Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 29, 2024, 09:47:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228131 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  SLASH To Appear In New PAULINA RUBIO Video
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SLASH To Appear In New PAULINA RUBIO Video  (Read 13351 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 11:55:04 AM »

And sometimes, yes, you are forced to play for people you wouldn't normally play for just to pay the bills.

No, youre not.  Its a choice.  The reasons differ for each, but its still a choice.

And if you think Richard was rich back then your nuts. I've read interviews from him from back around 2000 (when he was doing the Psychedelic Furs tour) where he said he had to play with these pop artists just to pay his rent and put food on the table. I really really doubt slash was in the same situation when he was doing pop artist sessions...

I didnt say Fortus was rich; I have no clue about his finances then or now.  The same goes for Slash, actually.  Like I said, the reasons for each guitarists choice differ: Fortus may have done it strictly for money while Slash might be more interested in the experience itself, doing it as a favor, etc. but neither has to do it.  Thats common sense. 

It seems that youre implying that Slashs motives are somehow less respectable than someone who is desperate for money, but Im not sure why.
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 12:02:54 PM »

Who cares who Slash works with? He is Slash so he's well respected enough throughout the world to be asked to help people out and hes a decent enough guy to do so. If anyone knew who Richard Fortus was they might ask him as well.

As long as hes still working with Duff etc on the new kick ass VR album thats all you should be worried about.

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 12:08:16 PM »

If anyone knew who Richard Fortus was they might ask him as well.

That is where you show you're ignorance. Richard has played with some of the greatest artists of all time and played on some of the best albums of the past 20 years. Learn the facts before you post buddy.
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 12:11:49 PM »

That is where you show you're ignorance. Richard has played with some of the greatest artists of all time and played on some of the best albums of the past 20 years. Learn the facts before you post buddy.

Go on then, enlighten me Mrs Fortus.

'Once there was this rock n' roll band rolling on the street, time went by and it became a joke'.
chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2007, 12:28:02 PM »

Guitar, Music, Lyrics (1991)
Straight to Goodbye by Pale Divine

Guitar, Mandolin, Cello  (1994)
Love Spit Love by Love Spit Love

Guitar, Producer  (2001)
Beautiful Chaos: Greatest Hits Live by The Psychedelic Furs

Guitar  (2002)
10 Years in the Life by BT

Guitar  (2003)

Fine Art of Self Destruction by Jesse Malin

to name just a few.
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2007, 12:31:28 PM »

Guitar, Mandolin, Cello? (1994)

Guitar, Producer? (2001)

Guitar? (2002)

Guitar? (2003)

to name just a few.

As I already said, please enlighten me to which of the greatest artists of all time and the best albums of the last 20 years has Richard played on/with?

And, had you ever heard of him before he joined Axl and Chums? Be honest....

I dont think Im being particularly ignorant that I dont consider your amazing list a cv of world beaters.

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2007, 12:33:46 PM »

Actually you are proving your ignorance when it comes to music. I'm sure Booker will agree with me that those are some of the best albums of the past 20 years.
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2007, 12:36:47 PM »

Actually you are proving your ignorance when it comes to music. I'm sure Booker will agree with me that those are some of the best albums of the past 20 years.

Good for you mate. I'll go and check out that guitar punching version of 'Pretty in Pink' right away.

EFISH
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2007, 12:58:05 PM »

I've never heard of any of those albums.  confused
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2007, 01:02:49 PM »

I've never heard of any of those albums. 

You're not the only one.

Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 01:05:23 PM »

I've never heard of any of those albums.? confused

C'mon Conrad those are the greatest albums of the last 20 years, are you mad?

Whilst we are here, Chineseblues, you didnt answer my question. Had you heard of Fortus before he joined Axl & Chums? Be honest.....

chineseblues
Legend

23/11/08

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2007, 01:07:05 PM »

Just because you've never heard them doesn't mean their not any good. I'm sure a lot of people in the world has never heard of AFD but that doesn't mean that's not one of the greatest albums ever either...

Yes I did know of Richard before he was in the band, because I had the the Psychedelic Furs live album a year before he joined gnr...
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2007, 01:15:23 PM »

good god, i came here to read what i thought would be a cool and long discussion about the legendary guitar player of Velvet Revolver and former member of GN'R called Slash

instead i got a bunch of posts about opinons stated as facts about current gn'r guitarist richard fortus and his contributions on what some guys think are the greatest records the last 20 years
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2007, 01:20:31 PM »

Just because you've never heard them doesn't mean their not any good. I'm sure a lot of people in the world has never heard of AFD but that doesn't mean that's not one of the greatest albums ever either...

Yes I did know of Richard before he was in the band, because I had the the Psychedelic Furs live album a year before he joined gnr...

Good for you. I agree that AFD is one of the greatest albums ever, sales, tours, popularity etc confirm that.

This discussion isnt about Fortus and his incredible session work, its about Slash and his work.

I appreciate that you think whatever he is on is the best thing ever and your entitled to that opinion. All I originally said was that Slash is asked to guest on peoples records because he is a world renowned musician and everybody knows him and that Richard isnt. Im hardly lying am I.

monkeychow
VIP

How's that for provocation?

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2007, 06:47:07 PM »

I really can't understand all the slash hate given this is a GNR site.

Ok...i get that slash hasn't been in GNR for many years now, and that those who are happy with the current GNR line up get defensive or offended when people call for his return.

However thats a different thing to the general level of hate and slash bashing that seems to go on around here these days.

I mean...its not like slash was some session guitarist for GNR - he composed a lot of the solos and stuff , was in the band for many years, and plays on all the albums we currently have.

Anyway...back on topic....slash is a musician and has always played with various people in different styles of music when he felt he could add something to the song. Sometimes i've loved these, sometimes they wern't to my exact taste...but its cool that he deiversifies and tries new things...and most of the time he kicks ass at them IMO.

Anyway...and to the guy who said he thought slash was cool till this. Well....who you work with isn't what makes a person cool....and just take a look at the guy....he's been one of the coolest mofos around for like 30 years now....lol
Locomotive98
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2007, 01:13:31 AM »

I really can't understand all the slash hate given this is a GNR site.

Ok...i get that slash hasn't been in GNR for many years now, and that those who are happy with the current GNR line up get defensive or offended when people call for his return.

However thats a different thing to the general level of hate and slash bashing that seems to go on around here these days.

I mean...its not like slash was some session guitarist for GNR - he composed a lot of the solos and stuff , was in the band for many years, and plays on all the albums we currently have.

Anyway...back on topic....slash is a musician and has always played with various people in different styles of music when he felt he could add something to the song. Sometimes i've loved these, sometimes they wern't to my exact taste...but its cool that he deiversifies and tries new things...and most of the time he kicks ass at them IMO.

Anyway...and to the guy who said he thought slash was cool till this. Well....who you work with isn't what makes a person cool....and just take a look at the guy....he's been one of the coolest mofos around for like 30 years now....lol

Got it all right there. Agree with all of that 100%.

Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2007, 02:22:29 AM »

I remember watching The Tonight Show with Leno and Paulina was performing.  I hardly ever watch the musical guests unless it's someone I like. 

But she's sooo hot and knows how to use a mic stand.  drool  I'm guessing she's a fan of GN'R and asked Slash to join.  It's not like Slash is replying to wants ads or anything.

Plus, musicians need inspiration for their work.  If it needs to come from a Spanish pop album, so be it.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2007, 10:26:13 AM »

I could care less who Slash works with.. Power to him...

oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2007, 11:26:51 AM »

Guitar, Mandolin, Cello? (1994)

Guitar, Producer? (2001)

Guitar? (2002)

Guitar? (2003)

to name just a few.

"Greatest Artists of All Time" Huh----maybe greatest artists no-one's ever hreard of......

call me ignorant in music.......but when I think of greatest artists, none of the people listed come to mind hihi
Lethalis
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2007, 03:36:02 PM »

"Greatest Artists of All Time" Huh----maybe greatest artists no-one's ever hreard of......

call me ignorant in music.......but when I think of greatest artists, none of the people listed come to mind hihi
He played with Nena  Grin

I have to be honest here, but Fortus is a damn good guitar player. Fame alone doesn't say that much. Slash needed Axl to become famous, and you need to have a name before you can start playing with other big artists. Lenny Kravitz and Micheal Jackson wouldn't have known Slash if it wasn't for Guns and Roses.

[edit]
And I just wanted to add that I like Slash as well. I don't think it's fair to dis either of them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2007, 03:41:26 PM by Lethalis » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: