Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2024, 05:26:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228454 Posts in 43273 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Catchy Songs Sell
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Catchy Songs Sell  (Read 5835 times)
EFISH
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 04:20:44 PM »

Better should (will) be the first single.

A good second single would be Madagascar....and I'm sure that would make an amazing music video.
dizzy68
Banned
Rocker

Here Forever!

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 07:52:07 PM »

The blues would probably be a touching romantic video with candles and stuff.

HOT GIRL VIDEO HERE
Click here to check her out.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 08:24:10 PM »

I hope it's The Blues. I love that song.

Better is very "catchy" the kind of song you have in your head after you hear it.  But I do like the Blues...the piano intro. does the same. ok

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
freedom78
Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 11:55:21 PM »

irs sucks.

Wrong.

its not a good song.

Uh-uh.

it's borring, it's annoying and the beat sucks.

No.

Anyway, I agree that IRS is more "catchy" than Better, because it has better sing-along potential.  That doesn't make it BETTER than Better.  I think it's not quite as good as Better.  But Better doesn't have that rhyming quality that is necessary for something to be catchy. 

Then again, I don't usually go for catchy (though catchy does get stuck in my head).  I prefer power and uniqueness.  When Axl starts screaming "I never wanted you to be so full of anger"...yeah, that does it for me.  I'm certain Better will be a single, though I'm not as sure about IRS.  I'm really more interested to see whether GNR puts out Maddy or The Blues (or, if both, which comes first).

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 12:27:22 AM »

IRS is way better than Better for this line alone

"I had my dogs on  yooooouu ooooo ooooooh    eckkkahhhhh ahhhh ahhhhh ahhhhhh"[/b]

Betters Guitar Tone is Very Irritating to the Ears.
I want whatever you smoked to hear that.

yeah, what part of the song was that in?  hihi
grog mug
Legend

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2007, 03:42:29 AM »

You have to listen to Better at least 10 times before you get the full "gist" of the chorus.  Most people don't know the words, the words are simple in I.R.S, but BETTER is a way BETTER track.  Madagascar is still the best among the new songs though.
liesin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2007, 03:49:41 AM »

better is a "better" single...

think I need some sleep know.
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2007, 11:07:21 AM »

You have to listen to Better at least 10 times before you get the full "gist" of the chorus.  Most people don't know the words, the words are simple in I.R.S, but BETTER is a way BETTER track.  Madagascar is still the best among the new songs though.

My big problem with IRS is that the chorus is in it like 10,000 times. If it weren't for that, I'd like it just as much as Better.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2007, 04:14:33 PM »

I love how the chorus turns on IRS. That after "you know it's true" is mind blowing.

I think IRS and Better are both very catchy. Better is in the contemporary form while the style of IRS is rather classic/timeless.
acompleteunknown
Rocker

I got a message for you...

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2007, 07:17:42 PM »

If we're talking about picking a song that's going to be catchy to the general public...then I'd have to say Catcher in the Rye.  Especially with the "Na-na-na-na-na" part.  That kind of stuff screams pop radio single.

What are the Eleven Best songs by....

http://goodbadunknown.blogspot.com/
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2007, 07:35:24 PM »

I think Better is much more catchy than IRS. Let's not forget that when the IRS leak was played on the radio last year MANY TIMES, that nobody really took notice. Of course it was only a demo but not many people were really impressed by the song. I love IRS personally but in today's world and the way the radio is these days, it just wouldn't do well at all.  Times have changed and the songs that get played on the radio just aren't as good as they used to be. Of course people here say, "These songs will be played on the radio so much because there haven't been any songs like this released, blah blah blah." But think about it, the songs that get played on radio today get played so much because PEOPLE OUT THERE LISTEN TO THEM AND WANT TO HEAR THEM.  The average music fan's taste in music has changed over the years and songs like The Blues, Madagascar and CD that people here think will actually get played on the radio, JUST WON'T. Maybe in other countries it's possible but not in the country I live in. Our radio fucking sucks anymore and it's sad. I can't even listen to the radio because it's the same Nickelback song getting played over and over again.

Of all of the songs we have heard so far, Better is the only one that has a chance at a good amount of radio play. That's just being realistic and thinking outside of the "GNR BOX" that so many of us are stuck in. I'm not even being negative because I love the new songs but The Blues isn't going to ever get played on the radio 10 times a day like some of the songs out there today. It just won't happen.

But of course, CATCHY SONGS SELL. That's just an obvious fact.  But radio play isn't the only thing that's going to sell this album to people. There are a lot of albums that are a success that you never hear played on the radio these days.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
estranged27
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2007, 05:10:24 AM »

songs generally get more airplay if the band is recognised or has just had a hit single. say the blues is the second single, it will only go really well if better is a success. this story rings true for the james blunt songs goodbye my lover and wise men, which would not have done well at all if not for the success of you're beautiful
if the first two are a big success we could see up to six singles released from the album

by the way i hate james blunt with a passion
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2007, 05:28:32 AM »

Better is catchy, and in many other ways the right choice for the first single too. B-side should be The Blues or Madagascar.

Anyway, I think the first lines are catchy enough:
"No one ever told me when I was alone, they just thought I'd know better, better.."

And then this powerful piece followed by the line above again is the most catchy part:
"So bittersweet, this tragedy won't ask for absolution, this melody inside of me still searches for solution, a twist of fate, a change of heart kills my infatuation, a broken heart, provides the spark for my determination.."

Beautiful.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
doooodickiebr
VIP

Police and niggaz...get outta my way!

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2007, 07:10:40 AM »

yes, better will be a pop hit

Baton Rouge, LA 1992
New Orleans, LA 1992
Biloxi, MS  2002 Cancelled!!!!
Kansas City, MO 2011
New Orleans, LA 2016
Houston, TX 2016
New Orleans, LA 2019
Biloxi, MS 2023
Mauve_All
Rocker

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2007, 07:46:38 AM »

yes, better will be a pop hit

pop in the sense of popular maybe, like Sweet Child was

I'm a drinker with writing problems
http://www.myspace.com/mauve_all
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2007, 09:30:18 AM »

like 3 days ago i played 2 of the new songs to one of my girlfriends ( hihi) anyway, i played her better and the blues she loooved the blues (of course) and thought better was ok, the day later the first thing she said to me good god i Loove better and i was like better or the blues? and she said BETTER headbanger i played her IRS yesterday and she said, well it was not as good as the first 2
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2007, 09:34:15 AM »

Yeah, Better has to be the first single. No matter who I've played it for, GN'R fan or not, they have loved the song. It will be a big hit if they decide to use it as the single. It just has so many parts that stick in people's heads. The beginning, the main riff and verses, and the chorus all are catchy as hell. It will stick in people's minds.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 09:35:58 AM by tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr » Logged
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2007, 05:30:58 PM »

I think Better is much more catchy than IRS. Let's not forget that when the IRS leak was played on the radio last year MANY TIMES, that nobody really took notice.

really?

"In early 2006, a demo of the song (IRS), along with demos of "Better", "Catcher In The Rye", and "There Was a Time" were leaked on the Internet through a Guns N' Roses fan site. The band's management requested that all links to the MP3 files and all lyrics to the songs be removed from forums and websites. Despite this, radio stations began adding "I.R.S." to playlists, and the song actually reached 49th on trade mag Radio & Records' Active Rock National Airplay chart for the final week of February 2006 - the first time an internet leak had done so."
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2007, 05:43:10 PM »

IRS is way better than Better for this line alone

"I had my dogs on  yooooouu ooooo ooooooh    eckkkahhhhh ahhhh ahhhhh ahhhhhh"[/b]

Betters Guitar Tone is Very Irritating to the Ears.
I want whatever you smoked to hear that.

lmao that line cracked me up man.

i dunno i mean, i want quality songs, cause catchy ones can be too repetative and annoying

html sucks
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2007, 12:43:40 AM »

I think Better is much more catchy than IRS. Let's not forget that when the IRS leak was played on the radio last year MANY TIMES, that nobody really took notice.

really?

"In early 2006, a demo of the song (IRS), along with demos of "Better", "Catcher In The Rye", and "There Was a Time" were leaked on the Internet through a Guns N' Roses fan site. The band's management requested that all links to the MP3 files and all lyrics to the songs be removed from forums and websites. Despite this, radio stations began adding "I.R.S." to playlists, and the song actually reached 49th on trade mag Radio & Records' Active Rock National Airplay chart for the final week of February 2006 - the first time an internet leak had done so."

Did you copy and paste that from Wikipedia??  Good source, but anyway... have you read anywhere about IRS being played on the radio and tons and tons of people calling in and requesting it and talking about how great it was?? Everything I have read or heard has been just the opposite. Sure people liked the song and it was a NEW Guns N' Roses song so of course it's going to get some radio play when it first leaks, but nobody thought the song was anything great. I love the song, don't get me wrong, but in today's world it just wouldn't be a successful single.  I think it WOULD BE A HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE MOVE IF THEY DECIDED TO USE IRS AS THE FIRST SINGLE.  So of course they won't, it will be BETTER.  Better is the only new song we have heard that has a chance at regular radio play. That's not hating on the band, that's just being realistic.  Of course I can only speak for the radio stations by where I live and nobody can ever speak for the whole fucking United States or the rest of the world, but the Cleveland area rock stations would not play any other songs on a regular basis that we have heard outside of maybe playing Better. Cleveland stations fucking suck.

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: