Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 28, 2024, 05:12:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228126 Posts in 43262 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  The Blues
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Blues  (Read 81895 times)
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #140 on: May 14, 2005, 04:19:31 PM »

Yes..still love the blues but i prefer the slower guitar ending in the first few versions i heard like in rio3..Love the weaving of the guitar along with Axls weaving voice at the end....I dont like the later live versions as much with the faster playing at the end it u get what im trying to say.. ok

I disagree I love how Fortus added the outro to the blues. The orginal from hob and rio sounded empty but Fortus made it so much better
To tell you the truth, Fortus is the only new guitarist who has really conviced me. As you may know, I can't stand buckethead, and Robin Finck, although he is an ok guitar player, is absolutely nowhere near of Slash. He has never really convinced me. I know at least 2 guitarists (friends of mine) in Paris who totally blow Robin away and they are not professionals. One of them is going to enter Berklee music school in Boston (the best musical school in the world), he is only 19. and for me he is even better than Angus Young. He is probably close to Slash.
Fortus is the only one who can make justice to Slash among all the new guitarists. He always plays with the right vibe. He has a certain class when he plays.? I hope to hear more from him, I need more than my '02 bootlegs.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 04:31:09 PM by nesquick » Logged

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #141 on: May 14, 2005, 04:31:55 PM »

I am really tired of people claiming Robin doesnt do slashs song justice he plays SCOM just like slash but I guess that is not good enough. As for BH, BH blows slash away, its too bad BH left. I hope they can get someone as good as BH to replace him.

here is robin doing the scom solo, he plays it just like slash.
http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/shortclips/finckscomny.wmv
here is another
http://www.newgnr.com/dloads/shortclips/finckscomrio.wmv

The fact of the matter is you guys want to compare Slashs play on the studio albums while comparing the new guys playing live. Listen to slash playing live and he is all over the place .
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 04:38:23 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #142 on: May 14, 2005, 04:36:28 PM »

If so much people claim that, it's because it may be true...don't you think?

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #143 on: May 14, 2005, 04:39:18 PM »

No its because they want slash back and cant get over it. Read all the reviews for the shows, 90% of them say they sound just like the old band and if you closed your eyes you would not know the difference.

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #144 on: May 14, 2005, 04:48:07 PM »

No its because they want slash back and cant get over it. Read all the reviews for the shows, 90% of them say they sound just like the old band and if you closed your eyes you would not know the difference.
They just need to play their own materiel. that's it. When I listen to "the blues" or "madagascar" I don't think to Slash or to the old band.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #145 on: May 14, 2005, 06:08:04 PM »

I'd like to know if it's the same for you, instand classic yes or no?

classic yes

To be frank, of all the new songs, I like the blues the least, while admitting it's a good song. Undecided
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #146 on: May 14, 2005, 07:25:35 PM »

I hope they can get someone as good as BH to replace him.
I missed that point. I'll answer you: Buckethead doesn't need to be replaced. No need a 3rd guitarist. Why? it is not necessary. Let's share the guitar parts between Richard and Robin. 50/50. On that point, I totally agree with Tommy (Stinson) when he said the band can continue with 2 guitarists. Don't forget there are also 2 keyboards behind, and, for the cohesion and image of the band, a cohesive pair of guitar players is way better than 3 individual musicians without connexion. Did you see the '02 bootlegs? Buckethead stayed on the right side of the stage all along, no connexion and no chemistry with the rest of the band, there was the band, and there was Buckethead, alone on his side. Is it what you want? a 3rd useless guitar player appart of the band? I don't think it would be a good idea at all. The cohesion of the band is more important than bringing a 3rd guitar player coming from nowhere.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 07:32:19 PM by nesquick » Logged

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #147 on: May 14, 2005, 07:32:17 PM »

I missed that point. I'll answer you: Buckethead doesn't need to be replaced. No need a 3rd guitarist. Why? it is not necessary. Let's share the guitar parts between Richard and Robin. 50/50. On that point, I totally agree with Tommy (Stinson) when he said the band can continue with 2 guitarists. Don't forget there are also 2 keyboards behind, and, for the cohesion and image of the band, a cohesive pair of guitar players is way better than 3 individual musicians without connexion.

This is one point some people just cannot see to comprehend, but Ill say this again. Yes you do not need a 3rd guitarists play the old gnr songs but the new gnr songs were written for 3 guitarist thus you will need a 3rd player to play those parts. How hard is that to understand?

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #148 on: May 14, 2005, 07:36:58 PM »

I missed that point. I'll answer you: Buckethead doesn't need to be replaced. No need a 3rd guitarist. Why? it is not necessary. Let's share the guitar parts between Richard and Robin. 50/50. On that point, I totally agree with Tommy (Stinson) when he said the band can continue with 2 guitarists. Don't forget there are also 2 keyboards behind, and, for the cohesion and image of the band, a cohesive pair of guitar players is way better than 3 individual musicians without connexion.

This is one point some people just cannot see to comprehend, but Ill say this a game. Yes you do not need a 3rd guitarists play the old gnr songs but the new gnr songs were written with 3 guitarist thus you will need a 3rd player to play those parts. How hard is that to understand?
Buckethead wasn't even onstage during "the blues" on some botlegs. He didn't play on it. And concerning the new matrial, nobody knows. But When I hear I.R.S. there is definitely no reason for bringing a 3rd guitarist. the guitar parts are quite basic and can easily be played by 2 guitarists.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #149 on: May 14, 2005, 07:41:10 PM »

This is one point some people just cannot see to comprehend, but Ill say this a game. Yes you do not need a 3rd guitarists play the old gnr songs but the new gnr songs were written with 3 guitarist thus you will need a 3rd player to play those parts. How hard is that to understand?
Buckethead wasn't even onstage during "the blues" on some botlegs. He didn't play on it. And concerning the new matrial, nobody knows. But When I hear I.R.S. there is definitely no reason for bringing a 3rd guitarist. the guitar parts are quite basic and can easily be played by 2 guitarists.

How many new songs that are going to make CD? 3 tops. If they had three guitarists they all going to be on the album and will be needed for the tour. How do you know they dont need one? I think they need one because that is what they had before. Its like saying when Izzy quit, well they dont need to replace him they have slash and duff.

As for IRS its just a demo, you cant take anything from that. You really think that robin and fortus can shred like BH can? I dont think so, thus they will need a shredder for those parts on the new songs.

The thing to remember the blues, cd and madagascar were all written before BH joined the band.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 07:46:42 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #150 on: May 14, 2005, 07:50:06 PM »

In my opinion, the 3 guitarists thing was a "luxe" wich wasn't necessary and wich caused more damages for the image of the band than anything else.. Axl just wanted to say "look I have 3 guitar players now so forget Slash". Everybody who is a little bit observative can easily note the band didn't need 3 guitar players. Concerning the new material, if Tommy said the band can continue with 2 guitarists, it means the new songs can be played with 2 guys. Why shouldn't trust him?? As far as I know, He is an insider, he knows what he is talking about.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 07:55:18 PM by nesquick » Logged

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #151 on: May 14, 2005, 07:55:48 PM »

In my opinion, the 3 guitarists thing was a "luxe". Axl just wanted to say "look I have 3 guitar players now so forget Slash". Everybody who is a little bit observative can easily note the band didn't need 3 guitar players. Concerning the new material, if Tommy said the band can continue with 2 guitarists, it means the new songs can be played with 2 guys. So why shouldn't trust him?? As far as I know, He is an insider, he knows what he is talking about.

So you would rather not get to hear the songs on they appear on the album (with three guitars) and feel like something is missing? You can say or think what you want but if Axl is still looking, they are going to have three.

nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

« Reply #152 on: May 14, 2005, 08:01:09 PM »

Nobody knows if Axl is still looking for a 3rd guitarist. Au contraire mon fr?re, I rather heard from different sources they might roll with Richard and Robin in the futur. Oh yeah and for the albums, the guitars are always doubled. On Oasis records, there are 4 guitar parts on the rockers, are they 4 guitarists? No, they are 2.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2005, 08:02:44 PM by nesquick » Logged

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2005, 08:16:45 PM »

And what sources are those? I love how on this board people claim robin sucks yet say that they dont need anyone to replace BH.

HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #154 on: May 14, 2005, 08:20:41 PM »

In my opinion, the 3 guitarists thing was a "luxe". Axl just wanted to say "look I have 3 guitar players now so forget Slash". Everybody who is a little bit observative can easily note the band didn't need 3 guitar players. Concerning the new material, if Tommy said the band can continue with 2 guitarists, it means the new songs can be played with 2 guys. So why shouldn't trust him?? As far as I know, He is an insider, he knows what he is talking about.

So you would rather not get to hear the songs on they appear on the album (with three guitars) and feel like something is missing? You can say or think what you want but if Axl is still looking, they are going to have three.
Realistically, we don't know who played on which tracks so it's impossible for anyone to say that GNR MUST have 3 guitars on stage to replicate the album, it would just be an assumption.

Perhaps some of the tracks do rely on a complex interweaving of three distinct guitar parts but I find to be a little unlikely, and probably not the rule for the album as a whole.

Now, I am one of the people who'd like to see GNR pick up a replacement for BH - but not because I think there's a need to have 3 guitars just because that's what they had a few years ago. The reason I'd like to see GNR add a guitarist is simply because I think it was a very bold move to throw in a massively talented virtuoso with a broad stylistic range to compliment the new band's sound, especially one as unique as BH. Having him in the band seperated GNR from the standard popular rock band immediately and distinctly, it said volumes about the paths the band is willing to travel musically and their commitment to evolving beyond the cock-rock band cliche. If tomorrow GNR announced that they'd added another guitar and that it would be Dave Navarro or Zakk Wylde or even, god forbid, Slash himself it wouldn't excite me. I'd like to see them cast their net further and bring in another highly talented, unique individual who has the capacity to take GNR to a level beyond a rock-revival act. It's important not only to GNR but to music in general, a successful new GNR with an advanced musical scope would serve to broaden the discourse and challenge the boundaries of what is acceptable, or, ?if you like, "cool", for a commercial rock band to do, whereas a succesful new GNR limited to standard rock-fare may still be a revelation for GNR fans but would make no lasting impact, other than to perhaps spawn a number of lesser scenster rock bands as the old GNR did. ?
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #155 on: May 14, 2005, 08:44:20 PM »

I think 'The Blues' is the only song we've heard so far that could possibly be classified as a "Big Gun". The song has been mentioned since 99 or 2000. Axl must have high hopes for the song.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #156 on: May 14, 2005, 08:49:03 PM »

I think 'The Blues' is the only song we've heard so far that could possibly be classified as a "Big Gun". The song has been mentioned since 99 or 2000. Axl must have high hopes for the song.

Madagascar is a masterpiece IMO>

GNFNR_UK
Rocker

I want to believe...

« Reply #157 on: May 14, 2005, 10:02:21 PM »

Yep, I agree. Both those could be considered 'Big Guns' i believe.

On a side note, about The Blues, it still cracks me up how some people on this board think the lyrics are about Slash! It is obviously a love song, do you really think Axl would write a piano ballad about Slash's departure??!!LOL!
'What I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore'... You think he wrote that for Slash?!! Come on!!!!

'This is just a horrible divorce, now he (Axl) is looking for a new wife.  His ex wife, Duff and Slash, are remarried and happy' - Smoking Guns on the break up of the original GNR.
HK-47
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #158 on: May 14, 2005, 10:15:43 PM »

Yep, I agree. Both those could be considered 'Big Guns' i believe.

On a side note, about The Blues, it still cracks me up how some people on this board think the lyrics are about Slash! It is obviously a love song, do you really think Axl would write a piano ballad about Slash's departure??!!LOL!
'What I thought was beautiful don't live inside of you anymore'... You think he wrote that for Slash?!! Come on!!!!
The lyrics are pretty generic actually, and while I don't see how anyone could think that it's a serenade for Slash, I do think that it's pretty easy to read almost anything you like into the lyrics, which is probably the idea.
killingvector
Legend

Bitches leave

« Reply #159 on: May 15, 2005, 12:40:21 PM »

well, the song IS called the Blues, a possible connotation to a certain blues based guitar player. I don't think anyone can dismiss this as pertaining to Slash. As with many of Axl's new songs, the source of the heartback, anger, or disappointment is target non specific.

I do think they need another guitarist. Having heard Finck and Fortus butcher far too many solos (hear the Toyko/Osaka shows to really feel the burn) and even foul up their own solos (hear Finck's stumbling, off tempo Blues Pittsburgh SB solo for example) , I was more impressed with Buckethead's skills as a player of both old and new material. His absence will be felt.

I'm still hoping that Bucket comes back when this album nears release.

I find that i'm far more powerful and effective when i can celebrate another's way, rather than to wish to own it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 28 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: