Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 03:24:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Velvet Revolver influences the new Europe Album...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Velvet Revolver influences the new Europe Album...  (Read 3240 times)
tomass74
Legend

« on: January 29, 2007, 10:57:55 AM »

Say what you want but I actually bought this CD a few weeks ago because I read it was good and it is.. It actually fucking rocks.. The funny thing is that when I listened to it, it did remind me of VR at times and I actually said that to someone. .. Some of the guitar tones sound like Slither and such.  It really is a pretty cool album.

JOHN NORUM Says EUROPE's Current Musical Direction Is Influenced By AUDIOSLAVE, VELVET REVOLVER - Jan. 29, 2007 

EUROPE guitarist John Norum recently spoke with "The Hairball John Radio Show" about the bands new, critically acclaimed release "Secret Society". Norum also voiced his distaste for the whole "'80s rock scene" and commented on why he originally left EUROPE after the highly successful "Final Countdown" release.

John Norum: "Well, I didn?t really like the direction the band was going. We became this teeny-bopper, bubblegum band and I hated that whole image, the spandex, poodle-rock type of thing. I was more into the heavier, guitar-oriented stuff and it seemed like the keyboards were taking over more and more, and we were becoming more commercial. So I decided to leave. I didn't really care if the album was number one in thirty countries at the time. It didn't really matter. I just wanted to move on and do something else."

Hairball John: What was the bands musical mindset when going in to record the new record "Secret Society"?

John Norum: "Some people just thought we were going to go in and record another 'Final Countdown'. That would be the dumbest thing we could ever do, because we all have moved on. We had gotten into a lot of the newer bands like AUDIOSLAVE and VELVET REVOLVER and I got a kind of influence from those bands and started tuning the guitars a little different and getting into some heavier stuff."

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:06:39 AM »

Say what you want but I actually bought this CD a few weeks ago because I read it was good and it is.. It actually fucking rocks.. The funny thing is that when I listened to it, it did remind me of VR at times and I actually said that to someone. .. Some of the guitar tones sound like Slither and such.  It really is a pretty cool album.

JOHN NORUM Says EUROPE's Current Musical Direction Is Influenced By AUDIOSLAVE, VELVET REVOLVER - Jan. 29, 2007 

EUROPE guitarist John Norum recently spoke with "The Hairball John Radio Show" about the bands new, critically acclaimed release "Secret Society". Norum also voiced his distaste for the whole "'80s rock scene" and commented on why he originally left EUROPE after the highly successful "Final Countdown" release.

John Norum: "Well, I didn?t really like the direction the band was going. We became this teeny-bopper, bubblegum band and I hated that whole image, the spandex, poodle-rock type of thing. I was more into the heavier, guitar-oriented stuff and it seemed like the keyboards were taking over more and more, and we were becoming more commercial. So I decided to leave. I didn't really care if the album was number one in thirty countries at the time. It didn't really matter. I just wanted to move on and do something else."

Hairball John: What was the bands musical mindset when going in to record the new record "Secret Society"?

John Norum: "Some people just thought we were going to go in and record another 'Final Countdown'. That would be the dumbest thing we could ever do, because we all have moved on. We had gotten into a lot of the newer bands like AUDIOSLAVE and VELVET REVOLVER and I got a kind of influence from those bands and started tuning the guitars a little different and getting into some heavier stuff."

how can he say his distaste to the scene when he was apart of a band that made up the highly crappy and cheesy elements of the 80s along with bon jovi and the likes, i dont care if he claims he left because he felt they went commercial, he allowed it to go that way in his time there clearly.

html sucks
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 05:17:15 PM »

John Norum is a sick guitar player......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siYhAAIKch4&eurl=
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 06:23:59 PM »

John Norum is a sick guitar player......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siYhAAIKch4&eurl=

pretty cool blues solo.

html sucks
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 12:47:59 PM »

Am I the only one who's only heard "Final Countdown" by Europe and none of their other songs?  Embarrassed

Fuck 'Em All.
Dr. Blutarsky
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 06:20:15 PM »

Am I the only one who's only heard "Final Countdown" by Europe and none of their other songs?  Embarrassed

Nope, I am in the same boat as you.

1̶2̶/̶1̶3̶/̶0̶2̶ - T̶a̶m̶p̶a̶,̶ ̶F̶L̶
10/31/06 - Jacksonville, FL
10/28/11 - Orlando, FL
3/3/12 - Orlando, FL
7/29/16 - Orlando, FL
8/8/17 - Miami, FL
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 08:36:26 AM »

Well their old stuff was pretty 80's obviously.. But the new album is real good and I recommend it to anyone who likes VR.. I heard their last one was good too.

DeadHorse
Rocker

Where's my cinder block

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 01:06:38 PM »

Thanks for the info thomas74, that cd rocks.

I was very suprised in thier sound and how much they have grown from the 80's.

Books are useless! I only ever read one book, ?To Kill A Mockingbird,? and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds.
Nighteyes
VIP

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 03:59:37 PM »

hmm,have to check it out then..
i've only liked two songs by them, rock the night and carrie ( hihi)
i agree with Norum, usually don't like that kind of music either Tongue

shit happens when you party naked
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 04:21:21 PM »

woman, you must like "the final countdown" that's a motherfucking rock anthem classic hihi even if you don't like it now, you must have liked it before?
Nighteyes
VIP

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 05:09:11 PM »

woman, you must like "the final countdown" that's a motherfucking rock anthem classic hihi even if you don't like it now, you must have liked it before?

hahaha,actually,i can't remember if i ever liked it,maybe i did,a loong time ago,just dont care about it anymore Tongue
but i've heard a version with toy dolls that has that intro with a kazoo (sp?name?),thats just hilarious  hihi

shit happens when you party naked
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: