Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 12:26:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228492 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206199 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #640 on: October 20, 2007, 07:47:04 PM »

If it ends up indians rockies i think it would be a great series.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #641 on: October 22, 2007, 12:25:54 AM »

Unfortunately, the Sox advance to the WS.

I'll say this for the third time...

GO ROCKIES!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #642 on: October 22, 2007, 12:37:41 AM »

I saw the back-to-back-to-back homers at work, it was amazing.

Stick a fork in the Sox, 'cuz they're done.? My prediction from the start came true.
Not so fast Larry.  You might wanna take that fork back and stick it somewhere else, cuz apparently the Sox are far from done.  Nice try though, maybe wait till things are a little more certain next time.  Just a suggestion.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #643 on: October 22, 2007, 12:57:40 AM »

Unfortunately, the Sox advance to the WS.

I'll say this for the third time...

GO ROCKIES!

Finally something you and i can agree on!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #644 on: October 22, 2007, 12:58:49 AM »

Ok so who does everyone like in the series? I like the rockies for obvious reasons. I really wonder how well they will play after sitting around for so long.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #645 on: October 22, 2007, 01:02:36 AM »

I saw the back-to-back-to-back homers at work, it was amazing.

Stick a fork in the Sox, 'cuz they're done.? My prediction from the start came true.
Not so fast Larry.? You might wanna take that fork back and stick it somewhere else, cuz apparently the Sox are far from done.? Nice try though, maybe wait till things are a little more certain next time.? Just a suggestion.

It was wishful thinking.  hihi

Hate to say this, but they know how to face elimination and come out on top.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #646 on: October 22, 2007, 01:31:32 AM »

Ok so who does everyone like in the series? I like the rockies for obvious reasons. I really wonder how well they will play after sitting around for so long.

Hottest Team vs. Best Team, so it should make for an interesting series.

The Rox have won so many ways, I just don't know what to think.  When I thought Brandon Webb would beat them, they got great pitching from Francis, and beat Webb.  When I thought Philly would score some runs, they silence some potent bats.  Every game, there's a reason for them to lose, and it will be no different when they (I'm assuming) face Beckett in that opening game.  But every game, the find a way to win. 

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #647 on: October 22, 2007, 03:12:07 AM »

Hottest Team vs. Best Team, so it should make for an interesting series.

The Rox have won so many ways, I just don't know what to think.  When I thought Brandon Webb would beat them, they got great pitching from Francis, and beat Webb.  When I thought Philly would score some runs, they silence some potent bats.  Every game, there's a reason for them to lose, and it will be no different when they (I'm assuming) face Beckett in that opening game.  But every game, the find a way to win. 

Yep no matter what they find a way. They actually remind me a lot of the 96 yankess. That team just found ways to come back and win. I just hope its a good close series.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #648 on: October 22, 2007, 09:21:16 AM »

The Rockies have been scary good down the stretch.  Hopefully that little layoff will slow them down a bit.  Mix in some Josh Beckett and maybe that's a good strategy on how to beat them.  Good hitting team, great fielding team, getting good pitching down the stretch.  They've got it all.  Should be a good series.  I'm just glad I don't have to see those damn white towels being waved around in Cleveland anymore.  Why do these teams feel they need to come out with such gimmicks?  You'd never see that at Fenway or Yankee Stadium.  What do they do there in Colorado?  I'm sure they've got some sort of crazy props.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #649 on: October 22, 2007, 10:21:29 AM »

Sox in 5.

rockies had too much rest.

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #650 on: October 22, 2007, 10:29:08 AM »

If you didn't know about the MVP caliber season that Matt Holliday was having, then you're not a rabid baseball fan.? Period.

I'm not a rabid baseball fan and I didn't know about Holliday... so I guess that supports your point... but, I would just comment that it's not that surprising that he would go under the radar because in the past a lot of guys who were not exactly Hall-of-Famers have put up ridiculous numbers playing in Colorado.

Too bad for Cleveland, it seems like everyone on the team was hitting well during the series except for Travis Hafner, who suddenly turned into Unfrozen Caveman Baseball Player ("... this game scares and confuses me.")

I'll pick the Sox in a sweep.
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #651 on: October 22, 2007, 01:19:07 PM »

Granted Colorado is hot, but they were hot in what amounts to AAAA. Philly and Arizona aren't exactly the Boston Red Sox, and the three game June series (that Colorado took 2 out of 3 against the Sox) isn't exactly the World Series.

When the pressure raises this is another young team that I think will fold like Clevland's "green" pitching staff.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #652 on: October 22, 2007, 02:13:32 PM »

If you didn't know about the MVP caliber season that Matt Holliday was having, then you're not a rabid baseball fan.  Period.

I'm not a rabid baseball fan and I didn't know about Holliday... so I guess that supports your point... but, I would just comment that it's not that surprising that he would go under the radar because in the past a lot of guys who were not exactly Hall-of-Famers have put up ridiculous numbers playing in Colorado.

True before the Humidor went into Coors field.....

.....not true, really, since then.

It's not nearly the offensively friendly park that it used to be.   I questioned the installation of the Humidor when they put it in, figuring it would have zero effect.  But it's hard to look at the numbers and think that, now.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #653 on: October 22, 2007, 02:14:35 PM »

If you didn't know about the MVP caliber season that Matt Holliday was having, then you're not a rabid baseball fan.  Period.

Fair enough.  But, in his defense, he did hit .301 with 11 dingers, and 55 RBIs on the road this season.  While his home numbers were superior to those (and his road numbers are very good), a lot of players play better at home.  Colorado has a park for hitting (not just for home run hitting), but looking at those "walls" in the right fields of Fenway and Yankee Stadium, it's clear that the power numbers of any leftie playing in those parks will be elevated. 

Granted Colorado is hot, but they were hot in what amounts to AAAA. Philly and Arizona aren't exactly the Boston Red Sox, and the three game June series (that Colorado took 2 out of 3 against the Sox) isn't exactly the World Series.

When the pressure raises this is another young team that I think will fold like Clevland's "green" pitching staff.

YAWN. 

Another NE/NY bias.  Roll Eyes  Philly scored 25 more runs than Boston.  Philly hit 47 (47!) more home runs than Boston.  And, they did it without the benefit of a DH.  "AAAA" my ass.

Now, that's not to say that Colorado will continue their playoff sweep.  They've had a long layoff, so who knows if they'll still be hot?  They could fold like the Tigers did last year or they could, despite their youth, do what the Marlins did to the Yanks, in '03.   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #654 on: October 22, 2007, 03:17:57 PM »

If you didn't know about the MVP caliber season that Matt Holliday was having, then you're not a rabid baseball fan.? Period.

Fair enough.? But, in his defense, he did hit .301 with 11 dingers, and 55 RBIs on the road this season.? While his home numbers were superior to those (and his road numbers are very good), a lot of players play better at home.? Colorado has a park for hitting (not just for home run hitting), but looking at those "walls" in the right fields of Fenway and Yankee Stadium, it's clear that the power numbers of any leftie playing in those parks will be elevated.?

YAWN.?

Another NE/NY bias.? Roll Eyes? Philly scored 25 more runs than Boston.? Philly hit 47 (47!) more home runs than Boston.? And, they did it without the benefit of a DH.? "AAAA" my ass.

Now, that's not to say that Colorado will continue their playoff sweep.? They've had a long layoff, so who knows if they'll still be hot?? They could fold like the Tigers did last year or they could, despite their youth, do what the Marlins did to the Yanks, in '03.? ?

You can't tell me that there isn't a vast difference between the strength of the AL and the NL. I'll leave it at that, and save my East Coast bias for the NFL thread and discuss how No One can stop the Patriots Offense.

Also I think the experience of each team comes into play. Think about it, the Red Sox have 3 World Series MVP's (Shilling 01', Beckett 03', Manny 04') and  a ton of Post Season Experience. That to me showed in games 5-6-7 of the ALCS... When the pressure is on (although Biased) I think that Boston comes out on top and Colorado folds like a lawn chair.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #655 on: October 22, 2007, 04:26:06 PM »

You can't tell me that there isn't a vast difference between the strength of the AL and the NL. I'll leave it at that, and save my East Coast bias for the NFL thread and discuss how No One can stop the Patriots Offense.

Also I think the experience of each team comes into play. Think about it, the Red Sox have 3 World Series MVP's (Shilling 01', Beckett 03', Manny 04') and  a ton of Post Season Experience. That to me showed in games 5-6-7 of the ALCS... When the pressure is on (although Biased) I think that Boston comes out on top and Colorado folds like a lawn chair.

A fair amount of any difference comes from the AL having the two most bloated payrolls in all of professional sports, and the extra cost of paying a good DH to be on every team (considerably more, I imagine, than most NL teams' #1 guy off the bench).  Of course, it hasn't translated into World Series dominance, and that's what matters.  In the 12 years since the strike, the AL has a 7-5 advantage, but that's clearly driven by the Yankees' dominance in their run of three straight from '98-'00. 

Again, I'm not saying Colorado will win, but if you think they didn't oversome pressure in winning 14/15 to simply make the playoffs, then you're very, very mistaken.   

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #656 on: October 22, 2007, 04:28:27 PM »

it's unfortunate, but i don't think the rockies will be at their best. 8 days off is just too long. i'm thinking red sox in 5 right now.

i'm guessing alot of red sox fans haven't seen the rockies play this year. why would they lower themselves and watch a AAAA team anyway?

and if the rockies haven't cooled off, those fans are in for a big surprise.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #657 on: October 22, 2007, 07:34:01 PM »

The Rockies have been scary good down the stretch.  Hopefully that little layoff will slow them down a bit.  Mix in some Josh Beckett and maybe that's a good strategy on how to beat them.  Good hitting team, great fielding team, getting good pitching down the stretch.  They've got it all.  Should be a good series.  I'm just glad I don't have to see those damn white towels being waved around in Cleveland anymore.  Why do these teams feel they need to come out with such gimmicks?  You'd never see that at Fenway or Yankee Stadium.  What do they do there in Colorado?  I'm sure they've got some sort of crazy props.

I hear ya about the stupid gimmicks. None are more annoying then that stupid tomahawk chop atlanta does. I wonder if the people who do that realize how dumb they look?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #658 on: October 22, 2007, 08:58:40 PM »

Not to take anything away from the Rockies, what they've done the past month or so is truly amazing, BUT C0ma does have a valid point.  The Phillies pitching was TERRIBLE this year.  The D'backs hitting was TERRIBLE this year.  That you can't deny.  The Sox at the very least are A LOT more balanced than either of those teams.  Neither the Phils or the D'backs are equal to the Sox.  Not even close.  Now I'm not saying the Sox are gonna roll in the series.  I do believe they'll win (biased opinion of course), based on their experience and home field advantage among other things.  But it should be a good series.  If the Rockies can somehow win game 1 against Beckett that could be a huge blow to the Sox.  Although with that being said, it doesn't seem like you can faze the Sox or shake their confidence. 

One huge advantage the NL ALWAYS has is taking the DH away in the NL parks.  The Sox are gonna have to sit Youkilis I would guess at Colorado and he hit .500 in the LCS.  Or they could sit Lowell, who was their team MVP.  Or sit Ortiz, which obviously is NOT an option.  If they wanna get crazy they could put Youk in LF, switch Manny to RF, and sit Drew, but I doubt they'll go that route.  That is a huge advantage to the Rockies in the series.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #659 on: October 22, 2007, 09:17:17 PM »

obviously, the phils and arizona are not the Sox. but sports is never that simple.

the better way of looking at it is this....are the Rockies as good as the Indians?

i think they are very similar teams, and the Indians had the Sox down 3-1 and took them to 7 games.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: