Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 04:24:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 205817 times)
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #480 on: October 02, 2007, 01:12:14 PM »

Breaking Down the NL Playoffs

Arizona Diamondbacks
Record: 90-72
Why They're In: NL West Champions
Team Hitting:   712 Runs Scored (14th in NL)
                    .250 Batting Average (16th in NL)
Team Pitching: 4.13 ERA (4th in NL)
                    .259 Batting Average Against (4th in NL)

What it All Means: The D-backs are a very strange team.  Their offense is among the worst in the NL, while their pitching is among the best.  They're the only team to make the playoffs having scored fewer runs than were scored by their opponents.  Yet, they have the best record in the National League.  This means they win a lot of close (one or two run) ballgames. 

Philadelphia Phillies

Record: 89-73
Why They're In: NL East Champions
Team Hitting:   892 Runs (1st in NL)
                    .274 Batting Average (5th in NL)
Team Pitching: 4.73 ERA (13th in NL)
                    .276 Batting Average Against (13th in NL)

What it All Means: The Phillies can flat out hit, and they've used their hitting to overcome poor pitching.  Also, with San Diego's failure to win the Wildcard, they've avoided the NL's best pitching staff, so their offense should thrive.They're also a very hot team, right now, winning seven of ten, and riding high after a dramatic comeback to win the division. 

Chicago Cubs
Record: 85-77
Why They're In: NL Central Champions
Team Hitting:    752 Runs (8th in NL)
                    .271 Batting Average (7th in NL)
Team Pitching:  4.04 ERA (2nd in NL)
                    .246 Batting Average Against (1st in NL)

What it All Means: With San Diego's loss, and despite the presence of Brandon Webb on Arizona's staff, the Cubs have the best all around pitching in the NL playoffs, and an offense that can compete, despite underperforming for the first few months of the year. 

Colorado Rockies
Record: 90-73
Why They're In: NL Wildcard Winner
Team Hitting:     860 Runs (2nd in NL)
                     .280 Batting Average (1st in NL)
Team Pitching:   4.32 ERA (8th in NL)
                     .266 Batting Average Against (8th in NL)

What it All Means: The Rockies can hit with the best of 'em, and have enough pitching to get by.  And, winning fourteen of fifteen to simply make the playoffs, they're by far the hottest team in MLB.   

NL Playoff Standings:
Hitting: 1st: Philadelphia; 2nd: Colorado; 3rd: Chicago; 4th: Arizona
Pitching: 1st: Chicago; 2nd: Arizona; 3rd: Colorado; 4th: Philadelphia

Implications For the Playoffs:

Philadelphia vs. Colorado:
The two hottest and highest scoring teams, with team batting averages within .006 of each other, face off in what is sure to be a power packed series.  But in a series with this much hitting, it could come down to two things: the Rockies' average pitching vs. the Phillies' poor pitching, and the extent to which the Rockies, after going 14-1 and playing an extra, play-in game, come down from their high and lose some of their momentum.  This series could very well go the full five games.

Arizona vs. Chicago: In contrast to the other NL matchup, this one features two of the better pitching teams in the NL.  The result of this series, however, will depend on a very simple question: can Arizona continue to overcome their meager hitting and win very close games?  Or, will Chicago's obvious hitting advantage make this series a mismatch?  There's no question that Arizona has lived dangerously, this season, yet they've managed to overcome, thus far.  This series could be done in three if Arizona's offense doesn't step it up, or if they get a bad start or two.  Or it could go five, if Arizona plays 'em close, as they've done all year.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #481 on: October 02, 2007, 01:25:11 PM »

never too early to drink  beer

i feel like i've been drinking for 8 days straight. 1 eagles game, 4 phils games, and a VH concert in the past 8 days. all involved big tailgates. i need a detox from all meat. i've had about 20 pork sandwiches and cheesesteaks in the last week. i have tix for game 2 thursday and am hoping to land some for tomorrow. i'm in desperate need of a veggie dip for these parties.

i stand by what i said, the majority of people want to see yanks-sox. no point in arguing it - the ratings for their first round series and second round head-to-head (if it happens) will speak for themselves.

as far as rivalries, Dallas-Skins and Maple Leafs-Canadians are big, but i don't think they are in the same league as Sox-Yanks 100+ year rivalry.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #482 on: October 02, 2007, 02:01:42 PM »

Thought you guys might like this:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=arod2007

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #483 on: October 02, 2007, 07:05:25 PM »

Some suggest for a rivalry to truly BE a rivalry, the two teams/opponents need to have had a competitive and evenly matched history.  The Yanks have 26 World Championships, and 39 Pennants, while the Red Sox have 6 and 11, respectively.  They also never met in the postseason until 1999, so the great, mythical Yanks/Sox postseason is only 9 years old (counting this postseason, to be generous). 

To be fair, the wildcard only came into existence in baseball in '94.  Prior to that, because the Yanks and Sox are in the same division (and only the division winner could go on), it would have been IMPOSSIBLE for them to meet in the post season.

In the US, in the 4 major pro team sports, I don't think I can name a "bigger" rivalry currently in existence.  There have been some that have come close in the past (Lakers/Celtics was mentioned) but I can't think of any currently.  Dallas vs the rest of the NFC, maybe. Smiley

I believe it was 95 actually. 94 was the strike season and 95 was when the wild card officially started. I remember cause the yanks won the wild card then lost to seattle in heartbreaking fashion.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #484 on: October 02, 2007, 08:21:18 PM »

Wakefield Colon Matthews Jr. all out for the first round. I wonder how much this will affect the outcome.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #485 on: October 02, 2007, 09:36:46 PM »

Wakefield Colon Matthews Jr. all out for the first round. I wonder how much this will affect the outcome.
Interesting.  Wake is out because both teams only need 3 starters with the extra days rest.  Could've used him out of the pen, but they've got better options.  No Matthews Jr. is a pretty big deal.  Great fielder, solid offensive player.  But the Angels have plenty of scrappy guys they can throw out there and not skip a beat.  Sometimes you might not know there names, but you learn them pretty quick in October.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #486 on: October 02, 2007, 10:00:28 PM »

Interesting.  Wake is out because both teams only need 3 starters with the extra days rest.  Could've used him out of the pen, but they've got better options.  No Matthews Jr. is a pretty big deal.  Great fielder, solid offensive player.  But the Angels have plenty of scrappy guys they can throw out there and not skip a beat.  Sometimes you might not know there names, but you learn them pretty quick in October.

Yeah i don't think the sox will miss wakefield much in the first round. The angels losing matthews is pretty big though. I'm not sure about colon. What kinda year did he have?
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #487 on: October 03, 2007, 07:51:58 AM »

I believe it was 95 actually. 94 was the strike season and 95 was when the wild card officially started. I remember cause the yanks won the wild card then lost to seattle in heartbreaking fashion.

We're both right. Smiley

The rule was in effect for the '94 season, and the Indians are recognized by Elias as the wild card winner for that year.  But there were no playoffs because of the strike.

The Yanks were the first wildcard winner to ACTUALLY make the playoffs.

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #488 on: October 03, 2007, 09:06:51 AM »

i can't believe the phils are hosting game 1 of the playoffs today. i've never been to an MLB playoff game before. i got tix last night so today will be a first. i'm sorta in a state of shock. plus my wife is due any day now. needless to say i'm not getting much work done.  hihi

everyone want to give their predictions?

first let me say that i hate these short 5 game series. but here we go...

rockies in 4 - similar teams, both are hot, but there seems to be something extra special going on in colorado.
arizona in 5 - arizona seems built for the playoffs
angels in 4 - sox are ready to tumble
yankees in 5 - will the yanks pitch pettite in game 5 (since there is an extra day's rest)? if the tribe do not win game 1, this could be a sweep.

i'll say arizona over the angels in a west coast WS.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #489 on: October 03, 2007, 09:43:11 AM »

Phillies in 5
Cubs in 4
Angels in 5
Yanks in 5..but I agree, if they beat up Cebathia, it's over in 3.

I, too, HATE the short series.  Cut 2 games off the regular season and make the first series best of 7.  Best of 5 means too much depends on game one, and luck, for my tastes.

Cubs beat the Phillies in 6

Yanks beat the Angels in 6

Yanks beat the Cubs in 6 when Jeffrey Maier and Steve Bartman get into a huge fight, push the foul pole 3 feet to the side, thereby allowing a 9th inning go ahead "pole wrap around"  home run by A-rod to win the game.

Together again,
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #490 on: October 03, 2007, 10:31:19 AM »

Some tough predictions, but here's my shot:

NL:
Phils in 5
Cubs in 4

AL:
Yanks in 5
Angels in 4

Yanks beat the Cubs in 6 when Jeffrey Maier and Steve Bartman get into a huge fight, push the foul pole 3 feet to the side, thereby allowing a 9th inning go ahead "pole wrap around"  home run by A-rod to win the game.

You're all wrong on the foul pole.  The Cubs will be down 2-0 to the Yanks in the Series and, for luck, Cubs fans will have a Bartman effigy, burning, hanging slightly foul, off of the left field foul pole, in their home games.  And, in the greatest reversal of fortune ever, on three consecutive days Soriano, Ramirez, and Lee will all hit walkoff homeruns off of the effigy, which the left field line judge, who has been drinking all day every day with the ghost of Harry Caray, rules is part OF the foul pole and, thus, fair.  This causes Steinbrenner's head to explode, structurally damaging Yankee Stadium, and forcing the Series to be called after five games, with the Cubs as 3-2 Champions.  And it also provides a definitive conclusion to the "Right Field Sucks vs. Left Field Sucks" debate that has raged at Wrigley for years.  The real Bartman feels an enormous weight lifted off his shoulders, yet is found eaten by wild dogs two weeks later.   

i can't believe the phils are hosting game 1 of the playoffs today. i've never been to an MLB playoff game before. i got tix last night so today will be a first. i'm sorta in a state of shock. plus my wife is due any day now. needless to say i'm not getting much work done.  hihi

Glad to see you're blowing junior's college fund on playoff tix.  hihi  Have a great time!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 10:43:32 AM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #491 on: October 03, 2007, 12:00:29 PM »

Glad to see you're blowing junior's college fund on playoff tix.? hihi? Have a great time!

Hey now! you sound like my wife!  hihi  and like i always tell her....the tix were only $20!

that's actually true for tomorrow's game (SRO tix). and today's were only $40. an absolute steal for playoff baseball - 2 games for LESS than the cost of one Eagles ticket.

but thanks, freedom!  ok

everyone enjoy the games! i'm looking forward to watching 7 hours of baseball post-game as well.

(and i meant to pick Angels over Arizona in the WS. not that it matters.)

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #492 on: October 03, 2007, 04:21:19 PM »

Glad to see you're blowing junior's college fund on playoff tix.  hihi  Have a great time!

Hey now! you sound like my wife!  hihi  and like i always tell her....the tix were only $20!

that's actually true for tomorrow's game (SRO tix). and today's were only $40. an absolute steal for playoff baseball - 2 games for LESS than the cost of one Eagles ticket.

but thanks, freedom!  ok

Man, that's a steal!   ok  You don't want to know what they're hawking the Wrigley tix for.  rant

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #493 on: October 03, 2007, 06:20:44 PM »

Tough loss, sandman.  no

Phillies just didn't hit, today. 

Angels/BoSox up next!

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #494 on: October 03, 2007, 07:19:55 PM »

Phillies in 5
Cubs in 4
Angels in 5
Yanks in 5..but I agree, if they beat up Cebathia, it's over in 3.

I, too, HATE the short series.  Cut 2 games off the regular season and make the first series best of 7.  Best of 5 means too much depends on game one, and luck, for my tastes.

Cubs beat the Phillies in 6

Yanks beat the Angels in 6

LOL that last part is funny. I still remember that player with Maier.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #495 on: October 03, 2007, 07:21:49 PM »

AL:

Yanks in 5 but less if we beat Sabathia i think.
Sox in 4

NL:

Cubs in 5
Phils in 5
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #496 on: October 03, 2007, 09:06:32 PM »

What an absolutely dominate performance Beckett just had. Wow!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #497 on: October 03, 2007, 09:57:12 PM »

Tough loss, sandman.? no

Phillies just didn't hit, today.?

Angels/BoSox up next!

yeah, tough loss.

i believe the top 4 hitter went 0-16. hamels had one rough inning, but pitched well overall. this team has to score 4+ runs to be successful. being at the game it's tough to tell if the pitching was THAT good or what. but rockies are a good team, and they got some clutch play tomorrow. i hope the phils come back and put up a fight.

i'm paying face value for these tix. on ebay the $20 tix were selling for $100-$150 and first level were $300-$500 a piece. was talking to a guy in the lot that paid $1,200 for 2 seats in row 10 behind home plate. game 2 tix are going for a little less.

faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #498 on: October 03, 2007, 11:56:36 PM »

Yeah he sure was dominant.  Not the best lineup ever assembled that he went up against, but nonetheless.  Figgins got to 3rd base in the first and that's the closest the Angels came to scoring.  The Sox lineup is healthy again too, just in time.  Interesting to see how Dice K responds in game 2.  I like Schilling over Weaver in game 3, just based on experience alone.  Of course both teams play a lot better at home so that may neutralize any pitching advantage.  Just glad the Sox have home field advantage.

Didn't get to see the Phils/Rockies game but watch out for those Rockies.  As hot as the Phils were to end the season, the Rockies were even hotter.  Team playing without any fear it seems, they're dangerous.  Should be a good series though, I could easily see it going 5.  As for Cubs/D'backs, ruled by pitching so far as advertised (1-1 in 7th).  I don't really see how the D'backs get it done, but somehow they do.  I like the Cubs in that series.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #499 on: October 04, 2007, 12:44:40 AM »

Yeah he sure was dominant.  Not the best lineup ever assembled that he went up against, but nonetheless.  Figgins got to 3rd base in the first and that's the closest the Angels came to scoring.  The Sox lineup is healthy again too, just in time.  Interesting to see how Dice K responds in game 2.  I like Schilling over Weaver in game 3, just based on experience alone.  Of course both teams play a lot better at home so that may neutralize any pitching advantage.  Just glad the Sox have home field advantage.

Didn't get to see the Phils/Rockies game but watch out for those Rockies.  As hot as the Phils were to end the season, the Rockies were even hotter.  Team playing without any fear it seems, they're dangerous.  Should be a good series though, I could easily see it going 5.  As for Cubs/D'backs, ruled by pitching so far as advertised (1-1 in 7th).  I don't really see how the D'backs get it done, but somehow they do.  I like the Cubs in that series.

It gave me flashbacks to game 6 of the 03 world series. He kicked our ass in that game plain and simple. I'm not so sure about the cubs winning their series though.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: