Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 30, 2024, 06:00:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228138 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Blues
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Blues  (Read 82170 times)
Dust N Rose
« Reply #160 on: May 15, 2005, 04:52:05 PM »

I think 'The Blues' is the only song we've heard so far that could possibly be classified as a "Big Gun". The song has been mentioned since 99 or 2000. Axl must have high hopes for the song.

Indeed. Also everything he said in house of Blues before the song started ensures his expectations: "I think you'll like this one".
Anyway I prefer the Rio version, the slow one. Have you ever noticed in Rio version that there is an effect coming from the keyboards that sounds like a wind (during "a change that's bittersweet, that's called the blues...". It's nice.

By the way, a friend of mine once told me that this song is really cool, espcially the lyrics, but the solo seems to very epic and it doesn't fit there.
I think the solo describes exactly the desperation someone would feel in a situation like the song explains itself.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2005, 04:58:37 PM by New Rose » Logged
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #161 on: May 15, 2005, 05:02:22 PM »

I think The Blues is Axl's interpretation of his obsession with Stephanie. Its probably the only song we've heard that is almost guaranteed to be on CD. I love the feel of this song. Someone said this song has generic lyrics. Bullshit!! You can just feel Axl's desperation in this song.

discobiscuit1
Rocker

hitler bad , axl erm jury still out

« Reply #162 on: May 15, 2005, 05:06:45 PM »

Im not a fan of the first 15 secs or so, and wish the song had a bassier feel, and the guitars were a lil more looser  (say radioheadish).

But im being fussy.

Great song.

maybe the treble is dominant because of Axl's voice , doesnt need to be though.

P.S...way prefer the quicker tempo.....dont need any slow piano ballads thanks......and if they do, just piano n acoustic guitar, keep it simple n pure.

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
Dust N Rose
« Reply #163 on: May 15, 2005, 05:11:19 PM »

I think The Blues is Axl's interpretation of his obsession with Stephanie. Its probably the only song we've heard that is almost guaranteed to be on CD. I love the feel of this song. Someone said this song has generic lyrics. Bullshit!! You can just feel Axl's desperation in this song.

+madagascar I think.
Could it be Erin?
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #164 on: May 15, 2005, 05:26:54 PM »

+madagascar I think.
Could it be Erin?

IMO the blues is about steph while madagascar is about the old band.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
discobiscuit1
Rocker

« Reply #165 on: May 15, 2005, 05:30:22 PM »

Hold the front page.

Dave n I agree.

Blues is about steph (beutiful song, espec if uve ever had a relationship that broke up)......Mad, about the old band and the situation he finds himsel in now.

Madagascar being an island that drifted from the mainland.

' do not make an unatural connection with the beasts of the field'     sage advice from the bible kiddies
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #166 on: May 15, 2005, 05:31:39 PM »

I dont think Madagascar is about Erin. I think its about the people who Axl thinks are not on his side(media,pissed fans,ex-bandmembers).

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #167 on: May 15, 2005, 05:34:59 PM »

I think he knows more people than Erin, steph and the ex members.
discobiscuit1
Rocker

« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2005, 05:42:34 PM »

agreed...but i feel those songs are about those situations.

Rhiad...isnt
CD...isnt
Silkworms...maybe steph...dunno
Oh my God....predominantly ...emotional issues

You have to admit that Steph and the demise of GNR are dominat in his thoughts, and no doubt thematic in his songs. Even he said he hopes steph's son dylan can hear CD so u can assume Steph is a recurring theme.

Dust N Rose
« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2005, 05:43:55 PM »

I dont think Madagascar is about Erin. I think its about the people who Axl thinks are not on his side(media,pissed fans,ex-bandmembers).

Actually I said Erin for the Blues not for Madagascar because I thought that Erin was his biggest love in his life or something.
I agree about Madagascar. But it's not that he wants the old members back too.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #170 on: May 15, 2005, 06:15:00 PM »

I think axl has issues with alot more people other than erin, steph, and the old band. I think it's a bit myopic to attribute the new songs just to those people.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #171 on: May 15, 2005, 06:20:09 PM »

Vector, no one is saying that every song on CD is going to be about Erin, Stephanie, and ex-band members. But those people had a major impact not just on his life in general, but also on his state of mind. Its a safe bet to say that part of the album will deal with these issues.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #172 on: May 15, 2005, 07:48:27 PM »

I have a question. Its off topic but I didnt want to start a new thread about it. What do you think the song 'Chinese Democracy' is about?

killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #173 on: May 15, 2005, 08:02:58 PM »

Vector, no one is saying that every song on CD is going to be about Erin, Stephanie, and ex-band members. But those people had a major impact not just on his life in general, but also on his state of mind. Its a safe bet to say that part of the album will deal with these issues.

so why is it that every new song discussed here from blues to maddie to silkworms is about......erin....stephanie.....and the old band....

Just a hint, axl's mom died back in the late 90s, i'm sure he is working out some issues with her plus he has dated other women since steph.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2005, 08:06:56 PM »

Didn't Axl's sister die too? Might be a song about that. I also wouldnt be surprised if there's an anti-drug song about Shannon Hoon. There could also be a song about West Arkeen.

GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2005, 11:19:08 PM »

+madagascar I think.
Could it be Erin?

IMO the blues is about steph while madagascar is about the old band.

I agree that Madagascar is about the demise of the old band and in some parts about the start of the new band. People were saying that it couldn't be done without Slash and were saying Axl's a washed up has been etc and I think the following lyrics relate to that and how Axl chose to continue GNR (I won't be told anymore that I've been brought down in this storm/Forgive them that tear down my soul/It's never too late). I'm almost sure the samples at the end relate to how Axl felt the need to seperate from the other members due to them not sharing his creative vision (I had a dream/Free at last etc) and also how important Chinese Democracy is to him and his career (Maybe we gotta be extra careful cos maybe it matters more than you even know). I'm sure most of you figured that stuff out for yourselves but I thought i'd point out my interpetation of the song.

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #176 on: May 15, 2005, 11:26:21 PM »

I have a question. Its off topic but I didnt want to start a new thread about it. What do you think the song 'Chinese Democracy' is about?

I think many of us have a suspicion the title 'Chinese Democracy' could be a metaphor/inside joke for an album that's taking an incredibly long time and I think some of the lyrics also have double meanings too. 'It don't really matter, maybe i'll keep this to myself, no it don't really matter, this time i'll leave this thing to somebody else' every time I hear Axl sing that I have this feeling it's like him saying 'Fuck you, I dont have to release this shit,i'll release it on my own time, be patient, I could just keep this album to myself and leave you with the shit that's in the charts now'. Obviously I could be completely wrong, again just something i've been thinking bout.

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
mikegiuliana
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2005, 07:33:54 AM »

the members left so long ago, do you think axl is still carryin gthe different parts of the 90's over to his new album? He may rant and rave on stage but who cares anymore about his feelings towards the ex members in song..
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2005, 08:08:36 AM »

I've always thought if Axl would make a song about hating the ex-members, he would do something like Double Talkin' Jive, Get In The Ring or Right Next Door To Hell.

jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2005, 04:31:43 PM »

GNFNR, nice interpretation. I agree it can have several different meanings. The best thing about the material we've heard is the style of lyrics that are used. Each song we've heard could have different meanings. CD is definitely just a metaphor. The song or album have nothing to do with China.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 28 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: