Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 08:40:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228551 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GNR snubbed by World Peace One
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: GNR snubbed by World Peace One  (Read 11267 times)
EFISH
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2007, 10:03:58 AM »

Who cares?
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 10:41:46 AM »

GNR isn't a cause band.? I wouldn't view this as being "snubbed."

either is Zeppelin and there invited. Hell, there not even a band anymore.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
grabaraxl
Rocker

stick to your guns

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2007, 11:07:45 AM »

besides Farm Aid, in 1990 George Harrison put on a benefit compilation called "Romanian Angel Appeal : Nobody's Child" and Gn'R contributed with the (at the time) unreleased "Civil War".
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2007, 11:21:39 AM »

Im confused?what is this?...Is this kind of like the Live 8 where therer having concertt in different cities around the world?

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2007, 03:31:37 PM »

I still stand my ground that GNR isn't a cause band.? Over the course of any artist's career they will contribute to something eventually.? May it be something that personally affects them or whatnot.  (like Axl having roots in the mid-west of the US and performing at Farm Aid and performing for a personal hero of his, Freddy Mercury)

Don't get me wrong, I am all for artists who are affiliated with causes. By looking at that list at least 3/4 of it I was able to match the artist/band with a specific cause that I know they push.? Maybe I just watch too much TV to know who is involved with Peta, anti war, saving the children....

I think this would have been a nice topic to post in the Jungle, I don't think it has anything to do with GNR at all.?

GNR isn't a cause band.? I wouldn't view this as being "snubbed."

Actually Robert Plant is well known as someone who has played at many benefits and world peace events.? I guess they are hoping for some type of reunion for big billing, much like Pink Floyd playing at the Live 8.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 03:34:39 PM by Bandita » Logged
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2007, 03:53:08 PM »

So is this like Live 8?same type of setup?

Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2007, 03:59:59 PM »

So is this like Live 8?same type of setup?

All venue sites will be linked to each other via satellite, enabling each city to view other events happening "live" in other parts of the world. These venue-to-venue uplinks will be shown on Jumbotron, Diamond Vision, and screens at all Primary and Secondary Host City venue sites.

The event is currently planned to be broadcast "live" from 15 primary host cities that include:

Sydney, Tokyo Seoul
Beijing Mumbai Moscow
Dubai Johannesburg Cairo
Berlin London Rio de Janeiro
New York Las Vegas Los Angeles

and other Secondary Host Cities to be announced

http://www.worldpeace1.com/html/venues.html
andreq
Opening Act

Whore

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2007, 04:15:09 PM »

the lame ass web site looks like a hoax anyway.

Rich people will travel great distances to look at poor people.
Malcolm
Legend

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2007, 04:17:30 PM »

I cant belive nothing in Canada on the 15 primary sites...Yet the States get 3 effing shows

axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2007, 04:25:19 PM »

If GNR has "gone public" by the summer, with the record out and a tour on the go, I would be very surprised if they were not added to this bill. It's up to Axl, and I can see him doing it. This list is not set in stone, we are months away from the event anyways. I'm sure a few high-profile acts can be added later.

As for not being a "cause" band, I was going to mention the Nobody's Child project, but someone beat me to it. So it's not like they have never done anything like this before:

- Nobody's Child - benefit album for Romanian children, GNR contributed "Civil War" to the album
- Farm Aid
- Freddie Mercury Tribute
- Parkinson's Benefit with Michael J. Fox

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
Axlfreek
Legend

« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2007, 05:17:58 PM »

Actually Robert Plant is well known as someone who has played at many benefits and world peace events.? I guess they are hoping for some type of reunion for big billing, much like Pink Floyd playing at the Live 8.

Very true, good point.

"Live the full life of the mind, exhilarated by new ideas, intoxicated by the romance of the unusual."
Hemingway
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2007, 05:34:41 PM »

If GNR has "gone public" by the summer, with the record out and a tour on the go, I would be very surprised if they were not added to this bill. It's up to Axl, and I can see him doing it. This list is not set in stone, we are months away from the event anyways. I'm sure a few high-profile acts can be added later.

As for not being a "cause" band, I was going to mention the Nobody's Child project, but someone beat me to it. So it's not like they have never done anything like this before:

- Nobody's Child - benefit album for Romanian children, GNR contributed "Civil War" to the album
- Farm Aid
- Freddie Mercury Tribute
- Parkinson's Benefit with Michael J. Fox

True- but those are more or less "targeted" events, concerts, albums, etc. that seem to fit generally into areas where GN'R is relevant- Nobody's Child- I believe came about because of the immense popularity of hard rock and heavy metal in Eastern Europe- and including GN'R was a major coup for that cause. Farm Aid was at least partially related to Axl and Izzy's rural upbringing. Freddie Mercury was obviously tied into the band's (generally) and Axl's (specifally) idolization of Queen and Freddie. Parkinson's Benefit- was just Axl (as far as I know)- and based on the "mutual respect" Michael J. Fox and Axl have for each other.

GN'R has never really been a "cause" band generally speaking beyond that. The type of band that would participate in "We are the World" or whatever... plus, realistically, if you're organizing one of those events- and GN'R is not directly relevant in some specific way... are you going to risk a cancellation or no show or that certain segments of the fans (still pissed at One in a Million or whatever) won't show? Hell no. You book "safe" acts like U2 and Bon Jovi and REM or whatever.... GN'R never fit that profile... and frankly thank God.

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Adam_Guill
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2007, 06:06:08 PM »

bono's about to single handedly save the world again.

everyone clap in unison
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2007, 06:10:03 PM »

why should shit artists like shakira be on it then? they are just plastic artists in it for money only, and they have no soul to there music....so why them and not gnr?

html sucks
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2007, 06:24:01 PM »

GN'R never fit that profile... and frankly thank God.

Amen to that, to loving them just the way they are!!!
axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2007, 08:28:52 PM »

True- but those are more or less "targeted" events, concerts, albums, etc. that seem to fit generally into areas where GN'R is relevant- Nobody's Child- I believe came about because of the immense popularity of hard rock and heavy metal in Eastern Europe

Not true, in fact GNR stands out because it's the only hard rock group on the record.

Nobody's Child - Romanian Angel Appeal// 1. Nobody's Child - Traveling Wilburys 2. Wonderful Remark - Van Morrison 3. Medicine Man - Elton John 4. This Week - Dave Stewart and The Spiritual Cowboys 5. Homeward Bound - Paul Simon and George Harrison (From Saturday Night Live) 6. How Can You Mend a Broken Heart? - Bee Gees (Recorded Live at The National Tennis centre, Melbourne, Australia, 1989 7. Lovechild - Billy Idol 8. Big Day Little Boat - Eddie Brickell & New Bohemians 9. Feeding off the Love of the Land - Stevie Wonder 10. That Kind of Woman - Eric Clapton 11. Goodnight Little One - Rick Ocasek 12. Trembler - The Trembler 13. Ain't That Peculiar - Mike & The Mechanics with Paul Shaffer (From Late Night) 14. Civil War - Guns n' Roses 15. With a Little Help from My Friends - Ringo Starr and His All Star Band (Recorded Live at the Greek Teatre, Los Angeles, CA.

GN'R has never really been a "cause" band generally speaking beyond that. The type of band that would participate in "We are the World" or whatever... plus, realistically, if you're organizing one of those events- and GN'R is not directly relevant in some specific way... are you going to risk a cancellation or no show or that certain segments of the fans (still pissed at One in a Million or whatever) won't show? Hell no. You book "safe" acts like U2 and Bon Jovi and REM or whatever.... GN'R never fit that profile... and frankly thank God.

I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that the band was so volatile during the early days, and Axl has pretty much been in seclusion since '94. So they may not have been invited in the old days (although they did Farm Aid, as mentioned), and Axl hasn't done too much publicly in the last 12 years, other than the '02 and '06 tours.

As for not booking them to play at a particular time because they aren't a "safe act", they did a number of festivals this summer (including a few shows in the sunshine) and they went just fine.

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2007, 12:25:37 AM »

True- but those are more or less "targeted" events, concerts, albums, etc. that seem to fit generally into areas where GN'R is relevant- Nobody's Child- I believe came about because of the immense popularity of hard rock and heavy metal in Eastern Europe

Not true, in fact GNR stands out because it's the only hard rock group on the record.

Nobody's Child - Romanian Angel Appeal// 1. Nobody's Child - Traveling Wilburys 2. Wonderful Remark - Van Morrison 3. Medicine Man - Elton John 4. This Week - Dave Stewart and The Spiritual Cowboys 5. Homeward Bound - Paul Simon and George Harrison (From Saturday Night Live) 6. How Can You Mend a Broken Heart? - Bee Gees (Recorded Live at The National Tennis centre, Melbourne, Australia, 1989 7. Lovechild - Billy Idol 8. Big Day Little Boat - Eddie Brickell & New Bohemians 9. Feeding off the Love of the Land - Stevie Wonder 10. That Kind of Woman - Eric Clapton 11. Goodnight Little One - Rick Ocasek 12. Trembler - The Trembler 13. Ain't That Peculiar - Mike & The Mechanics with Paul Shaffer (From Late Night) 14. Civil War - Guns n' Roses 15. With a Little Help from My Friends - Ringo Starr and His All Star Band (Recorded Live at the Greek Teatre, Los Angeles, CA.

I think it has a lot more to do with the fact that the band was so volatile during the early days, and Axl has pretty much been in seclusion since '94. So they may not have been invited in the old days (although they did Farm Aid, as mentioned), and Axl hasn't done too much publicly in the last 12 years, other than the '02 and '06 tours.

As for not booking them to play at a particular time because they aren't a "safe act", they did a number of festivals this summer (including a few shows in the sunshine) and they went just fine.

Good points. I didn't express it well- but what I was trying to say was that GN'R's involvement with Nobody's Child came about as an attempt to get a hard rock/metal group onto the album- not that the whole album is hard rock/metal. I've got it sitting in my cd rack. But it's a point well taken. GN'R is an "outlier" on that album and it was post "One in a Million" to boot.

As far as your second point. Agreed. This summer/fall has probably gone a long way to restore some confidence in organizers minds. Difference between those Euro festivals (I believe) and something like this- is that those festivals aren't trying to get a political/social message out there- while here- one band's antics can fuck up the whole evening by distracting from the message/purpose of the event and wasting all the rest of the artists' time, efforts, cash, good will, etc. Not sure you can slot Axl/GN'R into something like that and be 100% confident about the whole thing... all in all the 2006 tour came off well- but you still had: (1) Tommy Hilfiger; (2) "The Stockholm Incident?"; (3) Portland; and (4) several other cancellations.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 12:33:13 AM by MaoAxl » Logged

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2007, 01:39:55 PM »

Who cares?? IF Pink Floyd and Led Zepellin play nobody needs anything else.  hihi peace
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2007, 08:48:05 PM »

Who cares?? IF Pink Floyd and Led Zepellin play nobody needs anything else.? hihi peace

I doubt Led Zeppelin will ever play under that name again. I think Robert Plant said something after Live Aid about that. I'd love to see Pink Floyd reform for that event though.

GNR would bring something special to the event, not to mention that it'd be a great way to get a large televised audience to check them out once again.

However, time will tell if they end up on the bill or not.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
Bow-Chicka-Bow-Wow
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2007, 09:00:04 PM »

If I were to see them on a list of "Recording artists that will NOT be invited", I might considered them "snubbed".  This just means absolutely nothing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: