Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 06:38:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 205982 times)
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #500 on: October 04, 2007, 03:14:12 AM »

I'm happy for the Rockies.

It's gonna be tough for the Phils over at Coors this upcoming weekend.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #501 on: October 04, 2007, 07:47:57 AM »

I was suprised, in different ways, by the Phillies game and the Cubs game.  The Sox game went pretty much how I expected.

The Phililes game...I didn't expect Colorado to look so sharp.  After the 13 inning, bullpen (and emotional) draining win on Monday, I expected there to be some let down.  There wasn't.  Their pitching was pretty amazing.....and seeing Rollins, Howard, and Utley ALL go hitless was surprising.

The Cubs game made me scratch my head.  Pinella must be smoking some good shit because pulling Zambrano after 6 innings, and 86 pitches, might go down as one of the worst post season decisions ever made.  I KNOW he wants to bring him back on short rest for game 4, but...it's a short series.  You lose game one....and there might not be a game 4 to bring him back for.  He was pitching lights out.  I don't care HOW much confidence you have in your bullpen, you don't pull a starter who's given up 1 run and thrown 86 pitches in 6 innings unless he's hurt (and in the post game, Zambrano said he was fine...it was Pinella's decision).  And to add to all that WHY, if you're gonna pull Zambrano, do you let him BAT in the 6th with the bases loaded?  I don't care if he DID hit a double earlier.....you play the averages on this one.  The whole fiasco just made zero sense to me.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #502 on: October 04, 2007, 08:15:02 AM »

What an absolutely dominate performance Beckett just had. Wow!
Yeah he sure was dominant.? Not the best lineup ever assembled that he went up against, but nonetheless.? Figgins got to 3rd base in the first and that's the closest the Angels came to scoring.? The Sox lineup is healthy again too, just in time.? Interesting to see how Dice K responds in game 2.? I like Schilling over Weaver in game 3, just based on experience alone.? Of course both teams play a lot better at home so that may neutralize any pitching advantage.? Just glad the Sox have home field advantage.

Didn't get to see the Phils/Rockies game but watch out for those Rockies.? As hot as the Phils were to end the season, the Rockies were even hotter.? Team playing without any fear it seems, they're dangerous.? Should be a good series though, I could easily see it going 5.? As for Cubs/D'backs, ruled by pitching so far as advertised (1-1 in 7th).? I don't really see how the D'backs get it done, but somehow they do.? I like the Cubs in that series.

It gave me flashbacks to game 6 of the 03 world series. He kicked our ass in that game plain and simple. I'm not so sure about the cubs winning their series though.
Yeah, the D'backs are a weird team.  Aside from Brandon Webb and their bullpen their pitching is okay.  Their offense is among the worst in the NL.  I guess they must win a lot of close games, like last night. 

Tribe/Yanks tonight.  I don't hear ANYONE giving the Indians a chance in the series and I'm surprised by that.  They won 96 games in a pretty tough division, they're great at home, have a tough young lineup, and a solid tandem of Sabathia and Carmona.  Interesting to note that Sabathia hasn't faced the Yanks since 2003, could be a feeling out process early on.  Although Jeter and A-Rod have ridiculous numbers against him, but CC has matured over the years.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #503 on: October 04, 2007, 08:23:17 AM »

Tribe/Yanks tonight.  I don't hear ANYONE giving the Indians a chance in the series and I'm surprised by that.  They won 96 games in a pretty tough division, they're great at home, have a tough young lineup, and a solid tandem of Sabathia and Carmona.  Interesting to note that Sabathia hasn't faced the Yanks since 2003, could be a feeling out process early on.  Although Jeter and A-Rod have ridiculous numbers against him, but CC has matured over the years.

It's funny....everywhere I look, all I see is people picking the Tribe to win.  7 of the 10 ESPN analysts pick Cleveland in their online capsule, MSNBC picked 'em, CnnSI has a majority of analyst picking them....it seems like everyone has counted the Yanks out based on Sabathia and Carmona.  I'm in the COMPLETE opposite perspective from you...I can't believe anyone could discount the Yanks line up that much AND not realize that while Wang isn't a "sexy stats" pitcher, he's got just as many wins as Sabathia does.  Not to mention....they Yanks have been the best team in baseball...by A LOT...since the end of May.

It's a tough series to pick...but I think we'll have a LOT of answers tonight.  If the Yanks beat up Sabathia tonight....Cleveland is in trouble.  If the tribe can win game one, and make the yankee hitters be less patient at the plate because they feel "desparate" (which is pretty much what the Tigers did last year to beat them)...it could be ugly for the Yanks.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #504 on: October 04, 2007, 09:53:24 AM »

Tribe/Yanks tonight.? I don't hear ANYONE giving the Indians a chance in the series and I'm surprised by that.? They won 96 games in a pretty tough division, they're great at home, have a tough young lineup, and a solid tandem of Sabathia and Carmona.? Interesting to note that Sabathia hasn't faced the Yanks since 2003, could be a feeling out process early on.? Although Jeter and A-Rod have ridiculous numbers against him, but CC has matured over the years.

It's funny....everywhere I look, all I see is people picking the Tribe to win.? 7 of the 10 ESPN analysts pick Cleveland in their online capsule, MSNBC picked 'em, CnnSI has a majority of analyst picking them....it seems like everyone has counted the Yanks out based on Sabathia and Carmona.? I'm in the COMPLETE opposite perspective from you...I can't believe anyone could discount the Yanks line up that much AND not realize that while Wang isn't a "sexy stats" pitcher, he's got just as many wins as Sabathia does.? Not to mention....they Yanks have been the best team in baseball...by A LOT...since the end of May.

It's a tough series to pick...but I think we'll have a LOT of answers tonight.? If the Yanks beat up Sabathia tonight....Cleveland is in trouble.? If the tribe can win game one, and make the yankee hitters be less patient at the plate because they feel "desparate" (which is pretty much what the Tigers did last year to beat them)...it could be ugly for the Yanks.
We must be looking in different places I guess.  I would like to pick the Tribe to win the series but I think they're bullpen (especially Borowski) could be a detriment.  And if Joba continues to pitch the way he has that makes a BAD Yankee bullpen, very good.  That could be the difference in the series.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #505 on: October 05, 2007, 02:51:12 AM »

Massacre at Jacobs.

I didn't see that coming at all.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #506 on: October 05, 2007, 03:29:05 AM »

Massacre at Jacobs.

I didn't see that coming at all.

Me either but history shows its could be a good thing. Every time the yankees have lost games one of a division series under torre they've gone on to win the series. When they've won the first they've lost all but two and that was in 98 and 99 when they just beat the hell out of the crappy rangers.
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #507 on: October 05, 2007, 03:33:53 AM »

And the Angels in 2002.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #508 on: October 05, 2007, 08:43:48 AM »

If anything good comes out of the game, it's that we seemed to handled Sebathia just fine.  Of course, on the flip side, we wasted a good offensive effort against him.

But anyone watching the game knew Wang's sinker wasn't sinking last night...Joe should have pulled him early (like in the 3rd) and gone to Kennedy or Hughes for long relief.

Once the yanks had close the gap to 4-3, I thought we were gonna have a ballgame..but Wang just imploded.

So now Andy's gonna have to do what the Yanks picked up Andy to do: Win a big game in the playoffs.

Together again,
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #509 on: October 05, 2007, 09:01:09 AM »

If anything good comes out of the game, it's that we seemed to handled Sebathia just fine.? Of course, on the flip side, we wasted a good offensive effort against him.

But anyone watching the game knew Wang's sinker wasn't sinking last night...Joe should have pulled him early (like in the 3rd) and gone to Kennedy or Hughes for long relief.

Once the yanks had close the gap to 4-3, I thought we were gonna have a ballgame..but Wang just imploded.

So now Andy's gonna have to do what the Yanks picked up Andy to do: Win a big game in the playoffs.
Pettitte was Mr. Game 2 in his first go-round with the Yanks.  They'd always lose game 1 and he'd ALWAYS win game 2 it seemed.  We'll see what happens.  Certainly not a good sign when you give up 12 runs with your ace on the hill though.  Then again, it is only one game.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #510 on: October 05, 2007, 10:58:23 AM »

the rockies look solid. just red hot. there may be something VERY special going on with this team.

Manuel made a huge mistake (actually a few mistakes) in the 4th when he took Kendrick out. and it's easy to second guess, but the vast majority of fans booed the move when it happened. kendrick has gotten out of trouble in many of his 15 starts or so. and like many pitchers, he usually settles down and gets through a couple more innings unscathed.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #511 on: October 05, 2007, 11:44:56 AM »

Damn it, Cubs.

But I'm not surprised, historically, as they seem to perennially struggle against Arizona, regardless of the quality of the two teams.  3-3 is about the best they seem to do in the season series...I dunno, must be something about that stadium or the heat or something.  They just don't play well, there.

Of course, to add insult to injury, the CHC/ARZ series must have drawn the worst announcing pair that TBS could find.  I can't tell you how many times they've said "Ojeda, the former Cub, looking for some vengeance."  First, it's not as if he was a Cub last year...he last was in 2003.  Second, I seriously doubt he wants vengeance against a team that first called him up, and gave him a chance.  If he does, then he's a serious asshole.  I saw him play for the Cubs (probably in '03) and he got called up and went about 0 for 20 before finally getting a hit that year.  And you know what?  The fans were fucking AWESOME to him.  They cheered for him every game and every at bat, wanting him to get that hit.  Anyway, I'm glad to see he's having more success now than he did those four (very short, got called up for whatever reason) years in Chicago.  So, yeah Stockton...he's "looking for vengeance."  Roll Eyes

That said, the Cubs are playing poorly.  Not hitting all too well, and not getting the usual quality stuff from Lilly last night.  I was relived to see that Big Z can do well (really well) under the spotlight of October baseball.  If we get a good start from Rich Hill on Friday, then Z will have another shot at them on Saturday, and then all bets are off, so I'm not yet all doom n' gloom.

Lastly, in what you can feel free to call my "Angry Cubs fan rant," I'd like to address the fine people of Arizona. 
#1.) I hope you don't get splinters, from having jumped so quickly on the bandwagon.  Yeah, that's right, bitches.  I saw your annual attendance, and it wasn't pretty.  28,598/game, huh?  In a 49,000 seat park?  Yeah, that means there are 20,000 seats going un-assified each game.  We all know where real baseball fans are, and they're not in Arizona.

#2.) Of course, because you're bandwagoners, your team was a bit concerned.  The Cubs fans travel well, and are much louder than you, so your team (and this really has to be the idea of an inbred intern) decided to combat their chants of "Let's go Cubbies!" with a scoreboard that flashes "Beat the Cubs."  Whomever runs your in-house noise machine was also quick to jump in, by providing the necessary beats to create a "Let's go D-Backs" cheer.  Good idea, in principle.  The obvious problem being that, because the (I'm guessing) 10,000 Cubs fans in your park are louder than the 40,000 Dbacks fans, it creates a combined cheer of "Let's go SJKLHREKJNBC!" 

#3.) Diamondbacks fans, I'm a little bit scared of the way you're trying to emasculate this sport.  Piece of evidence: pom-poms.  The Dbacks have distributed pom-poms to their fans.  Now, I'm not against the giving of items, to fans, that allow them to show their support.  When the Angels, in 2002, gave away Thundersticks and created the rally monkey, I was for it, even though thundersticks are, essentially, a way to combat a lack of fan noise (wouldn't need those in CHC, STL, NYY, or BOS).  When the Steelers began their "Terrible Towel" trend, I was for it.  After all, there are many manly things to be done with a towel...wiping your opponents blood from your hands, taking part in locker-room horseplay, or tossing it to your lady-friend in that special, post-coital "wipe up and get out" kind of way.  But pom-poms?  Pom-Poms!  Sadly, this castration of baseball was exacerbated when I was forced to turn to my wife and ask "Are they playing N'Sync?"  "No," she replied, "it's Backstreet Boys."

What.

The.

Fuck.

There is no place for boy bands in baseball!  When Trevor Hoffman comes in to "Hells Bells," do you think he's really singing some Backstreet Boys in his head?  When Mariano Rivera comes in to "Enter Sandman," do you think he's wishing for some N'Sync?  When Gagne comes in to "Welcome to the Jungle," do you think he's pining for some 98 Degrees?

NO!  Please stop it.  Please.  Thank you.

the rockies look solid. just red hot. there may be something VERY special going on with this team. 

I thought they'd be a bit worn down, but that was clearly a mistake.  They might just sweep into the World Series, the way they're playing.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #512 on: October 05, 2007, 12:30:49 PM »

people are saying torre's job is on the line, depending on how far the yanks go. that actually surprises me after keeping the team together and getting back in the playoffs.

i was reading the Sports Guy's column, and saw an amazing stat:

"in 73 postseason games, the 37-year-old Rivera is 8-1 with 34 saves and a 0.80 ERA in 112.2 innings"

and this was a pretty funny comment:

"This 2007 Yankees team is right in his wheelhouse -- no loose cannons, no head cases and, most importantly, no black people. (Just kidding, I made that joke for Gary Sheffield.)"

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #513 on: October 05, 2007, 01:31:08 PM »

people are saying torre's job is on the line, depending on how far the yanks go. that actually surprises me after keeping the team together and getting back in the playoffs.

i was reading the Sports Guy's column, and saw an amazing stat:

"in 73 postseason games, the 37-year-old Rivera is 8-1 with 34 saves and a 0.80 ERA in 112.2 innings"

and this was a pretty funny comment:

"This 2007 Yankees team is right in his wheelhouse -- no loose cannons, no head cases and, most importantly, no black people. (Just kidding, I made that joke for Gary Sheffield.)"

Every once in a while, the Sports Guy says something really funny that makes me forget that he's a complete fucking homer.  I really enjoy reading the comments from his pregnant wife. rofl

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Misfits 138
Headliner

who came along for the ride???

« Reply #514 on: October 05, 2007, 05:45:01 PM »

*throws chair across the room*
DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last night started out so well with soto hitting that home run, i loved it....unfortunatly, it didnt end well, i thought we were gonna rally in the 9th last night, it all seemed to be going our way...and then Rameriz dosent do anything again. the entire team isnt playing the way they should, like only Big Z and Derosa and for a few glimpses, Soto are doing things in the series. im scared about the game tomorrow, i really really hope cubs win and Z comes back on sunday and wins agian, and then win on monday or tuesday whenever game 5 is, and beat the D-backs. i have faith we can do it, we just need to show up to the ballpark and play some damn baseball!!!! i want the cubs to wipe that friggin smug little look the entire diamondback team has.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #515 on: October 05, 2007, 07:38:38 PM »

If anything good comes out of the game, it's that we seemed to handled Sebathia just fine.  Of course, on the flip side, we wasted a good offensive effort against him.

Kennedy isn't on the ALDS roster.  We got what we needed from Pettitte tonight though. What a winner this guy is.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #516 on: October 06, 2007, 12:35:41 AM »

oh jesus, what a GLORIOUS day it was.  The fucking yankees lose in extra innings and the shitty cubbies lose as well.  Its a dream come true.  I couldn't think of two other teams i despise more.

really, FUCK THE YANKEES.  Fuck them right in the ear.  I love how they are trying to blame it on the bugs too.  hahahha how about you just FUCKING SUCK.

FUCK them, i hope they get swept.  I love how quiet the city is tonight since they lost. fucking assholes.

and the cubs, my god, how can you spend that much money and not completely dominate the comedy central.  fucking douche bags.

i love it.

BRING OUT THE BROOMS BABY!!!!

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #517 on: October 06, 2007, 01:31:34 AM »

Wow...not a single split in any series.

oh jesus, what a GLORIOUS day it was.  The fucking yankees lose in extra innings and the shitty cubbies lose as well.  Its a dream come true.  I couldn't think of two other teams i despise more.

really, FUCK THE YANKEES.  Fuck them right in the ear.  I love how they are trying to blame it on the bugs too.  hahahha how about you just FUCKING SUCK.

FUCK them, i hope they get swept.  I love how quiet the city is tonight since they lost. fucking assholes.

and the cubs, my god, how can you spend that much money and not completely dominate the comedy central.  fucking douche bags.

i love it.

BRING OUT THE BROOMS BABY!!!!

Are you drunk?  Normally I agree with you quite a bit, but since you're talking shit and being an asshole, which I've never seen from you before, I have to ask.  ok

Anyway, the Cubs did WIN the Central, so I'm not sure what the problem is there.     

I took a look back through the thread and found your other post:

Here is to praying and hoping me beloved Buccos finish above .500  ok

Be even better if they can make a playoff run, but first things first...baby steps Wink

How'd that work out for ya?  rofl

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #518 on: October 06, 2007, 01:40:09 AM »

Manny hit an absolute bomb to put the Sox up 2-0, off to Anaheim.  Angels picked their poison by walking Ortiz, and they lost.  Dice K did not look very good, should've given up more than 3 runs really.  But the bullpen was great.  Best bullpen in the AL don't forget.  Angels are reeling, with injuries and such.  Maybe some home cooking can get them going, but it might be too late.

And we found out what it takes to get to Joba.  Bugs!!!  He was flustered with those pesty bugs.  They were all over him.  It is a lame excuse, but that had to be annoying.  I hate it when ONE bug is flying around in my face bothering me, never mind 100.

We'll see what happens when we change venues.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #519 on: October 06, 2007, 02:13:57 AM »

Manny hit an absolute bomb to put the Sox up 2-0, off to Anaheim.  Angels picked their poison by walking Ortiz, and they lost.  Dice K did not look very good, should've given up more than 3 runs really.  But the bullpen was great.  Best bullpen in the AL don't forget.  Angels are reeling, with injuries and such.  Maybe some home cooking can get them going, but it might be too late.

And we found out what it takes to get to Joba.  Bugs!!!  He was flustered with those pesty bugs.  They were all over him.  It is a lame excuse, but that had to be annoying.  I hate it when ONE bug is flying around in my face bothering me, never mind 100.

We'll see what happens when we change venues.

It obviously affected him he isn't that wild. It was bugging excuse the pun all the players even the indians batters. Maybe the umps should've allowed both teams to pull their players off the field for a few minutes so they'd leave. Since they say they're attracted to perspiration you'd think they'd have moved if the players left the field for a few. Its a shame to see a game decided by something other then the players on the field and i think it was tonight but oh well, just have to head to new york now and hope we can get something going. I'm just waiting to see what happens in game 3. We've had a blowout a pitcher duel all we need is a slugfest game.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: