Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2024, 05:23:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228486 Posts in 43274 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The CD release date rumor / speculation thread
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 374 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The CD release date rumor / speculation thread  (Read 640511 times)
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #540 on: August 07, 2004, 12:35:17 PM »

W8! what made U say within' the next 2 weeks? Shocked

BTW, they must have read Tommys interview. hihi
http://www.tophitsonline.com/newreleases.htm
youngerformofaxl
« Reply #541 on: August 07, 2004, 12:42:43 PM »

2 Weeks was my only little prediction.
ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #542 on: August 07, 2004, 12:49:54 PM »

I C? Wink have a good summer holiday m8.

I'm a happy maniac as well. beer
« Last Edit: August 07, 2004, 12:51:27 PM by ppbebe » Logged
nesquick
\m/
Banned
Legend

Richard Fortus, the phenomenon

« Reply #543 on: August 07, 2004, 03:54:54 PM »

Well, I can't confirm it 100 percent but there are plans for a european tour this December/January
alright. I don't think GN'R management want to do again the same 2002 tour mistake. If this rumour is true, the album will get out before the band starts the tour. I feel it's going to come out soon. let's see what happens in the futur.

Here today... waiting for Chinese Democracy
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #544 on: August 07, 2004, 09:01:09 PM »

By the way, within' the next 2 weeks, we will see who is right about this whole tour thing and (possibly) the release date of CD itself.

Please note, that this is my last day on here until about the 16th or 17th of August and then I'll be back.

god speed
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #545 on: August 07, 2004, 09:03:10 PM »

We will see, time will tell, and what will be, will be. I personally have my doubts. But I doubt everything. Wink
Mutherfunker
555-Dr-Shoe
VIP

Axl Bundy

« Reply #546 on: August 08, 2004, 01:04:33 PM »

god speed

God speed - what speed is that? You'd imagine it's something god would do in his ferrari, or maybe it's one above warp speed..... "God Speed, Mr Sulu"  hihi  Tongue

@#$%Funker
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #547 on: August 09, 2004, 01:17:32 AM »

god speed

God speed - what speed is that? You'd imagine it's something god would do in his ferrari, or maybe it's one above warp speed..... "God Speed, Mr Sulu"? hihi? Tongue

@#$%Funker
I think its like Bon Voyage, kind of saying to say to someone when they are leaving. Since god made time he can change it so in theory God's Speed could be very fast or very slow.. What a thinker

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #548 on: August 09, 2004, 11:55:22 AM »

This is starting to look bleak.

Oh, and that's my own little prediction.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Scabbie
Legend

Time is relative

« Reply #549 on: August 10, 2004, 01:45:55 PM »

Its been 19 weeks to the day since Axl announced Buckethead's departure.

Its been just over 5 weeks since BTM and the Nov rumour - which the management has denied (to Mysteron anyway).

Now its just 3 months until the first possible (US) release date and still no news.

Tomorrow more legal proceddings begin...things could go either way, or just stagnate

I would say things are looking bleak too. I just don't think its possible in 3 months to release a CD with no (official) prior notice. Especially one of the most publicised forthcoming albums of the decade.

I just wish the management would officially deny the November rumour to the press. At least it would stop the confusion. Then again, I suppose thats half the fun.

Here today...ready to rock
GnFnR87
Legend

GNR FOREVER!!!! AXL'S THE BEST!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #550 on: August 10, 2004, 01:55:11 PM »

u obviously have a point but there still is time until November, we'll see

Shows:?? 5/17/06 @ Hammerstein, 11/10/06 @ MSG
It's so close..... i can feel it.....
Krispy Kreme
« Reply #551 on: August 10, 2004, 05:05:44 PM »

god speed

God speed - what speed is that? You'd imagine it's something god would do in his ferrari, or maybe it's one above warp speed..... "God Speed, Mr Sulu"? hihi? Tongue

@#$%Funker
I think its like Bon Voyage, kind of saying to say to someone when they are leaving. Since god made time he can change it so in theory God's Speed could be very fast or very slow.. What a thinker

Hey, that's pretty funny. The original meaning, as far as I know, is that it is an old English phrase that means "return quickly" with the implication that your trip will be safe. Anyone from UK want to check me on that?
Eazy E
Backstreet's back
Legend

« Reply #552 on: August 10, 2004, 10:36:24 PM »

Its been 19 weeks to the day since Axl announced Buckethead's departure.

Its been just over 5 weeks since BTM and the Nov rumour - which the management has denied (to Mysteron anyway).

Now its just 3 months until the first possible (US) release date and still no news.

Tomorrow more legal proceddings begin...things could go either way, or just stagnate

I would say things are looking bleak too. I just don't think its possible in 3 months to release a CD with no (official) prior notice. Especially one of the most publicised forthcoming albums of the decade.

I just wish the management would officially deny the November rumour to the press. At least it would stop the confusion. Then again, I suppose thats half the fun.

3 months is plenty of time... if the album is 100% ready, they could just assault us for 3 months... how much notice do you want? a year?

You're right it's been a long time since Axl announced Buckethead left.  He also said they would hopefully announce a release date soon, which we haven't seen.  So that's a negative.

The BTM thing?  Means nothing... Management wouldn't say "Yes, that's correct, we told VH1 the release date"... so you can still keep faith in that.

It's entirely possible for the album to be coming out in November... but we should know better than to even start getting our hopes up.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #553 on: August 11, 2004, 10:33:46 AM »

Just wanted to give a heads up on a Nov release date...really just a bit of info.

The deadline for Thanksgiving advertising (meaning the Thanksgiving Flyers that most major retailers put together for their Black Friday sales) is going to be, probably, between September 24th and October 8th. There is typically, a 6 week lead time from the printer, but that usually baloons to 8 weeks for any holiday season flyers.  If the album is going to come out in November, you would have to figure that it would be a good bet we will hear something "official" before then.

Just an FYI.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #554 on: August 11, 2004, 11:02:33 AM »

Just wanted to give a heads up on a Nov release date...really just a bit of info.

The deadline for Thanksgiving advertising (meaning the Thanksgiving Flyers that most major retailers put together for their Black Friday sales) is going to be, probably, between September 24th and October 8th.
Just an FYI.

This isn't entirely accurate. As stated in previous posts, I work in advertising for a major retailer and know the lead times for when we release a circular to the printer. You're right that the holidays do require extra lead time, but definitley NOT 8 weeks. Last year a friend of mine in the music dept. called me to say that they were putting GnR in our circular the day after thanksgiving. After an hour of happiness and posting it here, she talked to the label rep and realized it was the Greatest Hits, and called me back to give me the bad news.

However, even though street dates for music remains very loose 11 months out of the year, the record companies have their sh*t together when it comes to their November schedule.
They wouldn't just slip the new GnR in at the last minute before circulars go to press. We'll know before those deadlines. On top of the record companies promotion, they have to arrange for signage and space in stores for all the major releases during the holidays, which isn't easy.
Back to the original point, the drop dead date for making art changes to a weekly circular is about 3--1/2 weeks from the street date, but ideally about 4 weeks. The holiday circulars are between 4-5 weeks, if you're talking about the music retailers who have huge accounts with printers and use them every week of the year (Walmart, Best Buy, Target, Circuit City, etc..)

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #555 on: August 11, 2004, 12:41:35 PM »

I was told, by someone who is actively involved in putting their flyer together, that their lead time for their Thanksgiving flyers is 6 to 8 weeks (and remains that until the end of the year). 6 weeks for "regular weeks", 8 weeks for the Thanksgiving flyer, the week before X-mas Flyer, and the "New Years" sales flyers. While they haven't set their deadline yet for the Thanksgiving flyer, she said it would probably be sometime between September 24th and October 8th.? She is in a position to know (working in PR and advertising for a mid-sized music retail chain owned by a MUCH larger chain).

If your lead times are shorter (due to volume, which I don't doubt, with the printer), that's great.? The fact remains, however, that for the "average sized" retail unit (re: Not Walmart, Circuit City, Target, etc), the lead time is legit.? I would be surprised if Geffen/Interscope ignored the "average sized" retail outlets and musical specialty shops by dropping a release date AFTER the first week (or two) in October.? Though, admittedly, they did try to do it with GH last year, so who knows.

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest, here.? Saying it's not accurate FOR YOU is entirely fair, especially since you qualify that you work for a large retailer (I'm assuming a Walmart caliber, here).? I just want to make sure it's clear that the information isn't entirely innaccurate, either.

Edit: Keep in mind, I'm talking about a 6 to 8 week lead time on SUBMISSIONS from lables/vendors: ie: pictures, graphics, titles, track lists, etc.? Maybe that's where the disconnect is?? They need the info from the labels far enough in advance so they can do the flyer layout prior to sending it to the printers...or at least that's how she explained it to me.? I think the turn around time from the PRINTER is, in fact, about 4-5 weeks.....My original post maybe wasn't as clear on that as it should have been. Smiley
« Last Edit: August 11, 2004, 12:49:23 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
NickNasty
Tha Nastiest
VIP

Alive.

« Reply #556 on: August 11, 2004, 03:43:33 PM »

So, am I right to infer that either by pilferk's or Lesty's assesment, if we don't hear anything by mid-October at the VERY latest, then we can consider November a total wash?

---Nick Nasty--

Boston, MA 12/2/02          Worcester, MA 11/8/06

Dublin, Ireland 6/9/06       E. Rutherford, NJ 7/23/2016
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #557 on: August 11, 2004, 05:12:17 PM »

Pif...most of your information is right on. I'm not arguing with you at all.

For mid-sized retailers who don't print circulars 52 weeks a year, they most
likely do need a longer lead time than major retailers who have more larger contracts with
more printers.
When an ad is assembled, the music buyers basically takes bids and the creative team starts assembling the ad. You're right that the artwork can come very late in the process. And yes, titles slip in and out of the ad during the weeks it's put together because of all the street date changes.

The entertainment section of the circular ususally has the most "late" changes, where they have to rework the page and send color changes to the printers because of the nature of the music business.
But despite all of this boring info on how to release a circular, I think you can bet on that
if CD will be announced for november, they'll be a big announcement and you won't find out from someone like me who sees the circular as they get created.

And your general message is also correct. If this fiaso draws on past early October, the label would see no reason to release it in November if they can't get the CD in print ads for the holiday shopping season in late nov/early dec.
 Embarrassed
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #558 on: August 11, 2004, 05:24:19 PM »

I would say let's look at this logically.

If we do not here the release date by the end of August, we are not going to get Chinese Democracy in November.

This release will only come with the largest marketing promotions, and nothing short of that. Its really as simple as that. If it is to come in November, it would surely use the MTV Awards to do its bidding in whatever capacity that is.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Lesty
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #559 on: August 11, 2004, 07:10:54 PM »

I would say let's look at this logically.

If we do not here the release date by the end of August, we are not going to get Chinese Democracy in November.

This release will only come with the largest marketing promotions, and nothing short of that. Its really as simple as that. If it is to come in November, it would surely use the MTV Awards to do its bidding in whatever capacity that is.

I honestly don't think all that promotion is necessary. This is arguably the most anticipated rock n roll album in the last 15 years. The label and management aren't going to have to go knocking on doors and blitzing every talk show with this news.

When Axl and the record company green light this album, I think the promotion is going to take care of itself. Every major music/entertainment news outlet on the planet will be reporting it.

Getting official news and word of mouth buzz on the internet today would be worth millions in promotional dollars 10 or 15 years ago.  Yes, the VMA's would be nice, but I don't think it's going to make or break the launch of Chinese Democracy. We don't need 3 straight months of hype for an album that people have already been waiting 8 years for. Even casual rock fans will realize the signifigance of this CD. With that being said, 3 months of promotion wouldn't hurt, but I don't think it's a do or die situation.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 374 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: