Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 27, 2024, 07:01:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228522 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The "Wasted Years." What are your feelings about them?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: The "Wasted Years." What are your feelings about them?  (Read 10081 times)
Ax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2007, 02:17:01 AM »

I don't think GN'R wasted what could have been their best years. Sure the old band did something amazing with the illusion albums and the tour, but after that many of the members and people around the band said that it was pretty much over because the band wasn't what it used to be. Judging from what we have heard over the years, it sounds like what happened with the breakup of the band and Axl going underground was really the only thing that could have happened.

And as much as I would have loved for GN'R to release an album in 94-96, this was a concept not shared by many people at the time. The vast majority of the public was sick of rock bands at that point and had GN'R released an album then I'm not too sure how well it would have done. If they had released an album then it probably would not have been recieved very well and the gnr legacy would not be what it is today, GN'R would be regarded as just another one of those rock bands that was big in the 80s but couldn't cut it in the 90s.
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2007, 02:25:52 AM »

I think some of you are just making up excuses to why Axl has taking so long.  He should have at least went solo, in my opinion, and released some material during the last 14 years.  I'm 22, but have followed Axl many years and have made several people GN'R fans by playing them everyone I go.  But if there was more material there would be more attention, more fans, and the band of today would be considered GREAT even though we know they already are.  Errr..I have so many things to say on this subject.  YES THE YEARS WERE WASTED, MUSIC WISE, FOR AXL!!
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2007, 02:26:56 AM »

Lots of Axl apologists on this board. ?Truth is we didnt lose anything Axl did. ?Thats why I feel bad because he should be at the top. ?However, you really cant feel like he did anything to you. ?I mean its his life he can live it as he likes and its great that we even got any music. ?I mean the chances that the original GNR would get together were one in a million and they did and it is great and we will always have that music.

However, in order for Chinese Democracy to be worth the delay it would have to be like 2 AFD's and thats not going to happen. ?And you can blame it on lawsuits and breakups but the fact is if he wanted he could have gotten an album out. ?Musicians who have lost limbs, who have gone to war, who have been shot and who have had no bands whatsoever have gotten cd's out in 1/28th the time it has taken Axl. ?You cant make excuses for it, nor can you be mad at it. ?He didnt want to release the music he made or he didnt want to make music or he was unable to make music. ?Its one of those three possibilities. ?To blame it on anything else is ignoring the sheer amount of stuidio time he has had. ?So I guess I disagree with people who think Chinese Democracy could be worth the wait, it wont be on many levels. ?I also agree with people who are mad about it too because when it comes down to it, it has nothing to do with the fans. ?Its Axl's life, its his carreer, his artistic integrity and his legacy. ?To us its relatively nothing. ?I also dont think Axl has had it that bad these last 14or so years. ?Being able to travel anywhere you want, to not have to worry about money, to not have to do anything really and to be out of the public eye but remaining an everypresent figure.

Oh and by the way in the mid 90's rock was bigger than it was now, atleast there seemed to be a big movement in melodic rock which I feel like GNR was best at or at least was leaning to with UYI's. ?I mean Oasis, Bush, Stone Temple Pilots etc...were all huge. ?I think a GNR album would have done well in the mid 90's

I feel like Axl wasted a lot, but in the end its disappointing but not angering.
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2007, 06:52:53 AM »

Wow,I haven't been on here in a long fuckin' time. ?

You're talkin' about "14 years wasted",right?

?Well,it's hard to say those years were "wasted" when Axl spent most of those years:

?
 ?A) Recovering from the break-up with Seymour.

?B) Dealing with lawsuits out the ass.

?C) Watching as band members walked out the door.

?D) More fuckin' lawsuits.

?E) Trying to re-envision some semblance of a band and crew together/finding the right mix.

?F) Overcoming practically insurmountable pressure/hype.

?G) Dealing with personal issues regarding life and health (shit that's really no one's fuckin' business).

?H) Living up to satisfaction for himself regarding what should be deemed a "Guns N' Roses" album.

?H) FUCKIN' LAWSUITS!!!

What's done is done. Ya can't whine about what could've or should've happened.

? Everything happens for a reason. ?We can't wonder all day long,'cause nothing can be changed anyway.
As far as I'm concerned,he's had a lot of shit to go through and deal with.
"Yeah,he's but fuckin' rich!" Blah,blah,blah! He's still a human being. Shit affects him just as much as it does you and I.

?I plan on being a multi-millionaire but,I know I'll still have problems. I might have a lot of zeros in my account,but I'll still bleed red and love to laugh and get sad and still shit like a bear.

Money doesn't make you happy,it makes you comfortable. ?Does he have to worry about if he'll eat today? No. Does he have to worry about being laughed at on global fuckin' level? Yes.

? "Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you can judge him."

?Granted,CD could've/should've been released by now,but,HEY!...guess what?!?..it ain't. ?As far as I'm concerned,the last 14 years of MY life aren't wasted. I've been living!!
 If I didn't do shit from 1993 until now,all the while waiting for this new album,then yes,THAT'D be fuckin' wasted. If You DIDN'T do that,than nothing has been wasted. Not on our side.

And not on Axl's side. 'Cause he's been living.

? ? GN'R FOREVER!!

? ? ? ? ? MATT

i usually defend axl on the postponning / canceling thing. normal thing in production

but :

A) Recovering from the break-up with Seymour.
nothing special here. shouldnt be an escuse.

?B) Dealing with lawsuits out the ass.
i think that's a normal situation for any creative industry.

?C) Watching as band members walked out the door.
that, i admit could have slown down the process

?D) More fuckin' lawsuits.
lawyers. and again, no escuse

?E) Trying to re-envision some semblance of a band and crew together/finding the right mix.
fair enough

?F) Overcoming practically insurmountable pressure/hype.
im sorry but the pressure hype was bulding up at the end. the more you wait. the more it comes. but "knowing" axl, i dont think he cares. - so null

?G) Dealing with personal issues regarding life and health (shit that's really no one's fuckin' business).
that's another story.

?H) Living up to satisfaction for himself regarding what should be deemed a "Guns N' Roses" album.
that is the main point.

?H) FUCKIN' LAWSUITS!!!
stupid

and again, i'm glad he took his time. i'm sure he would have released the cd if everything was set up fine.

Bruno Poeys
VIP

I don't believe there's a reason...

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2007, 07:12:06 AM »

Wow,I haven't been on here in a long fuckin' time. 

You're talkin' about "14 years wasted",right?

Well,it's hard to say those years were "wasted" when Axl spent most of those years:

B) Dealing with lawsuits out the ass.

C) Watching as band members walked out the door.

D) More fuckin' lawsuits.

E) Trying to re-envision some semblance of a band and crew together/finding the right mix.

F) Overcoming practically insurmountable pressure/hype.

G) Dealing with personal issues regarding life and health (shit that's really no one's fuckin' business).

H) Living up to satisfaction for himself regarding what should be deemed a "Guns N' Roses" album.

H) FUCKIN' LAWSUITS!!!

What's done is done. Ya can't whine about what could've or should've happened.

Everything happens for a reason.  We can't wonder all day long,'cause nothing can be changed anyway.
As far as I'm concerned,he's had a lot of shit to go through and deal with.
"Yeah,he's but fuckin' rich!" Blah,blah,blah! He's still a human being. Shit affects him just as much as it does you and I.

I plan on being a multi-millionaire but,I know I'll still have problems. I might have a lot of zeros in my account,but I'll still bleed red and love to laugh and get sad and still shit like a bear.

Money doesn't make you happy,it makes you comfortable.  Does he have to worry about if he'll eat today? No. Does he have to worry about being laughed at on global fuckin' level? Yes.

"Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you can judge him."

Granted,CD could've/should've been released by now,but,HEY!...guess what?!?..it ain't.  As far as I'm concerned,the last 14 years of MY life aren't wasted. I've been living!!
 If I didn't do shit from 1993 until now,all the while waiting for this new album,then yes,THAT'D be fuckin' wasted. If You DIDN'T do that,than nothing has been wasted. Not on our side.

And not on Axl's side. 'Cause he's been living.

GN'R FOREVER!!

MATT

i usually defend axl on the postponning / canceling thing. normal thing in production

but :

nothing special here. shouldnt be an escuse.

B) Dealing with lawsuits out the ass.
i think that's a normal situation for any creative industry.

C) Watching as band members walked out the door.
that, i admit could have slown down the process

D) More fuckin' lawsuits.
lawyers. and again, no escuse

E) Trying to re-envision some semblance of a band and crew together/finding the right mix.
fair enough

F) Overcoming practically insurmountable pressure/hype.
im sorry but the pressure hype was bulding up at the end. the more you wait. the more it comes. but "knowing" axl, i dont think he cares. - so null

G) Dealing with personal issues regarding life and health (shit that's really no one's fuckin' business).
that's another story.

H) Living up to satisfaction for himself regarding what should be deemed a "Guns N' Roses" album.
that is the main point.

H) FUCKIN' LAWSUITS!!!
stupid

and again, i'm glad he took his time. i'm sure he would have released the cd if everything was set up fine.

seriously, do you have a life w/ feelings? I think you never broke up w/ some woman you loved like Axl loved Stephanie, and cause of that reason. In your post you seemed not care about his life, his feelings and the problems w/ law. Thats not excuse, dude, that's life. When he broke-up w/ an ex girlfriend, that hurted him. A lot. He is a lil depressive, if you had depression before you know how he would feel when you break up w/ who you love. He had tons of troubles when he was young/child, he doesnt like to talk about things that happened in the past. Why? That hurts him! Some things that happened in the past just hurted me enough for me to not talk about it. I'm not studying now cause of things that hurted me in the past, and when you have depression, you cant do shit, you dont have power, you dont have reason. That happened to him, and I can understand Axl, i can understand what happened. I dont feel sad cause of the "wasted time". I feel happy cause he "won" all those battles and is still rocking. He is doing music that we love, he will release a CD. Axl is a winner, he won several fights in his life and he is a genius cause he won those fights. peace

"I don't believe there's a reason - I don't believe it..."
anythinggoes
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2007, 07:20:56 AM »

When the Album comes out and is great they wont be wasted if its rubbish it wont be a waste just a disapointment, but im 99% if not 100% certain that the album will be great so i dont worry about it
wight gunner
VIP

"Paranoia is just another type of awareness"

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2007, 07:56:10 AM »

If its a kick ass then fine (and I'm sure it will be) then the wait is part of the whole karma...

How many bands/artist go the distance and churn out dross.... quality over quantity every time for me ok

Hobos are people who move around looking for work, tramps are people who move around but don't look for work, and bums are people who don't move and don't work. I've been all three. -Seasick Steve
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2007, 08:09:00 AM »

No album 94-98 was okay (people were tired of them). But since 1999...  no

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
bringbackadler
I don't know who's in the band
Banned
VIP

If you aint old school, kiss my ass

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2007, 08:17:12 AM »

It can be very discouraging to think about the 14 years of silence we've all had to endure. I just hope that we are near the end of the silence.

"Adler's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference. His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked."? Izzy Stradlin
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2007, 08:35:47 AM »

Here's a good excuse for the wait.... he was re-creating Guns N' Roses. 

When I think of the bootlegs and how good the band sounds I'm glad it took that many years to get people like Mr. Foot, Mr. Fortus and Mr. Finck to come into the band and jam so tightly.  And I'd rather follow this incarnation than the 2002 'circus' version of the band.  They got their shit together now it seems and Axl has his voice. 

Would I have liked to see Axl playing shows in 1998?  Yeah.  Would I have wanted 'Oh My God' to be their best effort?  NO. 

And keep in mind he said that Paul Huge was the only reason why there is a Guns N' Roses, so perhaps for a large amount of that time he wasn't even completely sure what to do.  As fans did we have to endure and wait?  Yes.

Did we have to give up our own goals and dreams because Mr. Axl didn't put out a CD and play shows?  No. 

Does breaking up with a girlfriend kinda fuck you up sometimes?  Yeah.

Axl is the only one that should be upset at wasted years, but he doesn't seem to be, so worrying about its just a waste of my fucking time. 
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2007, 08:46:29 AM »

Im a firm believer everything happens for a reason, and for one reason or another, Axl just wasn't meant to be spending those years performing for us, fans.. Undecided

If anything, I think the lesson to be learnt is that once Chinese Democracy does drop, we have to embrace and cherish the days that follow as if they were our last.. Smiley

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2007, 08:49:07 AM »

First off, I'm obviously as disappointed as everyone else that since UYI, Axl has failed to resurface with a new record. But one has to put the whole prime thing into context. A follow-up record with the UYI lineup might've been a wash. Izzy was already gone, and the sound would've been different from what it was before. Gilby could've brought interesting things into the mix, but I doubt he would've instantly had the same songwriting chemistry with the others that Izzy had developed over the years. Also, the music world began to change very soon after the UYI release, and the writing was already on the wall for bands like GNR. The band just shielded themselves behind a colossal world tour in order to keep the big wheel turning. The albums, the tour and the videos had excess written all over them. Those guys were like pigs dining in the king's table. Whatever would've have followed UYI, I seriously doubt it could've reprised the success GNR had enjoyed before that, partially regardless of the record's quality.

It would've probably done some good for them to just take some time for themselves, do their own stuff free from the GNR brand. Slash did that with Snakepit, Duff and Matt had Neurotic Outsiders. But even so, they were all in the situation where they were expected to return to GNR and churn out a new record while they were at it. It might've done some good for Axl as well to just give the comeback a rest, hole up in the studio with some new faces and put out a record-full of My World if that's the sort of experimenting he was interested in at the time. Then everybody would've gotten the monkey out of their backs, not to mention a break from all things GNR, and could've brought in new ideas spawned while working on their respective sideprojects. It would've also kept the fanbase happy, since there would've been more solo records to pick from.

That's as far as the 90's go in my opinion.

What about the wasted years 2001-2005? While I naturally would've liked to have the album out right after RIR3, I don't really think Axl was in any specific prime back in 2001, or 2002 for that matter. Now, throughout last year, he's consistently appeared to really enjoy the touring life again, not to mention coming up as 'the rock star'. ?Once again, he looks and acts the part. Of course, time waits for no man, and Axl's frontman days are growing short. But I do feel that in between 2003-05, he did manage to find in himself a new mid-life peak, the seasoned frontman who knows how to deliver.

I prefer this current situation to feeling embarrassed for him for whatever reasons that made him behave in certain ways during the '01-02 gigs.

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
AxlsMainMan
Dazed & Confused
Legend

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2007, 09:02:06 AM »

It might've done some good for Axl as well to just give the comeback a rest, hole up in the studio with some new faces and put out a record-full of My World if that's the sort of experimenting he was interested in at the time. Then everybody would've gotten the monkey out of their backs, not to mention a break from all things GNR, and could've brought in new ideas spawned while working on their respective sideprojects.

While I loved your other points, I think this one is the most crucial of them all.

Time off was definately what was needed after the conclusion of the UYI tour. The position each bandmember probably felt at the time is very understandable, meaning you put me on the road touring with even the best of my friends for 2 and a half years, non-stop, tensions are most definately going to flare and things will probably be said that shouldn't have been said, resulting in hurt feelings.. Undecided

9.20 & 21.06
1.16 & 17.10
1.24 & 25.10
11.02 & 03.12
10.29 & 30.17
Jonx
VIP

Mad At Nascar

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2007, 09:13:44 AM »

Well he certainly hasnt been working on it constantly for 14 years. I think the guy was just enjoying life, chilling out, doing whatever the fuck he wanted to do. The original GnR pretty much toured constantly since the release of Appetite and Use Your Illusion. He probably just wanted to experience life, spending some of the millions that he had earned during those years.

I wouldnt call them wasted years, its pretty obvious that there is alot going on behind the scenes, stuff that i dont think we will ever know about, lawsuits, conflicting contracts, bad luck on Axls behalf!

Its close, it has to be!

Jonx
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2007, 09:16:41 AM »

While I was mid-sentence in writing that Axl's sideproject bit, I realized that's what some people say about the CD sessions. I don't think its cracked up to be an 'Axl solo record' though, otherwise he would've put it out a good while ago. I think a lot of the delays have to do with him having an idea of what the vintage GNR sound should be, so to speak, and having a bunch of new faces coming up, trying to both master the sound with their respective styles and also, update it on their own right. I doubt Axl wants people to associate the album's sound with, say, Slash, like "that's a Slash solo". Then again, I think he's quite precious about the GNR brand and sound, and therefore can't afford to put out an album-full of My World's.

The more you think of it, the more understandable it gets that during '97-00, there really wasn't one specific direction towards which the band could strive. I'm not making excuses for Axl here, but I can't say I envy the man either. Having to rebuild a certain unit from the ground up, with the press and fanbase having all kinds of presumptions and opinions, is not exactly a care-free situation. In that sense, Axl's choice of going down under was probably a pretty logical development.

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
2007what!
Banned
Rocker

Shut Up And Be A Victim Of Authority

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2007, 09:24:23 AM »

i've "wasted" years myself and it turned out to be for the better, as it also will in axl's case.
he is ready when he is ready, it is not up to us to determine whether or not he has wasted his time.
time spent on making the best damn record possible is not wasted time in my eyes.

you can find him at the pub with the grub stain chuggin on a small tub of pain to his bugged brain
smugolo
Headliner

"I don't worry about nothin', no..."

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2007, 09:30:26 AM »

every artist is different.

if axl felt he needed these years out of the limelight, so be it.

these 'wasted years' may pay off over the next few years if we get maybe 3 albums worth of material.

sure, axl could've tried harder to keep the original line-up together, but his musical vision for the band may have been sacrificed.

chinese democracy could mark the start of axl's second prolific era.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 09:32:03 AM by smugolo » Logged

GN'R 2006 - Dublin 9th June - Sheffield 18th July - Manchester 23rd July
Lord Kayoss
VIP

I like GN'R

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2007, 09:49:11 AM »

It completely sucks when I think of it.  So much time and talent wasted.  CD should've been done and out years ago.  No reason to take this long for one record.

Cornell
Nice to you
Legend

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2007, 09:52:22 AM »

Yes, I think it sucks.  I was having a blast following them around in the late 80's and early 90's and then suddenly nothing.  Sad  They could have as many albums as the Stones or AC/DC, but instead we had to listen to crap music for most of the last decade.   Undecided

Why don't you just....
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2007, 10:19:29 AM »

The thing people dont ever mention is that if a normal band spent as much time as GnR has spent touring, in the studio, they could have come up with at least 2 albums of work.    So it is something other than not having the time to finish an album or being too emotional or whatever.

People break up and the more painful the breakup usually the more inspiring the art.  So the excuse that he had a tough breakup is moot because that should be inspiration for songs (which it clearly was which makes me think a lot of the lyrics were written in the 90's).
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: