Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 22, 2024, 06:30:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228489 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 53 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2007 Baseball Season is about to start--talk about anything you want  (Read 205942 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #540 on: October 07, 2007, 09:56:09 PM »

wow! i'm a little surprised about this, but really surprised this has come out today. the old man isn't all there.

Steinbrenner: Yankees must win or Torre likely gone  
October 7, 2007

HACKENSACK, N.J. (AP) -- George Steinbrenner says Joe Torre most likely won't return to the New York Yankees unless they overcome their deficit against the Cleveland Indians and reach the AL championship series.

"His job is on the line," the owner was quoted in Sunday's editions of The Record. "I think we're paying him a lot of money. He's the highest-paid manager in baseball, so I don't think we'd take him back if we don't win this series."

Torre was hired before the 1996 season and led the Yankees to four World Series in his first five seasons but none since. New York last reached the World Series in 2003, wasted a 3-0 lead to Boston in the 2004 ALCS, then was eliminated by the Angels and Detroit in the first round the last two years.

Cleveland led this year's best-of-five, first-round series 2-0 heading into Game 3 Sunday night.

Torre is being paid $7 million this year, the final season of his contract. 

Steinbrenner also criticized umpire Bruce Froemming for not stopping play when insects invaded the field during Game 2 in Cleveland on Friday. Rookie reliever Joba Chamberlain threw two wild pitches that allowed Cleveland to tie the game in the eighth, and the Indians went on to win 2-1 in 11 innings.

Froemming called it "just a little irritation." Steinbrenner profanely dismissed Froemming's explanation.

"He won't umpire our games anymore," Steinbrenner said.

Team owners do not direct umpiring assignments, and the 68-year-old Froemming -- the longest-tenured umpire in history -- is retiring after this season.

The Yankees complained to baseball commissioner Bud Selig.

"(Selig) just said, 'That's in the umpires' hands.' ... It was terrible. It messed up the whole team, (Derek) Jeter, all of them," Steinbrenner told the paper.

Steinbrenner also predicted Alex Rodriguez will remain with the Yankees. A-Rod has the right to opt out of the final three years of his record $252 million, 10-year contract after the World Series and become a free agent.

"I think we'll re-sign him," Steinbrenner told the paper. "I think he's going to have a good run the rest of the (postseason). I think he realizes New York is the place to be, the place to play. A lot of this (postseason) is laying on his shoulders, you know, but I think he's up to it."

The 77-year-old Steinbrenner, who has appeared to be more frail in recent years, said he will make the decisions on Torre and Rodriguez.

"I have full control," Steinbrenner said.

Steinbrenner, who has limited his public comments of late, was expected at Yankee Stadium on Sunday night.

"I haven't reached him this morning," spokesman Howard Rubenstein said. "I'm going to see him at the game."

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-yankees-torre&prov=ap&type=lgns

Sandman, I think many of us can agree that THIS guy is a true asshole. 

Seriously, Torre should tell him to shut the fuck up.  A story like this, when they're in the playoffs?  This just doesn't happen with other owners/GMs.  He's threatening his own team.  It's silly.

The bugs at the game were unreal.  It was one of those things that make baseball lore so great, and what an oddity it was. 

Anyway, I can't believe that, with a Cleveland win tonight, there'd be four opening round sweeps.  Three is still a big surprise.   

I was thinking i wouldn't be surprised if he said it to try and motivate the players. If thats the case it has worked in a big way. Its looking like no sweep in this series. I could honestly see these guys coming back and winning this series just to save their boss. These guys love joe.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 10:22:39 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #541 on: October 08, 2007, 07:54:48 AM »

Manny hit an absolute bomb to put the Sox up 2-0, off to Anaheim.  Angels picked their poison by walking Ortiz, and they lost.  Dice K did not look very good, should've given up more than 3 runs really.  But the bullpen was great.  Best bullpen in the AL don't forget.  Angels are reeling, with injuries and such.  Maybe some home cooking can get them going, but it might be too late.

And we found out what it takes to get to Joba.  Bugs!!!  He was flustered with those pesty bugs.  They were all over him.  It is a lame excuse, but that had to be annoying.  I hate it when ONE bug is flying around in my face bothering me, never mind 100.

We'll see what happens when we change venues.

It obviously affected him he isn't that wild. It was bugging excuse the pun all the players even the indians batters. Maybe the umps should've allowed both teams to pull their players off the field for a few minutes so they'd leave. Since they say they're attracted to perspiration you'd think they'd have moved if the players left the field for a few. Its a shame to see a game decided by something other then the players on the field and i think it was tonight but oh well, just have to head to new york now and hope we can get something going. I'm just waiting to see what happens in game 3. We've had a blowout a pitcher duel all we need is a slugfest game.

And that's why I hate the short series...because one fluky, screwy thing like that ends up effecting the whole series.

No bugs, and there's a pretty good chance the Yanks are up 2-1 in the series right now.

In a 7 game series, it's a footnote.  In a 5 game series, it's a headline.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #542 on: October 08, 2007, 08:03:14 AM »

Over priced babies? Yeah right ok  Roll Eyes You do realize how many young guys are on that time right? And anyone that thinks jeter, matsui posada cano cabrera arod, damon are babies is dead. Wrong they aren't making any excuses for why they aren't hitting. Oh and cleveland wasn't exactly killing the ball in game two. They couldn't get a hit with risp either for 10 innings.

See, and that's one of the things I think is so funny.  Yes, Wang imploded in game 1 and we got spanked (AFTER coming back from down 4-0 to close it to 4-3).

But game 2 wasn't exactly a whipping.  The Yanks were up 1-0 going into the EIGHTH INNING, for gods sake.  ONE wild pitch is basically the difference between the Yanks being up 2-1, and everyone crowing about them being the "chosen ones" to the current "doom and gloom" outlook.

It'll be interesting to see what happens tonight.  If Wang's sinker SINKS, and if the Yanks hit Bird (IF he really does pitch) as well as we have historically....we may actually get a game 5 out in Cleveland.  I'm not confident we will, but there's the chance.  And if it comes down to one game, all bets are off.

Oh, and I will officially cop to the fact my divisional series predictions sucked.  0-3?  I shoulda just flipped a coin.

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #543 on: October 08, 2007, 08:13:33 AM »

Mostly A-Rod, Tim.

As a player, Jeter has my utmost respect.

But that's all they are.  All that money, down the drain.  They had a press conference early in the year announcing that A-Rod and Jeter no longer have slumber parties together.

Oh joy!

I know they're your favorite team, but c'mon.  The system is fucked.

OK, I don't get it.

How is it fucked?

One wild pitch from being up 2-1.

I just don't see how they're fucked.  They won more games than any of the NL playoff teams.  Only Boston and Cleveland won more games all year.

Sounds like the system works just fine.

As for the accusation they "buy wins":  So what?  The Red Sox don't (the current media choice for best team in the playoffs)?

Everyone buys wins.  That's why it's PROFESSIONAL baseball. The Yanks have the biggest checkbook (with the Red Sox closely behind)...they also make the most money AND share the most revenue with the league.  Baseball ownership, especially in the mid markets, should be ECSTATIC that Stienbrenner keeps his payroll so high:  It means a nice chunk of revenue for them every year (which, FYI, many of them choose to pocket rather than reinvest).

If you're arguing that the Yanks methods lead to disparity in the league...well this season is the WRONG season to make that point.  It was the best season, winning % wise, for parity EVER in the modern era of baseball. No team over .600...no team under .400. It's what every fan DREAMS of seeing: Your team has a good shot at winning every day.

Add to all that the fact a good portion of the Yanks team is home grown (Posada, Jeter, Rivera, Chamberlain, Duncan, Cano, Melky, Pettite, Wang) and I'm just not sure how you can say that the Yankees "buy wins instead of build them" and make any sense.  Whatever you were drinking......switch brands.  It's damaging your brain.   hihi rofl

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #544 on: October 08, 2007, 08:18:07 AM »

wow! i'm a little surprised about this, but really surprised this has come out today. the old man isn't all there.

(Ensuing article snipped)

I'm not.  I've been a Yanks fan for about 30 years.  This is George's way of "motivating" the team.  George has always been that way, and probably always will be.  Yeah, I know....

And, unfortunately, he probably thinks it worked.  He went back to his hotel last night chuckling and thinking he inspired a "Let's win one for the Gipper" moment.

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #545 on: October 08, 2007, 09:40:31 AM »

pilferk - why the lack of confidence in your team???

1. you have one of your top starters pitching against one of their worst.

2. the yanks bats finally came alive in the playoffs.

3. they are at home.

4. they have the momentum.

i don't see how anyone can pick them to lose tonight. i think they have much more than just a chance. i think they have a great chance. i'm assuming vegas has them as huge favs.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #546 on: October 08, 2007, 10:43:56 AM »

pilferk - why the lack of confidence in your team???

1. you have one of your top starters pitching against one of their worst.

2. the yanks bats finally came alive in the playoffs.

3. they are at home.

4. they have the momentum.

i don't see how anyone can pick them to lose tonight. i think they have much more than just a chance. i think they have a great chance. i'm assuming vegas has them as huge favs.

IF the Indians really pitch Byrd, I'm cautiously optimistic....especially with Mussina as a safety net (and man, I didn't think I'd be saying THAT 6 weeks ago).  But while I wouldn't pick against them in the scenario we THINK will happen, I wouldn't peg them as a sure thing, either.

My "doubt" comes from Wang not getting his sinker down in Game one.  Typically, with him, that's a mechanical issue and when we've seen it in the past...it's been largely due to nerves (baserunners, big spots in games, etc).  So that makes me worry. 

The plus side is that he's not, this year, had 2 starts in a row with that same issue.....and if there is one pitcher in the playoffs that isn't effected by short rest, it's him.  At 92 or 96 mph, it's the sinking that gets hitters out, not the velocity.  Sorta like Wakefield's knucleball for the sox.  If it's dancing, he can throw it 85 mph and you can't hit it.  With Wang, his sinker at 90 is enough to give the Tribe fits with groundouts.

I'm also still not conviced Wedge is gonna throw Byrd out there tonight.  If CC Sebathia is on the mound in the bottom half of the 1st inning, I won't be very surprised.  And then it's not nearly the confidence inspiring scenario it is now.

Wedge has GOT to know that if the Yanks win this game, it won't matter if they're playing at Jacobs Field or on the moon, the momentum and confidence he's handed back to the Yanks is going to make them the favs in game 5.  I gotta think Wedge is maybe going to have a change of heart and try to win Game 4 with his best (Sebathia), knowing he has Carmona to pitch game 5 against Pettite.  I'm just waiting for the announcement.....

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 10:47:17 AM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #547 on: October 08, 2007, 12:39:55 PM »

obviously it's not a sure thing, but assuming byrd pitches tonight, you're optimistic. and you should be.

but i disagree on starting CC tonight. that's a panic move. and going with a player on 3-days rest is high risk, especially since he threw 114 pitches on thursday. i think that would be a mistake. and it's a mistake that cost wedge in the past.   

you have a chance with Byrd. and if you lose, it comes down to a 1-game playoff with your ace pitching at home. i'm not so sure the yanks will be favored in that scenario. great pitching is the one thing that can end momentum. but if CC pitches tonight, and the yanks win, they would be favored vs. Carmona in game 5.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #548 on: October 08, 2007, 01:09:59 PM »

obviously it's not a sure thing, but assuming byrd pitches tonight, you're optimistic. and you should be.

but i disagree on starting CC tonight. that's a panic move. and going with a player on 3-days rest is high risk, especially since he threw 114 pitches on thursday. i think that would be a mistake. and it's a mistake that cost wedge in the past.   

you have a chance with Byrd. and if you lose, it comes down to a 1-game playoff with your ace pitching at home. i'm not so sure the yanks will be favored in that scenario. great pitching is the one thing that can end momentum. but if CC pitches tonight, and the yanks win, they would be favored vs. Carmona in game 5.

IMHO, Sebathia on 3 days rest is better than Byrd on full rest.  Though the Yanks did hit Sebathia pretty well in Game one (just not well enough to overcome Wang's implosion), it's NOTHING compared to how well they hit Byrd earlier this year (2 innings, 7 runs).  I don't think it's a panic move...I think it would be a strategic move. He doesn't HAVE to do it....it just seems like it would be smart to do it. You'd better position yourself going into a series with Boston, rotation-wise.  You'd put up, you gotta think, more of an obstacle for the Yankees in Game 4.  And Carmona, in the first 2 games, was actually the better pitcher...so you have him on the mound for game 5 (against Pettite...again, who shut the Tribe out over 7 innings..someone I gotta think the Indians do NOT want another crack at if they can help it).

And again, if I'm Wedge, I don't want to face a "one game playoff".  Confident in Carmona/Sebathia or not, after being up 2 games to zip, there's NO way I want it all to come down to one unpredictable game. Especially not if the Yanks have won 2 in a row..and especially not if the Yanks offense continues to be "awake" in game 4.   Go for the jugular and try to win early.  If you lose, you have one more shot...but leaving Byrd in, and Sebathia (or Carmona) "in your pocket" doesn't make sense to me.

Now, watch...after all the pundits have handed Game 4 to the Yanks over Byrd before the first pitch is thrown.....Byrd will come out, pitch the game of his life, and take a no-hitter through 7 or something crazy like that.  crying
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 01:12:15 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

« Reply #549 on: October 08, 2007, 01:14:28 PM »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=3053879

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks what I do about not pitching Byrd.

I wonder if Bryant is reading my mind....

Together again,
sandman
Legend

« Reply #550 on: October 08, 2007, 02:24:33 PM »

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2007/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=3053879

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks what I do about not pitching Byrd.

I wonder if Bryant is reading my mind....

i'm sure there's plenty of people that agree wedge is making a mistake. you can make the argument either way. everyone thought it was a no-brainer to start Colon in 1999 in what was the exact same situation except it was vs. the red sox. wedge did and Colon lasted an inning and gave up 7 runs. they lost the game and the series. clearly wedge made the wrong decision that game.

and you said it, the yanks hit CC pretty well on his normal rest. he was damn lucky the yanks only scored 3 runs on him. seemed like there were players in scoring position every inning. he used his fast ball to get out of a few jams. posada chased some high heat. CC might not have a 95+ fastball to rely on if he pitched tonight.

i actually think none of this will matter cause wang is gonna be lights out tonight. wedge's true mistake will be when he goes to his bullpen too early and tires out a few arms prematurely.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #551 on: October 08, 2007, 04:56:57 PM »

Mostly A-Rod, Tim.

As a player, Jeter has my utmost respect.

But that's all they are.? All that money, down the drain.? They had a press conference early in the year announcing that A-Rod and Jeter no longer have slumber parties together.

Oh joy!

I know they're your favorite team, but c'mon.? The system is fucked.

OK, I don't get it.

How is it fucked?

One wild pitch from being up 2-1.

I just don't see how they're fucked.? They won more games than any of the NL playoff teams.? Only Boston and Cleveland won more games all year.

Sounds like the system works just fine.

As for the accusation they "buy wins":? So what?? The Red Sox don't (the current media choice for best team in the playoffs)?

Everyone buys wins.? That's why it's PROFESSIONAL baseball. The Yanks have the biggest checkbook (with the Red Sox closely behind)...they also make the most money AND share the most revenue with the league.? Baseball ownership, especially in the mid markets, should be ECSTATIC that Stienbrenner keeps his payroll so high:? It means a nice chunk of revenue for them every year (which, FYI, many of them choose to pocket rather than reinvest).

If you're arguing that the Yanks methods lead to disparity in the league...well this season is the WRONG season to make that point.? It was the best season, winning % wise, for parity EVER in the modern era of baseball. No team over .600...no team under .400. It's what every fan DREAMS of seeing: Your team has a good shot at winning every day.

Add to all that the fact a good portion of the Yanks team is home grown (Posada, Jeter, Rivera, Chamberlain, Duncan, Cano, Melky, Pettite, Wang) and I'm just not sure how you can say that the Yankees "buy wins instead of build them" and make any sense.? Whatever you were drinking......switch brands.? It's damaging your brain.? ?hihi rofl

It's not even about Game 2, Pilferk.

If the Yankees weren't spending like crazy, the Red Sox wouldn't have to spend either.  They are only trying to keep up.

A team that spends so much shouldn't have to struggle for a wild card berth.

Spending $$$$$$$ on Randy Johnson and Roger Clemens is pretty damning in my opinion.  Why spend so much on a pair of tired, old arms?

Yankee fans get so defensive.  hihi

Oh, and I only drink top-shelf 2% milk.  drool
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #552 on: October 08, 2007, 11:47:40 PM »

I'm a happy little boy right about now.  Smiley
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #553 on: October 08, 2007, 11:51:31 PM »

I love how quiet it is outside right now.  not a god damn peep.  Its like christmas.

seriously though, is this the end of an era?  Is Torre gone? A-rod gone? Clemens done?

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #554 on: October 09, 2007, 12:26:21 AM »

I love how quiet it is outside right now.  not a god damn peep.  Its like christmas.

seriously though, is this the end of an era?  Is Torre gone? A-rod gone? Clemens done?

I can't answer about A-rod or Clemens but Torre sure sounded like he thinks its over and i do too. If it is i don't know what he'll do next but he didn't seem like he was ready to retire and wait for the call from cooperstown.  It's sad if it is because this is NOT his fault but i guess someone has to take the fall and its usually the manager. My gut feeling on the other two though is A-rod stays and Clemens is probably done if that elbow needs surgery. I can't see him wanting to go through rigorous rehab at 46.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 12:27:57 AM by Timothy25 » Logged
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #555 on: October 09, 2007, 12:31:04 AM »

I'm a happy little boy right about now.  Smiley

Well now that even i could've predicted  hihi
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #556 on: October 09, 2007, 12:32:32 AM »

Ok so the LCS' are set. Who does everyone like to get to the series? I have to root for the Indians in the AL cause of my disdain for Boston. In The NL i have to say the rockies. They are absolutely frightening to play right now.
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #557 on: October 09, 2007, 01:15:12 AM »

Despite my own dislike of the Yanks, I've always liked Torre.  I hope he's done there, so he can go to a team with an owner who isn't a complete douche.  Not sure if the Yanks will overpay for three months of Clemens, again.  I'm not sure why this keeps happening.  He isn't what he was, and he's never been the same pitcher in the playoffs as he is during the regular season. 

Anyway...Go Rox, Go Tribe.

I was 0 for 4 in picking teams to make it to the ALCS/NLCS, so shows what I know.

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #558 on: October 09, 2007, 01:19:17 AM »

Despite my own dislike of the Yanks, I've always liked Torre.  I hope he's done there, so he can go to a team with an owner who isn't a complete douche.  Not sure if the Yanks will overpay for three months of Clemens, again.  I'm not sure why this keeps happening.  He isn't what he was, and he's never been the same pitcher in the playoffs as he is during the regular season. 

Anyway...Go Rox, Go Tribe.

I was 0 for 4 in picking teams to make it to the ALCS/NLCS, so shows what I know.

I wasn't much better 1 for 4 and i picked the wrong number of games.
sandman
Legend

« Reply #559 on: October 09, 2007, 09:05:29 AM »

i was 2-2 with my predictions. i think the rockies are unstoppable right now. not sure what to think about the sox-indians series. the indians played a longer series, but their rotation is set up perfectly for the next round and they now know they can win with their #4.

it's strange that the yankees strength all year is what let them down in the end - their offense. i really don't think Byrd pitched that well last night. just like in games 1 and 2, the yankees did not come through with the big hits with RISP. it seemed like it was one double-play after another. whereas the indians were total clutch. their at-bats were just amazing - very few easy outs.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 53 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: