Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 28, 2024, 05:57:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228526 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Who Thinks Chinese Democracy will go in at number 1 on the Billboard Charts?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Who Thinks Chinese Democracy will go in at number 1 on the Billboard Charts?  (Read 21997 times)
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2007, 01:45:17 PM »

The new Arcade Fire album is scheduled to come out on March 6.  That will be tough competition IMO plus it is already being promoted.

The funny thing is that these other Bands Don't have the Name Recognition as Guns N Roses. People don't know who the fuck Arcade Fire is...

I agree but Arcade Fire seems to be getting a lot of buzz and all of their concerts have sold out.  If GNR had a single already and was promoting, it would not be tough competition but unfortunately, they are not doing that.

I just don't see how a "buzz" band is even worth mentioning against the chart placement of a Guns album. Chinese Democracy WILL be #1. I'm in amazement that this thread is still going with some sort of debate on that.
Derby Greg
Derby Tourism Ambassador
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2007, 01:49:22 PM »

I think it has a damn good chance of debuting at number 1.

Oh and who the hell is Arcade Fire???
Never even heard of them.

For the record, I'm buying 4 copies.

No one is pretending that Arcade Fire are a bigger name than GNR.

Do yourself a favour and check Arcade Fire out, they are a brilliant band. Same goes to all of you that don't know who they are. Dont rubbish a band you havent heard much of, take the opportunity to find out more about them. You might be pleasantly surprised? ok

-Greg

2002 Leeds, London
2006 London Ham, Download, London W'ley
2010 Montreal, Toronto, Reading, Dublin
2011 Rio, Arg
2012 Bham,London x2,Rotterdam, Paris,Vegasx3
2013 NYCx2
2016 Vegasx2, NYCx2, CR
tHeElEcTrIcSiNtAr
VIP

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2007, 01:54:36 PM »

I think it has a damn good chance of debuting at number 1.

Oh and who the hell is Arcade Fire???
Never even heard of them.

For the record, I'm buying 4 copies.

No one is pretending that Arcade Fire are a bigger name than GNR.

Do yourself a favour and check Arcade Fire out, they are a brilliant band. Same goes to all of you that don't know who they are. Dont rubbish a band you havent heard much of, take the opportunity to find out more about them. You might be pleasantly surprised  ok

-Greg

How the hell was I "rubbishing" the band. I was asking who they were because I never heard of them. Its a simple question that I was asking. I didnt say anyone was pretending they were bigger than GN'R.
Randy Jesus
VIP

This Never Happened, It's Just a Dream...

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2007, 02:05:40 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKtFkxJIE5s

Are you telling me that this shit is going to beat GNR?!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 02:08:03 PM by HellHole » Logged
EFISH
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2007, 02:08:47 PM »

Hahahahahaha, wow.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2007, 02:09:24 PM »

It all depends on the single. If it catches on, naturally. If not, who knows? Top 10 at best.

The first single will seal the fate, and predicting such is pointless. Alot of great singles have bombed, and alot of bad ones have prevailed. Time will tell.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
Randy Jesus
VIP

This Never Happened, It's Just a Dream...

« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2007, 02:10:51 PM »

Hahahahahaha, wow.

It sounds like something Jackamo would like...
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2007, 02:34:27 PM »

If this album is as grand in scope as people have been saying then...probably no. The portion of the record buying public who put records in the top 40 don't buy dense, complicated albums that take a lot of listens to get. Of course there are exceptions (Tool seems to do pretty well on the charts) so who knows. My gut tells me it will do pretty well sales wise (it'll probably hit a million copies after a few weeks), and do respectably on the charts (in the top 20) but I'll be surprised if it hits number 1. I don't mean it negatively, I just feel like from what we've heard it's going to be a complicated album that a lot of people aren't going to "get" at first.

Honestly, my hope for this album is that it becomes the great 'cult classic' of the GnR discography, and that the albums that follow it are the big hits. Chart success is great but longetivity is the holy grail in this day and age of music. In 20 years I want people to look back on GnR and go 'Yeah, Appetite was awesome but man...Chinese Democracy, that album was out of this world!' It should be the hidden treasure of their catalog, the same way Presence was for Led Zeppelin, or Motley Crue's album with John Corabi (don't hate, that album was awesome), or 'Animals' by Pink Floyd (an album far superior to Dark Side or the Wall in my opinion, but totally overshadowed by the popularity of those albums).

But thats just me. I'll be happy with whatever success it generates.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2007, 02:51:26 PM »

If this album is as grand in scope as people have been saying then...probably no. The portion of the record buying public who put records in the top 40 don't buy dense, complicated albums that take a lot of listens to get.

What matters isn't what the album is, but what it's conceived as. As long as you got a couple of catchy singles you can pretty much fill the rest of the disc with experimental psycho space jazz.

Of course there are exceptions (Tool seems to do pretty well on the charts) so who knows.

Tool is at the moment the most respected metal band in the world. Their legacy has grown and grown over the years, and enough metal freaks have been won over for the quality to drip down on the cred seeking younguns. GN'R of today is, well, certainly not that. An artifact with potential maybe, at best.

My gut tells me it will do pretty well sales wise (it'll probably hit a million copies after a few weeks), and do respectably on the charts (in the top 20) but I'll be surprised if it hits number 1. I don't mean it negatively, I just feel like from what we've heard it's going to be a complicated album that a lot of people aren't going to "get" at first.

That is true. GN'R were so big back in the day that it doesn't take much to relit the memories of a million housewives and motorcycle riding slipper dads. But it relies on a good promotional campaign and singles. I think we got the second factor covered, the first one however...The past doesn't exactly pump me with excitement over that aspect, but we'll see.

Honestly, my hope for this album is that it becomes the great 'cult classic' of the GnR discography, and that the albums that follow it are the big hits. Chart success is great but longetivity is the holy grail in this day and age of music. In 20 years I want people to look back on GnR and go 'Yeah, Appetite was awesome but man...Chinese Democracy, that album was out of this world!' It should be the hidden treasure of their catalog, the same way Presence was for Led Zeppelin,

I agree with that scenario. Not only would it be cool, but it is also a probable scenario considering the business and consumer group of today...

or Motley Crue's album with John Corabi (don't hate, that album was awesome), or 'Animals' by Pink Floyd (an album far superior to Dark Side or the Wall in my opinion, but totally overshadowed by the popularity of those albums).

...but now it's time to come back to reality hihi

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #69 on: January 15, 2007, 06:23:08 PM »

Tool is at the moment the most respected metal band in the world. Their legacy has grown and grown over the years, and enough metal freaks have been won over for the quality to drip down on the cred seeking younguns. GN'R of today is, well, certainly not that. An artifact with potential maybe, at best.

When the album is released, GN'R will instantly become the biggest act in rock/metal again. Just out of sheer legacy. GN'R coming back, is like when George Foreman decided to come out of retirement. Bye bye Tool.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
misterID
"Enlightened"
Banned
Legend

I did not have sexual relations with that llama

« Reply #70 on: January 15, 2007, 07:23:44 PM »

It will debut in the top 5, perhaps 2 or 3. If they do debut at 1 its a question of how long they can stay there.

If they can stay in the top 10 for six weeks it will be amazing.

GNR delusion disorder, there is help for you.
http://www.chopaway.com/evolution/forum.php
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #71 on: January 15, 2007, 07:59:06 PM »

to me the only way it won't is if some lame ass rap or cheesy throwaway pop band that the media promotes comes out the same day
i guess we'll see soon

It's not a question of "if", it's a question of for how long.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
michaelvincent
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #72 on: January 15, 2007, 10:10:02 PM »

...but now it's time to come back to reality

you know i'm right  Grin
Tyson
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2007, 12:42:01 AM »

When the album is released, GN'R will instantly become the biggest act in rock/metal again. Just out of sheer legacy. GN'R coming back, is like when George Foreman decided to come out of retirement. Bye bye Tool.
A NEW version of GNR is coming back and many close minded and jaded people will simply never accept this band as Guns N Roses.  So this, in my opinion is already a strike against them.  Having said that, I expect this album, at the very least, to sell 2 million+ copies and to be fairly profitable wordwide.  I think the record company is guaranteed a profit from this album, but exactly how much of a profit is to be determinded. 
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2007, 05:54:30 AM »

A NEW version of GNR is coming back and many close minded and jaded people will simply never accept this band as Guns N Roses.  So this, in my opinion is already a strike against them.  Having said that, I expect this album, at the very least, to sell 2 million+ copies and to be fairly profitable wordwide.  I think the record company is guaranteed a profit from this album, but exactly how much of a profit is to be determinded. 

What a lot of you aren't understanding is that most of the dense record buying public are completely unaware of any lineup changed in the band. Aside from those smart asses who can remember the name of the lead guitarist and can physically see he's no longer a member, Axl Rose is Guns N' Roses in most peoples minds. Just because of a jaded portion of the fanbase, or a few "informed" music journalists, this band will succeed with most simply because people don't know any better. They see Axl and the flood gates open, their memories of this band come back. Young kids who've only heard about it, they see the name, they see Axl, and they're gonna want to be a part of it. First off, I love this incarnation of the band as I'm sure most of us here do. But, once again, most of the general public doesn't keep tabs on this and isn't that good at remembering details beyond a band's frontman to begin with (ie they're fucking stupid). So please, let's stop using that as a reason to derail its commercial potential.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #75 on: January 16, 2007, 09:15:13 AM »

A NEW version of GNR is coming back and many close minded and jaded people will simply never accept this band as Guns N Roses.? So this, in my opinion is already a strike against them.? Having said that, I expect this album, at the very least, to sell 2 million+ copies and to be fairly profitable wordwide.? I think the record company is guaranteed a profit from this album, but exactly how much of a profit is to be determinded.?

What a lot of you aren't understanding is that most of the dense record buying public are completely unaware of any lineup changed in the band. Aside from those smart asses who can remember the name of the lead guitarist and can physically see he's no longer a member, Axl Rose is Guns N' Roses in most peoples minds. Just because of a jaded portion of the fanbase, or a few "informed" music journalists, this band will succeed with most simply because people don't know any better. They see Axl and the flood gates open, their memories of this band come back. Young kids who've only heard about it, they see the name, they see Axl, and they're gonna want to be a part of it. First off, I love this incarnation of the band as I'm sure most of us here do. But, once again, most of the general public doesn't keep tabs on this and isn't that good at remembering details beyond a band's frontman to begin with (ie they're fucking stupid). So please, let's stop using that as a reason to derail its commercial potential.

Post of the month!? ok peace

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
smugolo
Headliner

"I don't worry about nothin', no..."

« Reply #76 on: January 16, 2007, 09:41:06 AM »

the reason this album will be hugely popular is:

1. its a guns n' roses album, the name alone will sell millions

2. as much as the the public love or loathe him, axl is a legend and the last great rock rebel, every rock fan will take an interest in his comeback

GN'R 2006 - Dublin 9th June - Sheffield 18th July - Manchester 23rd July
von
VIP

Obama says knock you out

« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2007, 10:03:46 AM »

Post of the month!  ok peace

Danke  beer
sjgotnitro
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: January 16, 2007, 10:05:05 AM »

GNR Will go Number 1

You can count on it  peace

Help Needed

Looking For Video
"Hershey PA. June 1991"
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2007, 01:05:18 PM »

Yep, why not?

Like it or not GNR is never a band caters just for the cult following or the diehards on the net.
JonathanvonDoom is right. the close minded and jaded never make millions of record sales. The masses do. That's the fact.
And more,
The legacy may catch people's attention.  as a brand guarantees the quality. Good looks/ reputation/ images etc of the band may also help.
But at the end of the day it's the content (the music) that makes the millions want to buy the product(album).

It will stay number 1 cause of the fans and Axl's hard work.
and cause of the rise of the new fans cd will steadily win. ok
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: