Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 10:48:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228480 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  chinese democracy influences
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: chinese democracy influences  (Read 9772 times)
deanaxlrose
Rocker

Hey, where's my Avatar ?

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 09:48:18 AM »

I think Chinesse Democracy (2001 version) ?sounds a bit Grunge. ?maybe That's why people Thought its Nirvana Influences.

My life is so Fuckin' Boring...Until The Chinese Democracy Comes.
alejoyp
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2007, 09:48:46 AM »

Not influence of Nirvana?? Have you ever hear the song "Chinese Democracy"?!
I personally thin k that Axl is very eclectical in his music (he loves such classical bands like Queen, Zeppelin or Nazareth as rappers like NWA, Public Enemy, industrial acts like Tool or NIN n' guys kinda Elton John or Ennio Morricone!!) He also spoke very well of bands that were original like Faith No Moer n' RHCP in late 80's, Ministry or Radiohead (n' don't forget the Nirvana cap he used to wear)... Maybe that's the principal difference of musycal styles with Slash n' Duff, a couple of old school guys... Axl told somewhere that Slash n' Duff just want to record cd's like AFD, with the 70's Aerosmith n' ACDC influence...
Anyway, Axl also told in an interview with an argentinian radio back in 2001 that they recorded some industrial-techno influences songs a time ago but they weren't be in CD... I think maybe Josh Freese who co-wrote very of that songs maybe used it for the A Perfe ct Circle album... so we can understand the appearence of Axl at the thanx of that album...
From the songs we already heard like CITR, Blues or Maddy i think there's a lot of Queen influence, n' some Lennon Plastic Ono Band's also...
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2007, 09:54:24 AM »

i think axl has taken distance towards NIN sound.
the new songs sound like .... nothing that has been done before.

especially Madagascar. This song is pure genius.

bringbackadler
I don't know who's in the band
Banned
VIP

If you aint old school, kiss my ass

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 10:13:07 AM »

It's been eight years since OMG .... I think it's highly unlikely any curerent songs on the album have that same feel. Again, that's just my opinion but none of last years leaks had that industrial sound. The title track was the closest but not really the same ...

"Adler's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference. His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked."? Izzy Stradlin
AxlRose4eva1
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 10:20:35 AM »

Not influence of Nirvana?? Have you ever hear the song "Chinese Democracy"?!
I personally thin k that Axl is very eclectical in his music (he loves such classical bands like Queen, Zeppelin or Nazareth as rappers like NWA, Public Enemy, industrial acts like Tool or NIN n' guys kinda Elton John or Ennio Morricone!!) He also spoke very well of bands that were original like Faith No Moer n' RHCP in late 80's, Ministry or Radiohead (n' don't forget the Nirvana cap he used to wear)... Maybe that's the principal difference of musycal styles with Slash n' Duff, a couple of old school guys... Axl told somewhere that Slash n' Duff just want to record cd's like AFD, with the 70's Aerosmith n' ACDC influence...
Anyway, Axl also told in an interview with an argentinian radio back in 2001 that they recorded some industrial-techno influences songs a time ago but they weren't be in CD... I think maybe Josh Freese who co-wrote very of that songs maybe used it for the A Perfe ct Circle album... so we can understand the appearence of Axl at the thanx of that album...
From the songs we already heard like CITR, Blues or Maddy i think there's a lot of Queen influence, n' some Lennon Plastic Ono Band's also...

The thanks was Axl letting Freese out of his contract and most likely for giving freese a shot.  Axl has never mention tool or APC in any interview that i have ever heard nor do any songs sound anything like tool or apc.  Axl wearing someones hat in the late 80's means nothing.  I have heard Chinese Democracy and there is absolutely nothing in that song that reminds me any bit of Nirvana.  Lyrics, voice, instruments, beats, rhythm, theme, nothing reminds me remotely of nirvana.  Elton John is definitely an influence, but it sounds to me like you like Tool, APC, and Nirvana and want them to be influences, but other than a hat Axl wore in the late 80's you have no argument.  Haha, and I love FNM, but they are completely different than GNR, maybe the fact that Axl likes to experiment and Patton likes to experiment is a similarity, but they go in completely different directions.

Oh and Better has an Industrial sound if you view NIN as industrial (some dont cause they use pop beats and lyrics).  Listen to Better then listen to The Fragile youll hear the influence
sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 10:32:53 AM »

Axl has never mention tool or APC in any interview that i have ever heard nor do any songs sound anything like tool or apc.

Such was his anonymity that when Rose attended a Radiohead show he had to undergo a thorough body search by the venue?s doorman. Three months later, in March 1998, he was spotted on the balcony of the Hollywood Palladium, watching Tool. - Kerrang, 1999

Pitman is a Tool associate. Former GNR guitar tech Billy Howerdel and Freese shared enough musical interests with Keenan to form a band with him. Axl doesn't have specifically mention every darn band / musical style he listens to in order to be influenced by them. From what I've read, he has a pretty broad range of bands / musicians he likes, enough influences to pick from in order to merge them quite fluently in his personal musical directions. Just because you fail to hear progressive ideas in the currently available songs doesn't mean they haven't been experimented upon, not to mention some of them might appear on the album.

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
DeN
Legend

I've been living on the edge so long

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 11:00:20 AM »

CD influences ?

Led Zeppelin, NIN, Beck, SOAD, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Nirvana, Queen, and some others.

but don't tell anyone.
What!!?!? Are you crazy system of a down. i love system but cd will not be influenced by soad nirvana or radiohead. more led zep, and queen as he said. some stones and others but not rh nirvana or soad.

why not ?

they can fight about it, money, it's a bag of gold.
they can fight about it, money, the story goes.
DeN
Legend

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 11:01:53 AM »

what would nirvana add to gnr sound, c'mon...

axl is not influenced by talentless bands.

go buy a couple of ears.
nirvana is one of the major bands in the last 20 years.

DeN
Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 11:07:31 AM »

Definitely not Nirvana and not SOAD haha are you crazy, what from the new songs reminds you any bit of these two bands

who said i thought about these influences based on the leaks ?

Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2007, 11:08:49 AM »

CD influences ?

Led Zeppelin, NIN, Beck, SOAD, Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Nirvana, Queen, and some others.

but don't tell anyone.

What About thin lizzy?

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2007, 11:19:07 AM »

go buy a couple of ears.

Or more. hihi

Although faint, I can already hear some nirvana influence/reference along with others on a couple of new songs.
GNR is so excellent at cooking that you may not taste each ingredient or the scum of it.
rds.06
Jackie!!!
Rocker

"I'm Melting"

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2007, 11:26:36 AM »

go buy a couple of ears.

GNR is so excellent at cooking that you may not taste each ingredient or the scum of it.

Very Poetic. smoking

"to live with fortune and fame"
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2007, 11:36:59 AM »

Very Poetic. smoking

Why, thank you for the high compliment.  smoking
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 11:50:52 AM »

Did anybody mention disco influences yet?  Grin

I suspect the album is influenced by many things. Different kinds of music, art, books, movies, current events etc etc...

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Aero
Not Axl
VIP

Not Axl

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2007, 12:09:13 PM »

Did anybody mention disco influences yet?  Grin

I suspect the album is influenced by many things. Different kinds of music, art, books, movies, current events etc etc...

/jarmo

Yeah... I belive it's more complex... remember that there's songs like madagascar who were recorded near the "old gnr" era...

On the album we have:

Buckethead (very experimental music)
Ron Thal (shreder)
Tommy (he's PUNK)
Robin (Industrial)
Fortus (he's a sesionist, he played from n sync to guns n roses)
Brain (funk)
Pitman (experimental)

Even the fucking drummer plays piano, there's LOTS of talent from so many sources, chinese democracy it's going to be comparable to the white album in what influcences matters... unless  they select the tracks following some rules to bring us an album able to be in one catalog  hihi

peace

mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2007, 12:35:34 PM »

CD influences ?

but don't tell anyone.

What About thin lizzy?

if we hear some badass melodic twin lead guitars then im sure this album will be pretty rocking

html sucks
bringbackadler
I don't know who's in the band
Banned
VIP

If you aint old school, kiss my ass

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2007, 12:45:29 PM »

Here's one for everybody :

How influential do you think the previous line-up is on the new, if any ??   Shocked

"Adler's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference. His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked."? Izzy Stradlin
DeN
Legend

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2007, 01:04:45 PM »

thin lizzy, yeah.
black rose is one of my favourite LP, and i read Axl loves it too.

when i listen to the leaks i can feel some seventies heavy metal
influences too like the old black sabbath, or some blue oyster cult.

for the disco part, i suppose it refers to the oh my god rhythm.  hihi

The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2007, 06:55:22 PM »

That Thin Lizzy - Renegade album art is badass!

That's interesting. Axl has mentioned tons of times Thin Lizzy being a heavy influence on him, and I was never really aware of those albums. That's tie-in makes tons of sense!  ok

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
axlmanatee
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2007, 10:51:28 PM »

I was listening to absoluton by muse and was thinking they have sorta a grand yet sorta electronic sound.  songs like madagascar and twat def. sorta have that same vibe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: