Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2024, 12:33:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228495 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 206706 times)
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #920 on: December 06, 2007, 06:13:54 PM »

A source says the Giants did call the Yankees about Hideki Matsui. They're offering their starting pitchers (Tim Lincecum, Matt Cain or Noah Lowry) for bats, but they are just exploring to see if there is a match. Matsui has a full no-trade clause, and it isn't known whether he would waive it to go to San Francisco or anywhere else.

If they were to obtain one of them, they could be packaged to 'redo' the Santana deal?

Lincecum/Lowry/Cain, Melky, Kennedy, PTBNL for Johan.

Sign a CF (Rowand) then put Johnny in LF.

Giambi can then DH and Phillips/Duncan/Betemit can play first.
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #921 on: December 06, 2007, 06:17:47 PM »

I don't like the Jones signing.  Why not let Ethier and Kemp fill out the outfield?

Colletti is touched in the head. 

WE NEED A THIRD BASEMAN, NOT ANOTHER OUTFIELDER!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #922 on: December 12, 2007, 11:33:24 PM »

The Mitchell Report comes out tomorrow at 2 pm.  Who's got their fingers crossed?

I'm also forced to wonder how fairly he'll treat the Red Sox, because of his affiliation with the team.

In other notes, the Cubbies lure Fukudome from Japan and non-tender Mark Prior.  Of course, now that he's not a Cub, he'll suddenly return to form, after they worked with him for years (yeah...he was good back in '03...it's been a while).  And that will make me irritated.

Oh...and the 'Stros got Miguel Tejada.  Of course, if he's in the Mitchell Report (not that I expect it) that'll put a damper on that trade.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 11:39:46 PM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #923 on: December 13, 2007, 07:31:47 AM »

Rowand went to San Fran.

For some reason I believe that many players will not be happy after today, got a feeling many press releases will be sent out by teams on their websites about this tomorrow.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #924 on: December 13, 2007, 10:34:07 AM »

Roger Clemens reportedly bought steroids according to the first leak of the Mitchell Report. Also, several 'prominent' Yankees are said to be named in the report.

We'll see.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #925 on: December 13, 2007, 11:30:20 AM »

Roger Clemens reportedly bought steroids according to the first leak of the Mitchell Report. Also, several 'prominent' Yankees are said to be named in the report.

The Clemens thing wouldn't really surprise me.  I've always debated his use, as opposed to just being older and bigger because he's out of shape.

Wonder if Sosa and Frank Thomas will make the list.

EDIT: Early reports indicate the following names may appear:

Giambi (no surprise there...isn't this already widely known?)
Damon
Garciaparra
Clemens
Pettitte

a total of 12 MVPs.

Didn't see any others.  But if this is the anti-Yanks/pro-BoSox list, it'll be highly dubious. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 12:02:54 PM by freedom78 » Logged

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #926 on: December 13, 2007, 01:44:45 PM »

The Clemens thing wouldn't really surprise me.? I've always debated his use, as opposed to just being older and bigger because he's out of shape.

Damon
Garciaparra
Clemens
Pettitte

a total of 12 MVPs.

Didn't see any others.? But if this is the anti-Yanks/pro-BoSox list, it'll be highly dubious.?
Well seeing as how Damon and Nomar played for the Sox, and probably used steroids at THAT time, I don't see how you could see it as pro Sox.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #927 on: December 13, 2007, 02:32:20 PM »

Giambi, Roger and Andy were named, not the others.

This is crazy, I truely reccomend reading the report, specifically around page 200. That is when the names start.

You can read it on MLB.com
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #928 on: December 13, 2007, 03:09:08 PM »

The Clemens thing wouldn't really surprise me.  I've always debated his use, as opposed to just being older and bigger because he's out of shape.

Damon
Garciaparra
Clemens
Pettitte

a total of 12 MVPs.

Didn't see any others.  But if this is the anti-Yanks/pro-BoSox list, it'll be highly dubious. 
Well seeing as how Damon and Nomar played for the Sox, and probably used steroids at THAT time, I don't see how you could see it as pro Sox.

Well, as they were early and, apparently, erroneous reports, then it doesn't really matter.  But you can't honestly argue that some in Red Sox nation wouldn't enjoy the idea of a prominent ex-Sox, who left the team to be a Yankee, being on that list (Damon...seriously, Bill Simmons might just mess his pants over that name). 

Anyway, kudos to the folks at CNN.com for this bombshell of a breaking news email:

-- MLB steroid report: Use widespread, includes biggest stars

Swear to God, that's all it said.  How informative.  rofl

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #929 on: December 13, 2007, 03:48:15 PM »

Was nice to see Lenny Dykstra get proper credit in the Mitchell Report as one of the first steroid pioneers.  In one off-season, the guy went from looking like David Eckstein to Mo Vaughn.  It was like an Incredible Hulk episode.

cotis
Legend

I like turtles.

« Reply #930 on: December 13, 2007, 04:01:04 PM »

NEW NAMES
Chad Allen
Mike Bell
Gary Bennett
Larry Bigbie
Kevin Brown
Alex Cabrera
Mark Carreon
Jason Christiansen
Howie Clark
Roger Clemens
Jack Cust
Brendan Donnelly
Chris Donnels
Matt Franco
Eric Gagne
Matt Herges
Phil Hiatt
Glenallen Hill
Todd Hundley
Mike Judd
David Justice
Chuck Knoblauch
Tim Laker
Mike Lansing
Paul Lo Duca
Nook Logan
Josias Manzanillo
Cody McKay
Kent Mercker
Bart Miadich
Hal Morris
Daniel Naulty
Denny Neagle
Jim Parque
Andy Pettitte
Adam Piatt
Todd Pratt
Stephen Randolph
Adam Riggs
Armando Rios
Brian Roberts
F.P. Santangelo
Mike Stanton
Ricky Stone
Miguel Tejada
Ismael Valdez
Mo Vaughn
Ron Villone
Fernando Vina
Rondell White
Jeff Williams
Todd Williams
Steve Woodard
Kevin Young
Gregg Zaun

PREVIOUSLY LINKED
Manny Alexander
Rick Ankiel
David Bell
Marvin Benard
Barry Bonds
Ricky Bones
Paul Byrd
Jose Canseco
Paxton Crawford
Lenny Dykstra
Bobby Estalella
Ryan Franklin
Jason Giambi
Jeremy Giambi
Jay Gibbons
Troy Glaus
Juan Gonzalez
Jason Grimsley
Jose Guillen
Jerry Hairston Jr.
Darren Holmes
Ryan Jorgensen
Gary Matthews Jr.
Rafael Palmeiro
John Rocker
Benito Santiago
Scott Schoeneweis
David Segui
Gary Sheffield
Randy Velarde
Matt Williams
These are all the names named in the report, previously named or new.
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #931 on: December 13, 2007, 05:25:12 PM »

I thought Clemens was pretty obvious.

He was done in Boston,Goes to Toronto and has a complete renassiance and becomes one of the greatest pitchers ever.

That just doesn't happen.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #932 on: December 13, 2007, 06:33:13 PM »

When asked where he'd look for the steroids, Selig began by stating his preference for searching anuses, and recounted a story of his college days, when he was known as "Butt" Selig.

Sorry...couldn't resist.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #933 on: December 13, 2007, 06:51:15 PM »

He was done in Boston,Goes to Toronto and has a complete renassiance and becomes one of the greatest pitchers ever.

By that logic, Dan Duquette is once and for all exonerated.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #934 on: December 13, 2007, 07:43:45 PM »

I'm not so sure about that. The way i'm understanding what the report said he didn't start until 98 with the yankees unless i'm missing something in there.
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #935 on: December 13, 2007, 07:47:46 PM »

When asked where he'd look for the steroids, Selig began by stating his preference for searching anuses, and recounted a story of his college days, when he was known as "Butt" Selig.

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Very funny...gross...but funny.   hihi 

I wonder if Knoblauch's usage started around the time he started having fielding issues. 

Clemens...I don't know the specifics, but damn if that wasn't obvious. 

Dykstra.  Ha, I remember when that happened.  This dude went from a pip-squeak to Popeye in one off-season.  It was hilarious.  MLB, what a bunch of shitbags.  Oh well, at least they're doing something about it now.

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #936 on: December 13, 2007, 10:43:15 PM »

I'm not so sure about that. The way i'm understanding what the report said he didn't start until 98 with the yankees unless i'm missing something in there.

He was in Toronto 97-98 , then when he moved to NY in 99 he had to wait untill 00 to bring his trainer with him  (he had a year left on his contract with Toronto)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #937 on: December 14, 2007, 12:39:23 AM »

Ok so maybe was using last year in Toronto then.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #938 on: December 14, 2007, 12:46:06 AM »

Interesting notes on 2 guys named today that the Red Sox acquired in the past year (Gagne/Donnely).

When the Boston Red Sox were considering acquiring Gagn?, a Red Sox official made specific inquiries about Gagn??s possible use of steroids. In a November 1, 2006 email to a Red Sox scout, general manager Theo Epstein asked, ?Have you done any digging on Gagne? I know the Dodgers think he was a steroid guy. Maybe so. What do you hear on his medical?? The scout, Mark Delpiano, responded,
"Some digging on Gagne and steroids IS the issue. Has had a checkered medical past throughout career including minor leagues. Lacks the poise and commitment to stay healthy, maintain body and re invent self. What made him a tenacious closer was the max effort plus stuff . . . Mentality without the plus weapons and without steroid help probably creates a large risk in bounce back durability and ability to throw average while allowing the changeup to play as it once did . . . Personally, durability (or lack of) will follow Gagne . . ."

Another interesting revelation in the portion of the report about Donnelly:

In considering whether to trade for Donnelly in 2007, Red Sox baseball operations personnel internally discussed concerns that Donnelly was using performance enhancing substances. In an email to vice president of player personnel Ben Charington dated December 13, 2006, Zack Scott of the Red Sox baseball operations staff wrote of Donnelly: ?He was a juice guy but his velocity hasn?t changed a lot over the years . . . If he was a juice guy, he could be a breakdown candidate.? Kyle Evans of the baseball operations staff agreed with these concerns, responding in an email that ?I haven?t heard many good things about him, w[ith] significant steroid rumors.?

I'm sure there was a lot of this going on.  Teams talking amongst each other about things they may have heard about certain players.

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #939 on: December 14, 2007, 05:18:37 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me at all about Gagne. Do we really think he was that good to have gone that long without a blown save? He is no Rivera and even he didn't go that long without a blown save combined regular season/playoffs.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: