Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 04:52:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Format of the New Video??
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Format of the New Video??  (Read 3612 times)
RoCoKiN
VIP

I am The Shackler in the Rye with Diamonds!!

« on: January 22, 2007, 09:58:26 AM »

Well, hopefully we will be seeing a new video surface in the next couple of months so what I'm wondering is what kind of video do you think it will be or hope it will be?  Will it be a collection of live footage like Live and Let Die and Dead Horse; will it be story driven like November Rain or Estranged; or will it be obscure and artsy and filled with symbollic images?  Personally, I don't care what it is like as long as Axl doesn't lip sync to the camera with over dramatic looks and melancholy expressions like we see in alot of videos these days!

'...Oh, my distorted smile...'
rds.06
Jackie!!!
Rocker

"I'm Melting"

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 10:06:43 AM »

Well, hopefully we will be seeing a new video surface in the next couple of months so what I'm wondering is what kind of video do you think it will be or hope it will be?? Will it be a collection of live footage like Live and Let Die and Dead Horse; will it be story driven like November Rain or Estranged; or will it be obscure and artsy and filled with symbollic images?? Personally, I don't care what it is like as long as Axl doesn't lip sync to the camera with over dramatic looks and melancholy expressions like we see in alot of videos these days!

After all this time i think axl might have something good planned. The only thing that concerns me is the money available for this, i dont how much the label would be willing to cough up, unless axl funds it himself. We need something amazing to get the music worlds attention, but it could be live footage if there is no budget. Grin 

"to live with fortune and fame"
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 01:07:16 PM »

i don't even really need to see a video.  they are kinda outdated these days, and it's not necessary for bands to make videos like it was in the 80s and 90s.  one example that i can think of off the top of my head is radiohead's kid a and amnesiac album, for which no videos were made.  (actually i think there was a video made for idioteque after the fact, but didn't coincide with that album).   instead, they made a bunch of short animated 'blips' and distributed them in weird ways, like online.

"This isn't McDonald's or Burger King - it isn't 'Have it your way.'"
- Axl Rose, as cited by Del James
madagas
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 01:10:25 PM »

And neither album sold platinum.... Roll Eyes I love Radiohead but that time period for them was very anti promotion anti sales friendly persona.
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 01:16:30 PM »

Tool's 10,000 Days was also released without a video and has to this point still no promotional videos to its credit. It was most recently on its way or has most likely passed at this point and is awaiting double-platinum certification here in the States. I'm not saying I don't want a video from GN'R, or that a video wouldn't help. But as was said before, the era of videos is pretty much dead or dying. They're dated now. Videos are for hip hop, pop, and emo shit. Rock n' roll and metal bands don't need or frequently even have videos anymore. When the main catalyst for having such videos in the first place is in a position where they virtually refuse to play videos anymore, and the only other alternatives are to be somehow crammed into a "rock" themed show on another channel solely devoted to the music of effeminate "hardcore" boys and masculine "emo" girls, is it best to forgo videos altogether? We'll see. Axl seems to have maintained something of a positive relationship with MTV all these years, not that that's necessarily something to be proud of. Not even NIN really makes videos anymore.
Nytunz
Legend

Spiral Out.....

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 01:29:08 PM »

yeah, it seams like it is more "in the time" to release concerts DVD`s and stuff like that, some time after the album. But, alot of
bands still make music videos.. and im sure GnR will make a couple to.. But i think a DVD with alot of snacks would be awsome  ok

Nytunz.blogspot.com

DONT YOU TRY TO STOP US NOW!!

CENSORSHIP IS A CANCER..
Soori
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 01:32:52 PM »

a video wouldnt be a bad thing...they mite create one video.
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 01:57:58 PM »

And neither album sold platinum.... Roll Eyes I love Radiohead but that time period for them was very anti promotion anti sales friendly persona.

sales aren't everything, and I really admire radiohead for recognizing this and not "selling out' like corporate whores.  commercial music sucks (and the cost and delay of this new GNR record is a great big "fuck you" to corporate rock. 

anyhow, there are many many highly influential records that never sold shit, examples the stooges raw power and the velvet underground and nico.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 02:00:26 PM by nonlinear » Logged

madagas
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 02:09:20 PM »

Agree. I would love Axl to go in the direction of Radiohead. However, for him to do that, Chinese needs to sell. The only reason I care if it sells is so that we can get another record from the new band. Trust me, I don't care if there is a video or not. I just want a cool album. ok
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 02:12:39 PM by madagas » Logged
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 02:22:10 PM »

Ok one of the greatest rock bands is making a comeback and some people are saying they don't really need a video Huh LOL funniest thing i've heard of course you need a video or else the thing won't sell.  They put out a single with no video equals DOOM now I don't know why this is even being brought up cause Axl said in his letter there will be a video.  My guess its either gonna be live footage or some kind of storyline, i'd prefer storyline but i'd take anything im so excited its gonna be a great year for rock music.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
dizzy68
Banned
Rocker

Here Forever!

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 02:25:11 PM »

A video would be great. But let's see if he can even manage to release the music first. One step at a time.

HOT GIRL VIDEO HERE
Click here to check her out.
nonlinear
VIP

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 02:32:37 PM »

well i dunno, videos are what ruined pop music.  as soon as videos came on the scene, music moved towards looking and acting cool and trendy, as opposed to making great music.  videos are for kids.  honestly, i don't give a fuck what a band looks like or how they dress, it's the music that matters.

and i really don't care how much this album sells.  it seems like 95% of people on this board want GNR to become massive sell outs again, so they can look cool at school because they listened to GNR first.

Personally, I prefer it when bands are a bit more obscure.  then you get opportunities to see them up close and personal in venues like Hammerstein.

dizzy68
Banned
Rocker

Here Forever!

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2007, 02:35:09 PM »

Videos just arn't what they once were anyway. When I was growing up M-TV was the biggest thing. Now they don't even play Videos anymore! Same thing with VH-1. The only place I can find videos on my cable system is M-TV 2 and I don't think most cable systems even carry that channel.

HOT GIRL VIDEO HERE
Rockin' Rose
VIP

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2007, 02:57:55 PM »

I have a feeling that Axl has a story to tell, something he is going to tell by the songs and videos that carry the themes of the songs.

Na Naa Naa Naa Na Naa Naa...
DunkinDave
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2007, 03:51:52 PM »

Axl said in the Eddie Trunk interview that he thought the old videos were cheesy, but he enjoyed filming them.
jimb0
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2007, 07:36:14 PM »

I want dolphins or him jumping in to find the monkey
dizzy68
Banned
Rocker

Here Forever!

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2007, 09:39:45 PM »

I want dolphins or him jumping in to find the monkey

Any Video with a Monkey is instantly cool!   hihi

HOT GIRL VIDEO HERE
RJ1221
Rocker

5 dolla Spock bill!

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 09:55:01 PM »

you need a video now adays to get exposure
Saul
My custom title starts now
Legend

I was the killer.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2007, 10:11:41 PM »

I think it's obvious there will be videos based on axl's letter after firing Merck.

Loaded NightraiN
17.5% Alcohol By Volume
Legend

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2007, 10:42:02 PM »

I think it's obvious there will be videos based on axl's letter after firing Merck.

Agreed....

Some albums can work w/o a video.. Not this one!
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: