Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 04:24:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 205816 times)
Misfits 138
Headliner

who came along for the ride???

« Reply #420 on: September 25, 2007, 05:39:44 PM »

oooh! i dont wanna see the mets in a playoff, but i guess we will just have to bring our A game to the park when we play them, we can do it, weve done it before. i hope we do amazing in the playoffs and go to the world series, we just need fonzie to be hot, as with lee, ramierez, and zambrano. if big z hits a home run in the playoffs i will be a happy man! i like out chances better against the mets then the other teams that might make the playoffs. so heres hoping!
sandman
Legend

« Reply #421 on: September 26, 2007, 10:01:15 AM »

phils pitching let them down last night. like i said, there's only so many times a team can overcome such poor pitching. even with the best offense in the NL and two legitimate MVP candidates.

they were down 4-1 and howard hit a 2-run shot to deep center to cut the lead to 1. you knew the second he hit it that it was gone. the place was going insane - totally a playoff atmosphere. then werth tied it with a solo shot. 

5 games to go and we're down 1 in the WC and 2 in the division.

the mets are begging the phils to take the division from them. that would have been one of the worst collapses of all time. they were up 7 games in mid-september and the phils picked up 5.5 games in 7 days. they just haven't been able to get any closer.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
sandman
Legend

« Reply #422 on: September 27, 2007, 08:36:57 AM »

phils got a quality start from Lohse, and were in control the entire game.

endless MVP chants for rollins and utley, which made me realize they may split the vote and someone else will end up winning. although it probably still depends on if they make the playoffs or not.

Let's Go Mets!

Let's Go Mets!

Let's Go Mets!

rofl

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #423 on: September 27, 2007, 11:08:01 AM »

Rockies are coming on strong, with ten straight wins!  This has turned out to be a damn fine final week in the NL (unlike the fascist AL, where everything is decided).

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #424 on: September 27, 2007, 11:20:27 AM »

Rockies are coming on strong, with ten straight wins!  This has turned out to be a damn fine final week in the NL (unlike the fascist AL, where everything is decided).

Given the AL race is all but decided (with 4 left, and a 3 game lead...I don't think Boston is in ANY danger), with the only thing left to sort out being best record, I'd expect the Yanks (who's remaining games are meaningless, really, since they WON'T have the best record) will rest just about everyone over the remaining 4 games.

Boston and Cleveland....they might do the same.  Apparently Cleveland wants the "extra rest" 1st round, and Boston doesn't....so ultimately who prevails in that race, provided they can hold of the Angels (2 1/2 with 4 to play....pretty much wrapped up too), doesn't much matter either.

Looks like it'll be Boston vs LA in the "no extra rest" series and Cleveland vs NY in the "extra rest" series.

I'm just glad it looks like we don't have to face LA in the 1st round. 

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #425 on: September 27, 2007, 07:33:10 PM »

Given the AL race is all but decided (with 4 left, and a 3 game lead...I don't think Boston is in ANY danger), with the only thing left to sort out being best record, I'd expect the Yanks (who's remaining games are meaningless, really, since they WON'T have the best record) will rest just about everyone over the remaining 4 games.

Boston and Cleveland....they might do the same.  Apparently Cleveland wants the "extra rest" 1st round, and Boston doesn't....so ultimately who prevails in that race, provided they can hold of the Angels (2 1/2 with 4 to play....pretty much wrapped up too), doesn't much matter either.

Looks like it'll be Boston vs LA in the "no extra rest" series and Cleveland vs NY in the "extra rest" series.

I'm just glad it looks like we don't have to face LA in the 1st round. 

I wouldn't be so quick to say not in ANY danger. I mean this is a Boston team that got swept by Toronto last week. You never know it could happen against the twins.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #426 on: September 27, 2007, 08:49:13 PM »

I agree with Pilferk, after a little worry that the Sox would continue their collapse I think they'll wrap things up in the next couple of days.  They only have to split with the Twins, which I don't think they'll have any problem doing.  That's if the Yankees win out, which they could considering the competition, BUT I do think they'll take advantage of clinching the wild card and rest some regulars.  Of course if they win the next 2 and the Sox lose the next 2 that could change.  And yes the Sox did get swept by the Jays last week, but the Jays have played a lot better down the stretch than the Twins.  The Jays have a VERY solid home record, Twins not so good on the road, and the Sox of course play very well at home and they have some favorable pitching matchups in the series.  All signs point to an AL East title, which would be nice after such a long time looking up.  BUT, that's only one step in the journey.  It doesn't mean much if you get bounced in the first round.  The Angels seem to be stumbling a little bit down the stretch and they're getting a little banged up, will still be a very tough out though.  As for the Yanks/Tribe, NY is 6-0 against them this year.  Doesn't bode well for Cleveland, but October is a different animal.  We'll see what happens.

And the Mets continue to slide.  Wow!!!

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #427 on: September 27, 2007, 09:52:44 PM »

Well the yanks are just about to be one game closer so whoknows? Winning the division again would be nice but i really would rather face the tribe.  I know the playoffs are different but you can't ignore 6-0. The NL is completely wild absolutely nothing is decided yet and there's only 3 days left after today.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #428 on: September 28, 2007, 12:31:21 AM »

Well the yanks are just about to be one game closer so whoknows? Winning the division again would be nice but i really would rather face the tribe.  I know the playoffs are different but you can't ignore 6-0. The NL is completely wild absolutely nothing is decided yet and there's only 3 days left after today.

Isn't it fantastic?  The Mets went from sure division winners to a position where, if the Phils take the division, they Mets might not make October...not even as the wildcard (where they would currently be trailing SD by one game...tied w/ Philly and Colorado)!  I'm stunned by that.  Completely stunned. 

And if Colorado hangs on tonight (currently leading 6-3 in the 7th), they'll be two out in their division with the final three @ NL West leader Arizona, on an 11 game winning streak, and a shot at the wildcard, too.  Also stunning. 

The Cubs can't win...but neither can the Brewers!  So, over the last two days, winless Cubbies have cut their magic number from 4 to 2.  It's not looking good for the Brew Crew, as they'll have to face Maddux, Young, and possibly Peavy (if SD needs a win on the last day) to finish it out.   

Right now, I cannot even guess which NL teams will make it.  The Cubs aren't winning, but they have the biggest lead (2 games) and, as such, are probably the safest bet.  As for the East, West, and Wildcard...I haven't a clue.  This is the best final week I've ever seen (again, except in the fascist AL).  There isn't a single team in the NL that has clenched a postseason berth.  Not one! 

I'd bet almost anything that there will have to be some tiebreakers.  This is a ridiculously exciting race!  I'm going to Cincinnati tomorrow night to watch Big Z pitch for the Cubs.  They could clench, if they win and get a little help from their old friend Mad-Dog.  I'd love to see 'em clench, but the way they played in Florida... nervous   
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 12:37:16 AM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #429 on: September 28, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »

Well the yanks are just about to be one game closer so whoknows? Winning the division again would be nice but i really would rather face the tribe.? I know the playoffs are different but you can't ignore 6-0. The NL is completely wild absolutely nothing is decided yet and there's only 3 days left after today.
Even if the Yanks somehow win the AL East it's likely that their opponent will still be the Indians.  Looks like they'll avoid the Halos.  Unless they pass BOTH the Indians and the Sox for the overall best record (they're 2 back of both now).  I mean I guess it COULD happen, but unlikely.  Very anticlimactic compared to the NL situation.  That's some crazy stuff.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #430 on: September 28, 2007, 01:00:48 AM »

Even if the Yanks somehow win the AL East it's likely that their opponent will still be the Indians.  Looks like they'll avoid the Halos.  Unless they pass BOTH the Indians and the Sox for the overall best record (they're 2 back of both now).  I mean I guess it COULD happen, but unlikely.  Very anticlimactic compared to the NL situation.  That's some crazy stuff.

Thats good to know. I really want NO part of the halos no matter where we finish. They are the only team that completely owns us. Yeah that NL who wants it? No one seems to. Can't believe the mets have blown it completely. With 17 left and a 7 game lead who would've bet on this? Definitely not I.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #431 on: September 28, 2007, 07:40:33 AM »

Actually...no.

If the yanks win the AL East, they'd get the Angels, because their record is worse than Cleveland's, so Cleveland would get the wild card (Boston). 

The way it should work is this:  Best record vs wild card in one matchup, and 2 remaining teams in the other.  The exception is you can't play a wildcard team from your division, even if you have the best record.  IF you have the best record AND the wildcard team is from your division, you play the team with the "next worst" record, while the wildcard matches up with the team with the 2nd best record.

Right now, that means the Yanks get the Indians if the Tribe have the best record OR if the Sox have the best record. 

BUT, if the Yanks managed to win the AL East.....the Indians would get the Wild Card (now the Sox) and the Yanks would get the Angels.

IF the Yanks managed to win the AL East AND get the best record...they'd still get the angels (they can't play the sox, and the Angels have the "next worst" record.).
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 07:43:17 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #432 on: September 28, 2007, 07:42:38 AM »

Thats good to know. I really want NO part of the halos no matter where we finish. They are the only team that completely owns us. Yeah that NL who wants it? No one seems to. Can't believe the mets have blown it completely. With 17 left and a 7 game lead who would've bet on this? Definitely not I.

If you had told me at the AS break that the Yanks would clinch their spot before the mets did, or that there was a chance the yanks make the playoffs but the mets don't.....I would have laughed at you.

The NL East has been, through most of the season, the one "lock" race.  Right up until this past 2 weeks, that is.

So, if the mets blow it....is Randolph gone?

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #433 on: September 28, 2007, 07:43:12 AM »

the first place phils!!! damn that sounds good!

for the first time all year they control their own destiny of winning the division. watching the mets-cards score on the scoreboard at the game was as exciting as the game itself.

the problem for the phils is that after hamels goes tonight, it's eaton and then moyer pitching in the two biggest games in the last 14 years. and if we end up tied with the mets, it's Lohse on Monday in philly. so it's not looking too good. in fact, if we don't win tonight, i'd say we're toast.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #434 on: September 28, 2007, 07:45:31 AM »

for the first time all year they control their own destiny of winning the division. watching the mets-cards score on the scoreboard at the game was as exciting as the game itself.

the problem for the phils is that after hamels goes tonight, it's eaton and then moyer pitching in the two biggest games in the last 14 years. and if we end up tied with the mets, it's Lohse on Monday in philly. so it's not looking too good. in fact, if we don't win tonight, i'd say we're toast.

The way the Mets have played...you may only need to win one of 3 to win the division. Smiley

Did the Mets and Rockies switch jersies or something?

Together again,
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #435 on: September 28, 2007, 10:03:52 AM »

You sound like a Cubs fan!  Don't worry about your pitching.  If you (as in, the Phils) win or make the playoffs, it's generally in spite of your pitching, rather than because of it.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #436 on: September 28, 2007, 10:17:16 AM »

You sound like it was your team that just blew a season-long lead.? I take great exception to that, any feelings of impending doom are exclusive to Met fans right now.? Seriously, Phillies are in the driver's seat right now, they have all the momentum.

So, if the mets blow it....is Randolph gone?

Good question, I'd say he's safe.? I'm not sure he even deserves to go, he's had a few managerial blunders during this awful stretch, but nothing extraordinary.? The issue would be how responsible he is for how lifeless the Mets have looked this past month.? To me, that's on the players, not the manager.? Also, you have to blame Omar for not picking up bullpen help before the trading deadline.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #437 on: September 28, 2007, 10:25:24 AM »

I was just talking with a friend of mine about the craziness that is the NL.

There is actually a scenario where there could be a 4 way tie for the Wild card....San Diego wins 2 of 3, and the Rockies, Phillies, and Mets all win out.

You'd have a tie for the NL east and west, and a 4 way tie for the WC.

I think there would be 3 playoff games: San Diego vs Colorodo for the NL West, Mets vs Phillies for NL East, and the a "losers" matchup from those 2 games to figure out the wild card.  In the above, I don't think they'd go to the tie-breakers, would they?

You also could have a 3 way tie:  Padres, Rockies, Phillies and Mets all win out.  Padres win the NL West, but Rockies, Mets, and Phillies are all tied up.  You'd have a 1 game playoff between the Mets and Phillies for the NL East, and then a 1 game playoff between the loser of that matchup and the Rockies.  Again, I'm not sure they'd go to a tiebreaker in the above....though they might (Phillies would win the NL East, and you'd get the Mets vs Rockies for the wildcard).

Anybody know for sure what the "tiebreak" rule is....when, specifically, they use it and when they play the games.  My impression was that ANYTIME a playoff spot was in jeopardy, they go to a 1 game playoff.

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #438 on: September 28, 2007, 11:15:48 AM »

the potential playoff scenarios are insane. there could be 5 teams (phils, mets, pads, rockies, arizona) tied for 3 spots (West, East, wild card).

i tried figuring this out and i think i got it.

first, all divison winners must be decided; then the wild card.

in ties involving two teams, they play head to head with homefield determined by coin tosses that took place a few weeks ago.

in ties involving 3 teams:
teams are assigned A, B, or C based on head to head records. the team with the best record chooses to be team B or team C. and 2 games are played.
Game 1: Team A plays at Team B on Monday.
Game 2: Team C plays at the winner of game 1 on Tuesday.
so the team with the best head to head record gets to choose between playing 1 ROAD game, or 2 HOME games.

therefore, if those 5 teams are tied (phils, mets, pads, rockies, arizona):
1. Mets at phils on Monday for Division title.
2. the 3 teams in the west go through the scenerio i described above to determine the Division winner (this would be two games played on Monday and Tuesday).
3. then you have 3 teams left that go through that same scenario to determine the wild card (2 games played on Wednesday and Thursday).

so the actual playoffs wouldn't start until friday.

sandman
Legend

« Reply #439 on: September 28, 2007, 11:23:01 AM »

You sound like a Cubs fan!? Don't worry about your pitching.? If you (as in, the Phils) win or make the playoffs, it's generally in spite of your pitching, rather than because of it.

remember, philadelphia sports fans are about as tortured as Cubs fans. you could argue it either way. we've gone about 105 seasons with no championship (4 major sports teams for 25 years).

we have our hearts broken regularly. you just can't help but expect it.  hihi

i don't think Randolph deserves to be fired. but with a collapse like this, i think its fair to examine the situation. and being in NY, the fans are gonna demand someone be held responsible. if they miss the playoffs, my guess is that he's gone.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: