

I don't know if you'd want that far below average OF in a very spacious Coors Field.  2 slow guys playing the corners.  I think the Rockies would set the record for triples if that was the case.  That would be the best OFFENSIVE lineup, but it takes a little defense to win these games as well.  Ortiz will play 1B, he's not THAT BAD on defense.  He'll more than make up for any lack of defense with his bat.  I would think they'd rotate Lowell/Youk at 3B, depending on how the 2 do at Fenway.  If Youk continues to hit .500 he'd probably get the nod for game 3.  There's a lot of double switches in NL games so just because one doesn't start they could always be brought in in the middle innings, then you have gold glove caliber Coco Crisp to replace someone in the OF.

I think starting Beckett in games 1,4, and 7 would be a possibility, but I would think the plan would be to have Lester go one of the games.  Even if Beckett were to pitch 3 games they'd still need Lester to pitch because you're not gonna use Schilling OR Dice K on short rest.  The question is if any of the pitchers have an advantage to pitching at Coors.  I remember Derek Lowe pitched a gem there a couple years back.  Apparently the thin air had little effect on the sinker.  I really think the elements are overblown.  I would think they'd stick with Beckett, Schill, Dice K, and Lester.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #670 on: October 24, 2007, 07:12:38 AM »

They'll give the ball to Lester, unless it's an elimination game.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #671 on: October 24, 2007, 07:14:26 AM »

And just think if there were no DH the manager would be used to doing this all year and know what would work best already and not have to figure it out in a 7 game series.

And players like Ortiz, Giambi, and others would likely have their careers end much earlier.

Whether you think that's good or bad is another question.....

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #672 on: October 24, 2007, 08:38:46 AM »

I find it a little strange that the Sox chose Kyle Snyder to take the roster spot of Wakefield instead of Julian Tavarez.  He's got post-season experience, was their 5th starter for much of the season, and is a sinkerball pitcher which don't seem to be effected by the thin air.  I'm sure the Sox did their homework and have valid reasons for the move, I just can't see it myself.  Maybe Tavarez has bad #'s against the Rox from his time in the NL, I'll have to check that out.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #673 on: October 24, 2007, 03:20:00 PM »

Red Sox in 5.

i like the Red Sox experience, the clutch hitting, momentum, and starting pitching.

if this series started 6 days ago, i would have picked the rockies in 5 or 6. that's just too long a break. i hope i am wrong and they keep the momentum going. they have a great lineup, they are awesome defensively, solid SP and a great bullpen.   

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
COMAMOTIVE
Legend

At least there's a reaction

« Reply #674 on: October 24, 2007, 03:23:56 PM »

If I actually watch the Boston Redsox win their 2nd World Series in the last 4 years, then I might actually have hope for a Chinese Democracy release date sometime soon
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #675 on: October 24, 2007, 06:48:21 PM »

If I actually watch the Boston Redsox win their 2nd World Series in the last 4 years, then I might actually have hope for a Chinese Democracy release date sometime soon
Unfortunately I think we might have to wait for the Cubs to win a World Series before Chinese Democracy is released.

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #676 on: October 24, 2007, 07:30:22 PM »

Unfortunately I think we might have to wait for the Cubs to win a World Series before Chinese Democracy is released.

Next year, then?

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #677 on: October 24, 2007, 07:57:44 PM »

And players like Ortiz, Giambi, and others would likely have their careers end much earlier.

Whether you think that's good or bad is another question.....
True but i still think it would make things more interesting.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #678 on: October 24, 2007, 11:31:16 PM »

Colorado had better shake off the rust quick, or this Series is going to be ugly.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #679 on: October 24, 2007, 11:42:27 PM »

Colorado had better shake off the rust quick, or this Series is going to be ugly.

I just want good, entertaining games.  This sucks, so far.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: