Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 09:41:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Blues
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Blues  (Read 82192 times)
Continental Drift
VIP

Dj's Army

« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2005, 06:09:36 PM »

I think "Chinese Democracy" is definitely a metaphor. Otherwise, Axl better be damn sure that he's done a ton of in-depth research on Chinese history, politics, economics and sociology before releasing an album based on Chinese democracy movements. The press (and academia) will have a fuckin' field day if Axl tries to make CD some political statement (a la early U2), and he doesn't have his sh1t down cold. nervous

Like I said, I think the title is a metaphor, and plus, it lends itself to certain cover art work and themes (i.e. chinese characteristics, etc.) that both look "cool" and yet do not make one immediately think of the old band as any fonts and art work similar to AFD and UYI would.   

6/17/91  (Uniondale, NY)
7/29/92  (East Rutherford, NJ)
12/5/02  (MSG, NY, NY)
5/12/06  (Hammerstein Ballroom, NY, NY)
10/28/11 (Amway Center, Orlando, FL)
3/3/12     (House of Blues, Orlando, FL
smith13
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #181 on: May 16, 2005, 11:56:42 PM »

best of the new songs
Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #182 on: May 17, 2005, 12:13:03 AM »

I think "Chinese Democracy" is definitely a metaphor. Otherwise, Axl better be damn sure that he's done a ton of in-depth research on Chinese history, politics, economics and sociology before releasing an album based on Chinese democracy movements. The press (and academia) will have a fuckin' field day if Axl tries to make CD some political statement (a la early U2), and he doesn't have his sh1t down cold.

It is no metaphor.  However, I think CD will be the only overtly political song.  Axl doesn't want this to become the album to be a mouthpeice for some political movement, he wants it to reflect him.  I mean, he said he picked the name because it sounded cool.  I think some of you overthink these things way too much.  But what the heck do I know?

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
badapple81
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2005, 06:50:52 AM »

Funnily enough, I just got into listening to The Blues again, great lyrics, vocals and music. I love the Vegas/Rio version, not so keen on the 02 version.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2005, 02:28:00 PM »

I think "Chinese Democracy" is definitely a metaphor. Otherwise, Axl better be damn sure that he's done a ton of in-depth research on Chinese history, politics, economics and sociology before releasing an album based on Chinese democracy movements. The press (and academia) will have a fuckin' field day if Axl tries to make CD some political statement (a la early U2), and he doesn't have his sh1t down cold.

It is no metaphor.  However, I think CD will be the only overtly political song.  Axl doesn't want this to become the album to be a mouthpeice for some political movement, he wants it to reflect him.  I mean, he said he picked the name because it sounded cool.  I think some of you overthink these things way too much.  But what the heck do I know?
I don't think it is about the body politic of China either.

I think the song "Chinese Democracy" is about any dimensions of change/ transition/conversion of the established system. Or of any politic where the dominator and the ruled are from social system to an individual level.

I read the lyrics as it stands:
After failed action and reaction, there's been much impotent feeling and inertia. But the change is the inevitable current which you're going against but is soon staring you in the face. The longer you put off dealing with the reality, the further you get behind. It goes beyond your control. One day it does the worst.
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2005, 02:43:18 PM »

The name is symbolic of Axl's wry sense of humor.  There is no such thing a democracy in the nation of China so one conclusion would be that there is no such thing as this new GNR cd.  HA HA HA the jokes on us!!!
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2005, 03:58:30 PM »

CD a political song? I dont think so. There is only 2 small references to china. I dont even know why those words are in the song, it doesnt go with the rest of the lyrics. He probably just added those china references because china is in the name of the song."chinese stew" and "falun gong" could easily be taken out of the song and it not ruin the mood of the song.

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2005, 04:35:38 PM »

He probably just added those china references because china is in the name of the song.

I seriously doubt Axl would just include the lyrics for those reasons.

"Hm... gee nothing fits.  Hey! This song's called Chinese Democracy! And.. I'm hungry.. wow chinese stew!"

Uh.. Nuh?
WARose
Boredom ate us like cancer
Legend

« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2005, 04:56:51 PM »

somehow everytime i listen to the new songs i have to think about axl writing the lyrics about the album itself and how the public is thinking about it. For example the lyrics GNFNR talked about or some parts of the IRS lyrics.

Psychologically, you could consider this a reunion tour because I`ve managed to find enough pieces of my mind in order to be with you here tonight - - Axl Rose, Chicago 2002
Warren
« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2005, 03:13:57 AM »

I think The Blues is Axl's interpretation of his obsession with Stephanie. Its probably the only song we've heard that is almost guaranteed to be on CD. I love the feel of this song. Someone said this song has generic lyrics. Bullshit!! You can just feel Axl's desperation in this song.

The song called "Chinese Democracy" is almost guaranteed to be on CD, too...
And the other new "songs" played in 2001 and 2002 had to be probably on CD too... If not, why Axl would have played them ?

Madagascar and The Blues are great. These are the only new songs I can listen to. Great but not better than the UYI material (Breakdown, Civil War, Estranged, etc.) and definitely worse than AFD songs like Sweet Child or Rocket Queen !
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2005, 03:18:10 AM »

He probably just added those china references because china is in the name of the song.

I seriously doubt Axl would just include the lyrics for those reasons.

"Hm... gee nothing fits.? Hey! This song's called Chinese Democracy! And.. I'm hungry.. wow chinese stew!"

Uh.. Nuh?
Isn't it something to do with the Falun Gong documentary Axl spoke about ages and ages ago?
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2005, 03:33:00 AM »

the members left so long ago, do you think axl is still carryin gthe different parts of the 90's over to his new album? He may rant and rave on stage but who cares anymore about his feelings towards the ex members in song..

I for one am very interested to hear what he has to say about the old members and his side of the story.

I agree that Madagascar is about the old band, listen to the lyrics, sure they could be about a million different things but it is very easy to relate that to the old band.

The Blues is certainly about Stephanie.

Madagascar and the blues hit me on an emotional level similiar to Estranged

Estranged wasnt a big hit but one of the top GNR songs ever made.

Maddy and The Blues hit that level overwhelmingly to me.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
badapple81
« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2005, 04:20:50 AM »

The Blues certainly proves that Axl still has that amazing song writing ability and the ability to make the music really convey his emotions well.

dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2005, 12:56:21 PM »

the members left so long ago, do you think axl is still carryin gthe different parts of the 90's over to his new album? He may rant and rave on stage but who cares anymore about his feelings towards the ex members in song..

I for one am very interested to hear what he has to say about the old members and his side of the story.

I agree that Madagascar is about the old band, listen to the lyrics, sure they could be about a million different things but it is very easy to relate that to the old band.

The Blues is certainly about Stephanie.

Madagascar and the blues hit me on an emotional level similiar to Estranged

Estranged wasnt a big hit but one of the top GNR songs ever made.

Maddy and The Blues hit that level overwhelmingly to me.

If you listen to the clips in the middle IMO  you can tell madagascar is about the old band.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2005, 01:06:07 PM »

I realy hope "the blues" will be released as a 2nd or 3rd single. I know Axl said it won't be a single in back in 2002, but I hope the very positive feedbacks might make him change his mind. It could be a very radio friendly single. I'm sure the studio version will be giant. The few seconds I heard in the boston promo (studio extract) sound GREAT  peace

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2005, 01:14:58 PM »

I took new songs played in 02 as the messages for the fans.

CD a political song? I dont think so.

The Politic doesn't necessary means politics of government.
The politic I meant earlier was the human relations that involve the pecking order of the ruler/ supremacy and the ruled/ inferiority.
That has relevance to the society/ community of any dimensions, such as an industry, a group, a company, or a family. This system sometimes exists within an individual mindset.
Axl-rocks
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #196 on: May 24, 2005, 04:03:09 AM »

I love the blues.
Twisted Nerve 85
Rocker

« Reply #197 on: May 24, 2005, 01:44:45 PM »

I think it'll be amazing when the studio version comes out. Cause toward the end in the live 2002 version u cant really hear what he's saying cause his voice kinda gives out. Plus it was 3 yrs ago still in the "experimental" stage. With all this time to work on it, I know Axl's gonna have something great cooked up for us as far as Maddy and The Blues go  peace

Life's a bitch.......anyone who says different is selling something.
Rob
Legend

The dude abides.

« Reply #198 on: May 24, 2005, 04:39:56 PM »

Its sad that this song was the best I've heard from new GN'R so far.  Its not a bad song, but its not great.  It puts shit like Silk Worms and Oh My God to shame, but compared to old GN'R stuff its not even close.  It impresses me that it doesn't absolutely suck, but its not that great.

Yowza!!!!!!!!!
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #199 on: May 24, 2005, 04:56:16 PM »

It puts shit like Silk Worms and Oh My God to shame

If Axl wasn't a NIN fan, we wouldn't have these songs. Unfortunately he is. That's why we have these songs. Someone should have sent him an Oasis record instead  Cool
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 05:39:35 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 28 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: