Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 04, 2024, 08:05:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228151 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Blues
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Blues  (Read 82350 times)
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #320 on: September 10, 2005, 09:44:39 PM »

Was KROQ the station that Falcon said wouldn't touch GnR?

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
GNRisSLASH
Banned
Rocker

Ch. Democracy will be out when China's a Democracy

« Reply #321 on: September 10, 2005, 11:34:50 PM »

GNRisSlash, you make a really good point about radio and GNR not really fitting in to that equation. Radio is on the way down. Here in my area, there's one rock station that MIGHT play them. But considering the fact that they never play their old stuff, I highly doubt they will be jumping for joy over CD. The only realistic option for Axl if he wants CD to be huge is for GNR to go Top 40. I've said this before, but I seriously think Axl HAS to have a 'Vertigo' style song on the album to really get the world's attention. A song that will be played on Top 40 like U2, Green Day, Britney,etc. A song that your grandma will be singing with your little cousin. If he only relies on hard rock/classic rock stations, CD wont be talked about for very long.

The blues is a popish top 40 hit. Tommy even said gnr have a few pop songs planned for CD. If the songs are hits, the stations will play them, its that simple.  A lot of rock stations play gnr now, just because they dont in your area does not mean they are not played on others. Like I pointed out earlier,a lot of modern rock stations are dying out and changing over to a mix of classic and modern rock. 

Dave, two of the biggest markets in the US - LA and NY do NOT have hard rock stations that drive album sales.  LA has 95.5 KLSX, which plays some GnR but nothing really from new bands at all.  The station doens't drive album sales.  KROQ, which plays bands like The Killers, drives sales.  Power 106, a hip hop station, drives sales.  In NY, KLSX, plays the same music as KROQ in LA.   What no one has mentioned is satellite.  XM has The Boneyard, channell 41 and they play all hard rock.  Sirius has a hard rock station too.  But hard rock albums, by and large, have not sold well in the last 5 years in the US.  Bands like Franz Ferdinand, The White Stripes, The Killers are not in the same vein as GnR.  They are more modern rock and contrary to what you claim, are not dying.  Did you watch the MTV Awards? Which bands dominated the show? Green Day. Killers.  They are modern rock bands, not hard rock bands.  Maybe in Boston modern rock stations are failing but that is absolutlely NOT the norm in the US. 

KROQ plays gnr now. And this years mtv VMAs was the worst awards show ever. Everyone bashed it and said how boring it was. The FACT is GIS like I said more and more stations are going away from the strictly modern rock, how much more proof do you need?

http://www.kroq.com/music/mostrequested.html

KROQ does NOT play GNR in normal rotation. Maybe late night or if requested at an odd hour or during their 80s flash back hours.  And I think the VMAs sucked too.  but the FACT, as you like to say, is that hard rock was conspicuously absent.  We are in the minority. Hard Rock records don't sell like they used to. That is inarguable.

"It'll be out by 2009"
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #322 on: September 10, 2005, 11:37:14 PM »

GNRisSlash, you make a really good point about radio and GNR not really fitting in to that equation. Radio is on the way down. Here in my area, there's one rock station that MIGHT play them. But considering the fact that they never play their old stuff, I highly doubt they will be jumping for joy over CD. The only realistic option for Axl if he wants CD to be huge is for GNR to go Top 40. I've said this before, but I seriously think Axl HAS to have a 'Vertigo' style song on the album to really get the world's attention. A song that will be played on Top 40 like U2, Green Day, Britney,etc. A song that your grandma will be singing with your little cousin. If he only relies on hard rock/classic rock stations, CD wont be talked about for very long.

The blues is a popish top 40 hit. Tommy even said gnr have a few pop songs planned for CD. If the songs are hits, the stations will play them, its that simple.? A lot of rock stations play gnr now, just because they dont in your area does not mean they are not played on others. Like I pointed out earlier,a lot of modern rock stations are dying out and changing over to a mix of classic and modern rock.?

Dave, two of the biggest markets in the US - LA and NY do NOT have hard rock stations that drive album sales.? LA has 95.5 KLSX, which plays some GnR but nothing really from new bands at all.? The station doens't drive album sales.? KROQ, which plays bands like The Killers, drives sales.? Power 106, a hip hop station, drives sales.? In NY, KLSX, plays the same music as KROQ in LA.? ?What no one has mentioned is satellite.? XM has The Boneyard, channell 41 and they play all hard rock.? Sirius has a hard rock station too.? But hard rock albums, by and large, have not sold well in the last 5 years in the US.? Bands like Franz Ferdinand, The White Stripes, The Killers are not in the same vein as GnR.? They are more modern rock and contrary to what you claim, are not dying.? Did you watch the MTV Awards? Which bands dominated the show? Green Day. Killers.? They are modern rock bands, not hard rock bands.? Maybe in Boston modern rock stations are failing but that is absolutlely NOT the norm in the US.?

KROQ plays gnr now. And this years mtv VMAs was the worst awards show ever. Everyone bashed it and said how boring it was. The FACT is GIS like I said more and more stations are going away from the strictly modern rock, how much more proof do you need?

KROQ does NOT play GNR in normal rotation. Maybe late night or if requested at an odd hour or during their 80s flash back hours.? And I think the VMAs sucked too.? but the FACT, as you like to say, is that hard rock was conspicuously absent.? We are in the minority. Hard Rock records don't sell like they used to. That is inarguable.

Oh so because people hear gnr played on kroq but you think they dont means they dont? Nice one there. Who cares what the most requested bands are, I dont see U2 on there but they play them, I dont see Linken Park on that list but they play them .So what is  your point again?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 11:39:03 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #323 on: September 10, 2005, 11:53:58 PM »

Was KROQ the station that Falcon said wouldn't touch GnR?
Ye something to that effect

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« Reply #324 on: September 11, 2005, 03:11:20 AM »

The bridge that really needs to be rebuilt is to the fans. He needs to start embracing his remaining fans instead of ignoring them and driving them away.

this is possibly the best explanation of why fans like myself get frustrated and criticise Axl. you hit the nail on the head there James, it is indeed sad that Axl hasn't even offered a modicum of respect to those who have supported him for such a long time.

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
GNRisSLASH
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #325 on: September 11, 2005, 03:24:29 AM »

The blues is a popish top 40 hit. Tommy even said gnr have a few pop songs planned for CD. If the songs are hits, the stations will play them, its that simple.  A lot of rock stations play gnr now, just because they dont in your area does not mean they are not played on others. Like I pointed out earlier,a lot of modern rock stations are dying out and changing over to a mix of classic and modern rock. 

Dave, two of the biggest markets in the US - LA and NY do NOT have hard rock stations that drive album sales.  LA has 95.5 KLSX, which plays some GnR but nothing really from new bands at all.  The station doens't drive album sales.  KROQ, which plays bands like The Killers, drives sales.  Power 106, a hip hop station, drives sales.  In NY, KLSX, plays the same music as KROQ in LA.   What no one has mentioned is satellite.  XM has The Boneyard, channell 41 and they play all hard rock.  Sirius has a hard rock station too.  But hard rock albums, by and large, have not sold well in the last 5 years in the US.  Bands like Franz Ferdinand, The White Stripes, The Killers are not in the same vein as GnR.  They are more modern rock and contrary to what you claim, are not dying.  Did you watch the MTV Awards? Which bands dominated the show? Green Day. Killers.  They are modern rock bands, not hard rock bands.  Maybe in Boston modern rock stations are failing but that is absolutlely NOT the norm in the US. 

KROQ does NOT play GNR in normal rotation. Maybe late night or if requested at an odd hour or during their 80s flash back hours.  And I think the VMAs sucked too.  but the FACT, as you like to say, is that hard rock was conspicuously absent.  We are in the minority. Hard Rock records don't sell like they used to. That is inarguable.

Oh so because people hear gnr played on kroq but you think they dont means they dont? Nice one there. Who cares what the most requested bands are, I dont see U2 on there but they play them, I dont see Linken Park on that list but they play them .So what is  your point again?

KROQ does not play GnR in regular rotation. DOES NOT. What is YOUR point?

"It'll be out by 2009"
-Jack-
Kickin' it old school
Legend

DT imba

« Reply #326 on: September 11, 2005, 03:54:49 AM »

I've lived in L.A. all my life.. and while I don't listen to KROQ much anymore (xept for Loveline  hihi) I can tell you IF they do play GN'R they play it EXTREAMLY rarely... because I've NEVER heard them on it.

O and on KROQ.com you can't even request a GN'R song.. they aren't listed  rofl. What a crap station.

-jack

gnrevolution.com
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #327 on: September 11, 2005, 05:33:07 AM »

The blues is a popish top 40 hit. Tommy even said gnr have a few pop songs planned for CD. If the songs are hits, the stations will play them, its that simple.? A lot of rock stations play gnr now, just because they dont in your area does not mean they are not played on others. Like I pointed out earlier,a lot of modern rock stations are dying out and changing over to a mix of classic and modern rock.?

Dave, two of the biggest markets in the US - LA and NY do NOT have hard rock stations that drive album sales.? LA has 95.5 KLSX, which plays some GnR but nothing really from new bands at all.? The station doens't drive album sales.? KROQ, which plays bands like The Killers, drives sales.? Power 106, a hip hop station, drives sales.? In NY, KLSX, plays the same music as KROQ in LA.? ?What no one has mentioned is satellite.? XM has The Boneyard, channell 41 and they play all hard rock.? Sirius has a hard rock station too.? But hard rock albums, by and large, have not sold well in the last 5 years in the US.? Bands like Franz Ferdinand, The White Stripes, The Killers are not in the same vein as GnR.? They are more modern rock and contrary to what you claim, are not dying.? Did you watch the MTV Awards? Which bands dominated the show? Green Day. Killers.? They are modern rock bands, not hard rock bands.? Maybe in Boston modern rock stations are failing but that is absolutlely NOT the norm in the US.?

KROQ does NOT play GNR in normal rotation. Maybe late night or if requested at an odd hour or during their 80s flash back hours.? And I think the VMAs sucked too.? but the FACT, as you like to say, is that hard rock was conspicuously absent.? We are in the minority. Hard Rock records don't sell like they used to. That is inarguable.

Oh so because people hear gnr played on kroq but you think they dont means they dont? Nice one there. Who cares what the most requested bands are, I dont see U2 on there but they play them, I dont see Linken Park on that list but they play them .So what is? your point again?

You have no point since people that listen to Kroq heard gnr songs. Do you even live close enough to ny to hear kroq?

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #328 on: September 11, 2005, 12:43:56 PM »

I live in Jersey and they play GN'R on KROQ all the time since they changed formats.  Its usually the same few songs, but they get pretty heavy rotation.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #329 on: September 11, 2005, 03:24:33 PM »

I live in Jersey and they play GN'R on KROQ all the time since they changed formats.? Its usually the same few songs, but they get pretty heavy rotation.

I believe they're talking KROQ in LA, which have never had GNR in rotation. 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #330 on: September 11, 2005, 03:25:44 PM »

I live in Jersey and they play GN'R on KROQ all the time since they changed formats.? Its usually the same few songs, but they get pretty heavy rotation.

I believe they're talking KROQ in LA, which have never had GNR in rotation.?

We were talking about Kroq in NY.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #331 on: September 11, 2005, 03:58:07 PM »

Isn't that KROCK, Sterns flagship radio station?

The KROQ I've spoke about before and Vasoline73 mentioned is based in LA, they 've never given GNR any regular airplay. 

I don't think GNR will lack airplay by any means, they will get tons of spins by stations that play a mix of old and new and the classic rock stations will play the hell out them.   

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #332 on: September 11, 2005, 07:58:28 PM »

Isn't that KROCK, Sterns flagship radio station?

The KROQ I've spoke about before and Vasoline73 mentioned is based in LA, they 've never given GNR any regular airplay.?

I don't think GNR will lack airplay by any means, they will get tons of spins by stations that play a mix of old and new and the classic rock stations will play the hell out them.? ?

Stern is out of NY NOT cali.

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #333 on: September 11, 2005, 08:12:29 PM »

Thats what Falcon said.  WXRK ("K-Rock") is Sterns station.  You mistakenly called it "KROQ," which is the L.A. station. 

So Sterns station is K-Rock, NOT KROQ.  ok
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #334 on: September 11, 2005, 08:13:24 PM »

Thats what Falcon said.? WXRK ("K-Rock") is Sterns station.? You mistakenly called it "KROQ," which is the L.A. station.?

So Sterns station is K-Rock, NOT KROQ.? ok

Well as you know spell is my weakness  rofl

mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #335 on: September 11, 2005, 08:14:54 PM »

Youngunner, the reason it "bothers me", is because Axl's state of mind will come into play when/if he makes his comeback. This 'universe revolves around me' mentality that Axl has will more than likely kill 'new' GNR. Every time the band tries something, Rio, VMA's, 2002 tour, its always Axl's mindset that causes the GNR train to wreck. The new generation of music fans will quickly lose interest if he keeps using his same tactics. A few thousand forum members will not be able to sustain CD's success. He has to open his mind and broaden his horizons. If he refuses to do that, look for CD to be an immense failure. Regardless of how great the album is.

GHs sold something like 3m albums in the USA alone, CD will sell atleast that much without even trying. CD could sell close to 5-8m in the usa if its really as good as people say it is.

so are you admitting that the gnr name alone will sell cd regaredless of the songs..?
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #336 on: September 11, 2005, 08:25:02 PM »

Youngunner, the reason it "bothers me", is because Axl's state of mind will come into play when/if he makes his comeback. This 'universe revolves around me' mentality that Axl has will more than likely kill 'new' GNR. Every time the band tries something, Rio, VMA's, 2002 tour, its always Axl's mindset that causes the GNR train to wreck. The new generation of music fans will quickly lose interest if he keeps using his same tactics. A few thousand forum members will not be able to sustain CD's success. He has to open his mind and broaden his horizons. If he refuses to do that, look for CD to be an immense failure. Regardless of how great the album is.

GHs sold something like 3m albums in the USA alone, CD will sell atleast that much without even trying. CD could sell close to 5-8m in the usa if its really as good as people say it is.

so are you admitting that the gnr name alone will sell cd regaredless of the songs..?

It wont hurt. CD will sell a few million on the name  alone because they wanted to see what Axl has been up to all these years. If its a greally great album like I said it will sell closer to 5m.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 08:28:45 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #337 on: September 11, 2005, 08:29:56 PM »

Well as you know spell is my weakness? rofl

Ive never criticized your spelling, but this in this instance spelling isnt the problem because one station is K-Rock, the other is KROQ, and theyre being confused.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #338 on: September 12, 2005, 12:50:46 AM »

Well as you know spell is my weakness? rofl

Ive never criticized your spelling, but this in this instance spelling isnt the problem because one station is K-Rock, the other is KROQ, and theyre being confused.

They are said the same thus my spelling joke. I didnt know the NY K Rock was spelled but that was the one I was talking about the whole time.

GNRisSLASH
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #339 on: September 12, 2005, 02:48:58 AM »

You have no point since people that listen to Kroq heard gnr songs. Do you even live close enough to ny to hear kroq?

Dont you know anything about radio stations in the US, Dave? K is West. W is East.  WXRK is K-rock, 92.3 in NY. KROQ, 106.7 is LA. I have consistenly said KROQ does not play GnR and they dont.  They played Oh My God when it first came out and it got no requests and thus was quickly removed from rotation.

"It'll be out by 2009"
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: